Adam sneaks into the Warriors quietly.....

18 hours ago, Adam_Backhouse said:

PB on my bench this morning though - finally lifted my body weight.

That's awesome! Congrats! 

(I initially read PB as peanut butter, though, and was momentarily confused)

18 hours ago, Adam_Backhouse said:

How do you tell whether this is down to nutrition or down to needing to switch programme? Do you have to do a bit of experimentation with diet? Have you done this and if so how did you know when the time to switch was?

I'm not an expert, but maybe others will correct me if I'm wrong. I assume that plateauing or slowing down means your ability to recover and adapt is slowing down. Obviously that happens as you get more advanced, but also eating less would reduce your recovery/adaptation. What I'm saying is I don't think these two things are separate; training age and nutrition both contribute to your total ability to recover and adapt (along with sleep, stress, individual factors). So if you're not doing well on your programme, increasing your calories might help you get a bit more use out of that programme, or changing your programme might help you continue with your current calories. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

3 hours ago, JessFit said:

Ask yourself what your macros are and if you're eating properly/healthy most of the time. It occasionally helps to get someone who knows to calculate your ideal macros for you. I've done paleo and I have seen people drop weight on Keto, but those are predominately too low carb for maximal lifts. Carbs are necessary for building muscle and what you eat as carbs are important. Fluff carbs aren't going to serve you as well as sweet potatoes, rice, and whole wheat pasta.

Also ask yourself is you are sleeping enough! Sleep is critical for recovery and muscle building.

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26

On 6/19/2019 at 5:49 AM, Adam_Backhouse said:

PB on my bench this morning though - finally lifted my body weight.

This is excellent. It took me 3 years of lifting to do reps at my bodyweight... and another 4 to get to 1.3 x bodyweight.

• Like 1

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

On 6/18/2019 at 10:16 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

There's unfortunately not a one-size-fits-all answer, because everyone's a little different and we'll never have complete data to make those decisions. But for me, personally, it came down to having two levers I could try to pull -

1) tweak nutrition and increase calories (especially carbs, especially carbs pre-workout), which might work and give me a few more weeks of linear progression;

2) Change programs to an intermediate / advanced program, which would almost certainly allow me to keep making gains, albeit at a much slower pace

Thanks for sharing this and how you made your own decision. Helpful input!

On 6/19/2019 at 4:26 PM, Deckard Gainz said:

My guess is, if you're still questioning form, you may still have some revelations that help you improve more than you might expect on your current program.

This is a good point. And I think that my current programme is probably still going to be good for me for a while. Having said that, part of me hopes that I will always be questioning my form and trying to perfect/tweak it. But I guess there will come a point where I don’t really need input from others to help so much with the form of my lifts. Thanks for sharing your experience of deload/plateaus. 

Final update this challenge. 

Nutrition

This is probably the aspect I am most pleased with from this challenge. I’ve been pretty consistent with calories and eating more protein than before. Throughout the four weeks I have dropped some body fat (starting to have some abs poking through and veins around biceps are visible) and have dropped a bit of overall weight but I don’t feel like it’s been too much. Strength progress has not been affected which makes me feel like I’ve been somewhat successful in not losing too much muscle mass. 

Workouts

Got all barbell sessions in (Friday was deadlifts, OHP, BB row). I don’t think I managed the six extra workouts - more like 3 or 4. Instead, I have prioritised spending time with my family during days off and I don’t feel any guilt for this. 

Duolingo

This has been really bad. Work has been much busier than i first thought so couldn’t squeeze this into my working day. I also haven’t made it a priority at home. Something to tweak next time around. 

Thanks to everyone for all the support. What a great group! I want to wish you all the best with your future challenges (the 4 week variety and otherwise!). 

• Like 2