• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:36 AM, raptron said:

(Albino rabbit warrior warren who were part of a doomsday cult that believes the surface world no longer exists, but the younger members of the warren have discovered a tunnel and evidence to suggest the Overlight isn't all fire and brimstone.) 

Awesome! Write the story! 

On 6/14/2019 at 6:36 AM, raptron said:

Deadlifts: 4 x 1 x 300#, bumped it down to 290# for 2 x 2 just so I got all of the prescribed reps in. 

Also Awesome! At least, it seems perfectly awesome to me. 

On 6/14/2019 at 1:34 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Ummm you'll share this somewhere if/when you write it? I'm intrigued with just the premise hook!

Haha, sure. :)

On 6/14/2019 at 4:54 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

this sounds painful?

We were so far gone it was just good entertainment. 

On 6/15/2019 at 8:00 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Maybe you need another accidental miscalculation :P No worries though, you’ll beat the brain gremlins next time.

I DO! Someone needs to load my bar for me and blindfold me.

On 6/15/2019 at 8:12 PM, Harriet said:

Also Awesome! At least, it seems perfectly awesome to me. 

I was happy to get consistent singles at least.

Day 3.5

Paused bench: 5 x 4 x 130#

Close grip bench: 4 x 6 x 120# 

Squats: 4 x 4 x 245#

DB press: 4 x 10 x 30# dbs

Headed home, showered, and went straight out for a going away gathering for one of my teammates. We danceeeed for hours in a mostly empty bar (woo). After it closed, I was starving and some of us headed to a dumpling house until 3 AM or so. I went home and slept very happily after that.

Day 3.6

No gymnastics practice in the morning left me feeling a bit confused, but I went climbing after all! I ran into a crew of my old lifting pals at the climbing gym because it used to be my main gym for a while. They gave me shit for never visiting. I mentioned that I had been planning to go for a run after doing my bouldering workout, and they were like "like 3-4 miles?" and I replied, "yeah!" And suddenly, instead, I'm signed up for a 5k on Sunday for charity. They got me. 

My climbing felt really hard, but I guess it has been at least a year (??) since I had a bouldering session. I managed to flail my way up one v2 by sheer force of will (and long limb lengths), but otherwise, I mostly did all the v0s and v1s. My hands burned out very quickly, so I did press handstand practice off of yoga blocks and other handstand hold work as rest between climb attempts. I also did my weekly shenanigans (still not KB juggling, sorry!):

Sat also included meeting up with a buddy for patio drinkin' and Smash bros. Man, I am so bad at video games these days. The price of gains, I guess. :P

Day 3.7

Sunday am, I went and ran the 5k with the gym pals. I stuck with two guys the whole time and we were at a ~9 minute/mile pace. I was able to actually talk and participate in conversation most of the way, which is shocking to me, and if not my fastest 5k, that IS a different kind of personal best, haha. After, we got some food, I headed home, showered,  took a nap, cooked for the week, made more scones (feta and walnut, but I wanted them to be a bit sweeter because a cafe I love makes them that way, so I've been eating them with honey), and chiillllled.

Lifting: 10/10

Shenanigans: 3/3

Writing: 6/6

• Like 6

Day 4.1

Gymnastics practice finally! I had had a kind of tough day. My morning - early afternoon was at chemo with my friend for about 3.5 hours. The conversation and seeing her was great as usual, but when I left, I felt pretty down about the whole situation. I got in to work around 2:30 pm and a report that we've been working on for a tricky client got booted back to us because the client saw a typo in the executive summary (which honestly, I don't actually think is a typo, just a different style than she wants). I had to sit down and start combing through the awful, dense, Report of Doom once more. I didn't even finish it up before I had to leave for gymnastics.

Practice was a bit slow start for me. It's been over a week! I did floor basics and some mediocre front handspring front pike front tucks. A teammate suggested I try front pike front pike to try to trick myself into trying harder/turning over more in the front pike (which might actually help!) but by then, my willpower and drive was pretty low and I just sat it down to my butt.

From there, I did go to bars. I did a few basics, and then I finished up with 10 more toe-to-high (toe shoots). I managed to kip out of three of them again, which makes me so pleased. I took video for you guys this time! The first one is probably the best in terms of getting my body in the right positions, but the form on all of them is a bit loose. The low bar kip + cast on the last one is probably the cleanest because I watched back the other videos and was like "why am I bending my legs for no reason...?" haha. Video is so helpful! 

As it was a Monday team practice, we got tacos after (and rosé and some palomas).

Lifting: 10/13

Shenanigans: 3/4

Writing: 6/8

T - lifting 

W - lifting + D&D 

Th - gymnastics probably and if I'm feeling ambitious/awake, I'll catch a late showing of Booksmart after 

F - yoga at lunch + head up to Portland, ME

S - 5k in the morning + bachelorette weekend rest of the day

S - depends on when I get back! I am lowkey hoping for a beach day but if the weather is bad, maybe I'll do an evening lifting session at the gym

• Like 8

On 6/17/2019 at 8:44 PM, raptron said:

I also did my weekly shenanigans

That doesn't even look possible :D 

1 hour ago, raptron said:

I took video for you guys this time!

So cool!  I guess it helps that you are able to kip from the little glide you are getting out of the shoots.   I have to swing up to almost 90 degrees before I can kip up :D 

Also, I would totally read your short story about the albino rabbit warrior cult!  The premise is awesome :) 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2019 at 5:44 AM, raptron said:

I have had this on my list of things to try some day ever since I saw it posted by a roller derby trainer as a great check for hip mobility.  I suspect I will fail spectacularly at it. :D Is it as challenging as it looks?

28 minutes ago, Elennare said:

I have had this on my list of things to try some day ever since I saw it posted by a roller derby trainer as a great check for hip mobility.  I suspect I will fail spectacularly at it. :D Is it as challenging as it looks?

It actually isn't too bad! I couldn't figure out what was going on without trying it myself, but once I figured out where my knees were supposed to be at any given point, I was able to replicate it pretty quickly. :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, raptron said:

It actually isn't too bad! I couldn't figure out what was going on without trying it myself, but once I figured out where my knees were supposed to be at any given point, I was able to replicate it pretty quickly. :)

Ooh, now I need to try this sometime! I just assumed it was totally impossible and you were superhuman (you still are, but this particular video isn't evidence of that fact).

forgot to mention i showed my dad that video while i was with him on saturday! he was amazed haha. so thanks for providing quality wholesome entertainment :D 

it's suppooooosed to be fantastic on sunday. if so, let's make sure that beach day happens for ya!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Ooh, now I need to try this sometime! I just assumed it was totally impossible and you were superhuman (you still are, but this particular video isn't evidence of that fact).

It's kind of like a 90/90 stretch plus uh, being able to lift your leg up behind you, which I think most active people probably can do? 

17 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

forgot to mention i showed my dad that video while i was with him on saturday! he was amazed haha. so thanks for providing quality wholesome entertainment :D 

Happy to entertain! :D 

17 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

it's suppooooosed to be fantastic on sunday. if so, let's make sure that beach day happens for ya!

tenor.gif?itemid=5502996

Day 4.2

I was excited for my heavy squat session (3 x 3 at 260#), but after one of my warm-up sets, I got shooting nerve pain behind/along my right knee. I did some glute stretches and lacrosse ball stuff, did some hip wiggling and sciatic nerve flossing, etc. I didn't feel it happen during any of these things, but as soon as I walked back to my rack to go for another set, I got more twinges. I did another set and it twinged a bit even during the squats, so I just racked it and unloaded the bar. If my nerve was being squished, I didn't want to squish it more with heavy ass squats.

I though about doing my bench workout, but the benches were full, and I was in too gloomy a mood to want to work in with anyone. I just left instead. I walked home in the rain being a big mope.

I went home, changed, and met up to see my friend who is moving to Georgia next week. I'm missing his going away thing this weekend, so he invited me to crash someone else's going away thing. Hahah. We drank at the restaurant he works at with some friends, met some puppies, and then went to the other going away thing. I won a game of cutthroat (pool) mostly by accident. It wasn't a very good bar, and I got a bit tired of learning about drama about people I don't know (because it was a pretty soft drama -- give me some soap opera drama!). So, I left a bit early and met my other pals back across at a bar I love. I had one drink there and was asleep by 12:30pm -- VERY GOOD for me in a bar crawl-ish state, haha. Also distracted me from my lifting related moping.

Lifting: 10/13

Writing: 6/8

I'm doing some work at my standing desk set-up today and will continue mobilizing/activating/flossing/etc to try to get my body to cooperate by the time tonight's workout rolls around. I will hope to do my squats, but will at least bench if nothing else. 

• Like 6

This is going to be a (positive!) post about my body, but if you don't want to read any stuff about body changes or comments, skip it! :)

Harkening back to the "getting too big conversation" where I said growth is desirable to me, I love when people comment on how strong I look. A lot of people have been commenting on my size in the last couple of months. When I went to my old gym and saw the old crew, they were like "dangggg, you got swole!" I've also gotten comments from people at my lifting gym about looking jacked. Friends have told me things that THEIR friends or boyfriends had said after seeing me or running into me. To the point where I finally am like "ok WHAT, really?"

I wasn't under the impression that I've had a ton of muscle growth or change in the last couple of years. I insisted that people were just making comments because I've actually gotten outside and no longer completely resemble a ghost. I've been about the same weight range, give or take 4-5 lbs, since like fall 2014. I stopped doing much by way of progress photos because changing how my body looked wasn't really related to my goals at all. 

BUT since switching to my lifting gym in fall 2017, I've run at least 3-4 hypertrophy blocks and I guess they were DOING STUFF.

November 2016 (after squat day, IIRC) vs yesterday morning (after a night of tacos and drinking, lol)
705520f2d3ab939b801a9bbfb71b5226.png

Obviously the lightning, mirror, distance, outfit, etc. are different because I wasn't going to try THAT hard, but hey! I definitely grew! Especially my quads, my goodness. I was probably around 145 in the image on the left and I'm maybe 2-3 lbs heavier on the right. MUSCKLES! I MADE SOME!!!

• Like 8

I did some glute stretches and lacrosse ball stuff, did some hip wiggling and sciatic nerve flossing, etc.

Sorry about your pain and the squat-less, bench-less day. What on earth is nerve flossing??? 

We drank at the restaurant he works at with some friends, met some puppies, and then went to the other going away thing.

This sounds like a great restaurant! Or were the puppies in a non-restaurant location? I feel all parties should have puppies. Armfuls of fluffy puppies. 

4 hours ago, raptron said:

MUSCKLES! I MADE SOME!!!

Wauw! a whole lot of them! Your quads look AWESOME. 

Glad you had something to make up for the sucky squat day :) 

On 6/12/2019 at 10:36 PM, raptron said:

I thought this would be actual like, multiple bell juggling, but googling suggests it is more like flipping a bell at the top of a swing? Do you have any guidance? :D 

You can go a lot of different ways :D but I'd recommend trying a basic flip first. A simple somersaulting bell or a horizontal flip (the handle being horizontal) are probably easiest.. and ehm.. resist the urge to do the hip forward thing, that makes it impossible. it's a squatty swing, not a hinge-y swing. 

Sorry I was late replying to this!

I'll just leave this video here, Sergey Rudnev was a kettlebell sport world championship several times over in his day, but this performance is mostly hirlarious. Especially the leg in the air at the very end. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sorry about your pain and the squat-less, bench-less day. What on earth is nerve flossing??? 

It's also called nerve gliding! My favorite physio explains the concept a bit in this post: https://www.cirquephysio.com/want-an-amazing-pike-you-better-start-flossingyour-nerves/ . I run into it more with my ulnar nerve on my bad shoulder side than my sciatic nerve usually, but they're useful tools to have in your arsenal! Nerve tension loves to sneak up on me. 

This sounds like a great restaurant! Or were the puppies in a non-restaurant location? I feel all parties should have puppies. Armfuls of fluffy puppies. 

They were in the patio area! A lot of outdoor seating is dog friendly. :) I also agree that all parties SHOULD have puppies! I'm going to a rental house with some friends next week and one of them has a corgi puppy who will be joining us. I'm very excited.

You can go a lot of different ways :D but I'd recommend trying a basic flip first. A simple somersaulting bell or a horizontal flip (the handle being horizontal) are probably easiest.. and ehm.. resist the urge to do the hip forward thing, that makes it impossible. it's a squatty swing, not a hinge-y swing. 

Sorry I was late replying to this!

Haha, ok! I'll probably have some time to give it a shot tomorrow. 

I'll just leave this video here, Sergey Rudnev was a kettlebell sport world championship several times over in his day, but this performance is mostly hirlarious. Especially the leg in the air at the very end. 

Hahahha! Wow. This is... so very Russian. I LOVE the y-scale (leg in the air) bit at the end.

Day 4.3

I spent some of the day working standing and some of the day sitting/stretching, anticipating that I might get weird twinges again, but nothing arose! So, I went to the gym for take 2 at squat day. Nothing cropped up during my warm-up sets or during any of my stretching, so by the time I got to my work sets, I was just so happy that I was able to squat that I wasn't even nervous about them. Plus, my theory about Sundays killing my squats turned out to be pretty accurate -- this was the best heavy day I've had for squats in ages. 

Squats: 3 x 3 x 260#

Bench: 3 x 3 x 135#

Chin-ups: 4, 4, 3

Push-ups: 3 x 15

RDLs: 3 x 6 x 185#

I should have done more accessory work because this was technically supposed to be two workouts in one day, but I just didn't have the time/patience for it and I was starting to get hungryyyy. Instead, I went home and ate dinner from my mostly pre-prepared food from Sunday (including a esquites inspired salad, chicken sausages, and cheese and crackers with cucumber). I took a power nap before D&D because I was SUPER SLEEPY and managed to get up and on right on time. 

Unfortunately, my internet connection was TERRIBLE the entire time and I kept lagging out. This seemed to be endlessly amusing to the party, though, so no real loss, I guess! We still progressed pretty far along where I was hoping they'd go. They've left Detritropolis in a plush tram to head back to the local Duergar queen's territory and investigate a mining rush that seems to be spurred on by demon diamonds. One of my players is having a baby within the next week or two, so we may have a bit of a hiatus during that time. Or have someone play his character for him... which always goes well. :P

Lifting: 11/13

Writing: 7/8

• Like 6

QUADDAMN!! Obviously, other muscle growth too, but those really pop out - clearly hypertrophy treated you well. :D And glad that you had a good round 2 with the squats - those days when your body doesn't want to cooperate with the planned movement stuff are the worst.

• Thanks 1

Day 4.4

It was incredibly humid yesterday and that included in the gymnastics gym. I wasn't even sure if I was sweating or just collecting moisture from the air around me. I did a good chunk of front tumbling, including 5 front handspring + front pike + front tucks to my feet -- 3 were good. I just THOUGHT about doing a front handspring front pike + front pike and it did miraculously help me get my feet under me better in the first one. I tried one for real as my last double salto attempt but stalled out and landed on my butt, haha.

I went to uneven bars to practice trying a new way to get into back uprises, and it didn't go so well. :P I think I need to practice back hip circles with no swing for a bit to get the correct body movements down. My hands threatened  to rip, so I was only on bars for 20 minutes or so.

Beam was mostly basics, and then I practiced my front walkover + round-off series for the first time in a while. I connected two nicely and the rest were a mixed bag. Somehow, it was already the end of practice! 

I headed home, ate, showered, and packed for the weekend trip. I went to bed at 12pm or so and WAS soundly asleep until the cats decided 4 AM (it's always 4 AM!) was time for some serious 1v1 cat arena games. I shut them out of my room eventually, but then my cat wanted to get back in, so then I shut HIM in and then he wanted to get back out and it was this whole thing. I think I managed to get back to sleep at 5:30 AM. :/ 

Lifting: 11/13

Writing: 7/8

• Like 3

The sequence on the bars :wub:

Very nice quads! Shoulders and biceps have also grown!

How do you programme hypertrophy block? I guess it's a lot of volume and a lot of eating, but for how long? Do you do cuts as well?

I'm always in awe of your quads - basically every time you post a photo in booty shorts or leo. :D Which is often so yay for me. ;) 

Yay for an awesome squat day!

19 hours ago, @mu said:

How do you programme hypertrophy block? I guess it's a lot of volume and a lot of eating, but for how long? Do you do cuts as well?

A good number of powerlifting programs will include one for you -- it tends to be high rep (8-12) sets and sometimes a lot of them. They're usually 4-5 weeks long and then lead into a strength block (which is more like 3-5 reps). The aesthetics are just a nice side effect -- the idea of hypertrophy blocks in strength training is fundamentally centered around "muscle moves mass" rather than necessarily trying to get showy and body-builder-y. But I do like looking like I lift. ;)

During hypertrophy blocks, I wind up eating more and sleeping a bit more. I still find them less tiring than peaking blocks (which tend to be more like very heavy doubles, triples, and singles) when it comes to overall body fatigue and recovery time. I don't necessarily approach these blocks as a bulk. I don't actively go out of my way to eat way more, but try to eat when I'm hungry, which is often because my body knows it's in trouble, haha. I don't do cuts either. My body seems to self-regulate well and previous attempts to mess with that made me very unhappy. My mindset has changed much more than my body -- the me from Nov 2016, while probably a bit leaner than my current body, was not very fond of working out without a shirt. The current me can't be bothered to worry about not having a visible 6-pack, so the shirt comes off pretty quick when it's hot. :P

Day 4.5

I got out of work surprisingly early (3:30!) and headed right to the gym. 

Deadlifts: 3 x 3 x 290# (these were nice and smooth)

Front squats: 3 x 6 x 175# 

Rows: 3 x 10 x 50# db

One legged glute bridge: 3 x 25 x side

Lat raises: 3 x 10 x 15#

Got home, finished packing some last minute things, took a quick shower and headed out to Portland, ME! Some of us wound up going dancing at a very bizarre (but right up my alley) bar with light up dance floors, taxidermy animals, swivel arm chairs right out of a 1960s TV exec's office, and all kinds of strangeness. 

Day 4.6

Got up very early and ran my fastest 5k so far: 

984c404b8c5b3cdb16081f8de013e4ac.png

I was just in a "let's goooo" mood. We hung around the beer garden, ate our free snax and pizza, had a beer and then watched the folks (and bride!) running the half marathon come in. After the race, we showered and, I left to meet up with a friend at a local brewery for some beers. Following that, the bachelorette party did a paint and sip, which was somewhat aurora borealis themed, but mine took on a bit more of a sinister edge:

02e75268becb5cf49013acbafb3934f3.png

After that, we ate LOTS of pizza and had the gelato of my dreams. Instead of going out again, all of us crashed around 10:30 - 11. :P 

Day 4.7

Packed up, tidied up, got some breakfast, and then got outta dodge because a hot, hot day was coming and it was a perfect time to go to the beach! I managed not to get too burned (phew) and traffic wasn't too bad on the way down, which are both great things. The water was FRIGID but ideal for cooling down from the hot sun.

I got home, showered, and headed out to dinner for a teammate's birthday celebration. About 2 hours in, I started feeling pretty bad. It felt like post-sunburn sickness (chills, nausea, full body exhaustion), but like I said, I only had a couple of patches of sunburn. Weird! It probably was a combo of sun exposure, not getting a lot of sleep, and dehydration. I excused myself and headed home to recoup. I felt moderately better after chugging a lot more water and taking a short nap, and I feel fine this morning!

Lifting: 12/13

Writing: 8/8

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, raptron said:

My mindset has changed much more than my body -- the me from Nov 2016, while probably a bit leaner than my current body, was not very fond of working out without a shirt. The current me can't be bothered to worry about not having a visible 6-pack, so the shirt comes off pretty quick when it's hot. :P

Love it!

I like the painting colour scheme, looks great. 

6 minutes ago, raptron said:

had the gelato of my dreams

BUT WHAT FLAVOUR?!