• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

All Guild Mini Challenge – The Long Night

85be88f3bf9dacd537a4899dc51840134863da7c

Q&A before we get started:
Q: So this is a Game of Thrones themed challenge, huh?
giphy.gif

Q: If I have never seen or read Game of Thrones will this still be fun and make sense?
A: Yes

Q: Will there be spoilers?
A: Only in the most vague sense. There will be no spoilers at all for season 8 events and only vague-ish spoilers for previous seasons. Nothing you probably aren’t already aware of from the internet. No book specific spoilers for those show watchers who haven’t read the books yet.

Q: Wait? How are you going to do this and not spoil Season 8?
A: We retconning this bad boy
giphy.gif

Q: What if I can’t participate in any of the specific mini challenge goals due to disability, injury, resources, etc?
A: Please private message @miss_marissa directly, as she will be coordinating this mini, and we can come up with a solution for you to be able to participate (you do not need to state your reasons in your PM).

Introduction
Many Winters ago during the Long Night, a strange race emerged from the far North. Named the White Walkers, these mystical creatures had the terrifying ability to reanimate the dead into wights and induce them to do their bidding. The sole motivation of the White Walkers seemed to be to eliminate all life.
The Children of the Forest and the First Men fought valiantly, but the White Walkers drove them further and further South. Only when the first members of the Night’s Watch joined, were they driven back North - defeated. To protect the realm from any future threat of northern invasion, Bran the Builder constructed the Wall. A wall of ice and magic, seven hundred feet tall, thick enough for a dozen horses along the top, and stretching from coast to coast. The Wall shields Westeros from the far North.

The White Walkers: A legend passed down for generations. A myth. Stories told to pass the long winters here in Westeros.

Or so you thought.
blueprint-api-production.s3.amazonaws.co

The leader of the White Walkers, the Night King, and his army of wights have breached the wall and are heading South. You can feel in your bones this Winter has been different than the others, but your worst fear has come true.
As north men and women, you have been called by the Starks of Winterfell to protect the Seven Kingdoms against the army of the dead. Send your Raven to Winterfell to declare your intent to join the army of the living.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PrftJFjW0JZjYWTuI0FKO-h56nOrsUDRBCkjefTYtgI/edit#gid=0

• Like 18

Week 1

You have a long journey ahead to travel to Winterfell to join the battle. The North is the largest of the Seven Kingdoms. It will take you 1 week to reach your destination of Winterfell. You pack some rations for the journey, kiss your family goodbye, and put on your best walking boots. Luckily there are other northerners joining you on the long road to Winterfell to ease the journey.

Challenge:

Go for a walk! Dedicate 5+ minutes each day to go for a walk, outside if possible. Log in the spreadsheet how many kilometers you walked each day. (1 mile = 1.609km) Share with the group your strategy and reflections: How do you plan to get the walk in? Do you have a daily/week km goal? How do you feel during and after your walk? How does it affect the rest of your day?

giphy.gif

Q&A:

Q: Does my run, bike, skateboard, etc count?

A: No! They don’t have skateboards in Westeros. Also, the goal here is to get outside (if feasible) and dedicate some specific time to walking! If you want to run/bike/whatever GREAT! Do that too, but it doesn’t count for the mini :)

Q: Can I count my steps from my fitness tracker and translate to km?

A: No! The goal here is not to count all steps throughout the day, but to count only the mileage from a dedicated walk.

Q: If I go for multiple walks in 1 day can I count them all?

A: Yes!

• Like 9

Week 2

Prepare for Battle

2HyA.gif

The journey was long and strenuous. You are weary from the road and feel the cold in your bones. But you’ve made it to Winterfell. You are glad for the chance to rest before the Long Night to come. You’ve never before been to Winterfell, but feel at home already. The two walls surrounding the grounds are menacing; surely they are sufficient to protect from the imminent threat. The godswood is a sight to behold. The weirwood stands imposing at the focal point, with white bark and red leaves. You continue to explore the castle. The hot springs piped through the walls give a warmth you haven’t felt in weeks. You drift off into a deep, dreamless sleep nearly as soon as your head hits the ground.

weirwood-trees-grow-throughout-all-of-we

After a good night's rest, you set out to determine how you can help prepare for the imminent battle, for there is work to be done if you expect to survive the army of the dead. There are weapons to be forged, bonds to be established, and barriers to be fashioned. You immediately set to meeting your fellow Northern soldiers who have many talents that can be of great value: blacksmiths, innkeepers, soldiers, farmers, and more. You set to meet as many as you can.

tumblr_ot8bjoiijP1u034pso3_500.gif

Challenge:

Part 1: Prepare your mind and body for the upcoming battle. Do some form of stretching/yoga/meditation each day. This can be any sort of activity that is meditative for you and could include (but is not limited to) prayer, coloring, journaling, or a movement flow.  Log in the spreadsheet the number of minutes you spent on your “mindfulness session”.

Part 2: Post in someone’s challenge thread you have not interacted with before or someone that you don’t regularly follow! If you are a Level 1 member, post in challenges from two different guilds. If you are currently a guild member, post in one Level 1 members thread and one thread from someone in a guild that is not your own. Indicate in the spreadsheet the guild of the challenge you posted in once you have completed it. Pull from the mini challenge participants if you are unsure where to start!

Share with the group your strategy and reflections: When do you plan to complete your “mindfulness session”? Do you have a daily minutes goal? Do you have any resources, apps, routines, videos etc that you use that might be helpful for the group? Did you meet any cool new members from other guilds? Do you plan to continue the week 1 challenge of walking daily

• Like 9

Week 3

tenor.gif?itemid=9555205 

The army of the dead approaches. You stand at the battlements with your fellow Northerners, dragonglass weapons at the ready. You’ve been preparing for this every waking moment since your arrival at Winterfell, but with the White Walker’s imminent arrival you can’t help but feel you would never be prepared enough. The dead outnumber the living 10 to 1.

Although you cannot yet see them, you feel the air getting colder, you see your breath form in front of you, and you begin to loose feeling in your toes. You’ve been standing outside for what feels like days. As you wait, your fear builds and you feel it building in your fellow soldiers. This enemy is like none you have ever faced before. The dead are not a typical opponent, and therefore typical strategies cwon’t be effective. You must give the battle your all, fighting as if your life depends on it, because it does.

You hear shouting and look down to see soldiers lighting the trenches surrounding the castle. The fire casts a light upon the castle and surrounding field. You see the White Walkers and their army crest the hill North of Winterfell. You raise your bow and ready your dragonglass arrow.

giphy.gif

And so the battle begins.

Challenge:

Do the thing! You know... the thing. The one that’s been on your to-do list that you keep moving from week to week. The one you have been dreading. It might be:

• Completing that big project you’ve been putting off
  • Making that phone call you’re scared to make
  • Organizing that closet
  • Finish the project you have started that’s been sitting unfinished

Log in the spreadsheet % complete. Your status on Monday of week 3 is 0%. Aim for something that can realistically be completed in 1 week. You’re not going to build a garage in 1 week, but you might put together a blueprint and call a contractor.

If you feel comfortable sharing with the group, please share what your personal battle is and what your plan to achieve it is. Share any progress you make along the way. Do you have any insights for why you think it has been such a challenge to complete this task?

• Like 6

Week 4

The battle was chaos, with a continual onslaught of wights lasting through the night. After hours of battle the wights suddenly collapsed. It appears to be over and the living have won. You collapse to your knees in exhaustion and weep.

Days later, you gather in the Great hall of Winterfell to celebrate. It has been years since you have seen your fellow Northerners celebrate like this. The feast is all your favorite foods: roast quail, rack of lamb, baked apples, lemon tarts and more. And the ale and wine is flowing abundantly. Spirits are high after defeating the undefeatable enemy.

Challenge:

Cook one new-to-you recipe. Maintain a food diary for 1 week. Check in the spreadsheet each day you kept a full food diary. Also check in the spreadsheet once you have cooked your new recipe.

PLEASE share with the group your exciting new recipes you’ve tried and your thoughts on them. Share how you feel about tracking your food. What is your strategy for keeping your food diary? Is there anything you’ve learned about your nutrition or your eating habits from keeping a food diary?

Q&A:

Q: What if I already keep a food diary, count calories, or count macros?

A: Kick it up a notch! Add water intake, better portion sizing control, or track to a new goal you’ve been wanting to hit such as different macronutrient breakdown. You can also track how you feel throughout the day, particularly during and after meals.

Q: Tracking my food is terrifying to me, do I have to?

A: There are many ways to track your food and it doesn’t always mean keeping a precise calorie count using an app or otherwise. Think of starting at Level 1, by just writing down in a notebook what you ate and at what time. No portions, no calories, no judgments. If this is still uncomfortable for you due to a history of eating disorders or other trauma, take a few minutes to sit down and write about why the practice is uncomfortable for you. PM @Miss_Marissa to come up with an alternate challenge goal for this week if necessary

• Like 4

This war party needs a Druid. How else are we gonna find direwolf pups for the Starks to raise? (Says he without a damn clue about what he is getting into - but no matter, my naive obliviousness will carry me through. Don't fail me now!)

• Like 6

I'm in for a LONG walk in a strange place

where I will prolly get lost , starve and eaten by animals...

but hey!  you never know!! 

• Like 5

"Bran the Builder" eeehehehehehe

Spoiler

BTB+Framed+waving+Blue++Red+Image+Lyrics

*cough* uh- apologies, captain. general. commander. boss person.

everything i know about game of thrones i learned against my will but i'm here for the challenge anyway!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m here for it!

Will someone sign me up? Google Sheets is being an ass.

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, darkfoxx said:

I’m here for it!

TIA!

I added your name. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

I’m here for it!

TIA!

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I added your name. 

And I set the guild for both of you. Scalyfreak, you'll be glad to know I did not abuse my powers to list you as a Ranger, but listed you as a warrior because that's what normal people do and I am a power-hungry-tyrant-gone-mad-with-power-who-will-force-everyone-into-the-glorious-Ranger-Corps normal person.

• Like 3
  • Haha 14

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

And I set the guild for both of you. Scalyfreak, you'll be glad to know I did not abuse my powers to list you as a Ranger, but listed you as a warrior because that's what normal people do and I am a power-hungry-tyrant-gone-mad-with-power-who-will-force-everyone-into-the-glorious-Ranger-Corps normal person.

And because I could have changed it back to Warrior when I get home and am not limited to editing the Google Sheet in a phone app anymore. :P

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Jon Snow Game Of Thrones GIF - JonSnow GameOfThrones Jon GIFs

• Like 3
  • Haha 2