• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Recommended Posts

I had a big list of Things that I had been putting off, but two of them were the big ones that I immediately thought of when I saw this challenge item.  I ended up doing a whole bunch of the Things on my list, but the two identified for this challenge got procrastinated.  Again.  Fail

 

I at least got one of the two done today, though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I had a big list of Things that I had been putting off, but two of them were the big ones that I immediately thought of when I saw this challenge item.  I ended up doing a whole bunch of the Things on my list, but the two identified for this challenge got procrastinated.  Again.  Fail

 

I at least got one of the two done today, though.

It still sparked super productivity though! So ... kind of win? :P And you did it shortly after sooooo win! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 9:50 AM, miss_marissa said:

Week 4

The battle was chaos, with a continual onslaught of wights lasting through the night. After hours of battle the wights suddenly collapsed. It appears to be over and the living have won. You collapse to your knees in exhaustion and weep.

 

Days later, you gather in the Great hall of Winterfell to celebrate. It has been years since you have seen your fellow Northerners celebrate like this. The feast is all your favorite foods: roast quail, rack of lamb, baked apples, lemon tarts and more. And the ale and wine is flowing abundantly. Spirits are high after defeating the undefeatable enemy.

 

Challenge:

Cook one new-to-you recipe. Maintain a food diary for 1 week. Check in the spreadsheet each day you kept a full food diary. Also check in the spreadsheet once you have cooked your new recipe.

 

PLEASE share with the group your exciting new recipes you’ve tried and your thoughts on them. Share how you feel about tracking your food. What is your strategy for keeping your food diary? Is there anything you’ve learned about your nutrition or your eating habits from keeping a food diary?

 

Q&A:

Q: What if I already keep a food diary, count calories, or count macros?

A: Kick it up a notch! Add water intake, better portion sizing control, or track to a new goal you’ve been wanting to hit such as different macronutrient breakdown. You can also track how you feel throughout the day, particularly during and after meals.

 

Q: Tracking my food is terrifying to me, do I have to?

A: There are many ways to track your food and it doesn’t always mean keeping a precise calorie count using an app or otherwise. Think of starting at Level 1, by just writing down in a notebook what you ate and at what time. No portions, no calories, no judgments. If this is still uncomfortable for you due to a history of eating disorders or other trauma, take a few minutes to sit down and write about why the practice is uncomfortable for you. PM @Miss_Marissa to come up with an alternate challenge goal for this week if necessary

 

 

Hi ya'll sorry for being late on this post. I got very into completing my week 3 challenge and then have a crazy work week this week. Enjoy!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just the kick in the pants I need to get back to counting out those darling little calories...

Me: "Ugh. Do we have to?"

Also me: "Yep. Yes we have to, or we eat too much food."
ALSO me: "But I don't wanna. Because cheesecake and popcorn with butter and fancy coffee drinks."

 

I'm afraid I will have to start on this challenge tomorrow morning. Tonight I intend to stress-eat Costco hot dogs and potato chips.

It's all about mindfulness and intention, I guess. LOL

(Disclaimer: I'm kidding, I'm kidding about the mindfulness thing.)

Spoiler

I know I shouldn't feel so depressed over this, because plenty of people would love a job at US$XX.XX per hour in a liberal coastal city. I'm just feeling a little miserable because the interview is for a job that pays literally half of what I used to make and I'd have to bus into the city. I know, #firstworldproblems and all. Next I will work on my gratitude, but right now I'm going to grieve a bit for my former paycheck and drive-it-myself commute.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last weeks challenge was incomplete as the tour agency mixed up our booking and gave us the wrong package I had to spend yesterday yelling at them to fix it. Its now fixed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New recipe will have to wait till weekends when I make my next set of zucchini boats and tamper with my black bean stew (which has finally gotten soft enough). 

 

I'm doing full food dairy, calorie counting and macros - protein, carbs, fat, vitamin A, Vitamin C, Calcium, Iron, Fibre, Potassium, Saturated fat, Sodium. Admittedly I don't track cooking sauces, but it's hard to estimate the amount. I cook by splashes, dollops, pinches etc. 

 

Food dairy: You don't want to eat outside regular stuff because of the additional time it takes to add the new stuff to your calorie counter. And I had no idea a plate of marmite chicken was that many calories (1565!)

 

And trying to hit potassium requirement of 4700 mg is a lost cause for most days for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, I'll go easy on this one, as Mon and Tue already went out of the window...

 

I already track my food intake - I count calories and proteins (the latter as part of challenge as well). For this week I will track my water intake, since I've never did that. It will probably turn out I don't drink enough ;)

 

For my NEW recipe, I'll do some research and try to make low calorie ice cream, easy enough to make it in hotel room (I'll be going for two week vacation in late July).

 

Share how you feel about tracking your food. - I got used to it. For me it's mandatory, since if I try to intuitively control my food, I catch myself on not eating enough (because I think I'm overeating already). 

 

What is your strategy for keeping your food diary? - Pen and paper or post-it app to take immediate notes after eating. If I don't note food right away, I tend to forget about things. Then I spend 30min in the evening and count all my food by ingredients. Meal prep helps to simplify the process as well. Oh, and archiving daily numbers here on my Battle Log.

I try to cut down my phone time, so I shun using food apps. They also tend to lack easy way to add custom dishes.

 

Is there anything you’ve learned about your nutrition or your eating habits from keeping a food diary? - Yeah, as said in first answer - I need to track my food to not under-eat. And on top of that, I'm trying to build a bit of muscle while on maintenance mode so I need to prioritize proteins. Tracking helps me plan my supper to balance my daily kcal/proteins.

 

share with the group your exciting new recipes - for now I only blended low fat quark with frozen blueberries. Tastes good, but not smooth enough to imitate ice cream. I'll try Greek yogurt as base on my next try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried a new recipe yesterday that came out really well.

 

I sliced up some pork into thin strips and marinated it in 1 tsp corn starch, 1, tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp chicken bullion, and 1 glug each of vegetable oil and soy sauce.  I then slice up some cabbage into thin strips, sliced up some leek into thin disks and minced 4 cloves of garlic.  Once everything was ready, I threw the pork into a hot wok and fried it up until it was no longer pink, then I added in the cabbage, garlic, leek, and fried it up with 1 glug oyster sauce (aka hoisin sauce), 3 glugs of soy sauce, 1 tbsp sugar and then let it reduce until the liquid became thick.  Served over rice

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright. Just scribbling down roughly what I ate. No macros or calories or grams or measurements of any kind, because I have done enough crying about stupid calories for a lifetime. Intuitive eating is working fine for me. Carbs are my friends. My lifts demand lots of food, and I am but a humble and obedient servant to my lifts. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I despise food tracking. Absolutely hate it. Calorie counting is in my mind firmly connected to so many negative things that I doubt I'll ever bother with it again, and my brain sees a food diary as being the same thing as calorie counting. I prefer to eat intuitively and mindfully, and to leave it at that.

 

However, I have been trying to figure out how to hold myself more accountable for making smart choices for my mindful eating, and I'm not sure how I'll be able to see improvement without tracking anything. So I'm using this week's challenge as an excuse to try and find a compromise between the two extremes, and I think maybe I have found a way to track that will not trigger all the negative emotions from when I tracked in the past.

 

A few challenges ago, someone in a Warriors thread mentioned the app You Ate ( @Harriet, wast this you?) It's a tracker that doesn't count calories or food! Last night at the gym, in between sets, I installed the app and played with it the settings and started using it in earnest this morning. To begin with, you set a goal in the app. There is a very strict character limit in this field, so you are forced to be brief and specific. Then it shows you a very, very  long list of actions to take towards that goal, and wants you to select a number of them. After selecting these actions are not displayed on the main screen, you have to go to edit your goal and actions to see them, so I picked three that will be easy to remember.

 

To use the app, either type in what you're eating or take a picture of the meal, and then answer this one question: Is this on the path towards your goal? And that's it.

 

I can do guilt free tracking! I hope. I will certainly give it a fair chance and keep an open mind about it this week. :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

A few challenges ago, someone in a Warriors thread mentioned the app You Ate ( @Harriet, wast this you?) It's a tracker that doesn't count calories or food! Last night at the gym, in between sets, I installed the app and played with it the settings and started using it in earnest this morning. To begin with, you set a goal in the app. There is a very strict character limit in this field, so you are forced to be brief and specific. Then it shows you a very, very  long list of actions to take towards that goal, and wants you to select a number of them. After selecting these actions are not displayed on the main screen, you have to go to edit your goal and actions to see them, so I picked three that will be easy to remember.

 

@Grumble recommended it and may be still using it. I tried it but quit because I kept forgetting and because I decided to stop dieting and EAT ALL THE THINGS like a beast.

 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115d0a96757a3935672e

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I tried a new recipe yesterday that came out really well.

 

I sliced up some pork into thin strips and marinated it in 1 tsp corn starch, 1, tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp chicken bullion, and 1 glug each of vegetable oil and soy sauce.  I then slice up some cabbage into thin strips, sliced up some leek into thin disks and minced 4 cloves of garlic.  Once everything was ready, I threw the pork into a hot wok and fried it up until it was no longer pink, then I added in the cabbage, garlic, leek, and fried it up with 1 glug oyster sauce (aka hoisin sauce), 3 glugs of soy sauce, 1 tbsp sugar and then let it reduce until the liquid became thick.  Served over rice

 There's a variation to this recipe you may want to try: add sliced dried shiitake mushrooms(after they have been soaked) to the mix, just after then you brown your garlic. 

 

I've done it before and I like the earthy flavour shiitake mushrooms add to the dish. It adds a layer of complexity. 

 

Shiitake mushrooms: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.taste.com.au/quick-easy/articles/how-to-prepare-dried-shiitake-mushrooms/8jwnrwwb

 

You can also add sliced carrots to the dish as well. Makes the whole thing look like a rainbow. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Alright. Just scribbling down roughly what I ate. No macros or calories or grams or measurements of any kind, because I have done enough crying about stupid calories for a lifetime. Intuitive eating is working fine for me. Carbs are my friends. My lifts demand lots of food, and I am but a humble and obedient servant to my lifts. 

 

Yeah if I expand a lot of energy through the day, I find myself looking for noodles/pasta as well. Especially when eating out because its hard for me to feel full otherwise. I KNOW I am a hungry, hungry monster. I have to direct the hunger in the right directions or the wrong food goes in. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mortimer said:

 

I KNOW I am a hungry, hungry monster. I have to direct the hunger in the right directions or the wrong food goes in. 

 

Yes. I know exactly what you mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Carbs are my friends

I don't know how you do it. Every time I eat carbs, I'm satiated for half an hour, then I start to feel hunger again. Or maybe not a real hunger, but this feeling of crave. Pasta gives me this feeling even faster - I finish my meal, look around and think "NOW I would like to eat something...". Grain based things (dumplings, bread) satiate for longer, but still comes this feeling. Only starchy food (potatoes and such) are okay with satiating for longer.

 

Water tracking:

coffee - 1.4 liter, water - 1.9 liter. 3.3 liter total. I'm surprised it's so much, I thought I drink less.

 

Recipes:

I used cottage cheese as a base for my ice cream. After blending it tasted quite well, I will check and report it after freezing. 

Next try - Greek yogurt. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can eat carbs or eat beans and feel happy, but generally it's easier to get noodles/pasta/rice/potatoes outside then get enough beans/vegetables to make me happy. 

 

It's like, you can eat 15 meat dumplings or 6 meat dumplings and noodle soup. The first option would obviously cost quite a bit more... 

 

If I make a happy fruit pig out of myself, it's effects won't last very long, I still need protein of some kind. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, aramis said:

I don't know how you do it. Every time I eat carbs, I'm satiated for half an hour, then I start to feel hunger again. Or maybe not a real hunger, but this feeling of crave. Pasta gives me this feeling even faster - I finish my meal, look around and think "NOW I would like to eat something...". Grain based things (dumplings, bread) satiate for longer, but still comes this feeling. Only starchy food (potatoes and such) are okay with satiating for longer.

 

 

Oh wow, aramis. I though it was "just me"!

 

The fancy diagnostic term for this per my doc was "reactive hypoglycemia" and I was told to eat more proteins and fats, and to limit simple carbs like refined pasta and white bread, sugary fruits (think the keto fruit list when selecting your nature's candy), not drink soda/juice/sugary water, and to ensure I'm getting enough "good greens"...that is, non-starchy green vegetables. She actually recommended keto.

 

So far a majority of the advice seems to be helping, but without some sort of easily digested carbohydrate that is NOT fruit, my gums start to bleed and I start bruising at the slightest touch. That's, um, actually two symptoms of scurvy--turns out my body needs a few simple carbs in order to do the Vitamin C processing correctly. I couldn't keep eating six oranges a day to try to keep up with it. I started to hate oranges, and decided enough was enough. Also, if I don't have a breadstick with that chicken-and-greens salad I may gnaw someone's arm off. So there's a satiation thing there too which means it's gotta be a delicate balance. I've taken to eating the bread or noodles nearly last.

 

My biggest frustrations are:
Things like bread and ramen are easy/convenient/shelf-stable

Things like bread and ramen cause my body to overreact to them, meaning weight gain and insatiable hunger.

Protein/fat are expensive in comparison to things like bread/ramen.

 

Now I recall why I hate hate HATE counting calories--most trackers only have single item foods (think: potato, X grams, with jacket) or processed foods (think: Lean Cuisine Roast Pheasant with Brussels Sprouts). I just don't eat that way. None of the recipes I use frequently are in the trackers, and it's a pain to add them. I know, I know...I need to track, because that sets me up for success. But I really do hate it. It's inefficient, it's annoying, and it's--it's downright time consuming!

 

For the recipe? Hmm.
I have this tendency to "improve" recipes I come across. I think my challenge may have to be to "follow the recipe precisely". Gotta find a recipe...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, NymianH said:

The fancy diagnostic term for this per my doc was "reactive hypoglycemia"

Hmm, funny you mentioned that, because I tend to have a low blood sugar level from time to time. Nothing stable, so it doesn't show in my blood tests, but it happened a couple of times I felt really bad and my mom (recently diagnosed diabetic) or other (also diabetic) friend checked my sugar - it was way below the norm. In those cases fast snack of bread or chocolate put me on my feet in no time. But since then I can recognize symptoms of low sugar and to fight that, I always carry some sweet whole grain biscuit or something similar with me. 

 

My recipe for ice cream failed. Maybe if I had ice cream machine... But it needs to be simple. Frozen blended cottage cheese tastes like raw flour (frozen fat from it I suppose). I'll check the yogurt version today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you feel about tracking your food?

I am okay with it. It gets overwhelming sometimes when I am feeling grazy because that is harder to track.. but also probably one of the reasons I am so overweight as well. It is easier when doing very simple and repetitive meals.

 

What is your strategy for keeping your food diary?

I use MFP. Sometimes if I am weighing things out I will take a note then add them in later. I try to do it either before or after every meal while it is fresh in my head.

 

Is there anything you’ve learned about your nutrition or your eating habits from keeping a food diary?

My diet is super carb heavy and I have trouble hitting my protein macro goal.

 

New recipes ideas:

I was wanting to try "One pot black pepper chicken"

 

So for the past couple (3-4?) challenges I have been working on food tracking. In the beginning I just tracked what I ate in MFP with rough guesstimations of quantities. I am now tracking using weights or actual measurements and the goal is to be able to switch to tracking macros.... because when left to my own devices I will always have high carb, moderate fat, low protein. And this sets me up for failure because I get super "hungry" and want to eat all the things all the time. I become snack squirrel. My body does better on lower carb, moderate protein but my mental state doesn't always do great on that for long periods of time. I think 1-2 months is my limit right now before I start wanting all the things anyways. In these challenges I have also been working on getting me drinking up to 2L of water. So I also have been tracking water consumption... but once I hit 2L I don't count past that I just say 2+L. 

 

For this challenge I am going to try and tighten up my calorie counting again because I have been a bit off the rails and just gaining back all the weight I lost.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, aramis said:

I don't know how you do it. Every time I eat carbs, I'm satiated for half an hour, then I start to feel hunger again.

 

Hmmm. Carbs used to make me tired and prompt cravings. But that could be because I was eating processed carbs with not much of anything else, and I wasn't exercising. Also, I was skinny-fat. These days I try to stick some fruit or veg, fat and protein in with all meals, and I exercise a lot. Like, 1.5 hours of lifting or taekwondo, and 40-60 minutes of walking most days. I did try restricting carbs AND exercising. I would eat something like eggs and veg, or cottage cheese and fruit, but then I would need something later. I was obsessed with food all the time because I was trying to cut down but I always wanted more. Now I eat as much as I like and I don't think about it as much in between meals. And the occasional highly refined carb treat doesn't seem to have the same sleepy effect that it used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I despise food tracking. Absolutely hate it. Calorie counting is in my mind firmly connected to so many negative things that I doubt I'll ever bother with it again, and my brain sees a food diary as being the same thing as calorie counting. I prefer to eat intuitively and mindfully, and to leave it at that.

 

However, I have been trying to figure out how to hold myself more accountable for making smart choices for my mindful eating, and I'm not sure how I'll be able to see improvement without tracking anything. So I'm using this week's challenge as an excuse to try and find a compromise between the two extremes, and I think maybe I have found a way to track that will not trigger all the negative emotions from when I tracked in the past.

 

A few challenges ago, someone in a Warriors thread mentioned the app You Ate ( @Harriet, wast this you?) It's a tracker that doesn't count calories or food! Last night at the gym, in between sets, I installed the app and played with it the settings and started using it in earnest this morning. To begin with, you set a goal in the app. There is a very strict character limit in this field, so you are forced to be brief and specific. Then it shows you a very, very  long list of actions to take towards that goal, and wants you to select a number of them. After selecting these actions are not displayed on the main screen, you have to go to edit your goal and actions to see them, so I picked three that will be easy to remember.

 

To use the app, either type in what you're eating or take a picture of the meal, and then answer this one question: Is this on the path towards your goal? And that's it.

 

I can do guilt free tracking! I hope. I will certainly give it a fair chance and keep an open mind about it this week. :)

This resonates with me a lot! I'm going to check out the app for sure! sounds right up my alley of what I've been looking for.

 

1 hour ago, NymianH said:

Now I recall why I hate hate HATE counting calories--most trackers only have single item foods (think: potato, X grams, with jacket) or processed foods (think: Lean Cuisine Roast Pheasant with Brussels Sprouts). I just don't eat that way. None of the recipes I use frequently are in the trackers, and it's a pain to add them. I know, I know...I need to track, because that sets me up for success. But I really do hate it. It's inefficient, it's annoying, and it's--it's downright time consuming!

you don't need to track to be successful. and there are many different ways to track than using MFP app.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This food tracking challenge fits right in with some stuff I’ve been thinking about lately. I dislike counting calories, since it seems to bring me to a very un-good brain place. But, I think keeping some sort of record would be good. And for the past few months I’ve been stuck and just content to let that be an idea that I chew on every once in a while.

So, I’m starting real simple - just pen and paper. I’m not going to fuss about amounts or servings, mainly because I don’t particularly measure when I cook. How much cabbage is in the stir fry? Enough, that’s how much

Rather, I’m focusing on an honest account that I can reflect back on. It may serve as a base line for meal planning in the future.

On the recipe front: I’m gonna take a crack at veggie tempura pancakes (which is actually just step one in recreating my favorite dish from my favorite Japanese place at home: veggie tempura udon ). I’ll be using the recipe from Washoku by Elizabeth Andoh.

5d3d579adbd3682f880e2a621671af44.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, aramis said:

Recipes:

I used cottage cheese as a base for my ice cream. After blending it tasted quite well, I will check and report it after freezing. 

Next try - Greek yogurt. 

 

Yogurt based ice cream is delicious. I recommend adding fresh berries for flavor. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now