• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Terra

Activation Energy -> Part 2 includes enzymes and stuff (Terra)

I'm working on some goals for the summer but first lets geek out with a little chemistry!  

ae5.jpeg

So I need to find enzymes to help make change easier!  

And this too! 

activation-energy-700x525.jpg

Look at the energy use after activation?!?!?  This is where habits kick in and energy use is reduced.  TaDa!  

• Like 4

My enzyme???  It's time --5 minutes to be exact!

Activation energy is just the energy to needed to get something started.  And so I am only going to ask 5 minutes for each task/chore/exercise.  Just 5 minute, if after 5 minutes I don't feel like doing more, I give myself permission to stop.  It will be OK if I stop.  But I have overcome the internal inertia of laziness, I have created the activation energy to get moving and more often than no, I will keep moving and do more/better things for me.   Here is my monthly check list, it is very simple and I will give myself stars for each goal done for 5 minutes (or choice in my foods).

image.png.0d6d649cf278e55877b34f579a29b5eb.png

Its simple really and i can modify it as needed after talking with my doctor, but I imagine that I won't need to change much...  

• Like 1

I love chemistry

(actually I'm a chemist)

well... I find Chemistry Interesting!  

and the analogy looks right to me. ;)

• Like 2

I'm struggling to come up with the right goals for me this challenge.  I kind of have an idea but I also know that life happens and more often than not I don't make goals that actual work for me...  

I have a doctor appointment next monday - I'm going to ask for a hormone panel and a recheck of my AC1.  I know that the the doc's advice or the blood work results might make my goals change.  So perhaps my activations goals need to focus on being flexible with a emphasis on energy?!?!?  Or perhaps I can guess what the doctor will say and what I think the blood work will indicate?  I could be proactive and continue some of the food changes I am trying to implement.  I'm actually craving green smoothies some mornings and I really do feel better when I get them for breakfast.  I can make more of an effort to get to classes, BJJ and conditioning.  I can get off my ass and take the dogs and my children for a walk/hike.  I can make sure that Titanium Mickey gets out to the golf course on a regular basis!!!  Eat good food and move more are the habits that I need to solidify...  Why is that so hard???  Activation Energy!!!!  

Weight is just a number right?  I know the answer to this but I also stepped on the scale this morning.  Not the ideal week (from a female hormone standpoint) but it gives me the worse case scenario.  It wasn't good.  I am sure part of my hormone problems are associated with the weight I am carrying.  I am actually surprised that my knees aren't mad at me too.  I hate the scale but it is also a single data point, along with many others that indicates I need to do something different.  So I am thinking about what little changes I cam make each day to make it better than yesterday...?!?  

Goals to come soon!  

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 8:57 AM, Terra said:

ae5.jpeg

So I need to find enzymes to help make change easier!  

I figured out my barrier to getting stuff done - its time!!! 

I don't like to start stuff unless I have a chunk of time to finish things.  But life isn't like that...  So I need to reframe life and lower my energy barrier!!!  For this challenge I will focus on 5 minutes.  That is it.  5 minutes of a task/chore/exercise.  I don't need to do more than 5 minutes of anything but I need to do 5 minutes to satisfy my challenge.  I know that a 5 minute walk down the road feels like a waste of my time, but I will accept that for this challenge.  And most likely if I get out there and walk for 5 minutes it will turn into a 2 mile jaunt.  Just like my getting up to swing my KB for 5 minutes before I start my normal day.  I bet 5 minutes will turn into 20 minutes and that would be a perfect KB workout 2-3 days a week.   And now I'm off to organize my 5 minute tasks into something that makes sense for me...  

On 5/22/2019 at 9:40 AM, TGP said:

I love chemistry

(actually I'm a chemist)

well... I find Chemistry Interesting!  

and the analogy looks right to me. ;)

My hubby is a chemist.  I am an engineer but chemistry is something I have dabbled in over the years.  So this topic is perfect for me!!!  

CHALLENGE GOALS UPDATED.  

• Like 1

5 minutes, just 5 damm minutes.  It shouldn't be that hard....  I 'm disorganized, stressed, in pain and down right forgetful.  I am struggling with the neck/back/shoulder pain and it is keeping me out of my classes.  I miss my classes.  I miss my strength.  I miss my confidence.  This BS is getting old and I'm frustrated.  I feel lame because this is all excuses....  

I see two things on that list that would aggravate your pain issues - focus on the rest, less glamorous goals and knock those out of the park while you mend - and *then* get back to the others.

Deep breaths - you can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm sorry. Being in pain and not being able to do something you enjoy is hard. I don't think they are excuses at all. Those are very valid reasons to slow down and listen to your body (as frustrating as that can be)

• Like 1

pain is very hard.

consider it a "catalyst poison" to your desired enzyme/catalyst.  (cause really enzymes are merely protein catalyst for a bioorganic reaction)

you generally don't realize the reduction in activation energy if your catalyst/enzyme is being attacked by a contaminating substance....

so either Shorter or (better yet) less intense would be my suggestion.

better to have the reaction happen a little with SOME products formed than "almost" a big reaction; but not enough energy to make it happen.

its like a Big pile of snowy wood.  

not going to just put a match to that.  ;)

• Like 1

@darkfoxx, @Elastigirl and @TGP ->> THANK YOU! 

I was frustrated with so many things last week and I wasn't doing a good job of analyzing things with an eye to being productive.  I feel like I have a crazy switch these days and someone flipped that switch without me knowing.  I hate the crazy switch!!!  I am going to talk to the doctor about the ping-ponging emotions and brain fog at my appointment later today. 

I made it through about an hour of BJJ on both Friday and Saturday (being careful) and then on Sunday I was able to swing a golf club!!!  It helps that the hubby and I hung out in a friend's hot tub on Saturday and Sunday night.  It is making us want to get our own hot tub!  

I haven't done much towards my goals.  Its hard to focus when the crazies are in place and I've been waiting to talk to my doctor.  I hope she isn't rushed today, I want to talk through all my stuff to see what she thinks and discuss options for fixing things without meds if possible.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

What did the doc say?

I love my doctor!!!  She refused to do hormonal blood work because she has finally accepted that it is worthless at this stage.  She confirmed that I am unequivocally in perimenopause. We discussed how to better manage the symptoms and she offered meds for the mood swings.  I declined.  We discussed food and exercise and kids and stress.  She gave me some ideas for getting in exercise that I had not thought of (don't know why it didn't occur to me before now) and I need to dial in my foods to what I know will work best for me.  I am going to do thyroid and bruising blood work just to check things out.  I left there feeling so much better.  I can now say that I am not crazy and this is normal.  But I also know that I can fight to make things better.  Significant weight loss may not be in the works for me but I can work on maintaining my health and improve my fitness levels.  And now to figure out how to adjust my life/habits so that I can be happy and find balance.   interesting that all of this makes me realize that I have lost my happy.  

I'm still going to focus on 5 minute increments of habit building.  I am going to try to do KB swings and yoga at home.  This is one of the hardest things for me EVER!!!  Why is it so hard to take five minutes of time to do something good for me once I get home?  I typically just want to melt into a puddle and do nothing!!!  My daughter found a new app that I am going to try.  It is a 5+ minute lock on the phone that hatches some new collectable critter.  But if you do anything with the phone after you set the timed lock the little critter dies.  Its silly but it might be motivating...  I'll play with it tonight!  I will focus on BJJ class and not worry about trying to do the conditioning class so much, it is a time stressor and causes much mommy guilt.  I would rather spend that time with my family and maybe we can start doing yoga or walk the dogs together. 

I am going to keep focusing on the green-keto eating.  I'm still following the idea that a green smoothie every morning is a good idea and my doctor confirmed that it was a great thing.  A smaller breakfast while getting in greens and healthy fats, PERFECT!  I signed up to get the emails from Mark'sDailyApple because they are doing a Keto Reset for the month of June. I love Mark Sisson (he got me into prima/paleo eating and I found nerd fitness through him) and I'm excited to see what I get from them this month.  I feel better when I start my days off with that smoothie, so why wouldn't I do that every day?  I will allow myself one traditional breakfast a week.  So that is where my food focus will be for now.  

I haven't printed out the table above but it still would work but I might modify it for me to use from NOW till mid July.  We have a big vacation in July and I want to feel better when we go.  So that will be my focus, FEELING BETTER.  

I have some control over a few of the things that stress me out.  I am making progress towards a better work environment.  I need  better management and my application was submitted to the organization that I want to work with in the future.  I am documenting all the bullsh!t at my current job so I have that if needed.  It takes time to change positions here but I have the advantage of my split work schedule, so when the one job pisses me off I can go to the other one.  I am struggling with the social networks in the new job but I think it will resolve with time.  I have decided to not stress about getting to two one-hour long classes three days a week.  I will attend two classes on Friday's if work allows me to take a long lunch hour otherwise I will be doing KB work for my strength training at home.  I need to spend the time with my family, most importantly my girls, who are staying at home for the summer, with minimal planned activities.  They need my time and attention every day!  I will be working with them tand paying them for helping me with the decluttering jobs around the house which is a win-win for me!!!  

So for now I am adjusting my reaction chemistry, temp and stirring the mixture to get the right environment for the reaction can occur and I get that activation energy influx into my life.  

science_topic_31.jpg

When you said you were suddenly dealing with all the emotions if you were in perimenopause. I've been there, done that, and it is hard. Your words that it feels like someone hits the crazy switch are an apt description. Eating less sugar, and upping my veggies really helped. Also exercising, and just realizing that hormones were making my emotions wacky. Just stepping back and realizing that  these feelings weren't very accurate of what reality always was. Also, natural progesterone helped. 

Dr John Lee has a good book on perimenopause (though he urges vegetarianism  and I think a low carb approach is better) In other words, I don't agree with everything

https://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Doctor-About-Premenopause/dp/0446673803/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=john+lee+md&qid=1559665376&s=books&sr=1-3

• Like 1

oh boy I got Major Hot tub jealousy right now.  

I'm thinking what kind of reaction Isn't easy in the comfortable, soothing and relaxing confines of a hot tube!??

the only thing ofc is that it a major increase in the complexity of your chemical process.  what do you inner beancounters say about the investment?  does it have a good return on Investment??

anyways; I'm a huge fan of analysis of current results and perhaps experiments upon the reaction kinetics. Win/Win scenarios seems also seem spectacularly lucky!  

• Like 1

Whoop whoop on getting some answers from the doc and shooting down some good trajectories - sounds like a lot of win going on! Keep it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Guys -- Yoga happened last night!  I was trying to download a print my table last night so my goals were active thoughts in my head and I remembered.  It was a short 20 minute practice, but that is what I want/need to be doing.  I picked an intermediate class and it was a challenge :frown-new: but I know that I have lost flexibility and stamina.  I'll take a bit more time in the future to pick stretching focused classes because that is what I want yoga for, flexibility.  

Posting my goals on my bathroom mirror is vital to me remembering!!!  MUST PRINT AND POST MY TRACKER!!!  

I'm off to get my blood work done today.  Yesterday was just a mess and i didn't make it to the lab.

BJJ class tonight and zoodles for dinner!  

• Like 2

Hey....YOU.

Image result for hey I'm talking to you gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, mamma! :D:D 

I hope today is a great day for you and that you are treated like the queen you are ;). And keep kicking butt in BJJ!

Wolf

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

Hey....YOU.

Image result for hey I'm talking to you gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, mamma! :D:D 

I hope today is a great day for you and that you are treated like the queen you are ;). And keep kicking butt in BJJ!

Wolf

Thank you!!!  I just want to be one of those old ladies who is amazingly stylish and can still kick your ass -- LOL -- BJJ and weight lifting for the win!!!  

old-is-the-new-black-by-ari-seth-cohen.j

• Like 1

Friday morning musings!  I had the funniest conversation in my new part-time job (one job just split between two groups). A young guy was teasing the team lead about being old as I walked by.  I literally backed up and said "hell no" he isn't old.  And then we chatted for a minute only to realize that I am old enough to be the young guys mom.  He teasingly said "should I call you mom?" (I was not offended)  It's funny because I don't feel like how I feel/look matches my age.  Another time my daughter's friend asked if I was the same age as her VERY young mom. I must be doing something right!!!  I am hopeful that I channel a youthful energy/vibe for a long time to come.  

My birthday was fairly uneventful.  Birthdays are always a good day for reflecting on life: past, present and future.  I am going to continue moving towards moving to the new job and with any luck I will get the opportunity to move groups.  I have a path forward on my health, I just need to implement it in my life in a manner that makes it habit.  Habits are what happens after the activation energy gives me the boost to make changes.  Life has been pretty good and I am so very lucky to be where I am today.  

BJJ class in 1.5 hours.  I didn't have a green smoothie today (I ate a slice of paleo chocolate cake) but it's OK.  Once the cake is gone I'll drop into eating low carb for the next month. I might even track a few random days to make sure that I'm staying on track!  I need to get me a ultra dark chocolate bar to have on hand when I need a treat but don't need the carbs.  Dark chocolate in the 85-92% cocoa range works great for me.  

Energy abounds today! 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Saturday was BJJ classes taught.  Saturday night was another BBQ at our house, likely the last one till August.  It was great fun but too much wine was drank.  Sunday was chores and prepping for this week.  It was a good weekend. 

NOW I am going to focus on green keto eating as part of my n=1 experiment in finding more energy and better health! 

giphy.gif

LOL - this gif makes me giggle!  

Tonight is BJJ, I've started with my green smoothie, I'm planning out my week...  It's all good!  

giphy.gif

And one more because I'm avoiding work right now...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Tuesday afternoon...  BJJ class last night was good but I need to be doing more.  Green smoothies are wonderful!  I am trying to make plans and pay for transportation in Barcelona but my cards keep declining.  Damm.  And the kids are driving me less nuts today.  I'm sending documents off for approvals and stuff at work.  Its a crazy busy day.  

I'll call the bank and then life will be good. 

Tonight I'll try to get some crap up on the local yard sell page to get rid of it and do some more planning of the vacation.  Yoga or KB swinging is needed in my life tonight.  Maybe both?!?!?!  

Magick%2011%20Psychic%20Energy.gif

• Like 1

And now this "friend" has reared their ugliness again...

9ecf87489866c3e51f741bfaebb383a9--energy

I am so done with the BS, but we live in a small town and have a limited friend circle.  UGH

I'm tired because sleep has been hard.  I'm stressing over this^^ BS, I'm stressing over work, I'm stressing over the kids and I just want to find my happy.  Food has been better and mostly keto, BJJ classes have been attended, and I'm learning lots of new stuff at work.  Vacation is in about a month and I'm not prepared.  YIKES!  Typically I'm starting to pack by this time and I have some ideas of what we want to do in the ports/cities where we don't have planned tours...  So lots to do...  I'm still filling out my monthly chart with drawn stars (I haven't made an effort to find my mini stickers) I'll try to take a photo and post my progress for weeks 1 & 2 sometime this weekend...  

• Like 2

I forgot to take that progress chart photo.  :concern:  To summarize: I'm doing really great with BJJ classes, green smoothies, gratitude and eating more veggies.  I'm not doing great with yoga, KB swings and getting to bed by 10:30.  

It was a relatively good weekend.  BJJ classes on Friday and Saturday, dentists on friday, saturday my baby girl got her hair dyed and Sunday was all about my hubby (Father's Day).  I read too much but i was also fairly productive.  I'll admit to being frustrated about the hubby not wanting to do anything, I had so many great ideas!  I wanted to do things to make the day fun and different, he just wanted a lazy day at home.  I do understand, he is preparing for a colonoscopy tomorrow morning and his food needs have been weird this whole weekend.  

I'm not feeling great today, kind of bloated.  And today got a little messed up with schedules, but my girls have a joint babysitting gig this afternoon.  I hope that it goes well.  It's just one little guy and he should mostly be napping!  Tonight I'll see how I feel and how the hubby is doing.  He starts the nasty drink this evening and his test is in the morning.  :concern:  If I don't make class I should do some yoga and a few KB swings!!!  

• Like 1