• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Manarelle

Manarelle pays the rent

OMG THE HELMET!!!! AHHHHH SO COOL. I love how the wings are turning out.

On 6/16/2019 at 8:09 PM, Manarelle said:

Stupid work drama happening lately: dress policy changed so we could wear jeans all week long (used to be business casual M-Th, then jeans on Friday). Apparently some people took this to me that there no longer was a dress code, so then a revised policy had to be sent out with really particular details in it (really? Who wears flip flops to a corporate office?!?!?!?!?!), and now everyone's policing each other's outfits and qq'ing about who can get away with what and why can you wear x if I can't wear y and I'm so bloody sick of it. My direct boss, the senior VP, is the most conservative dresser in the company, and he has not had a problem with my clothing in 5.5 years (and my style has not changed in that time, either), but suddenly, "someone" (we all know who) got their knickers in a twist so women can't wear sleeveless blouses, skirts/ dresses at or above the knees, or anything but dress shoes and people are having fits because I'm wearing sleeveless tops - under a cardigan - and occasionally take the cardigan off for a few minutes to do heavy lifting. I just want to smack people, but that is also, unfortunately, against company policy. Alas.

WUIAWHUIAUIHAUKJF WHY WOULD SLEEVELESS TOPS BE INAPPROPRIATE? ARE YOU AT CHURCH? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

You are brilliant, thank you. Ordered some from Joann's today. Any insight on how to make a mask/ helmet for someone who has to wear glasses? The gentleman wants to cosplay as Backlash, his favorite character, but he has eye problems and has to wear sunglasses at all times. Skintight mask might be a problem, but if we could do an armor version with a helmet, somehow... Just curious if you'd run into that before. 

Any sunglasses, or prescription ones?  If non-prescription, maybe you could get a cheap pair of sunglasses, pop the lenses out and build them into the mask.  Might take some work with a grinder to get them the right shape, but that seems fairly doable.

Also, your work dress policy sounds insane.  I'm sorry you have to deal with that. :(

• Like 1

I haven't finished the build yet, but I'll be cutting a face shield to make the visor for a Mandolorian helmet at some point.

I also liked the cheap sunglass lenses suggestion.  Or you can look around for a place that sells replacement lenses.  I got new lenses for my Oakleys for ~20$ because the style had been discontinued.  And they make a huge variety of sizes and colors to better match your mask/helmet.

If it were me, I'd probably get a couple cheap Zorro-style masks and play around with different lense options until I found one that worked.  Then use foam and worbla to make the final shape over the top.  Depending on prescription/UV requirements, you could also try just stretching fabric over a mask template.  That worked well on my brother's Grifter mask to get the white eyes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Boo on the dress code drama, I have worked in a few places that were like your current environment but constantly so.  Drove me nuts

3 hours ago, raptron said:

WUIAWHUIAUIHAUKJF WHY WOULD SLEEVELESS TOPS BE INAPPROPRIATE? ARE YOU AT CHURCH? 

2 hours ago, Elennare said:

Also, your work dress policy sounds insane.  I'm sorry you have to deal with that. :(

Yeah, I got nothing... it's probably just stupid people being stupid, on both sides (people taking it too far and misogynistic [deleted]s). I have (so far) successfully fended off anyone sniping at me, but I also do dress pretty conservatively. Asked my boss yesterday if he'd be ok with me bleaching the last few inches of my hair for the Thor cosplay; he shook his head, gave permission, and then said "Getting funky, eh?" >snerk< No, sir. I can honestly say that I have never and likely will never 'get funky.' But thank you for your permission to do so. :D

2 hours ago, Elennare said:

Any sunglasses, or prescription ones?  If non-prescription, maybe you could get a cheap pair of sunglasses, pop the lenses out and build them into the mask.  Might take some work with a grinder to get them the right shape, but that seems fairly doable.

1 hour ago, Anim07734 said:

I haven't finished the build yet, but I'll be cutting a face shield to make the visor for a Mandolorian helmet at some point.

Sadly, they are both prescription and need special coatings - an (ex) friend set off an arc wielder in the gentleman's face as a "prank" when he was younger, so he's both nearsighted and insanely sensitive to light/ uv rays/ etc. To be honest, though, I don't know if his prescription is super high, might be able to use the face shield/ less expensive lenses (his are about $800/ pair) and build up conscientiously to block light. Worth a try, at least. Thank you both!

• Like 1

Finished the design on front and a few structural touch-ups tonight. First coat of primer took 50 minutes (those wings, man), looks like the weekend is set to be warm and sunny...

Methinks the end is near. :D

8a2d395b-fe4e-43eb-b691-57e43d55c60c-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

At the very least, I sorted out how to make the damn foam head work - the helmet stays on much better if it's backward, don't ask me why. Unintentional bonus: the point and the wing tips make a perfectly balanced tripod to work on the underside. Two more coats of base, two coats of spray paint, weathering/ outlining, and two coats of enamel and I will be DONE. MUAHAHAHAHAHHA.

Ok, I'm better, sorry. 

• Like 3

Your helmet is turning out great.  I especially like the wings.  *fingers crossed* the weather cooperates

I find your foam head antics especially amusing because I have the opposite problem:  my head is noticably smaller than "normal," so I can only use them for loose fitting helmets or getting a face mask shaped before I attach the backing. :P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

I find your foam head antics especially amusing because I have the opposite problem:  my head is noticably smaller than "normal," so I can only use them for loose fitting helmets or getting a face mask shaped before I attach the backing. :P

One size fits none, eh? Probably hard to shave/ grind down styrofoam to make it shaped properly. I was debating trying to wrap it in eva foam or worbla, but then I found the backward trick and figured that's good enough. Realized that while finishing is exciting, I'm gonna have to find a way to store all this now, since I can't keep it on the dress form forever... any insight on that, oh great cosplay master? :)

*looks over at Alphonse in the corner* Why can't your armor just stay out as decoration?  You can build a stand out of 2x4 or PVC and have a nice conversation piece.

For actual storage (and transport), I like the heavy duty storage totes you find at hardware stores.  They're sturdy, seal well, and stack easily.  I use 27gal totes, which my fiancee thinks are way too big (holds ~6 normal costumes).  But some costumes (especially armor) needs the space.

A warning when storing worbla, though: make sure your paint is completely dry, or the pieces will stick together.

• Like 1

Because OF COURSE where is the supposedly "completely dry" paint going to stick to the eva mat and TEAR OFF so it's impossible to miss the fact that it's a MAJOR FLAW???

image.thumb.png.8c5ccbd1246bd96be5cc2ac07a5b1fa1.png

Grrrrrrrrrr. 

• Sad 1

Ahem. I finished the thing. Not even sorry, y'all are getting picture spammed:

58c24920-64fb-46e1-a03d-f04f86a124e9-ori 24eb12d5-771a-494f-b540-a0a7ebf1205f-ori   

e4adeacb-d2e8-438d-9a2c-8078f9d86e70-ori 63197925-b922-4b60-a2a6-a884c6ff8bb6-ori   

The gentleman is having back issues, so they're all taken from about waist level, which isn't super flattering, and of course I have concerns, insecurities, and a few actual things I want to tweak before it gets worn outside...

BUT

Then I remember that it's my first thermoplastics outfit and I realize it's really not that bad. 

Official time is unknown, because I did Mjolnir (v1 and v2) and the bracer, (vMany) without keeping track of time. What I have tracked, however, is right at 176 hours, and involved a lot of lessons learned for next time. And yes, there will be a next time, after a bit of a break to do all those non-cosplay projects that have been pushed aside to finish this. 

Critiques are welcome, I'd love to know what I can (feasibly) do better next time. Thanks for putting up with a very long creation process.

• Like 7

That turned out beautifully.  I don't see anything I'd change, so unless there's something fitting weird, I vote leave it alone until something breaks. ;)

How did you touchup the helmet to fix your damaged paint?

Also:  I'm very jealous of your toy wall.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Anim07734 said:

That turned out beautifully.  I don't see anything I'd change, so unless there's something fitting weird, I vote leave it alone until something breaks. ;)

Yeah, I figured it was just my perfectionism acting up. I sent the pictures to a few people via text, and the critiques I got weren't about the things that bother me, so... make like Elsa and let it go. 

How did you touchup the helmet to fix your damaged paint?

Exacto blade to scrape it off, quick blast of spray paint to cover the nicks that caused. I then used a teflon sheet to prop it up for the clearcoat, and only after growling about that leaving a small pettern in the clearcoat did I realize.... if I painted the underside FIRST, then any mess-ups and stickings would be on the underside, not the top. /facepalm

Also:  I'm very jealous of your toy wall.

Hahah, not mine, that's the gentleman's area. He likes to line walls with bookcases and then fill 'em with stuff. I'm much more of a "yay I did it, now put it away so there's still lots of empty room to work on the next thing" type.  

• Like 2

Yessss. I really enjoy the costume, and you in the costume.

21 hours ago, Manarelle said:

The gentleman is having back issues, so they're all taken from about waist level, which isn't super flattering, and of course I have concerns, insecurities, and a few actual things I want to tweak before it gets worn outside...

I was actually thinking: whew, Manarelle is really rocking that outfit!

And: nice that she posted the smiling picture. That pose is not flattering for many people, let alone us regular mortals without camera crews, but it being flattering is not the goal here. It is to show that Thor loves her hammer! :D

edit: nah I actually think it IS flattering. I really like genuinely smiling people :)

(No disrespect to those who always get asked why they do not smile more. If that's how you look, that's how you look! (A))

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys. With a few days between me and it, I can pull back and see the whole thing instead of focusing on the problems. There will probably be a few more picture in October, when it gets actually worn to a con and Halloween work party. Since I'm the one who pushed for Halloween stuff at work, I get to set the theme, and this year's theme is conveniently heroes and villains. :) 

• Like 2