• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jean

Shape of the Cheetah

You know what? Fuck that!

I "want" to build upper body strength (wanting not that much because it keeps getting put aside for other things to be done) but you know what I am good at? Walking. I can walk for days and I now want to expand on it by learning how to run. Running is a nice transportation mean, it will take you over mountains and to the shopping mall. It opens up the field to a wide array of weekend events to which to attend where you can socialize while being a badass hero.

Let's focus on running for this challenge!

Now, as always, the key is consistency and the key to consistency is making the steps easier than easy and putting it on passive mode. I have no energy reserve in the morning, none at noon and none when I leave work so when I have availability is in the evening, at home. There's a road, then a path, then a running trail outside of my home so I'll focus on that. I go from home, I hit the road and it'll be nice benchmarks to celebrate when I hit the path, then the trail.

So, let's make this easy:

Week 1: Leave home running, start walking whenever it feels like too much then walk. For 5 minutes, then 6, then 7,... (+1 each day). Reassess things on Sunday.

Week 2: Act upon whatever decision is taken the previous Sunday.

Week 3: Rinse.

Week 4: And repeat.

I've started today because there was no reason not to.

Friday, June May 24th: Ran for 5 minutes - hit the path.

:blink: I can't believe I wrote a whole month off and nobody told me. xD

• Like 6

Sunday, June May 26th: Ran for 7 minutes.

Bought a pair of weighted bracers to make my arms and upper body work a bit during these runs. We'll see how it works.

• Like 1

I'm mighty tired of the bullshit that comes with my job, I want to just lay down and sleep and not care about what's gonna happen tomorrow. I don't want to go out and run. It's raining.

Putting on my running clothes, see you in 30 minutes.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jean said:

I'm mighty tired of the bullshit that comes with my job, I want to just lay down and sleep and not care about what's gonna happen tomorrow. I don't want to go out and run. It's raining.

This is sad and I am sorry that things are sucky.

9 minutes ago, Jean said:

Putting on my running clothes, see you in 30 minutes.

This makes you awesome.

• Thanks 1

Hey! Been off on vacation, sorry for not stopping in early.

Running in the rain can be good fun - chaffing is rough though... 

• Thanks 1

Thanks mates! The rain wasn't too heavy, so it was indeed actually nice, though I suspect that getting rid of some of my frustration through physical effort took part in it too.

I hope you had a great time on vacations (and are still having it). Also, stopping in is fully optional. ;)

Anyway: Tuesday, May 28th: Ran for 9 minutes.

• Like 2

I'm giving myself a free pass for today. I went hiking with a friend, got home after nightfall and really don't want to go out to do it with no light right now. Never two in a row, though. Tomorrow, I'll be running.

Thanks for the support. :)

• Like 2

Friday, May 31st: Ran for 10 minutes.

I went for keeping it easy and, since I had skipped one day of training, kept the previous time target for this day.

Saturday, June 1st: Ran for 11 minutes.

Sunday, June 2nd: Ran for 12 minutes.

This is an interesting milestone, since this was the standard running test back when I was in college. I rember struggling more to keep running the whole time but I was also a whole lot quicker (running with other people might have helped with that part).

Plan for week 2:

I'll keep the running at 12 minutes, I don't think I could push it to 19 minutes by the end of the week right now.

I'm actually hitting the Vita trail within this time. This is a very nice place set to do Strength, Endurance and Speed exercises outside. I'll start making one of the exercises showcased there per day. I can choose which one freely, this is just a discovery thing for now.

I'm upgrading the weighted bracers from .5 to 1kg each.

• Like 1

So the all-guild wants us to look elsewhere, and since I basically train to hike/climb/etc while possible carrying up to 175 lbs of kids, I thought I'd check in on the Scouts.  

I gotta say, I like your attitude of starting today because, why wait until later?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, thanks. I mean, there's always a later, right? And there's always a today too. I guess I just get more things done when I do them "today" rather than "later".

Also, Holy Calooey! I've slept for 14.5 hours last night! I seem to be stretching myself thinner than I thought. Incidentally, I haven't run yesterday (because I was sleeping, duh!). This has been corrected today and I've run during my lunch break. This looks like a good time, I can make myself a couple of sandwiches in the morning, run at noon and eat the sandwiches while walking back home.

Also, my legs are telling me that they don't want to run anymore. It's funny because walking seems to be fine so, I should be able to run and walk by intervals, regenerating during the walk. This means that I am ready for some running events if I can eat my pride and walk whenever I need to (and start running again after that whenever I can). There's nothing I'm too enthusiastic about these next few weeks but I'll keep my eyes out to see if there's some interesting events that give me the right vibe to register to.

Monday, June 3rd: Nothing, nada, zilch, nichts.

Tuesday, June 4th: Ran for twelve minutes, tried a strength exercise (seems like I have the required energy to do a few of those after running).

• Like 2

Wednesday, June 5th: Ran for 12 minutes, did a strength exercise.

My legs didn't hate me today so that's progress. :)

• Like 1

A'rright, I am destroyed tonight and won't go running, giving myself another pass.

Weekend is coming.

I've not run today either, so that's two in a row. I'm still going to bed now because I need the rest. I've let outside circumstances take a bit too much of a hold on my these last few days, gotta work on that for the next days.

G'night everybody.

On 6/3/2019 at 12:33 PM, Sciread77 said:

So the all-guild wants us to look elsewhere, and since I basically train to hike/climb/etc while possible carrying up to 175 lbs of kids, I thought I'd check in on the Scouts.  

I gotta say, I like your attitude of starting today because, why wait until later?

Heck, yes, join the Scouts! Or at least come visit.

It's been a little quiet here this time, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna liven up next time around. I'm moving over for sure and looking for others to join!

On 6/4/2019 at 12:48 PM, Jean said:

Yeah, thanks. I mean, there's always a later, right? And there's always a today too. I guess I just get more things done when I do them "today" rather than "later".

Also, Holy Calooey! I've slept for 14.5 hours last night! I seem to be stretching myself thinner than I thought. Incidentally, I haven't run yesterday (because I was sleeping, duh!). This has been corrected today and I've run during my lunch break. This looks like a good time, I can make myself a couple of sandwiches in the morning, run at noon and eat the sandwiches while walking back home.

Also, my legs are telling me that they don't want to run anymore. It's funny because walking seems to be fine so, I should be able to run and walk by intervals, regenerating during the walk. This means that I am ready for some running events if I can eat my pride and walk whenever I need to (and start running again after that whenever I can). There's nothing I'm too enthusiastic about these next few weeks but I'll keep my eyes out to see if there's some interesting events that give me the right vibe to register to.

Monday, June 3rd: Nothing, nada, zilch, nichts.

Tuesday, June 4th: Ran for twelve minutes, tried a strength exercise (seems like I have the required energy to do a few of those after running).

I know you've missed a couple of days, but you really have been going very strongly! Walking breaks are a great way to build up your time. No shame in that! And yes, I think an event could be fun and motivating for you. Let us know what you decide!

• Like 2

Some would say that I have lost some momentum. Others, mostly myself, say that sitting out a few days doesn't matter as much as getting back on the trail when mental availability allows for it. Personally, I blame myself for letting other things take precedence when I should clearly teach them their place and protect my life.

Anyway:

Thursday, June 6th: nope.

Friday, June 7th: niet.

Saturday, June 8th: nada.

Sunday, June 9th: zilch.

Monday, June 10th: rien du tout.

Tuesday, June 11th: niente.

Wednesday, June 12th: niets.

Thursday, June 13th: 什么.

Friday, June 14th: ничего.

Saturday, June 15th: niebyt.

Sunday, June 16th: ran 12 minutes.

Monday, June 17th: ran 12 minutes.

Plan for the week: consistency a.k.a. run 12 minutes every single day (no additional constraint).

I'd better up my game, too, if I intend to run for the September Challenge, which are 3 mountain races at one or two weeks interval for:

• 8.4 km and 1,350 m of ascending elevation;
  • 6.3 km and 930 m of ascending elevation;
  • 7.95 km and 1,600 m of ascending elevation.

I know I can do the last one so there's some more training to do to ensure I can go for the three of them and not look ridiculous.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jean said:

Sunday, June 16th: ran 12 minutes.

Monday, June 17th: ran 12 minutes.

This is the most important part. As you said, time off is not big deal, sometimes beneficial, and sometimes unavoidable.

18 minutes ago, Jean said:

there's some more training to do to ensure I can go for the three of them and not look ridiculous.

I totally know what you mean. You have a sort of goal for how you would want to perform based on your own image of yourself. What would you think if you saw someone really struggling up the mountain, sitting down and taking a break, or even dropping out at some point? Probably that the person gave it a try and that racing up a mountain is freaking hard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Xena said:

Heck, yes, join the Scouts! Or at least come visit.

It's been a little quiet here this time, but I'm pretty sure it's gonna liven up next time around. I'm moving over for sure and looking for others to join!

I should definitely come by. Maybe I’ll cross post my upcoming vacation event. We’re taking a cross-country road trip with 1-2 hikes a day for 11-13 days coming up in a few weeks. 

I used to run run a lot, and I miss it. I had to quit due to arthritis that flares when I run. It can be pretty hard on the joints. But it was great to get it the flow. And when I was a kid it kept my lab dog from turning into a sausage. 

45 minutes ago, Jean said:

Some would say that I have lost some momentum. Others, mostly myself, say that sitting out a few days doesn't matter as much as getting back on the trail when mental availability allows for it. Personally, I blame myself for letting other things take precedence when I should clearly teach them their place and protect my life.

Rest is good for you, to be sure. Without recovery time, both physical and mental, it’s hard to make progress. On the other hand, it’s gotta be habit. How long and often have you been running?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Xena said:

What would you think if you saw someone really struggling up the mountain, sitting down and taking a break, or even dropping out at some point? Probably that the person gave it a try and that racing up a mountain is freaking hard.

Sure, but these are mountain races I can't really well walk my way on the incline and run only when it's flat. I want to at least give a good shot at interval running, alterning running and walking on the way up. For me, it's a matter of proving to myself that I can train and get better at something and stick to it so, the date is set and it's on me, now. I'll have to train on more incline runs, next challenge. We'll see if I can stick to running everyday this week first.

7 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

How long and often have you been running?

Let's say I'm not really someone used to give in regularly to anything sportsy. xD I'm naturally built to run, though, slim figure, muscles in the legs, good breath, so if there are things I can be good at, this is one of them but what I'm really not good at is sticking to something. Sports, music, relationships, work... so this is a good test, will I have run for 3 months several times a week come September? Or will I, as ever, have relied on my natural bent and trusted I could do it without training, not sleeping several nights ahead, living on coffee without eating and thinking that that will certainly allow me to fare good enough? I'm eager to see. The good thing is that, now, I'm also eager to live it so, it's a matter of not letting life get in the way and keeping myself focused on the things I do for myself.

Thanks both for the support. :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jean said:

Let's say I'm not really someone used to give in regularly to anything sportsy. xD I'm naturally built to run, though, slim figure, muscles in the legs, good breath, so if there are things I can be good at, this is one of them but what I'm really not good at is sticking to something. Sports, music, relationships, work... so this is a good test, will I have run for 3 months several times a week come September? Or will I, as ever, have relied on my natural bent and trusted I could do it without training, not sleeping several nights ahead, living on coffee without eating and thinking that that will certainly allow me to fare good enough? I'm eager to see. The good thing is that, now, I'm also eager to live it so, it's a matter of not letting life get in the way and keeping myself focused on the things I do for myself.

Thanks both for the support. :)

Always glad to support. And I apologize if I come across as nosy; you can always tell me to back off. Since it appears you’re relatively new, are you taking precautions against knee/calf/ankle injuries? I ask as someone who still has Achilles issues from overuse issues due to running, getting back into things too fast,  psoriatic arthritis, and ignoring strength training. Achilles tendinitis/tendinosis are both made more likely by running on inclines. 

14 minutes ago, Jean said:

Sure, but these are mountain races I can't really well walk my way on the incline and run only when it's flat. I want to at least give a good shot at interval running, alterning running and walking on the way up. For me, it's a matter of proving to myself that I can train and get better at something and stick to it so, the date is set and it's on me, now. I'll have to train on more incline runs, next challenge. We'll see if I can stick to running everyday this week first.

In any case, most races celebrate finishing even if you have to walk some or even most of it. Not that you’re training to walk it, just remember during the competition if you think injury or heat exhaustion or something is starting up. 

Then again, my issues have usually been pushing myself too hard instead of backing off too early. Don’t let me scare you off of finding your limits either or into accepting mediocrity either!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

Maybe I’ll cross post my upcoming vacation event. We’re taking a cross-country road trip with 1-2 hikes a day for 11-13 days coming up in a few weeks. 

I used to run run a lot, and I miss it. I had to quit due to arthritis that flares when I run. It can be pretty hard on the joints. But it was great to get it the flow. And when I was a kid it kept my lab dog from turning into a sausage. 

Yes, please cross-post if you can. It would be great to hear about your hiking adventures!

Sorry about the arthritis. I've been lucky with joint issues so far. I think partly genetics and partly that I run a lot of my miles on trails (softer).

...and @Jean, sorry about the "thread-jacking"

• Like 2