• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

(1) The installment I'm working on is the non-cellphone prequel game. Due to the convoluted nature of the series, fans of the games like to be able to reference the original source material, but the prequel game is on the PSP so mining its script is not so straightforward. Currently, the only one that exists online for reference is a fan translation of the Japanese script, which due to the restrictions of text box size does not even slightly match the Official Game Translation script. So I set out to transcribe it myself. 

Video game fans like you deserve more appreciation from video game fans like me. :)

This is apparently exactly what I needed to get a move-on!!

The Thing: getting the contract for the new gig this Summer all squared away.

This involves: calling the guy, going over everything line by line, planning a trip to fest grounds (the trip will not happen then week, but I should be able to have everything worked out), and signing and sending the contract (or, possibly bringing it with me - which ever makes sense time-wise).

I’m pleased to report that I actually took care of the first two pieces last night! We reviewed the contract, settled on a daily rate, and discussed stages and schedules. A whole lot of stress has been lifted from my shoulders!!

He should be giving me a call Friday to go over any final adjustments before sending the contract out.

Adulting Win, big time.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

image.png.d00be8a27f6d8c7deeb791c31d1a156d.png

Am I just now finding this thread?

tenor.gif?itemid=7482408

EVERYONE IS DOING THE THINGS SO GOOD!

My thing is to pack at least 10 boxes for upcoming move and to hire movers.

• Like 4

Back on track. 

Tang is done, wood is drilled and glued on. Later today I'll be forming handle, riveting crossgurard (it needs cleaning) and maybe will glue in copper rivets into the handle. I decided I'll add a leather strap between crossguard and handle for decoration (and to easily cover uneven weld underneath). I botched drilling a hole for a lanyard - it's not perpendicular to knife axis, but I think I just drill it a bit larger or add radius on the edge. 

- designing and cutting shape of the handle, placing and drilling holes for rivets - 2 days (tue, wed)

- gluing on wood, riveting crossguard, riveting and shaping handle - 2 days (thu, fri)

- initial oiling, cleaning the cutting edge - 1 day (sat)

- buffing the blade - 1 day (sun)

• Like 3

you know that thing where you plan to do one thing and then get a bunch of other stuff done instead because you are avoiding that one thing? yesterday i did a thing that i've been scared to do for 5+ years. i reached out to two friends who i haven't spoken to in a very, very long time, and told them i am sorry for how our friendship ended and that i would like for us to get to know each other again. i've had this on and off of my to do list since 2013. my life would be better with them in it and i've been too cowardly to say so. happily, they both responded to me with kindness and we have made plans to hang out in a couple weeks when i get back from vacation. i am so grateful and excited. 

i am counting this as my thing but i still need to make an appointment with a dentist. :) 

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, harborcoat said:

you know that thing where you plan to do one thing and then get a bunch of other stuff done instead because you are avoiding that one thing? yesterday i did a thing that i've been scared to do for 5+ years. i reached out to two friends who i haven't spoken to in a very, very long time, and told them i am sorry for how our friendship ended and that i would like for us to get to know each other again. i've had this on and off of my to do list since 2013. my life would be better with them in it and i've been too cowardly to say so. happily, they both responded to me with kindness and we have made plans to hang out in a couple weeks when i get back from vacation. i am so grateful and excited. 

i am counting this as my thing but i still need to make an appointment with a dentist. :) 

THIS IS SO SWEET!!!!!! <3

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, harborcoat said:

i reached out to two friends who i haven't spoken to in a very, very long time, and told them i am sorry for how our friendship ended and that i would like for us to get to know each other again. i've had this on and off of my to do list since 2013. my life would be better with them in it and i've been too cowardly to say so. happily, they both responded to me with kindness and we have made plans to hang out in a couple weeks when i get back from vacation.

Reading this made me happy. :)

• Like 2

I’ve been wavering between two things. Piano tuner is that one thing literally on the top of my to do list because it’s been undone for so many months. But that seemed too easy. Summer budget seemed more important, and I have been avoiding it like crazy. Today was an unusual free day...and I did both!

• Like 2

Saturday morning. Couldn't finish shaping handle yesterday, so I'm again behind schedule. Why it's always like that - you plan on something, and instantly fuckzillion things need to be done ASAP and "fuck you and your plans". Not that I ignored those things earlier. They just surface the moment I try to focus on my planned thing. Ugh... 

Yeah, I'm whining, I know. It's called "life", I know. 

And on top ot everything, friend asked me to secure handle with connecting screws. So I need to go to hardware store and buy some before I can finish handle, as I will need to make sockets for screw heads... sigh.

- designing and cutting shape of the handle, placing and drilling holes for rivets - 2 days (tue, wed)

- gluing on wood, riveting crossguard, riveting and shaping handle - 2 days (thu, fri)

- additional trip to get connecting screws, adjusting handle shape - some time I don't already have

At least I made my MRI appointment that was waiting since early March. Maybe today will be better. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, harborcoat said:

It's very touching and I'm glad that they responded positively to your efforts to reach out =) 

Also yeah we got out vacation booked =) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aramis said:

Saturday morning. Couldn't finish shaping handle yesterday, so I'm again behind schedule. Why it's always like that - you plan on something, and instantly fuckzillion things need to be done ASAP and "fuck you and your plans". Not that I ignored those things earlier. They just surface the moment I try to focus on my planned thing. Ugh... 

Yeah, I'm whining, I know. It's called "life", I know. 

And on top ot everything, friend asked me to secure handle with connecting screws. So I need to go to hardware store and buy some before I can finish handle, as I will need to make sockets for screw heads... sigh.

- gluing on wood, riveting crossguard, riveting and shaping handle - 2 days (thu, fri)

- additional trip to get connecting screws, adjusting handle shape - some time I don't already have

At least I made my MRI appointment that was waiting since early March. Maybe today will be better. 

Don't be so hard on yourself, your friend asked you for additional steps that weren't part of the original plans so it could count as a variation order. Even big companies need more time to deal with variation orders. 

Okay. Let's do this.

- gluing on wood, riveting crossguard, riveting and shaping handle - 2 days (thu, fri)

The Thing is done! We decided not to buff the blade, just clean it up and leave little spots of patina. After all - it's almost 100 years old. 

Here's finished product:

done.thumb.JPG.26eb50125d05b1408e4ef079064433e9.JPG

And little side effect:

Spoiler

144042388_sideeffect.thumb.JPG.b6a6ea9255ab99c037201a5527842993.JPG

Yes, I know. Cheesy joke. But everybody know woodworkers' main job is to produce sawdust and shavings, furniture and stuff are just leftovers after all the cutting. 

In my opinion screws ruin the look of the handle (copper rivets would be way better), but... customer's request.

• Like 2

You mean the finished product and side effect should be inverted pics. But congratulations! It looks like an awesome cool blade! 

4 hours ago, Mortimer said:

the finished product and side effect should be inverted pics

It's an inside joke in woodworkers "subculture". We say we mostly make wood shavings and sawdust, and all the furniture, stairs or toys are by-products of sawdust production. 

But thank you, I'm glad it came out enjoyable. For me, I only see it's flaws, but that's maker's point of view. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aramis said:

In my opinion screws ruin the look of the handle (copper rivets would be way better), but... customer's request.

I would expect the screws to interfere with gripping the handle and actually using the knife, as well as not looking nearly as good as copper rivets. Even if the knife is not intended for daily use, my inner sword lover wants the design to be purely functional and capable of daily use, even though it's just going go hang on a wall.

• Like 2

We'll see, maybe I'll manage to convince my friend to rivets, or at least recessing screws a bit when he'll feel those biting in his palm. For now, it needs to stay as it is due to his strict request. But yeah, if I'd do it for myself, it would be rivets or tubes. Or some dark wood inlays. Or... oh, nevermind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aramis said:

It's an inside joke in woodworkers "subculture". We say we mostly make wood shavings and sawdust, and all the furniture, stairs or toys are by-products of sawdust production. 

But thank you, I'm glad it came out enjoyable. For me, I only see it's flaws, but that's maker's point of view. 

Ahhh OK. I tend to take things a little too literally. Well I think dark wood inlays would look cool. 

5 hours ago, Rookie said:

Welp I fizzled out there haha. I should of stuck with shark painting progress. 

I'm now imagining you painting a shark. I am uncertain how well the paint would stick if the shark were in water, but I am even less certain that the shark would be cooperative if taken out of the water and dried and prepped with gesso first. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

I'm now imagining you painting a shark. I am uncertain how well the paint would stick if the shark were in water, but I am even less certain that the shark would be cooperative if taken out of the water and dried and prepped with gesso first. 

That depends on how long you keep it out of the water.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Indeed. Here's my carefully considered hypothesis. 

IMG_6352.jpg.1ac0796d27a9598f2b381338c1e1b2f8.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Okay. I have done MOST of the thing.

Still need to take the test questions and see where I need to study, but I'm afraid the gods of chaos have chosen to party in my home these last few days--culminating in The Roommate spending Father's Day out and returning sans vehicle, explaining his timing belt snapped and his grandmother had just died. Like...literally, just died a few hours before he got home.

But since my test is next Wednesday (OMG MY TEST IS NEXT WEDNESDAY), I'm in pretty good shape time-wise. Biggest issue right now is Brick is super occupied by Work of Dire Awfulness, so I'm picking up most of the boring non-adventuring slack. I have a little over a week to get myself in gear, and since I'm not playing in the group's Starfinder campaign I have ample Saturday time to study this week. YAY. :)

The kick of Doing The Thing has lead me to Doing Other The Things...at least in part. Yesterday on Brick's day off we got a shelf up in the garage and started putting stuff on it, so it's kind of like we're organizing said garage.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, NymianH said:

The kick of Doing The Thing has lead me to Doing Other The Things...at least in part. Yesterday on Brick's day off we got a shelf up in the garage and started putting stuff on it, so it's kind of like we're organizing said garage.

That happened to me too! We almost organized our laundry room (moved a bunch of stuff out of it and to its respective storage place), and now we're working on real adult things involving cell phone plans. Weird...

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

5 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Indeed. Here's my carefully considered hypothesis. 

IMG_6352.jpg.1ac0796d27a9598f2b381338c1e1b2f8.jpg

Omg lol I needed that tonight. You guys made me laugh. 

• Like 2

Couldn't take good pictures 'cause the space was cramped, but I spent a good chunk of the weekend getting my closet from utter chaos to "contained messes". Looks a lot better and I can move more easily! Next step will be working through the boxes of contained mess, but it is now broken into bite sized chunks. 

• Like 1