• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KB Girl

KB Girl keeps a journal

This challenge is all about.... life after the kettlebell sport world championship. 

So while I'll be talking about that a lot, the main thing I want to do during this challenge is enjoying the freedom of not having an important competition to prep for! That means it's time to do some serious strength training AND lots of play :)

I'm choosing a journaling theme because I want to reflect, practice my writing, practice sharing AND I'm just really enjoying my bullet journal.. it's been a bit life changing, so I want to share about that a bit too perhaps. 

1143907685_Foto22-05-19145058.thumb.jpg.ea21f88ae541cf29952d1df2fca558ea.jpg

Goals:

1. Journaling

• reflect on experiences at and leading up to this worlds
  • share things about / from my bullet journal and why it's so good for me

2. Training

• keep track
  • plan (and lift) a serious strength training cycle 
  • do something playful/different every week, chase some skills or other shinies (suggestions for this are VERY welcome!)

3. Finish my online course

While it's all very interesting the video's I have to watch are SOOO dry and I already know a lot of this stuff which makes it really hard to concentrate and to find the motivation for it- but I want to finish this within this challenge. 

701480526_Foto20-05-19160618.thumb.jpg.002e5cd72865b2025cdb30645fd62485.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Such a thorough course outline spread, haha! 

Yea I REALLY needed some boxes to tick off to inspire me to get this thing done.  

It also gave me something to do while listening to one of the lectures ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Yea I REALLY needed some boxes to tick off to inspire me to get this thing done.

Its crazy how those little boxes can inspire

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the thought :) 

i’m lifting tomorrow at 9:15 Irish time. It’s really bloody early so that makes me a bit nervous about what to do with food but it will be fine. Then snatch at 10:45, which is a bit of a short break.

First day of lifting just concluded. It’s... wow mostly just very tiring. First one on my team lifted at 9:30 and the last one at 19:15, so with a few breaks in between I’ve basically been here in the comp hall prepping (chalking) bells, making sure everyone is somewhat okay and doing my country rep duties. 

Im tired, but also.. well I really love this. Love seeing everyone from other countries, catching up, watching how people deal with the mental game, watching technique. Being responsible for my team and growing the sport in my country. Definitely want to be doing this even if/when it’s hard. 

• Like 4

All done!

My jerk set didn't go as I had hoped- I knew I was taking a risk shooting for 120 reps, it was basically fly or die.. and I died. My legs completely cramped up around minute 7 and I couldn't hold the bells up anymore, crashed and only got 75 reps (that's 29 reps under my PB). As a consolation prize I got a good PB on my snatch set, from 89 reps to 105 reps. It's now finally higher than my jerk PB, as it should be. 

I was fine with this, I had already made peace with this possibility before going into the set at that pace.. but I just looked up the other scores and saw I got in 4th and would have gotten 3rd place if I'd paced myself and gotten at least 94 reps (which would have been easy without blowing myself up by going as fast as possible). Oh well.. perhaps then I wouldn't have gotten this snatch result, so who knows really.

My team has done really well, 2 golds and a bronze with veterans, a gold and a bronze with amateurs and one silver medal at the highest level :)

My body now feels like it's been hit by a truck. 

The rest of my team is at the after party.. at the thought of a party I reverted back to my nerdy socially awkward 16 year old self so.. I'm going to take a bath and go to bed x) 

Oh, people said nice things about me; 

• Like 5

Wow those are amazing results! You’re fucking awesome, both as a coach and as an athlete. Kudos for crashing and burning, and being ok with it. That’s some excellent mental game. And hey it might’ve worked!

That's pretty awesome feedback!

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I was fine with this, I had already made peace with this possibility before going into the set at that pace.. but I just looked up the other scores and saw I got in 4th and would have gotten 3rd place if I'd paced myself and gotten at least 94 reps (which would have been easy without blowing myself up by going as fast as possible). Oh well.. perhaps then I wouldn't have gotten this snatch result, so who knows really.

Next time ;)

• Like 1

AHHH! New snatch PR!! Congrats to you and all of your awesome athletes. :D And yes, I am very impressed with your mental game and continuing to just keep being awesome because I'm sure that jerk situation probably smarted. 

Thanks everyone for all the nice words! 

We spend two days in Dublin afterwards and then when we got home spend pretty much every available minute either with Emma or catching up on work. Now I've just got all the KB lifters programming left to do, hopefully I'll make a dent in that this evening/saturday. 

I was eager to get back to training so I took Emma to the gym with me on Wednesday. I did some rowing while she played on the other rowing machine, we hung in the rings together (skin the cat and assisted pull-ups for me), some animal crawls and leg work with elastic bands. Then she got to watch a video while I did my squats (a pyramid leading up to 3x55kg). I see lots of leg work in my future, then maybe next time they won't abandon me mid set ;)

Thursday my sister came to train with me- we did KB jerks first, my first real sets of jerk with 2x20kg. It was a slow pace (6rpm) but I managed first 1:00, then 2:00 and then even 3:00. Then we played around with barbell snatches and with barbell C&J. We finished with as many reps of possible deadlifting the weight we'd been jerking.. my sister did 22x55kg and I only managed 11x - darnit. After PT clients I did some rowing and hip re/prehab stuff and this morning (Friday) I also did some rowing and hip stuff. 

On 5/27/2019 at 7:34 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Wow those are amazing results! You’re fucking awesome, both as a coach and as an athlete. Kudos for crashing and burning, and being ok with it. That’s some excellent mental game. And hey it might’ve worked!

You're too kind! It might've worked.. it's interesting why it didn't! I had expected that if I would die before the end that I would have noticed it by my heart rate and perhaps would have been able to at least slow down. But I didn't notice it at all, my HR seemed manageable... and then legs just completely cramped up. So they weren't getting enough rest during the movement to move lactates. Very interesting! 

On 5/28/2019 at 7:11 PM, raptron said:

AHHH! New snatch PR!! Congrats to you and all of your awesome athletes. :D And yes, I am very impressed with your mental game and continuing to just keep being awesome because I'm sure that jerk situation probably smarted. 

It definitely smarted! It's interesting to note how much you care what other people think of you/your performance. It was also interesting to observe my own team and really pro athletes handle the same thing.. (there was lots of crying) and I think the severity of the reaction is how much you feel that the outcome of your set says about you as a person. 

In that aspect I have it a bit easier than the rest perhaps- because I rate the importance of my job as a coach way above my own athletic performance.. and especially because I'm already comfortable with the idea of not being the best athlete there so not having that expectation of myself or the perceived expectation of others. And I do feel some pressure to handle it well because I'm setting an example :D

• Like 4

Friday turned out to be a really nice day. After I updated my brother in law came to drop off a sandbox for Emma and we spend the rest of the afternoon and evening outside. Playing, tending the garden, picking raspberries (my plant reaches above my shoulders now) and we even had dinner outside. 

Saturday started with training. I did a squat test which ended up being 15x35kg and 15x40kg, then I worked on my static rack hold with double kettlebells... also did static jerks and some longcycle practice with 12's and 16's. Then I sat on the rower for 12:00 (2500m), hung in the rings, did A LOT of mobility work and played around with handstands some. 

I've been analysing my jerk set- as I mentioned I had expected to fail because of a too high heart rate, which of course partly caused my legs to blow up... but I also think I didn't manage to relax my legs enough when and where I could. I do relax them when I have the bells overhead, so the problem must be in the rack position. 

What needs to happen is locking my knees and really tilting my pelvis so my elbows have a good spot to lean on.. then I can fully relax my shoulders (I can do this) and I should also be able to relax my quads.. but I'm guessing this isn't happening. I find I have trouble rotating my pelvis that much without using a lot of muscle to keep it there. 

If anyone has any tips on how to gain mobility or better motor control for that, they'd be very very welcome. 

The rest of my work day was good, though I ran out of time before I was done with everything (of course) and then we had a BBQ at my moms, which was nice.. but I fell asleep halfway through. Last couple of nights really catching up with me. 

So I have a lot of programs left to write for my kettlebell team (and also a couple for other gym members), but I've mostly gotten the analysing and planning phase done. Basically I look at what their weak points are and then decide which type of training I want them to do to correct it- and then also just keeping in the basics/maintenance things. 

Now what's left is really mostly a bit of creativity to write the program in such a way that it won't feel monotonous and their brains are kept busy with just work instead of thinking about how much it hurts ;)

• Like 3

Finished setting up my training log for this challenge- actually decided to go with a very simple date plus what I did instead of the previous pre-planned volume setups.

We'll see how it goes. 

Also set up my June monthly spread and finished/migrated open things from May. Photos behind the spoiler. 

No big differences, just added a sleep tracker for this month as it's not a challenge item this time but I'd still like to see how I'm doing. 

720272898_Foto01-06-19230513.thumb.jpg.1fb9c46ab09611eb90a29ac305bafa9a.jpg

2017860079_Foto01-06-19230046.thumb.jpg.e78f0e07ee5723c28b451ae474aff179.jpg

• Like 3