traaki

Okay. I missed...a challenge? More than one challenge? I don't know. It's been a busy six weeks. I'm proud of myself for mostly keeping up with workouts, and keeping up with hydration and sleep. And writing a ton.  But I'd like to get back on the wagon. Things aren't going to get simpler anytime soon, but I want to be doing better on my goals. I want to be less reactive. I want to focus on my own goals and move those forward. 

It's way past time to update my goals for Q2 2019, so here you go: 

Spoiler

Writing

• Put together a zine based on my master naturalist classes
  • Finish Natalie Goldberg class

Health

• Catch up on my workout pace for the year. 
  • Keep doing nutrition quests.
  • Float twice more.

Wealth

• Buy a house
  • Figure out how to pay for grad school

Joy/Personal

• DM Uncaged Anthology 3x

Environment

• Master Naturalist class
  • Repot my plants

Community

• Take on leadership role in my OSS community

Skill/Career

• Migrate blogs into one site
  • Propose new talk at 3 events

So, since last we talked, the gaming con I was co-planning happened, it was awesome.  My poetry Patreon launched. And probably some other super big things happened. 

Between now and the end of June (WAIT WHAT, THE QUARTER IS HALF OVER WTF) I have a few big things I want to get done: 

• My partner is starting grad school.
  • We're gonna buy a house.

Plus dozens of small but still big things: 

• I'm getting certified as a master naturalist (wat)
  • I'm DM'ing some D&D adventures, for like, money? THAT'S NOT INTIMIDATING AT ALL
  • I'm taking on the leadership group of an OSS community group and that's great but again NOT INTIMIDATING AT ALL. 

The house purchase is starting to feel...semi-urgent as roommate relations have been deteriorating faster than they seem to recover. I'm bummed about that, but just trying to use that as motivation to get the house sorted out. 

SO. ANYWAY. That's the landscape.  Now for the quests. 

Q1: Workout three times per week. 

I've been doing a fair amount of yoga and sometimes walking, rather than the bodyweight stuff I was doing, and I'm hitting 2x week pretty often.  I want to get back to 3x per week.

Q2: Swap tea for DDP twice per week. 

Caffeine is nice, Diet Dr. Pepper is not as nice. I'd like to try swapping it out for something a little healthier.

Q3: Take at least one step toward home ownership each week. 

This can mean: Calling a realtor, going to open houses, talking to a mortgage person, doing research. Looking at houses on realtor.com doesn't count. 

Q4: Doing at least one hour of writing, three times a week.

I have this time blocked off, but I frequently don't make it for the whole hour.  Time to be a bit more focused there. There's a lot demanding my attention but writing is my rock. 

I feel...okay about this challenge.  I think salads were causing freakouts and then I wouldn't update and then a terrible spiral would begin.  Sorry for vanishing on y'all. <3

• Like 1

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

You are doing so many cool things! :D

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 5/23/2019 at 8:25 PM, traaki said:
  • I'm getting certified as a master naturalist (wat)
  • I'm DM'ing some D&D adventures, for like, money? THAT'S NOT INTIMIDATING AT ALL
  • I'm taking on the leadership group of an OSS community group and that's great but again NOT INTIMIDATING AT ALL.

Out of curiosity, do you keep track of how many not-at-all-intimidating things you've stepped up to and crushed in the past? 'Cause I keep seeing you say that, and you keep killing them. 

Just a thought. 

Lots going on, boo about the roommate situation, and good luck with everything.

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Last week's report, which didn't publish for some reason: 

Q1: Workout three times per week. (2/3)

Q2: Swap tea for DDP twice per week.  (0.5/2?) 

So, at lunch at a restaurant I got iced tea (unsweetened) instead of Diet Dr. Pepper....but then when I got home I just had DDP as well. Quite honestly my heart just isn't in it.  We also went for a money retreat (where we hole up in a rented place and crunch a bunch of numbers for our finances) and I didn't take any soda...but I definitely got some when we were out.  

Q3: Take at least one step toward homeownership each week. (4/1)

Went to an open house, drove around neighborhoods we are interested in, applied for a mortgage pre-approval, emailed realtors...we did a lot of work here.

Q4: Doing at least one hour of writing, three times a week. (2/3)

I wasn't able to make my Saturday time.

• Like 1

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

And now this week's report-thus-far: 

Q1: Workout three times per week. 

Monday I did bodyweight.  Today I did something I like to call "shoveling rocks".  Tomorrow I've got a 6ish mile bike ride built into my schedule, and then Friday....more shoveling rocks. 

Q2: Swap tea for DDP twice per week. Breakfast upgrade: Add veggies.

I live in a household full of soda addicts and the win:struggle ratio ain't worth it right now.  I'm going to up my breakfast game. I will buy vegetables and saute them with my egg whites.  

Q3: Take at least one step toward homeownership each week. 

Just met with a realtor & am going to be putting in my paperwork to finalize a mortgage offer.  Can I just say, it feels *SO* good to hear the mortgage broker complimenting my credit score? I have worked my tail off to get it where it is and I'm super proud.

Q4: Doing at least one hour of writing, three times a week. (1/3)  Do at least one hour of writing, twice a week, and ten minutes of additional writing practice twice a week. (1/2, 1/2)

We'll see. Things are getting busy rn--partner starting up grad school, me starting up master naturalist classes, house hunting

Okay, I think these are slightly better quests. I'm feeling better about them than before--before I admit I was avoiding checking in because the goals felt wrong. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2019 at 8:57 AM, raptron said:

You are doing so many cool things! :D

Thank you!! 

On 5/25/2019 at 12:22 PM, Manarelle said:

Out of curiosity, do you keep track of how many not-at-all-intimidating things you've stepped up to and crushed in the past? 'Cause I keep seeing you say that, and you keep killing them. 

Just a thought. 

Lots going on, boo about the roommate situation, and good luck with everything.

Haha, that's a good point. I'm sorta drawn to intimidating things, but then when it's time to get it done, I get real stressed out.  SO PRODUCTIVE!? :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, traaki said:

Q2: Swap tea for DDP twice per week. Breakfast upgrade: Add veggies.

I live in a household full of soda addicts and the win:struggle ratio ain't worth it right now.  I'm going to up my breakfast game. I will buy vegetables and saute them with my egg whites. 

Bah, boo for non-supportive soda addicts. Good call on switching to something you aren't being actively sabotaged in, though. 

17 hours ago, traaki said:

Can I just say, it feels *SO* good to hear the mortgage broker complimenting my credit score? I have worked my tail off to get it where it is and I'm super proud.

Oh heck yeah, congrats on this! That is not an easy thing to achieve. Good luck on the offer!

On 6/6/2019 at 11:44 AM, Manarelle said:

Bah, boo for non-supportive soda addicts. Good call on switching to something you aren't being actively sabotaged in, though.   

Thanks! I would love to be in a place where I could wean myself off but it's just...there's other stuff I can do, and I'll be able to tackle that by the second half of this year. 

On 6/6/2019 at 11:44 AM, Manarelle said:

Oh heck yeah, congrats on this! That is not an easy thing to achieve. Good luck on the offer!

THANKS! We talked to a second mortgage broker last night and she asked for our credit scores twice because she didn't believe us the first time. :D

• Haha 1

Q1: Workout three times per week. (4/3)

I got an extra workout in last week, and that's not even counting the dancing I did at Pride. 

Q2: Breakfast upgrade: Add veggies.

I upgraded 2 days of the week, which was about all there was last week

Talked to another mortgage broker yesterday, and I'm hoping to put in the final paperwork we need to get the pre-approval today. And then hopefully get some houses planned to visit with the realtor.

Q4:  Do at least one hour of writing, twice a week, and ten minutes of additional writing practice twice a week. (2/2, 2/2)

Whoo! One of my normal writing times has been eaten up by some work stuff, so that's a bummer. I'm hoping I can keep it up though. 

• Like 2

Q1: Workout three times per week. (4/3)

Whoo, four again! Two bodyweight, one bicycling, and one rock climbing. Not even going to count the hiking/walking I did as part of my class.

Q2: Breakfast upgrade: Add veggies.

Did pretty good!

Submitted some paperwork for the mortgage, but this one got a bit slower this week.

Q4:  Do at least one hour of writing, twice a week, and ten minutes of additional writing practice twice a week. (2/2, 2/2)

I had a great Tuesday with SO MUCH writing in it.  I'm thinking I may use the 10 minutes of writing practice to go out and do some nature observation for my naturalist classes.

• Like 1

Overall I'm feeling pretty good. My overall activity/exercise level feels higher with my class--just getting outside and walking more. 

Life is really feeling like a super busy clusterf*ck right now.  Not in a *terrible* way, but in a maybe-I-should-drop-something way.  But I keep on keepin' on. 

I'd like to continue finding time for writing and some time also for nature observation/field journaling.  These skills feel so compatible.  

I also have some writing projects I'd like to turn into finished products but I think I'm just going to keep on as I am. I am practicing saying no to people until October -- no new commitments! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, traaki said:

Overall I'm feeling pretty good. My overall activity/exercise level feels higher with my class--just getting outside and walking more. 

\o/

Life is really feeling like a super busy clusterf*ck right now.  Not in a *terrible* way, but in a maybe-I-should-drop-something way.  But I keep on keepin' on. 

Is there something you could drop without much anguish?

I also have some writing projects I'd like to turn into finished products but I think I'm just going to keep on as I am. I am practicing saying no to people until October -- no new commitments! 

Love it.

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 6/16/2019 at 9:03 PM, traaki said:

I am practicing saying no to people until October -- no new commitments! 

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas. This is such a great skill to have. Give future you some breathing room. Nice work on the workouts and journaling, sounds like you're in a good place, despite the crazy busy-ness.