Elastigirl :The Joy Continues

Elastigirl

Random news:

I keep forgetting to talk about the book I read and enjoyed "The Elephant Whisperer' It was about a guy who owned a game preserve in South Africa. He took in a herd of elephants that were going to be killed because they kept escaping the preserve where they were at. He  tells all the stories of getting the elephants to like their new home, and  about the other animals on the preserve. It was fun reading about South Africa and it made me think of @ElizeElvinFoxRyder

Now I am re -reading the The Lord of the Rings Trilogy. It's been way too long since I read it. I had forgotten what a good writer Tolkien was, and what an amazing story.

DId  some kettlebell deadlift work today, some crow practice,and then went for a walk wearing my weighted vest. Also worked on decluttering. Went through a box of mementos I had saved. Got rid of a bunch of stuff my mom had saved that I had done when I was a kid. I did keep a couple of papers. I had also saved a  bunch of programs from shows I went to. I dumped those. Found a funny card my mom had sent me , saved that, because it showed her sense of humor. I now just have a handful of items  rather than a  whole box.

• Like 7

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I have an actual printed copy of that book. I loved it. The author has unfortunately died, and I can't remember whether it was stated as an added piece in the book, or on a blog, but that particular group of elephants was lead by their matriarch the morning of his funeral (under correction - but it was around the time of his death), to the house/office and they showed their respects. Elephants are amazing animals. Lawrence Anthony (the game ranger/conservationist) was an amazing man. I still want to buy this book of his, Babylon's Ark, but I just know I'm going to be crying so hard.

When the Iraq war began, conservationist Lawrence Anthony could think of only one thing: the fate of the Baghdad Zoo, located in the city center and caught in the war's crossfire. Once Anthony entered Baghdad he discovered that full-scale combat and uncontrolled looting had killed nearly all the animals of the zoo.
But not all of them. U.S. soldiers had taken the time to help care for the remaining animals, and the zoo's staff had returned to work in spite of the constant firefights. Together the Americans and Iraqis had managed to keep alive the animals that had survived the invasion.

If you like a funny, lighter side of dealing with animals on a game farm/game reserve, you have to try Peter Allison's "Whatever you do, don't run!"

• Like 3

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Stormie Omartian

"A wife's prayers for her husband has a far greater effect on him than anyone else's, even his mother's."

Grin. I decided to join in the Crow pose fun and well... I did manage to get both feet off the ground for a milisecond^^

Then decided to see how far I could back myself against the wall for handstand practice, so I just backed, and backed... Until I tried to get out of it then it was uh a how do I get out of it. Should've read the nerd fitness guide to handstands before trying, but I suppose that's what you get when you dumped wis =P

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Grin. I decided to join in the Crow pose fun and well... I did manage to get both feet off the ground for a milisecond^^

Then decided to see how far I could back myself against the wall for handstand practice, so I just backed, and backed... Until I tried to get out of it then it was uh a how do I get out of it. Should've read the nerd fitness guide to handstands before trying, but I suppose that's what you get when you dumped wis =P

Congrats on the millisecond hold. Keep at it , and it will get longer. Way to go at getting into a handstand too, even if you didn't know how to bail:friendly_wink:

13 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

I have an actual printed copy of that book. I loved it. The author has unfortunately died, and I can't remember whether it was stated as an added piece in the book, or on a blog, but that particular group of elephants was lead by their matriarch the morning of his funeral (under correction - but it was around the time of his death), to the house/office and they showed their respects. Elephants are amazing animals. Lawrence Anthony (the game ranger/conservationist) was an amazing man. I still want to buy this book of his, Babylon's Ark, but I just know I'm going to be crying so hard.

If you like a funny, lighter side of dealing with animals on a game farm/game reserve, you have to try Peter Allison's "Whatever you do, don't run!"

How sad to hear the author died. He was only 61.  I loved his relationship with the elephants. While he was alive they started coming to his hose to visit. And after he came back from being out of town, they would come and greet him. I agree Babylon's Ark sounds like a good book, but really sad.

• Like 2

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 6/7/2019 at 9:48 PM, Elastigirl said:

How sad to hear the author died. He was only 61.

Yes, died of a heart attack in 2012 at age 61yrs.

We have some amazing game rangers who are trying their best to look after South Africa's animals and wild game farms/reserves. Poaching and canned hunting, is a huge problem, which impacts their work tremendously.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Stormie Omartian

"A wife's prayers for her husband has a far greater effect on him than anyone else's, even his mother's."

On 6/7/2019 at 2:41 AM, Mortimer said:

I tried joining as well.  Ended up just doing the tripod pose and keeping my head on the floor.  I was too afraid to smash my face into the ground!  I'll stick to watching Elastigirl for now. 

• Like 1

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

On 6/8/2019 at 11:57 PM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Yes, died of a heart attack in 2012 at age 61yrs.

We have some amazing game rangers who are trying their best to look after South Africa's animals and wild game farms/reserves. Poaching and canned hunting, is a huge problem, which impacts their work tremendously.

I knew there was a poaching problem, but  reading about it in the book made it more real and intense.

On 6/9/2019 at 7:35 AM, Lightning said:

I tried joining as well.  Ended up just doing the tripod pose and keeping my head on the floor.  I was too afraid to smash my face into the ground!  I'll stick to watching Elastigirl for now. 

The tripod pose is a good pose . I put a pillow on the floor to protect my face from smashing accidents

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great weekend. Had friends over for barbecued chicken sandwiches and game night. Played Flux again and also Hogwarts , expanded edition with Creatures. We'd played it before and lost. This time we won (though it was pretty touch and go for a while)

Sunday we had regular church in the morning , and then a Pentecost Potluck Feast in the evening. People bring food representing countries all over the world. I usually eat at the gluten free/ dairy free table, but we still had lots of options. Plus, people labelled whether food had gluten or dairy, so I was able to sample some stuff. And I had strawberry shortcake for dessert, which was amazing. I made Charmoula roasted vegetables,  recipe from my Mediterranean Paleo Cookbook. Olive oil, a bunch of chopped cilantro, salt, cayenne pepper, and cumin. Stick the spices and cilantro, oil, lemon juice in the food processer and puree. Then pour it over potatoes, turnips, carrots, and celery. Roast at 375 for 30 minutes. It was really good, and different. It also called for Fennel , but I skipped that , because it is a pretty strong flavor, and some people don't like it

• Like 3

I should try that one of those days though my mom would complain that celery lowers blood pressure so with my already low blood pressure(94/60 anyone?) , I'm not allowed to have any. What would you suggest for celery and potato substitutes? I could try daikon radishes for potatoes I suppose. 

Week 2:

I started decluttering or under the stairs storage. Went though a big box of storage o mementos. Whittled it down to just a few treasures, and found a place for them.

Used MFP during the week. On the weekend I didn't,  but I still was pretty wise. Saturday for breakfast and lunch I ate a sensible meal so that I could enjoy a bigger dinner and treat at game night. Sunday I did the same thing since we had the Potluck feast. At the feast, I ate until I was overfull,   but it's a once a year event, and I  enjoyed it. And after we ate, we danced, so it worked out

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

I should try that one of those days though my mom would complain that celery lowers blood pressure so with my already low blood pressure(94/60 anyone?) , I'm not allowed to have any. What would you suggest for celery and potato substitutes? I could try daikon radishes for potatoes I suppose. 

The recipe actually called for turnips instead of potatoes, but I did half potatoes , half turnips. Rutabagas are really good roasted too. I don't think some celery is going to lower your blood pressure. At one point, I had borderline hypertension, and  I looked into how much celery you need to eat to lower your blood pressure. It was something like 12 stalks a day:confused-new: I bet zucchini would taste good with that recipe.

14 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

At one point, I had borderline hypertension, and  I looked into how much celery you need to eat to lower your blood pressure.

Chances are you've already heard this, but hibiscus tea has been shown to be as effective as most medicines at reducing hypertension.

And that recipe sounds awesome! If I could get my family to eat parsnips, turnips and rutabagas I would eat them every day. As it is, I have a hard enough time getting them to eat cooked carrots...

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

On 5/31/2019 at 2:20 PM, Elastigirl said:

Tonight we are using a gift certificate and going out to eat at a fancy restaurant to celebrate PAYING OFF OUR HOUSE! That's right , we are totally 100% debt free!!!! SInce this is a goal we've been working on for 10 years, I am going to eat whatever I want. Today I will eat a little bit lighter (plus that makes more room for steak!)

I didn't realize how far behind I had gotten on your thread. This is amazing! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story.

23 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Pentecost Potluck Feast in the evening. People bring food representing countries all over the world.

I hadn't heard of this idea for Pentecost (I've been away from organized religion for a long time), but it's really appropriate and cool!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

10 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Chances are you've already heard this, but hibiscus tea has been shown to be as effective as most medicines at reducing hypertension.

And that recipe sounds awesome! If I could get my family to eat parsnips, turnips and rutabagas I would eat them every day. As it is, I have a hard enough time getting them to eat cooked carrots...

Thanks. Trying hibiscs tea was when I discovered it bothers my sinuses  The other problem is that in order to have an effect you need to drink 6 cups a day, which gets old pretty fast. I take supplements of magnesim and L-theanine which seem to help. L-theanine is in found in green tea, but the same thing is true. In order for it to help you have to drink a huge amount.

My husband is a very non picky eater. I'm not sure what the people I fixed the food for thought. 

2 hours ago, Xena said:

I didn't realize how far behind I had gotten on your thread. This is amazing! Congratulations and thanks for sharing your story.

I hadn't heard of this idea for Pentecost (I've been away from organized religion for a long time), but it's really appropriate and cool!

Thanks.

I thought it was a pretty cool idea. We also do  dancing, with music from around the world

• Like 4

Yesterday's decluttering included going through all our Christmas lights and checking to see if they worked. They did. And we have  about 20 strings of them.  We have a few strands we put up over our garage (where the roof is lower) and on our porch railing. And we like to do a few downstairs. But we have way more than we use. So, I am going to Goodwill a  bunch of them. 

Did a leg workout yesterday and some crow practice. Leg workout was goblet squats  and jump squats. Then a walk. Also a walk in the evening. Mr Incredible signed up for a challenge at work to see which group could get the most points, so he is super motivated to walk. Then  in the evening I did some yardwork. Oh, and I it a gorgeous sunny day, so I sat out on our back deck and worked on my Vitamin D supplementation.:smile-new:

• Like 3

On 6/6/2019 at 9:06 PM, Elastigirl said:

Also worked on decluttering. Went through a box of mementos I had saved. Got rid of a bunch of stuff my mom had saved that I had done when I was a kid. I did keep a couple of papers. I had also saved a  bunch of programs from shows I went to. I dumped those. Found a funny card my mom had sent me , saved that, because it showed her sense of humor. I now just have a handful of items  rather than a  whole box.

Great job!! I'm still working on decluttering stuff that my mom had saved, and the too many boxes of stuff that we saved from our daughter's childhood.  

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

On 6/15/2019 at 1:55 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Great job!! I'm still working on decluttering stuff that my mom had saved, and the too many boxes of stuff that we saved from our daughter's childhood.  

Thanks.By the time you have all the stuff from your kid's childhood, and your parent's stuff, you just end up with so much stuff. I needed to wait several  years, to have a bit of distance, and not have every single item still be so sentimental to me.

• Like 1

Well let's see:

Saturday was my birthday. I had a glorious day, and no MFP tracking. Hmm, let's actually start with Friday

Friday: Friends came over for prayer, and then we went out to lunch at MOD pizza. I had a gluten free , fake cheese pizza, with tons of toppings, and enjoyed it (as well as the time with friends) I had a light breakfast, but decided not to track today. Came home after pizza and didn't have time to do both a workout and walk, so I opted for a bit longer workout than normal .Then I did a few household tasks, and then went to y niece's high school graduation. Had Jimmy Johns Unwich for dinner (lettuce wrapped sandwiches) It was sweet, and I was honored that she wanted us to be there. That night, trying to get to sleep, my throat was really bothering me. I had a really hard time winding down and getting to sleep, and then woke up about 4 am and couldn't really get back to sleep. My throat was very tickly. It felt like an allergic reaction. It could have been something else, but I wonder if it was from the pizza. It is gluten free, but the cook it in the same oven as the regular pizza, and use the same turning paddle. Which makes me kind of grumpy that I can't have even the gluten free pizza without feeling sick.I gave the leftover pieces to hubby to have for his lunch, as I didn't want to push it the day before my birthday. The upside is, I am going to wait until after allergy season is over, and then try again- so I have  reason to eat the pizza. But I really hope I'm not that sensitive to gluten.

Saturday- Went on a morning walk with Mr. Incredible, and did some crow practice. Had a light lunch, then went to y niece's graduation party. It was nice, and fun to meet some of her friends. I had some tortilla chips. Then we went to  this very fabulous Putt- Putt course. It is up on this hill, and so you have an awesome view. I could see Seattle, and Bellevue, and Puget Sound. It was a perfect day. Sunny, but with a nice breeze. We have the best weather. I went with my son and husband. I suck at Putt _putt, , and both my son and husband are much more athletic than I am *  so I lost, even with my husband;'s generous birthday scoring for me. But, I still had fun. Then we went out to dinner,. I had gluten free fish and chips, which makes me super happy. For gifts, I received the cutest fence post for my fairy garden, and this tiny sleeping dragon that looks so sweet in y flower garden.  I had two pieces of chocolate cake. And my son said that for our trip to Disneyworld in December he was going to take us out to a super fancy restaurant. I'll link it later.

Sunday Father's day- Went out to burgers . I had a lettuce wrapped chicken burger and salad and then a dairy free milk shake.  So good. If you remember before, this was a chain of the same restaurant before that said the milkshake was dairy free- and then when I was halfway done said ooops. But that place was a fastfood place, and this was a sit down. The waitress seemed older than 16, so I thought I could trust her. I did tell her very directly that I needed it dairy free, and it was important .  Then we went to the AIr Museum, and then my son's place for board games. We played Spirit Island. It is a co-op game, that honestly I don't really like. It's super complicated, and I just don't get it. But , hubby likes it, and he got to choose. I just sort of tried. The bad thing about it being coopereative and complicated, is that I have no idea how to strategize, and everyone is too focused on their own stuff to help. I just decided to do my best, and if I lost the game by my bad strategizing, the world would still be ok (I tend to overstress about it) Came home and had more cake.

Right now I am deciding between tracking on MFP today, and just having one piece of cake, or living it up, and having two piece of cake (I had frosting for breakfast. 

* I am not trying to put myself down here. I'm strong and have learned to do some cool party tricks. I mean, they are just more naturally gifted. They have an innate sense of  where there body is. So, they can pick up any sport and do well fairly quickly. I, on the other hand, have to really work at it. I did improve with the putt  putt  as I went along, but I had to really focus on what I was doing. I think you can improve your athletic ability, and I have. But, I also think some people  just have more of a sense of it. Not sure nature  vs nurture as hubby grew up playing sports, and we raised our son that  way (and his dad played ball with him ) and I never did any of that. Anyway, reality is they are more athletic than I am. I  can do ore pull ups than either of them thoughB)

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

* I am not trying to put myself down here. I'm strong and have learned to do some cool party tricks. I mean, they are just more naturally gifted. They have an innate sense of  where there body is. So, they can pick up any sport and do well fairly quickly. I, on the other hand, have to really work at it. I did improve with the putt  putt  as I went along, but I had to really focus on what I was doing. I think you can improve your athletic ability, and I have. But, I also think some people  just have more of a sense of it. Not sure nature  vs nurture as hubby grew up playing sports, and we raised our son that  way (and his dad played ball with him ) and I never did any of that. Anyway, reality is they are more athletic than I am. I  can do ore pull ups than either of them thoughB)

Nicely said...and impressive on the pull-ups.

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Happy belated birthday, Elastigal! 

Yeah I'm not good at any sports lol. Slow reactions, not particularly coordinated. Sure I may have quite some stamina(more like those slow truckers that could keep it up all day) but usually sports requires fast movements and quick turns which I'm not particularly good at. Just ask my badminton buddies. Being able to deadlift 110 lbs does NOT translate in being able to smack a shuttle cock from one end of the court to another. 

Still working on those pull ups, sigh... 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, jcmgm said:

Happy (late) birthday! I relate to what you say about sports with dance... I can dance after many many lessons but rhythm is not something I'm natural-born with haha.  Looks like a full and fun weekend

Exactly.I didn't dance at all when I was younger, but now or church has dance lessons. I struggled a bunch at first I was glad my husband could follow the rhythm, because I couldn't. Now I think I may finally be getting a bit of a feel for it

19 hours ago, Xena said:

Nicely said...and impressive on the pull-ups.

Thanks

18 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Happy Belated Birthday!

Thanks

11 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Happy belated birthday, Elastigal! 

Yeah I'm not good at any sports lol. Slow reactions, not particularly coordinated. Sure I may have quite some stamina(more like those slow truckers that could keep it up all day) but usually sports requires fast movements and quick turns which I'm not particularly good at. Just ask my badminton buddies. Being able to deadlift 110 lbs does NOT translate in being able to smack a shuttle cock from one end of the court to another. 

Still working on those pull ups, sigh... 

Thanks

It was nice for me to discover that even though I'm not good at sports, I can get strong   I was thinking it's like a character attribute sheet. I'm super low on sport fitness, but I am high on tenacity, so that makes up for it.B)

Pull ups will happen. I find that I can take a break with other things, like kettlebell or push ups and come back to it and pretty easily pick up where I left off, but I lose the ability to do a pull up really quickly. And progress is super slow

20 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

It was nice for me to discover that even though I'm not good at sports, I can get strong   I was thinking it's like a character attribute sheet. I'm super low on sport fitness, but I am high on tenacity, so that makes up for it.B)

Your tenacity is almost at human maximum!  Happy Belated Birthday!

• Like 2

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack