Elastigirl :The Joy Continues

inside_out_joy_tablet.jpg

Last challenge, my big goals were to lose weight, but not be miserable doing it. I did this through tracking my food, but also eating mindfully. Paying attention to my hunger cues, slowing down before I eat, and saying a prayer of thanks for my food, eating my food slowly, mostly eating nutrient rich foods while also giving myself permission  to enjoy other foods.

This challenge, I am still undecided what  my calorie goals are going to be.I'm not sure whether  I will continue in a deficit or go back to maintenance. I do eventually want to lose a bit more, but I may take a break, or not. Either way,  I want to continue the mindful habits. I don't want these to be goals that I hit every day, and worry about tracking them, just sort of checking in , and reminding myself  of their importance, and what I want to strive for.

Prayer before meals

Eat slow, think about how the food tastes, finish chewing before I take another bite, if I'm eating with others enjoy the conversation

Use MFP as a tool to help  my goals

Eat foods that nourish me and make me feel good

Treats I have, enjoy them  let them bring me joy

Pay attention to my hunger cues

When Eating out, keep within my goals ( exception my birthday!) 

I will of course keep working out. I am finishing up my kettlebell program, still working on my crow, going geocaching, lots of walks. Not sure what I'm doing after I finish the Kbs. Maybe rings.

I am also working on my 12 weeks goals, in the PVP here. Love to have more people join .https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/113813-gotta-catch-em-all12-week-challenge-may-27-august-17/

• Like 15

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

This challenge, I am still undecided what  my calorie goals are going to be.I'm not sure whether  I will continue in a deficit or go back to maintenance. I do eventually want to lose a bit more, but I may take a break, or not.

That is where I’m at too. I think I need to build some muscle and then shed a little weight. And sometimes I just need to enjoy maintenance eating for awhile. 

Looking forward to following you once again!  Maybe you KB workouts will inspire me get swinging again. 

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Love the mindful approach! I know I can use more of that instead of behaving like a hungry wolf.
I do need to lose some weight, so it is definitely something useful to do. Being mindful while eating.

How's that crow hanging? I've been trying it but still got far to go. I need to tweak the pose, some half baby crow -half crow, or something like that.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

My own page!  // Instagram

On 5/25/2019 at 5:08 AM, Lightning said:

That is where I’m at too. I think I need to build some muscle and then shed a little weight. And sometimes I just need to enjoy maintenance eating for awhile. 

Looking forward to following you once again!  Maybe you KB workouts will inspire me get swinging again. 

Glad to have you back. KB  swinging is awesome .

On 5/26/2019 at 4:28 AM, NightWatcher13 said:

Sometimes taking a break when you've made some progress can make future progress easier, so taking a bit of time in maintenance mode might be a good idea :) also, yay for spreading Joy!
628f994a2e59109eba3a09e991a07352.gif
5af9ec6024c33f207cc6a19ed88bed95.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I am planning to take a break. Just sort of undecided about when. I think I will be in a bit of a deficit this week, and then next week do maintenance mode for June

15 hours ago, Xena said:

Cool idea about the 12 week PvP!

Thanks, this is or second one. I found the first pretty fun and motivating

14 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Following! I really like the 12 week challenge idea! I'll check it out when I'm on my laptop and not my phone.

Yes, join us!

2 hours ago, jcmgm said:

Love the mindful approach! I know I can use more of that instead of behaving like a hungry wolf.
I do need to lose some weight, so it is definitely something useful to do. Being mindful while eating.

How's that crow hanging? I've been trying it but still got far to go. I need to tweak the pose, some half baby crow -half crow, or something like that.

Hungry wolf:biggrin-new: I can definitely act like that at times. My crow is improving. I can actually hold for about 10 seconds now.  You could just keep one toe down,  that helped me. Or both toes down, but where they are just barely touching, and you are working on the balance point. 

8 hours ago, Guzzi said:

Following! :D 

Hi there!

• Like 3

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Woohoo, Week 1.

This weekend was fun. Hubby finished cleaning out the garage Saturday. The only thing we have left to do  is a dump run, and  trip to the Haz Mat dump, and our garage is completely clean. It looks amazing. Remember how daunted I was by this task? It seemed so huge. But, I just took it week by week and now it is done.  Then Saturday we had friends over for game night. Since we were busy with the garage, we just did Costco roast chicken and salad. Played a new card game that was fun , Flux. Very hard to describe, but  great fun. Then Sunday was church.After church we met with or church small group. I made crockpot pulled pork and we had pork sandwiches and salad (no bun for me) .Then after that was our church dancing lesson. So , Sunday was busy, but good.

Today it is Memorial day, and hubby has the day off. We slept in, and then we are going geocaching.

I've decided I'm going to eat in a deficit this week.I'd like to be at  solid 119 pounds. My goal had been 118, but since my belly measurement is the same now at 119.6, as it was at 118, I figure most of that difference is muscle(Yay) 

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Played a new card game that was fun , Flux. Very hard to describe, but  great fun.

Fluxx can be much fun.  Congrats on improving the crow pose!

• Like 1

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack

On 5/27/2019 at 11:54 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Nice!

Thanks

21 hours ago, NightWatcher13 said:

Woot, muscle gains are a great feeling! And I love Flux, I have the Cthulu version :) 

There are so many variations. My husband wants to get the Firefly edition.

2 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Wow, great!

image.png.4b7039acc91745945a8d7c4f87cab72e.png

Thanks. I agree with the  quote too, joy is something yo have to work at to grow, and make sure you pull out the weeds that threaten to choke it out!

1 hour ago, Moros said:

Fluxx can be much fun.  Congrats on improving the crow pose!

Thanks. Seems like  a game people have heard of before, I had never heard of it.

• Like 1

Mr Incredible had the day off yesterday, and it was a gorgeous sunny day, so we went geocaching. We parked near where we thought the trailhead was and set out. There was sort of a deer trail, meaning a narrow trail, but we were wading through the grass. We turned around and tried another way that at first seemed more of a trail, but it soon disappeared. My allergies were bothering me even before we went on the trail, and the grass was starting to bother me, so we decided to abandon this trail and drive to another trail head. It was part of the same trail system, just from a different location. We drove around and found a place to park. This trail was in the woods, so a lot more allergy friendly. It was a pretty hike. However, it was super steep. It was not so muddy that your feet sank in the mud, but it was muddy enough that it was slick, and hard to get a grip with your feet. There was one spot on the trail, where it looked like much of the trail had washed away, so it was almost straight up, and there wasn't anything to hold on to help you get up. We found two caches. Two were did not finds. The person who hides the cache also often put on the cache description a hint if you want it. The hints for one cache was tree, and the other log. We were in the forest, surrounded by trees and logs, so pretty much this wasn't a hint. I hate it when hints are like that. Or the opposite when they tell you exactly what it is. Some people don't get the word hint. We hiked about a mile and a half, but decided that was far enough. We had planned to go further, but we were tired of the steep and slick, and wanted energy to go back down, because that can be even harder. SO we turned around. We actually found a better trail going down that wasn't near as steep or treacherous feeling.  I  still wanted to spend some time outdoors so we headed to the nearby waterfront. Being a holiday, the beach was super crowded, and the parking lot was full. I suggested we park a ways away since we still really wanted more walking in anyway. So we parked up the hill a couple of blocks away. Then we went and sat on the beach and people  and boat watched, and enjoyed the sunshine. Then we went for a short walk on the beach. Then we talked about whether to go out to eat or not. We decided to go home and eat a small dinner of leftovers, and then have some ice cream for a treat. 

Goal wise- I didn't lose any weight last week. Not a surprise. I set my calorie deficit to lose a half a pound, but then several days I ate more at maintenance (like yesterday) My will power is flagging though. I am going to try and lose a half a pound this week. After that I am going back to maintenance either  way. If I lose it, then I met my goal, and I'm ready to maintain, if I don't then I just need the mental break. You'd think it would be easy to keep at it when you are so close to your goal, but sometimes I'm more like meh, I'm close enough it doesn't matter that it is hard to motivate myself. All of this rambling does not negate the  fact that I worked hard the last couple of months, and I have lost fat and maintained muscle. so I am happy

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

You'd think it would be easy to keep at it when you are so close to your goal, but sometimes I'm more like meh, I'm close enough it doesn't matter that it is hard to motivate myself.

EXACTLY! Last time I was doing this, I got close to my "goal" and then just hovered close but never there. There is something to be said for "Meh, this is good enough" actually being enough. I'm not there yet, so motivation is still high, but I remember it way back when I was in better shape.

• Like 1

Half Ogre Ranger

Devourer of Pastries

On 5/28/2019 at 3:23 PM, GoodDoug said:

EXACTLY! Last time I was doing this, I got close to my "goal" and then just hovered close but never there. There is something to be said for "Meh, this is good enough" actually being enough. I'm not there yet, so motivation is still high, but I remember it way back when I was in better shape.

Yep. It is  motivating to hit your goals , but then again, good enough is fine too

• Like 2

Goal wise- I didn't lose any weight last week. Not a surprise. I set my calorie deficit to lose a half a pound, but then several days I ate more at maintenance (like yesterday) My will power is flagging though. I am going to try and lose a half a pound this week. After that I am going back to maintenance either  way. If I lose it, then I met my goal, and I'm ready to maintain, if I don't then I just need the mental break. You'd think it would be easy to keep at it when you are so close to your goal, but sometimes I'm more like meh, I'm close enough it doesn't matter that it is hard to motivate myself. All of this rambling does not negate the  fact that I worked hard the last couple of months, and I have lost fat and maintained muscle. so I am happy

SAME! I hit a goal and took a break and now I'm trying to lose 4 more pounds for my "final" goal.  It's hard to get motivated when I really don't NEED to lose the weight. 

You look great and that crow pose is no joke! You definitely have reasons to be proud and happy.

•  
  • Like 1

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

On 5/30/2019 at 12:13 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Nice! Both the crow and the singing :D

Thanks

On 5/30/2019 at 6:44 AM, Lightning said:

SAME! I hit a goal and took a break and now I'm trying to lose 4 more pounds for my "final" goal.  It's hard to get motivated when I really don't NEED to lose the weight. 

You look great and that crow pose is no joke! You definitely have reasons to be proud and happy.

•  

Thanks. Yes, after a break, I would still like to lose a bit more weight. Health wise my weight is fine. But a little less weight will give me some room if I want to eat a bit over maintenance. 

• Like 1

Tonight we are using a gift certificate and going out to eat at a fancy restaurant to celebrate PAYING OFF OUR HOUSE! That's right , we are totally 100% debt free!!!! SInce this is a goal we've been working on for 10 years, I am going to eat whatever I want. Today I will eat a little bit lighter (plus that makes more room for steak!) 

I don't talk much about my budget goals, but like I said this is something we've been working on for about 10 years. Before that, we were like most Americans. We lived pay check to paycheck. If an emergency (read anything unplanned- ie life) happened we used our credit cards. We weren't  much in debt, just  bit, and we had a car loan. We decided to follow the Dave Ramsey Budget plan. He has specific thing to work on. First up is a $1,000 in the bank and paying off all your debts. We mega focused on that. Then you work on building up a saving account and retirement, we did the saving account and are working on the retirement. We've also been working on paying off  the house. Bonus's, extra money, etc hs all gone to paying off our house. And today we made the final payment!

To me, staying on a budget was the first step to becoming healthier. Like I said, we weren't horribly in debt. We were paying for our son's college, we had a car loan, and a small credit bill.  But we realized that wasn't how we wanted to live. Dave Ramsey has a saying, "If you will live like no one else, later, you can live like no one else" To me, that meant that most people just live day to day, without looking ahead to the future. So busy plodding along each day, that  they never looked up to see if they were actually heading in the direction they wanted to go. When we first started saving, it seemed so daunting. I had no idea how we cold manage to say $1,000 , much less 6 months worth of saving. But, we set up a budget (lots of  struggle at first) and stuck to it. We followed the plan with "gazelle intensity", and it was working. Meanwhile, my health wasn't horrible either, I was a pretty typical middle age gal. Slightly overweight, had trouble sitting on the floor and getting up, complaining of my aches and pains. I realized I was living like everyone else. And I started looking at where people who lived the typical sedentary lives were at, and I decided I didn't like the direction I was headed. I wanted to live like no one else, so that when I was older I could live like no one else. I knew what helped me on the Dave Ramsey plan was having  a set plan in place that I could just follow. I also knew that if I was going to workout , I wanted it to be fun. So, I started googling, and ended up finding the Nerd Fitness blog. So, to me, the budget, and health is all just part of the same picture. The focus being that I need to live my life with intention. The older I get , the faster time goes by, and I realize that unless I purposely set a course of action, I will just end up drifting along aimlessly, never really accomplishing anything. 

And I am very thankful for this place. It has helped me to write out my goals, and to really work on them. And the people here are all so special, thank you all, for all your encouragement !

• Like 10

That is so awesome! I am very happy for both of you. I'm familiar with Dave Ramsey series as well and when people follow them it very rarely goes badly. I'm proud of both of you for your focus and hard work. Now go out there and build wealth. Enjoy that dinner!

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath