• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jean

Shape of the Cheetah

3 hours ago, Jean said:

I want to at least give a good shot at interval running, alterning running and walking on the way up. For me, it's a matter of proving to myself that I can train and get better at something and stick to it so, the date is set and it's on me, now. I'll have to train on more incline runs, next challenge. We'll see if I can stick to running everyday this week first.

Sounds great to challenge yourself! I think your approach is smart, building consistency and stamina before throwing in too many hills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Yes, please cross-post if you can. It would be great to hear about your hiking adventures!

I think I will then. They’ll be short hikes since we’re traveling with little adventurers. But we just revamped the schedule and we’re planning to be at the Grand Canyon on July 4th. So that should be pretty epic. 

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Sorry about the arthritis. I've been lucky with joint issues so far. I think partly genetics and partly that I run a lot of my miles on trails (softer).

C’est la vie. Mine is substantially genetic, and trails are better than concrete. I know my Achilles issues stemmed from concrete overuse, although I read a meta-study today identifying 8-9 major risk factors. Hills were a big one. 

Funny thing, running killed me knees but not my Achilles. Walking is what does that. 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2019 at 10:40 PM, Sciread77 said:

Always glad to support. And I apologize if I come across as nosy; you can always tell me to back off.

No nosiness felt, it's nice to have you here and I'm always searching for advice. Speaking of which, I'm not particularly worried about my joints just now (because, let's face it, I'm not really running that much) but since it may become an issue in the future, any recommandations for it (equipment/techniques)?

I've also read that rest days are also encouraged for running. I was going with the assumption that our bodies should be able to run on demand because you can't know when a predator will push you to flee and it can happen daily. Should I plan for rest days going forward (running only one in two days)? Will it only become important when I'll start adding more effort into it (more distance and incline runs)?

On 6/18/2019 at 1:49 AM, Xena said:

...and @Jean, sorry about the "thread-jacking"

No harm done, the important thing is that we enjoy ourselves. Don't hesitate to keep sharing news. ;)

On 6/17/2019 at 10:40 PM, Sciread77 said:

Then again, my issues have usually been pushing myself too hard instead of backing off too early.

When it comes to exercise, I tend to have the opposite issue so I try to leave any complexity (like caring for my health) out of it, which is practical but not optimal so thanks for stopping by and showing your concern, it shows to me that yes, I should still care about some of those things and it gives me an easy way to get insight on those issues (that I'd never research on my own at this point).

Tuesday, June 18th: Ran for 12 minutes.

• Like 2

Your body will tell you how much rest you need.  I’m no longer a runner, but I used a three day split - Hill day, long day, rest day - except when I just ran medium all the time, then I’d randomly take a couple of days off per week.  Right now, with biking, I’m doing all medium all the time.  It’s not the best for progress, but it’s the easiest to manage.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Your body will tell you how much rest you need.

^^ True.

Different things work for different people, and it might take a while to figure out. It seems like right now, you are really working hard to build a habit and consistency. If running every day helps you to keep a routine, I think it's ok (I run 5-6 days a week), but it would be good to mix some easy days in with some harder days. For example, I do my long runs on Sunday. Monday really "should" be a rest day, but I've found that if I take a rest day on Monday, it makes it hard for me to stay on track the rest of the week. Instead of a full rest day, I do a very easy 2 miles, just to keep up the routine.

I don't have a sense for how hard you are running...12 minutes is a pretty short time, but I know it could be a max effort if you are running very hard. I'm not saying it's too short, just that if you aren't running super hard, that might not be long enough to beat up your body very much (and need rest days).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the advantage of really learning to run in high school track under a fantastic coach. I was a big guy that absolutely nobody thought could successfully compete in track, and before my junior year I didn’t run. I learned a lot about technique and we alternated long run days with interval training. Coach always knew how hard to push you. She could make you feel like you were going to die without pushing you too hard and a learned a lot about my limits from her. 

I learned to meticulously track details. Long run days were just about running/jogging for X time, starting with 20 minutes and building up to an hour. We did that 3 days a week with intervals two days a week until we got to an hour on long runs and then we were allowed 3 days a week of intervals. I got to the point that I ran on a hilly golf course for my long days. I almost always took a day a week for just physical rest with light activity. The biggest thing is to listen to your body. Pain is not normal when you run, and it’s different from feeling regular soreness. 

Are you tracking distance on your training? At the height of my running my best tools were a stopwatch, a heart rate monitor, a map, and a track. How long is the race you’re training for?  Optimally, you’ll be training at 70-80% with some 90% bursts.  With experience you’ll probably be pretty good at estimating performance.  Do you have access to any terrain that mimics the race itself? If so that could help you a lot. Flat ground and hills are quite different. 

Another thing to remember is that the cardiovascular system doesn’t do it’s best adaptation until you are running at cardio level heart rates for at least 20 minutes. You’ll see progress for 5-10 minutes at a time, especially if you haven’t been running, but you do have to just put in some time to build things up. 

How long is your race? Do you have a time to completion goal? Is there a website?

• Thanks 1

I'm definitely not killing myself with my current amount of running, focusing instead on it being resourcing and enjoyable. My legs are feeling it, still, so I guess I'll give them some rest whenever I'm feeling like they need it.

Consistency is indeed my current focus. I want to build healthy habits that'll help me have a life outside of work. The event challenge thing is mostly because I like one of those races and I know the worst I'm risking is walking up in something like a half-decent time so, no real shame there (I'd not be the only one walking my way to the top). I'll still give myself some time to decide whether or not registering is really a good idea.

As for the races, the websites are in French :
Ovronnaz - Cabane Rambert (8.4 km - 1350 m ascending elevation / 5.2 mi - 0.84 mi): https://www.ovronnaz-rambert.ch/
La grimpette des Bédjuis (6.3 km - 960 m ascending elevation / 3.9 mi - 0.60 mi): http://www.grimpette.ch/index.php
Fully - Sorniot (7.95 km - 1600 m ascending elevation / 4.9 mi - 1.00 mi): https://www.fullysorniot.ch/fully-sorniot/

They state the time of the participants of the last year (link to the pdf), so that sets a good estimate of what time I should be able to complete them in in order not to be akwardly behind everybody. Looking at it, a 5h total looks like a decent mark for a first time. I'm thinking of trying the trails on hiking mode, one per weekend in the next weeks, just to get a feel of what they really are like, then decide on a training regimen to get me there and/or if training for it doesn't look enjoyable enough to carry me through Summer (in which case, I'll just run for fun without setting any real goal behind it).

It's pretty mountainy around here, so I can train on both flat and incline trails without trouble.

Some vids to show you a bit better what it's like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj61ulMPZNU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF0wik8CiQQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDXnuG4gA4 (it's pretty rare for it to be snowy at the top)

Wednesday, June 19th: Ran for 12 minutes.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

My French is even worse than my English; are you in Switzerland? Those races are gorgeous.

Seconded on the location.  J'ai famille en Besançon.  

1 hour ago, Jean said:

I'm definitely not killing myself with my current amount of running, focusing instead on it being resourcing and enjoyable. My legs are feeling it, still, so I guess I'll give them some rest whenever I'm feeling like they need it.

Consistency is indeed my current focus. I want to build healthy habits that'll help me have a life outside of work. The event challenge thing is mostly because I like one of those races and I know the worst I'm risking is walking up in something like a half-decent time so, no real shame there (I'd not be the only one walking my way to the top). I'll still give myself some time to decide whether or not registering is really a good idea.

As for the races, the websites are in French :
Ovronnaz - Cabane Rambert (8.4 km - 1350 m ascending elevation / 5.2 mi - 0.84 mi): https://www.ovronnaz-rambert.ch/
La grimpette des Bédjuis (6.3 km - 960 m ascending elevation / 3.9 mi - 0.60 mi): http://www.grimpette.ch/index.php
Fully - Sorniot (7.95 km - 1600 m ascending elevation / 4.9 mi - 1.00 mi): https://www.fullysorniot.ch/fully-sorniot/

They state the time of the participants of the last year (link to the pdf), so that sets a good estimate of what time I should be able to complete them in in order not to be akwardly behind everybody. Looking at it, a 5h total looks like a decent mark for a first time. I'm thinking of trying the trails on hiking mode, one per weekend in the next weeks, just to get a feel of what they really are like, then decide on a training regimen to get me there and/or if training for it doesn't look enjoyable enough to carry me through Summer (in which case, I'll just run for fun without setting any real goal behind it).

It's pretty mountainy around here, so I can train on both flat and incline trails without trouble.

Some vids to show you a bit better what it's like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj61ulMPZNU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF0wik8CiQQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhDXnuG4gA4 (it's pretty rare for it to be snowy at the top)

Wednesday, June 19th: Ran for 12 minutes.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be doing both long runs and pace work on similar ground.  If nothing else, be sure you're good to consistently jog over that time/distance.  Build your long runs up.  I'd think 2 1/2 months would be time enough to do it. Just beware that running 1-2 km at a time is a far cry from the whole 8.4 km at once, though those runs are quite useful if you run them for pacing and in intervals.   My main event was the mile and even in my best shape I trained differently for the longer ones.  I can tell you that getting too far past that brings a different level of blistering issues and calf exhaustion.  I once ran a half-marathon over hills without additional training and while I finished and did well, my calf locked up when I was done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jean said:

Consistency is indeed my current focus. I want to build healthy habits that'll help me have a life outside of work.

Yep, we could give you all kinds of advice about programming and training, but you have a very solid view of your own goal for now. I think it's great to keep doing what you are doing. If and when you want advice about building up, we can help.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 7:02 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

My French is even worse than my English; are you in Switzerland? Those races are gorgeous.

Judging by what I read of your English, your French can be anywhere between stellar and whatever. ;) The southern part of Switzerland, yes (Valais/Wallis). Can't say I'm complaining when I'm watching the sun rising atop the mountains with my coffee in the morning. :)

On 6/19/2019 at 7:59 PM, Sciread77 said:

Just beware that running 1-2 km at a time is a far cry from the whole 8.4 km at once

That's for sure but, if I'm being honest, I don't think I'll run the whole 8.4 km. I'll probably be focusing on walking quickly on the incline and running whenever it's flat or declining. It doesn't mean I can't train for it, though, and I'm working on a program to get me working on incline running without putting too much of a time constraint on my days (which would be the #1 reason for me to drop it half-way). More in my next challenge (though you should not expect a revolution, I'm still focusing on short and enjoyable).

On 6/20/2019 at 12:11 AM, Xena said:

If and when you want advice about building up, we can help.

Thanks, it's nice to have people with experience on hand in case I develop some real taste for it and need to know if the corresponding aching means I'll have to have my legs cut or is just a normal thing. ^^

Thursday, June 20th: Ran for 12 minutes.

Friday, June 21th: Ran for 12 minutes.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jean said:

if the corresponding aching means I'll have to have my legs cut

well, I'm not a medical doctor, but that could be a bit extreme. I guess if you feel like the guy in the middle, you could probably keep going, but if you feel like the guy on the right, you should probably take a rest day.

image.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xena said:

well, I'm not a medical doctor, but that could be a bit extreme. I guess if you feel like the guy in the middle, you could probably keep going, but if you feel like the guy on the right, you should probably take a rest day.

image.png

Seconded. Also, ice helps. If it’s DOMS, it sucks but it passes after a couple of days. 

• Like 2

Saturday, June 22nd: Ran for 12 minutes.

Sunday, June 23rd: Ran for 12 minutes.

All in all, this challenge has shown that I both can stick to some consistency and am very vulnerable to empty batteries/life getting in the way. It's also nice to see that I'm better at sticking to running than to strength training while the weighted bracers still allow for some small arms training. Next time, I'll work on increasing my running ability while still trying to preserve myself, so I'll back off back to something slow like these sustainable 12 minutes whenever I'm feeling like the bullshit around me reaches critical levels.

Thanks all to have been around for the run. Hope to see you again next time. :)

tenor.gif?itemid=9878731

• Like 3