A (hopefully triumphant) Return

Possibly.

I looked back, and it seems I haven’t been ‘round these parts in, uh, a loooong time (2016, which feels like 10 years ago).

To make a long and somewhat sad story short: chaos ensued, I lost some people I dearly love, and now I’m settling back into my life. And I think I’m ready to re-embark on this journey. And perfect timing, honestly (more on that below).

So, a re-introduction then: I’m Amaya, and I dance - I try to keep it simple like that! Specifically I’m a bellydancer: I run a studio and lead a troupe too. Most of my physical goals, unsurprisingly, revolve around that part of my life. I also have a regular 9-5 at an office, which I’m still somewhat new at - I started in February. This year has really felt like a whirlwind.

What’s spurring me on lately is that my troupe’s been hired for a steady summer gig at a Ren Fest. Honestly, I’ve lost a lot of my stamina, so gearing up for this will continue to focus on building that back up - those 5 25-30 minute sets every Saturday and Sunday ain’t gonna dance themselves.

• Like 1

Possibly.

I looked back, and it seems I haven’t been ‘round these parts in, uh, a loooong time (2016, which feels like 10 years ago).

To make a long and somewhat sad story short: chaos ensued, I lost some people I dearly love, and now I’m settling back into my life. And I think I’m ready to re-embark on this journey. And perfect timing, honestly (more on that below).

So, a re-introduction then: I’m Amaya, and I dance - I try to keep it simple like that! Specifically I’m a bellydancer: I run a studio and lead a troupe too. Most of my physical goals, unsurprisingly, revolve around that part of my life. I also have a regular 9-5 at an office, which I’m still somewhat new at - I started in February. This year has really felt like a whirlwind.

What’s spurring me on lately is that my troupe’s been hired for a steady summer gig at a Ren Fest. Honestly, I’ve lost a lot of my stamina, so gearing up for this will continue to focus on building that back up - those 5 25-30 minute sets every Saturday and Sunday ain’t gonna dance themselves.

Welcome back!!
I feel you, losing dear ones is real crap and it takes time to go back. Take care of yourself!
I have done some bellydance classes, I'm actually going to a hafla this weekend (not good enough to dance though). what is your routine? Are you in a challenge?

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I have done some bellydance classes, I'm actually going to a hafla this weekend (not good enough to dance though). what is your routine? Are you in a challenge?

Yay hafla!!! We’ve been so busy with all this that I haven’t planned one in a while - maybe in the fall after a little recovery? That sounds splendid!

I’ll be starting a challenge thread later this evening - but right now the most concrete part of my routine is class (that I teach) twice a week, with solo practice sessions before hand, and separate rehearsals on the weekend. I’m looking to finally add in some dedicated gym time. I’ve also been able to do a lot more walking thanks to the new job location.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Yay hafla!!! We’ve been so busy with all this that I haven’t planned one in a while - maybe in the fall after a little recovery? That sounds splendid!

I’ll be starting a challenge thread later this evening - but right now the most concrete part of my routine is class (that I teach) twice a week, with solo practice sessions before hand, and separate rehearsals on the weekend. I’m looking to finally add in some dedicated gym time. I’ve also been able to do a lot more walking thanks to the new job location.

Do you have your own studio? I soon will have a house, and I'm trying to set a little space to dance a bit.
Since my teacher retired (she does workshop, not classes) I'm picking up ballet.
I'm a beginner anyway! How did you started? How long have you been dancingm

Do you have your own studio? I soon will have a house, and I'm trying to set a little space to dance a bit.
Since my teacher retired (she does workshop, not classes) I'm picking up ballet.
I'm a beginner anyway! How did you started? How long have you been dancingm

Yes - I manage our studio, which is daunting and fun! For me, that includes the bonus of being able to use it whenever I’d like.

I started on my own, scrounging up tutorial videos on YouTube, in 2008. A friend of mine starting teaching in town about a year later so I started taking in-person classes. We started our troupe back in 2012, but there have been some major changes along the way - like me somehow ending up in charge!

What style do you do? I started in a nebulous American Vintage/Cabaret place, then discovered ATS and Tribal Fusion and usually stick with those.

You’ll have to let me know how ballet goes! I’ve thought about it before, but I haven’t been able to make the class times fit with my schedule. I think it would be an interesting counterpoint to Middle Eastern dance - external/internal, extension/contraction.

Yes - I manage our studio, which is daunting and fun! For me, that includes the bonus of being able to use it whenever I’d like.

I started on my own, scrounging up tutorial videos on YouTube, in 2008. A friend of mine starting teaching in town about a year later so I started taking in-person classes. We started our troupe back in 2012, but there have been some major changes along the way - like me somehow ending up in charge!

What style do you do? I started in a nebulous American Vintage/Cabaret place, then discovered ATS and Tribal Fusion and usually stick with those.

You’ll have to let me know how ballet goes! I’ve thought about it before, but I haven’t been able to make the class times fit with my schedule. I think it would be an interesting counterpoint to Middle Eastern dance - external/internal, extension/contraction.

That's amazing! Having your space whenever you want!
Do you have videos you reccommend?
I did middle-eastern bellydance, but now at a flashmob of thaitian dance, that has similar hip movements than bellydance. Might take these classes too!
I heard that ballet aids bellydance to have cleaner movements. For now I know nothing more [emoji28]