• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gibsorz

Respawn point! Let's do this

Mortimer, great  question. I get plenty of veggies, but yes, fruit is few and far between. I have my Max on Net carbs at 30, which means if I'm good at eating whole foods, with 1 ingredient, then I can fit some fruit in (blueberries and green apple are my favorite). Carbs can easily creep up eating things like ketchup (I use a no sugar added one to minimize that), sour cream, salsa, store bought taco seasoning etc making me lose out on my fruit (or in yesterday's case it would of been my handful of chips on my salad). Legumes are also out.

But for me this isn't a long term eating style. At least it isn't planned on being. I did this for ease of following. Before starting May 1st I would get carried away with carbs, so that is the Macro I decided to limit. A piece of fruit with some whipped cream and grated chocolate for dessert would turn into a chocolate bar, which would turn into a bowl of icecream which would turn into a bag of chips.

My plan once I hit my weight loss goal (175 with water weight, so in ketosis, that's about 170 for me) is to go to a 5% surplus, because my long term fitness goals are going to take some serious intensity and it gives me more diversity in my diet. Once I've hit my weight loss goal, my fitness goals are all that matter. If I can hit my fitness goals, I know that my body composition will be desireable, and I will weigh whatever it takes to reach and maintain those goals. I started with 20 lbs of fat more than I should have. So my start is to get rid of that

Despite what I have above as my goals, they aren't my stopping point. If I ever hit Sub 8 min 1.5 mile, sub 34 min 8km, 55 pushups, 17+ reps bench press at 75kg, 20 pull ups, 15+ squats at 90kg, 150+ Consecutive situps at 25 reps per minute, 60 cm vertical jump, sub 5.16s 40m Sprint, and a 400 m run in under 1:05, I will stop seeking improve that kind of physical fitness and set myself to maintain that capability for as many years as possible, with new goals to do with fun stuff like handstands, flagpoles, flips and such. Until I were to reach that, which is probably years away, I'll keep working on improving. 

5% surplus will be 600 additional calories, or more when my workout duration frequency and intensity increase. I plan on keeping protein intake at .86 g/lb distributed as evenly as possible throughout the day (seems real good for satiety, the day I ate 1300 calories I ate give or take 25g of protein 6 times, and I never had hunger pains) I plan on putting my net carb limit to 95 because without limiting I feel ill go crazy on them, and then the balance of calories from fat. Now plans can change, I might go for 95 diabetic carbs (half of sugar alcohols counting towards daily total) or that might be a total carb number (which would still over double my current intake). We shall see. The main reason for the carb increase, is I don't see how just increasing my fat intake from right now would be a balanced or enjoyable diet. Ultra low carb is great for when you are restricting calories, but once done that, I don't see how it is enjoyable. If you can't enjoy your food, what is the point. I already feel like I take on enough heavy cream/olive oil etc just to get near my target macros. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Gibsorz said:

Mowed the lawn, with the 30lb kid in the backpack carrier, no workout, but that counts as activity

If this isn't a workout then I'm not sure what is!

• Like 1

I'm actually wondering if I have kids I'll be able to carry them, but I guess that's more incentive for weight lifting. I'm easy enough on what I eat that I could probably live on almost any veg, enjoyably(I passed my colleagues some of my healthy meals and they agreed it tastes good =) , though well, I'd miss my fruits quite some. The problem is I'm on budget and meats are expensive - thus the dependance on legumes as protein replacements. And also with one eye on being more environmentally friendly. Also I've been called out for hogging my office fridge - so I'm trying to limit myself to 4 veggie tubs per week. Less hauling as well on my side, though its not the weight, it's the bulk. 

For fun I tried doing 400m at a full sprint, flattened myself doing it but my timing was 1.53. Agreed that sprinting isn't my forte, but I have no idea how people do under 1:30 lol. 

• Like 1

I luckily live in an area where meat "isn't expensive". I hunt, the last moose I got gave me 300 lbs of meat. So red meat is spoken for, I get deer basically out my back yard.  I can see the ocean from my front yard, I can get 18 crab a day (since my kids and wife have licenses), 2 Chinook, and a halibut. The only thing I actually pay for is chicken, and that's because where I live rabbit and grouse aren't very common and I can't raise rabbits in my shed since my house is a rental. 

Today/this weekend was/is going to be a gong show diet wise.  I got my SL in today. But the rest of today was spent organizing a charity fishing derby. It starts tomorrow, and I'm partaking. Up at 4am to get out on the water for 430, since high tide is at 5. On the boat all day, unless we limit quickly.  Then Sunday will be up at 5am to be there at 530 for high tide at 6. Back to dock for 3pm so I can do the weigh in from 4pm to 6pm. Then I'm on the grill for steaks for the derby dinner and then the award ceremony. 

Then Monday I'm out hunting since bucks opened earlier this month. 

• Like 3

Oh man I'm jelly. I love venison but down here it's really exorbitant. (City) And game meats are lower in fat then then farmed animals. My last run in with rabbit was it was rather tough and dry. Probably stew material. 

Good luck with your fishing Derby, may you catch lots of fish! 

moose! jealous! i eat quite a lot of venison (thanks, dad!) and occasionally pheasant or grouse but other game meat is hard to come by. 

good luck with your fishing derby! yay fishing!

Wow does time ever fly. Saturday, Sunday Monday were write offs. Didn't track, but don't think I went crazy on the calories, macros were definitely off. Missed my workout Monday due to hunting. Tuesday and Wednesday were good. Worked out Wednesday.

Yesterday Macros, 22net, 137 fat, 125 protein, 100 alcohol calories, 1916 total.

Fitness, like honour, is never bestowed but earned through blood, sweat and sacrifice

• Like 3

Did you manage to get anything while hunting? I think there's a certain deliciousness in hunting your own food. 

Oh I'm no stranger to blood and gore. Spent quite a lot of time gutting fish and preparing organs so it doesn't bother me. 

Got skunked on deer, had a button buck that I glassed, but he moved on before I was sure enough he was a buck to make a shot.

But got about 1/5 of my years worth of fish over the two days. 24 lbs of Chinook filets from 2 Chinook, 15 lbs of halibut from 1 halibut and 4 lbs of ling cod from 2 cod that were by catch. That was day 1, day 2 got nothing, was blowing hard Southwest with rain and had 3 footers stacked on eachother. It sucked hard in the 19ft arima I was in. It sucked even more getting nothing.

Yesterday diet was good, 20 net, 141fat, 102 protein, 1822 calories. Made pizza for dinner using an almond flour, psyllium husk powder recipe. Was good, but didn't get it thin enough. Think I'll half batch next time. Can't wait to get some oat fibre to have lower calorie crust. Almond flour really stacks the calories. Did bodyweight workout.

Out of town for work next week, leaving tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how my diet does. Any tips? With next to no restaurants where I live it has been relatively easy to follow. But I'm going to the city for the first time in 10 months, and might just eat all the food, since I won't be back probably for another 10 months or longer.

Fitness, like honour, is never bestowed but earned through blood, sweat and sacrifice

• Like 3

I can help! I'm a city chit! You see, I was also thinking about my vacation in October, and one of my Park Run buddies pointedly reminded me that I'd need to keep in shape on the trip(good on her!) for my wedding in November. It was a rather sobering realization, but I figured I should be able to manage it. 

Firstly, here's the nerd fitness guide:

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-stay-in-shape-while-traveling/

I intend to body weight workout in the hotel room, before or after I start everyday. If I can't fit in anything else, I'll try to get 40 leg raises, 40 bodyweight squats, 40 push ups and a min of plank done. 

Now for eating out- if you're partial to salads(unlike me - who is a cooked vegetable snob) go whack on them. Choose grilled/roasted/steamed items instead of fried/battered ones and ask for your carb sides (like fries) to be changed for vegetables(you may have to settle for coleslaw). Chinese food with its stir fried meats and vegetables is fairly healthy, as are their clear herbal soups (though sodium may be an issue), but again I'm biased towards my own heritage ;)

For meats - go for fish/chicken/beef in that order. I realized that pork has quite high fat content for its nutrition and generally don't eat that much of it these days.  Though I'm making a black pepper pork zuchinni boat this week. 

Turkey and duck are OK, but stay clear of mutton. 

• Like 1

Weighed in at 182 today before departure. Might make the goal which would surprise me. Going well, haven't been missing workouts, except the one, diet has been on point for 90% of the time I would say, and my stomach must have shrink, because on my off days, when I don't track, I'm not eating nearly as much as I used to.

I Figure I'll eat what I want, stay away from fast food joints, fried foods and devil sticks (French fries) for 10/12 meals that I have away from home and that should be good enough. I'm more interested in the Indian/Thai/pho/Chinese etc

• Like 3

If you're looking for healthy I recommend Chinese and Thai. Stir fried is fine, deep fried

.. Not so good.

Dish recommendations(feel free to disregard, but it's the dishes I find Thai and Chinese joints here do well):

Chinese could be something like:

Stir fried fish slices with spring onion and ginger

Black pepper beef slices with green and red peppers. 

Stir fried Kailan with garlic

Thai:

Spicy Mango salad (yes you should try this at least once!) 

Stir fried minced chicken with basil and chilli

Tom yum soup

Stir fried morning glory(also known as kang Kong) with chilli 

Indian and Indonesian tend to have thick gravies or curries in which may be higher in calories. If you're fine with that you may want to try a Thai seafood green curry. It's good. 

A Vietnamese beef slices pho is also reasonably low on calories, but you may need to order some other side dishes. Since they don't really give you many beef slices. Or at least they don't, here. 

I don't find that my appetite has shrunk much, but I've gotten some issues with the more unhealthy foods(like I can't take too much glutinous rice or flour cakes). The amount of food I can put away for my small size can still be quite a shock, especially if I just came back from exercise. 

Fast food joints are still OK as long as you stick to the salad options and keep an eye on what dressings(in my case I'll tell them none, since I don't like anything mayo based). 

• Like 2

Totally talking my language about what to order. I used to be city folk, so love the variety of food, and have learned to make a lot of my favourites in my isolated community. Don't get a lot of ingredients in (like lemongrass, fennel etc) so am limited on the repertoire of what I can make. Take advantage of off island time whenever I can. At Chinese restaurants I normally aim for restaurants with no English on the menu and order by picture. Head on means I know what I'm eating hahaha. Always insulted when I get brought cutlery automatically though.

• Like 3

Oh get the lemongrass tea at Thai restaurants (try to get unsweetened if possible-some places do cater for it). It's delicious! 

I didn't recommend it earlier as I didn't know you were into this kind of thing - my BF finds lemongrass repulsive and runs away on the smell of it. So I tried not to get too exotic on the spices. 

• Like 1

Not sure if you are still traveling or if you are still looking for advice.

I feel like my best new trick is to try to find a grocery store and buy some food for breakfasts. I usually bring from home a tupperware and a ziplock back with oatmeal. I buy yogurt and fruit. I make myself a yogurt parfait in the morning with the fruit and oatmeal. Not sure what you normally eat for breakfast, but for me dialing in that meal gets the day off on a good foot.

Just got back today

Breakfast was coffee with cream. Found I was never hungry yet until about noon based off of dinner the night before

Lunch I had a beef dip sad, lettuce wrapped burger with salad, and got stuck in the trial one day and one fast food burger with poutine.

Dinner I had 2x Indian, 1xthai, 1x pho

Went heavier on the rice and roti than I normally would, and I had 2 gulab jabun balls at one of the dinners. Plus actually trying different beers. so not fantastic, but this is my once or twice a year occasion where I'm in the city, so if I can't enjoy it, what's the point? Back on track tomorrow.

• Like 3

Back on track today. Didn't track calories, or carbs or anything. Think I was probably around 40 carbs, tomorrow starting the full track again.

On the plus side, I spent the day making a bread.

2 slices has,
2 net
11 total carb
9 fibre
9 fat
17 protein

Uses vital wheat protein (gluten) And par fibre, so It's a Little different on teste, maybe Ill try some sweetener next time to curb some of the fibre taste.

25effecc46c3054ffd2d8e3611892d62.jpg5964351deb60bc56d2dcea1339e9ff86.jpg

• Like 4

Decent day today. Busy between the kid, tying some herring rigs so the 3 year old can go herring fishing, driving the recycling to the transfer station (don't have recycling pickup), mowing the lawn again (can't wait for the summer drought, so the grass stops growing...), Starting a driftwood gate to replace the ugly metal one to the back yard and getting the spare room ready for my parents who arrive the 28th to meet their newest grandkid.

Calorie wise 1624 calories, 23 net, 115 fat, 111 protein. Made a burger with the bread from yesterday for lunch. The burger had 8 carbs. 8! I had arugula, ketchup, mustard, tomato, bread, and a fancy cheese that had 1 carb. I'm liking this bread. Some would call it Franken food, but I miss bread, and oat fibre is mainly just ground oat hulls, wheat protein and flax seed. 2ae7c3baaab9cf9a245bd016d8ebe3a1.jpg

• Like 4

I'm still very fascinated that you can make bread without busting your carb meter. I need to study those ingredients in detail and try to understand how it works. 

Oat fibre is the husks of the oats, ground into a flour like substance. Might be hard to find depending on where you are, but it is 100% insoluble fibre from my research which means 0 effect on blood sugar.

https://www.amazon.ca/Oat-Fiber-Powder-1-1-500/dp/B00JLRG2QY

Today was awesome. Impromptu got out fishing. Was an early morning , alarm at 4am on a Sunday, so only like 4 hours sleep because the baby woke 2/ times last night. Ended up getting 5 Chinook onto the boat. 3 does, 2 bucks. About 60 lbs combined, a couple were small. Hit on 8 others. Had one boat side then it zigged when I thought it was going to zag, and dragged the line into the prop. Fish gone. Then fought another at the end, felt like a true Tyee. Diligently fought it for 25 minutes, letting it run, bringing it back, again, and again. Then I messed up a run when I thought it was getting tired. Stopped the reel too early and he snapped it, took the in line flasher, coho killer hook and all. FML. Better luck next time.

As a result of impromptu fishing, my nutrition was a little off. Macros were good, but micros were low.

1854 net, 23 net, 109 fat, 122 protein and 2 nutrl vodka sodas while on the water.

Will put another 20lbs of Chinook in the freezer in the end for 50 bucks worth of fuel, so worth the micros being off.

• Like 4

Grats for reeling in so many fishies! I'm jelly! I love eating fish but yup, it isn't that cheap here and you're getting it pretty much almost free(except fuel costs). 

Yea I am super fortunate to live a 10 minute boat ride to world class salmon/halibut fishing and having friends who own boats (I cover fuel, they cover maintenance fair deal in my opinion) is convenient.

If I was paying the 25$ a pound it is in other parts of the country, I would not be eating this fish.

• Like 1

Officially ended the challenge yesterday so I weighed in at 181.2 . So I did not make the 180 goal that I had. But as discussed, I expected that. I will keep my eye on my weight, I might still be shedding the water weight I picked up from travelling and eating stuff like French fries and drinking beer. Considering near the end I had 5 write off days, I'm pretty happy with that. I'll set my goal of 175 for end of next challenge. 6 lbs in 5 weeks should be able to be achieved.

Workouts I did start missing some at the end. Going to look up a new workout, wife isn't overly supportive of the 2 hour round trip for the gym with a 3y.o and a 3 months old at home and no daycare in community here.

• Like 3