• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ElizeElvinFoxRyder

elizevdmerwe - ElizeElvinFoxRyder >>> 7

Your opinions please: Knowing nothing else about us, except we are a family of 4, have owned our own house and will make sure to keep to the proper upkeep of the house and grounds. Are responsible, clean and neat, and have four pets, their profiles included. Would you consider renting your house to us?

821627410_petsprofile.thumb.jpg.b507f984261ac898ee6ae944b34370bb.jpg

is this ok, or do you think I should change some things?

EDIT: Ignore the blue proof reading marks. They won't show up on a normal page.

Edited by ElizeElvinFoxRyder
  • Like 2

Yikes, the weeks are going by so fast!

WEEK 2 SUMMARY

HEALTH

• BIBLE/QUIET TIME - Some mornings with at least 5 min. just to say a prayer or enjoy the quiet. Sometimes I took that 5 min. during the day. Same as last time. At least 5 mornings.
  • WATER - Went better. Only Thursday and Friday was less than 2lt/day. Drank a bit more hot rooibos.
  • SLEEP - Also went well. Again 4/7 nights. I'm counting last night, because I was in bed on time, but then Rocco called for a last glass of milk, and Adam was still excited from news, so he was joking and couldn't fall asleep, thus keeping me up. Gave him a smack on his bum to get him to stop. Which made him laugh even more.
  • DRY FIRE SHOOTING - Some safety videos, but no actual dry fire with my personal fire arm. Discussed a couple videos with Brandt, to figure out what we would do in such a situation.

STAYING ACTIVE

Strength workout on Tuesday, then some negative push ups Thursday afternoon with the boys. Didn't do a workout on Friday though. Struggled with the reverse pull/chin ups on Tuesday, but increased the leg scissors from 30 to 50.

Managed a 4.1km walk on Wednesday, but no walk on Thursday afternoon with the dogs. I'm struggling a lot with my sinus, due to dust, and what not that is in the air. A lot of people are complaining. I just wasn't in the mood to walk.

THE PLAN...COUNTDOWN - 8months to go -

Things that need to get done this month:

• Finances (dailies and monthlies) - Everything's up to date. Re-arranged the whole budget to include money for the boys' promised tablets. Brandt got an unexpected payment for work done from a client, which he will use for tires and what not for the Uno.
  • Titre tests for pets - Appointments made for next week Wednesday. Was told by the Vet Assistant that we are one of 15 families in their practice getting ready to emigrate. 1x to USA, 2x to UK, I think 1x to Oz, and the rest (including us) to NZ.
  • Certified copies of documentation - Can wait a bit still.
  • Pet CVs - Done. I think it is ok for now.
  • Proof of Character - by police. Need to phone the police contact we've been given, and make an appointment.
  • Brandt hip exam - Can wait a bit still.
  • House repairs - Not getting done yet. Brandt wanted Eric to finish up things in the garden first, but I want to try and have it done before we go to Sabie.

DEAR DIARY...

We've been promising the boys tablets, and finally (as extra money came in) we ordered it for them!

Mecer Xpress Smartlife 10.1" 3G & Wifi Tablet - Black

image.png.37368b79bb1b74f7a905ef904194cc3b.png

My cellphone's battery has twice now just cut out due to cold, and age (4yrs). Luckily I have emergency batteries in the car, and a charger, so I still had a way to contact people. I was actually busy messaging our neighbour to find out what snacks I should buy to send over with Rocco, when he was going to go play there, later yesterday afternoon. I just bought what I thought would do, and later when I got the cell on an emergency battery in the car, confirmed with her. So not a real emergency, but if it happens when I need to phone police or someone...

I'm still trying and find a replacement battery, even if it isn't from the same cellphone. I contacted the makers (Pinnacle) and they just said, sorry end of life for that specific cellphone. Their newer cellphones use different batteries, so they can't help me. If I can't then I'll buy a new cellphone next month. I have this one in mind, if I need to replace the current one. I really don't need more than this. Brandt and I are specifically looking at Android Go because it uses a lot less data. We are also putting a cellphone for my mom on the budget for next month. Also with Android Go, but very basic. Very few settings to 'accidentally' delete or able to mess with, as it is locked in with Vodacom. Also very sturdy, so won't damage easily. Brandt is actually looking at the same one for himself. But this Xiaomi would be my choice.

Xiaomi Redmi Go 8GB - Blue

image.png.3ec8e5f35e25c554e2f8e20dc0387714.png

• Like 4

On 6/7/2019 at 8:11 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Your opinions please: Knowing nothing else about us, except we are a family of 4, have owned our own house and will make sure to keep to the proper upkeep of the house and grounds. Are responsible, clean and neat, and have four pets, their profiles included. Would you consider renting your house to us?

821627410_petsprofile.thumb.jpg.b507f984261ac898ee6ae944b34370bb.jpg

is this ok, or do you think I should change some things?

EDIT: Ignore the blue proof reading marks. They won't show up on a normal page.

I think it will depend on how the homeowner feels about bigger animals.  I imagine some landlords would just ask for a pet deposit or cleaning fee. 

I wonder if it would be better to skip the part about fleas, etc and the barking.  Just keep everything positive and not remind them that pets sometimes bring fleas and that dogs sometimes bark.  Does that make sense?  "Our pets are spayed/neutered, micro-chipped, vaccinated and housetrained."  Anyway, just a thought.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lightning said:

I think it will depend on how the homeowner feels about bigger animals.  I imagine some landlords would just ask for a pet deposit or cleaning fee. 

I wonder if it would be better to skip the part about fleas, etc and the barking.  Just keep everything positive and not remind them that pets sometimes bring fleas and that dogs sometimes bark.  Does that make sense?  "Our pets are spayed/neutered, micro-chipped, vaccinated and housetrained."  Anyway, just a thought.

21 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I think I’d leave off that you’re working on basic commands with a couple of them; it makes them sound untrained.

Thanks guys, it makes sense. I'll make the changes. We don't have this kind of thing here in SA. If you have a property and it isn't part of a complex/community area, then you are allowed to keep pets, so we've never had to apply or ask permission to keep pets.

---------------------------------

Jinkies! What a weekend! There was another attempted break in (well a couple), but one in particular where the guy couldn't care less that people could see him openly trying to poison the dog from the main road's side. Around 11h15 Saturday morning. A lady saw him from across the street, shouted, phoned the police, and notified the community. He walked away casually after she made so much noise, but the police saw him loitering as they drove up the street, stopped him, and found the poison on him! It was apparently the same guy who poisoned someone else's dog last week, before breaking in to their property. No one else was caught though, but ... at least this guy is off the streets for a couple weeks. And a dog fighting ring is going around stealing people's dogs, especially Dobermans, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, etc. I'm locking Missy inside the house if we all go out.

I woke up this morning around 2am from Zuzu and Rosy's low growling. I let them out, they ran to the back garden, but didn't bark, and was back in the house within 15min. We were just back in bed, when one loud ... cry or scream or something came from somewhere towards the back, but I don't think it was on our property. But close enough. I got such a fright! I don't know whether it was a baby monkey (sounded close to human, but not quite human) that was attacked by something (maybe a civet cat) but it was horrible! And only Adam and I fully woke up; outside I saw lights switching on in various other houses. Brandt says he heard something, but was too tired to wake up fully. Of course I struggled to fall asleep after that, and woke up every now and again. Last time was around 3h45-4h00 when the patrol guys drove past the house and the vehicle lights woke me up. That sound was a nightmare come true!

Eric sanded and scraped the bathroom walls today, so tomorrow after school work I hope to start painting. From today till about Thursday we will be showering in the outside bathroom's shower, so the walls can dry properly.

Last week of extra-murals for the boys. I'm tired, so I'm going to do some seam fixing while waiting for Rocco during dance lessons. That ought to keep me awake. And I'm rambling...

One good highlight from the weekend: A bird like this, I think a juvenile Crowned Eagle, came into our garden Sunday morning. Sat on a high branch looking for food. A small bird started diving at it, successfully chasing it away from it's nest. It could have been a Martial eagle, because of it's colouring, but either way, it was amazing!

image.thumb.png.5ac7867927409de357a9f228a7ee4303.png

• Like 6

Love the bird!

In the US, it can be hard to find pet friendly places, but they exist. They almost always ask for a damage deposit.

It's nice that you were able to get the tablet for the boys. They will be so excited!

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 5:07 PM, Lightning said:

So much beauty and so much turmoil in the same place.  Always love the wildlife pics and stories. 

South Africa is stunning, from landscapes to animals. But yes, I don't think there's been a time that there hasn't been turmoil on the soil. At the moment our area is quiet, but there are huge protests and riots going on up in the northern parts, in Gauteng province.

On 6/10/2019 at 6:00 PM, Elastigirl said:

What a pretty bird! Hope that tonight is quieter so yo can catch up on your missed sleep

The nights have been quiet! No monkeys misbehaving, and no opportunists either. Even the cats were quiet with no cat-fights or squeals. We got some solid sleep in, thanks. Brandt has however been going to work early these last three days (Monday-Wednesday), meaning he was out of the house by 6am, so I got up just after 5am again to make breakfast, etc. He is trying to work in extra hours for the 4+ days that he won't be able to work later this month.

3 hours ago, Xena said:

Love the bird!

In the US, it can be hard to find pet friendly places, but they exist. They almost always ask for a damage deposit.

It's nice that you were able to get the tablet for the boys. They will be so excited!

I'm seeing the same on the ads for New Zealand homes. Almost all state pets negotiable. Very few ask a deposit, but they either limit the number of animals, or state that all pets, except maybe cats, must stay outside. There are however some places willing to rent and they openly say pets welcome, even inside, but then the rent is higher. We'll just take it as it comes when the time comes.

The tablets should be delivered today! Much excitement of course. Neither Brandt or I have worked on tablets before, so it will be a new experience all round.

DEAR DIARY...

Spoiler

I have to admit, at the moment our hopes are low w.r.t. emigrating. Brandt has applied for a job in Auckland (4th in total), which means his immigration points are lower, but if he can get a job... The first couple jobs he applied for all seemed to want someone who was willing to resign and go to NZ, on the hopes of finding a job, and no surety. Basically be in NZ already with a work visa. We just don't want to take that kind of a risk. But he is now more keen than even I was at the beginning to get out. He isn't talking much, says talking about the country's situation is just making him very angry and aggressive, which is exactly how I feel, but talking at least gets some of it out of me.

Francoisana came back from her holiday, safe and sound, but she had very sad news. There was this guy (G) we knew from church days, who lived three houses down from us. Like us they (he and his wife) have left church years ago (she was Catholic and could never adapt to his church, but also didn't want to go back to Catholic church). Anyway... this man, G, has always been walking everywhere. He was about Brandt's age (50-52yrs). We would see him walking in the street, and if no traffic, would pull over and chat a bit, sometimes just wave and drive on. He never wanted a lift anywhere. He walked to the shops to buy groceries, had a backpack on for the packages, etc. Walked to a local gym and swimming pool, you get the idea. Brandt and I actually said over this last weekend that we haven't seen him for a while now. It seems he had committed suicide about two weeks ago! He jumped from the train bridge a block down from the houses, in front of a train. But there was nothing to indicate that something had happened (no community news, no extra emergency vehicles), except that Francoisana was told via the church office. Apparently there was a very small, private funeral for him last week Thursday at church. I was so shocked after I heard the news yesterday, that I struggled to do anything in the house. As was Brandt when I told him last night. Brandt and I will see if we can go to the wife this weekend to give our condolences. I actually saw them walking in the street the day before he did this. They walked past our gate just as I came home, and as usual, we stopped and chatted a bit. I still remember asking them whether they dressed the same coincidentally or whether it was planned, to which they looked at each other, laughed, and said it was pure coincidence.

Someone else I knew from church days had also committed suicide last week, which Francoisana told me about, but I didn't know them well at all. It was still such a shock to find out about their deaths. But we knew G relatively well, and we hadn't seen that coming at all.

On a private note, I started painting the bathroom yesterday. First some water proofing in places where needed. Then the ceiling. Ended up painting a third of the ceiling with a paint brush, purely because I was still in shock from the news (^^^ read above). Today should go faster when I use the roller. We've been using the outside bathroom to shower at night, and both the boys and Brandt are loving it. Says it feels like camping :D. I on the other hand don't like it that much, mainly because that shower has a rain-like shower head, and not something with a bit of pressure. But that's just me.

Anyway... I'm not sure whether there are actually a last Lego lesson today. Would prefer if I could just go on and paint and get things done.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The emigration situation and local safety situation is incredibly stressful. Of course people deal with stress in different ways. If Brandt finds it hard to talk about, you still need an outlet. Can you talk to Francoisana and/or others? Of course we are also still here for you.

I'm sure you have thought of this, but another thing that sometimes helps is to work your personal network. Do you know any people who have already moved to NZ and who might help you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xena said:

The emigration situation and local safety situation is incredibly stressful. Of course people deal with stress in different ways. If Brandt finds it hard to talk about, you still need an outlet. Can you talk to Francoisana and/or others? Of course we are also still here for you.

Francoisana at this stage believes in "hear no evil", "see no evil". If she ignores it, it isn't there then she doesn't have to worry. A part of me is scared to open up about just how much the safety situation is affecting me, to others in real life, because it does seem that a lot of people are acting like Francoisana: "if you ignore the situation, it won't affect you, or isn't real".

I think I'm ok, as long as you guys don't mind me just sharing some of the things out here. You can really ignore it as well, just need to get some of that build up out of my system. I also found that I tend to play shooting and fighting games when my aggression/helplessness to do anything about the situation/the feeling that I want to fight with someone, becomes high, which sort of gets rid of that excess negative energy, and then I feel better, or more in control. When that is out, I see I only play non-violent games like Minesweeper or riddles, or typing games :D So guess I found another outlet.

3 hours ago, Xena said:

I'm sure you have thought of this, but another thing that sometimes helps is to work your personal network. Do you know any people who have already moved to NZ and who might help you?

Yes we do have friends there. I asked Brandt to tell them that he is interested and to please think of him when they hear of any opportunities. He was first dead set against it, doesn't like asking for help! I read some articles to him about NZ managers who prefer if people have local references or personal recommendations from other people they know, so he grudgingly asked two people he has worked with, who is there now, if they would keep him in mind. The one even said that Brandt can add him as a previous work reference, as they worked together here, and Brandt was the one who helped him improve his Delphi programming skills, so that he could get the job in NZ, in the first place. That was about 2-3yrs ago that he got the job, but he is also keen for Brandt to go over.

I mentioned it to another lady friend of ours in NZ. We don't know her husband, but she and I kept contact via Fb after she moved out of Pmb, and she is also keeping her eyes and ears open. And of course our neighbours who are currently in the process of moving said they'll keep us in mind too. And Brandt's mechanic (and rally racing) friend is also currently in the process of moving there, so he is also keeping open eyes and ears, as he also wants us there and close to them.

I heard via the NZ Fb group of certain towns that have a business community initiative where they accept CV's of people who want to immigrate, then circulate it through their contacts. I handed in Brandt's CV to those groups I could get contact info for, and he is on two recruitment companies' lists. So ... I think it is a case of us just having to do our share, and then just patience and faith. But the stress is difficult to handle at times, especially as all the South African documentation went so fast, compared to normally.

---------------------------------

Something on the Christianity/faith side of things: I mentioned before that Adam shared with some of his online friends that we are Christians, and he asked them to please not use God's name or swear while playing with him. They all apparently readily agreed. He has a small group of online friends now (+-4) and we seem to be the only Christians, or people of faith. I don't mind that, what bothered me was some of the reactions I had at times when he repeatedly asked them to consider what they were saying. Part of me wanted to shush him, feeling that he might offend them, that he was pushing our beliefs on them, and he might loose his friends. Another part was so proud of him. Then I felt ashamed that he, a boy, was willing to stand up for his faith, while I, was thinking of pleasing/placcating the people first, and not standing up for my faith.

Yesterday he and the one boy from Australia (14yrs old) was playing in an online scene where there was a church. The two of them went in and Adam started telling his friend the story of Noah and the Ark (head set with microphone). I heard the boy asking questions, and I was so proud when Adam spoke to him about some things. Today they played in that setting again with other people, and apparently reached an agreement with some of the other online players that while inside the church, the players/teams won't attack each other, but will sit down and listen to Adam telling Bible stories, but all bets were off once they go outside the church. So Adam... preached! When I heard him starting to repeat himself a lot of times w.r.t. saying "no you are inside the church, sit down and listen, and stop swearing, and I will tell you stories now", I told him that maybe it was time he stopped playing or changed the scene, because it felt and sounded like he was trying to force people to listen when they obviously didn't want to. A part of me felt guilty, but a bigger part of me felt that there was a time and place, and sometimes you just have to plant the seed, and not force too much water on it, as you will drown it, thus it won't grow. That is what I told Adam, and he understood. He and his friend left that setting, chatted a bit more, then Adam's time online was up, and he withdrew.

I just feel... I feel a bit mixed up. Some guilt mixed with pride for him, but also I'm unsure of when to stop things and what to encourage.

• Like 4

Praying for your family and wisdom and direction as far as the move. Not knowing can be so stressful! Praying for wisdom in parenting too! Sounds to me like you handled it well with Adam. Explaining to him that yo can't force people to listen about God (or anything really) but that you can trust if you water the seed, God will work in their lives. And you should be proud of him! I tend to be too quiet about my faith for fear of offending others, when it is really very important to me.

• Like 1

Great that you have some NZ residents who can serve as references and keep their eyes out. That kind of thing can make a difference. It's often some small coincidence that leads to an opportunity. You've done what you can to seed the ground for "lucky" coincidences.

I really liked reading about your interactions/discussions with Adam. I can imagine your internal conflict, but it's fantastic that you have been able to have these discussions with him in a relatively low-risk context. It's part of growing up to learn how to interact with people who are different than you, whether related to religion or anything else. It's great that Adam was willing to stand up for himself and ask for tolerance and respect for his beliefs. It's nice that he found a friend who was receptive to learning more and that he was able to share. Then, as you mentioned, it's farther down the spectrum when he continued the dialog with people who may have been less receptive or interested. So it's great that you were able to witness that and talk about it. Eventually he'll be making those decisions for himself...deciding how much he want to associate with people with different beliefs and how to navigate those differences. Sounds like some good steps were taken.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2019 at 6:35 PM, Elastigirl said:

Praying for your family and wisdom and direction as far as the move. Not knowing can be so stressful! Praying for wisdom in parenting too! Sounds to me like you handled it well with Adam. Explaining to him that yo can't force people to listen about God (or anything really) but that you can trust if you water the seed, God will work in their lives. And you should be proud of him! I tend to be too quiet about my faith for fear of offending others, when it is really very important to me.

On 6/13/2019 at 12:55 AM, Xena said:

Great that you have some NZ residents who can serve as references and keep their eyes out. That kind of thing can make a difference. It's often some small coincidence that leads to an opportunity. You've done what you can to seed the ground for "lucky" coincidences.

I really liked reading about your interactions/discussions with Adam. I can imagine your internal conflict, but it's fantastic that you have been able to have these discussions with him in a relatively low-risk context. It's part of growing up to learn how to interact with people who are different than you, whether related to religion or anything else. It's great that Adam was willing to stand up for himself and ask for tolerance and respect for his beliefs. It's nice that he found a friend who was receptive to learning more and that he was able to share. Then, as you mentioned, it's farther down the spectrum when he continued the dialog with people who may have been less receptive or interested. So it's great that you were able to witness that and talk about it. Eventually he'll be making those decisions for himself...deciding how much he want to associate with people with different beliefs and how to navigate those differences. Sounds like some good steps were taken.

Thanks guys, both of you. I read your replies on email, but just haven't had the gumption to answer. I guess a few too many computer/tablet interactions, trying to figure a lot of new things out. I was just computer/tech shy for the last couple days. Except to read. I re-read a couple of feel good action/romances. Guess I needed the quiet/alone time.

There is another job that Brandt wants to apply for. We'll discuss it tonight after his marshaling duty today.

Thanks for your thoughts on the faith situation. It really put my mind at ease. I wasn't sure whether I acted too strongly, or not strong enough, or basically where to draw the line.

Adam hasn't played online for the last two days, because the new tablets took up most of his time. Kids pick up new tech so fast it's scary! But they are happy; they are looking after them properly, and putting them on charge every night (new brooms always sweep clean). They know these two tablets are their responsibility and they are taking it seriously. Their one school friend came over to play Friday afternoon, as schools are closed for a 3 week break, and he will most likely be coming over a couple afternoons next week, if he and his brother doesn't have to visit their mom.

WEEK 3 SUMMARY

HEALTH

• BIBLE/QUIET TIME - Was up around 5am a couple mornings, so took time after Brandt left early for work, to have a longer quiet time.
  • WATER - Went ok, but not great. 3/7 days 2Lt. Other days at least a bottle or nearly a bottle and some tea. It's been very cold, so I had a bit more coffee, and some tea, rather than water.
  • SLEEP - Not so well. Either late nights, or interrupted nights (but no safety scares). Or very early mornings.
  • DRY FIRE SHOOTING - Only one or two videos, which Brandt and I discussed. No dry fire training.

STAYING ACTIVE

This week nothing happened.

We are also not going on that Berg hike early July. H at Brandt's work had to urgently go to see his mom in the Cape (she's in her 90s) as her health had drastically deteriorated. He isn't back at work yet.

• Finances (dailies and monthlies) - Need to do dailies again, and monthly on Brandt's small private bank account.
  • Titre tests for pets - Done. Took all the pets on Wednesday. It was hectic. Results will take a while.
  • Pet CVs - Done. I think it is ok for now.
  • Proof of Character - Can wait a bit still.
  • Brandt hip exam - Can wait a bit still.
  • House repairs - Done.

DEAR DIARY...

Spoiler

I managed to finish the shower room's painting, and it looks good. Tonight though will be the first time that we shower there again. I didn't want to take any chances w.r.t. water damp on newly painted walls. I found that while painting I was very critical with myself, asking the whole time whether (if we sell the house) someone else would be happy with the paint job. It made painting a whole lot more difficult and just not a nice thing to do. I would ideally like to get novilon tiles to put on both bathrooms' floors too, but that will have to wait for another month. At least no more traipsing up to the outside bathroom in the cold at night.

My mom phoned again Saturday night on the house phone. I had no anxiety reactions, just a little bit of annoyance, and then felt like, just talk and get it over with. This time she said she had left three bags with her clothes at our house and wants to get it. I told her that she fetched everything of hers last year soon after she went to the home, because she didn't want to leave anything here. Her answer was that she forgot she did that. My answer was "mmm". She wanted to know how we all were doing, but couldn't remember Brandt or the boys' names (could be the medication, but she always struggled to remember the boys' names). That was the bit that annoyed me, but not too much. I just sighed, told her we are going on, and afterward went back to folding clothes. No thinking too much about it, no anxiety, no stress, nothing. I was fine. So all the household chores are also done.

Otherwise all is ok this side. Just received an email notification that our allergy tests were paid for by the medical aid, so we should receive the results in the next week or so. Rocco's face is ok, but his arm has hard patches of skin, and eczema. We've been cutting back on gluten a bit again anyway, but we should hopefully have official answers soon. My sinus immediately got better when I gut down on gluten, but I'm taking a lot of sinus meds compared to previously. I should have known better, but sometimes you just need to bump your head against that rock again to realise (again) that it hurts.

Today is actually a public holiday, but because it is on a Sunday, we get tomorrow (Monday) off. And apparently today is actually Father's Day. Not that we celebrate, but I treated Brandt to some nice things last Sunday (because I thought it was then), but decided to buy him his favourite fiery, mouth destroying chips/crisps, and a small packet of dry wors, which he doesn't have to share. Just to treat him a bit.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The thought occurs to me another reason you don't want to open up to Francosiana about NZ is that she will probably tell your mother about it and you don't want that happening.

That thought might subconsciously have occurred with me too, because I haven't told Francoisana much more about our plans for NZ except that we are looking into it, seeing what needs to be done if we want to emigrate. Normally she isn't the type to talk out, and I don't think she'll tell my mom, because I did ask her not to, but it could happen. Slip ups happen.

----------------------

I had a bit of a scare this last hour. I got an allergic reaction to the Snoek I grilled for us. I was careful and took the grey skin off the fish, but something obviously still triggered my reaction. My throat started swelling, and I struggled a bit to breathe, and could feel the back of my pallet area closing. That started me coughing which made me realise I was really having an allergic reaction. Took Pegasus Histamine Comp a couple times now, and it is getting better. Can breathe easier. Throat is still sore and feels thick, but the pills are working.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the reaction. That must have been really scary.

Nice that you treated Brandt for Father's Day (no matter which day you picked). It's always cool to 'borrow' a holiday as a way to do something nice or show some appreciation.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

I should have known better, but sometimes you just need to bump your head against that rock again to realise (again) that it hurts.

Ha! I keep doing that myself. But I am bumping my head less often :) 

So scary about the food reaction! I’m glad you kept your wits about you and were able to treat it quickly.  I hope you feel 100% soon. 

6 hours ago, Xena said:

Sorry to hear about the reaction. That must have been really scary.

Nice that you treated Brandt for Father's Day (no matter which day you picked). It's always cool to 'borrow' a holiday as a way to do something nice or show some appreciation.

Thanks, it was almost all gone by 11h00 last night. The reaction was worse than previous times, but not so bad that I felt I had to go to hospital to have it treated, although Brandt was keeping an eye on me.

Brandt did appreciate his treats and gave me a hard hug when he saw it on his desk and the boys told him what it was for. He didn't saying anything, just a hug and a kiss. Ahhh you know, these silent types. :love_heart:

6 hours ago, Lightning said:

Ha! I keep doing that myself. But I am bumping my head less often :) 

So scary about the food reaction! I’m glad you kept your wits about you and were able to treat it quickly.  I hope you feel 100% soon. 

I'm afraid Rocco is more like me, having to bump his head against the food/allergy monster. I also don't do it that often anymore, but sometimes... At the moment we are so off Banting that it isn't even funny. Brandt and I spoke about it this morning. We have to get our eating habits back under control.

Thanks, my throat and back pallet is still a bit sore this morning, but no lingering reactions. Guess I'm cutting fish out of my diet again. I always make sure that I have meds on hand.

--------------------------

Brandt was up very early this morning, while I slept in a bit. He had someone contact him through LinkedIn and Facebook, which we haven't spoken to in years! It was one of the bosses I reported to when I was still secretary/PA in forestry, and we lived in Sabie. He is the same age as Brandt, they were in the same years in high school, went to army together, went to university together (both studied forestry), and he now lives in ... New Zealand! Been there a couple of years already. So another friend we know there, another contact. I was thinking about them just this past week, because his wife painted a wedding photo for us, as well as an underwater scene on fabric as a curtain for our bathroom, years ago. Reminisced a bit this past week, I did.

Brandt applied for two more positions. This is the most positions that had apparently been available in NZ for Delphi jobs in years. Now just to get someone to take a chance on him/us.

• Like 4

Sorry for going silent time and again.

Been busy with the usual. I had to write letters of character confirmation/proof of character and relationship, for Brandt and myself, on behalf of friends. We had to do it for Brandt's mechanic friends, stating what we know about them, and their relationship/marriage. We need the same for the visa application. So that is part of Proof of character. I asked A and his wife, when I sent a letter from us, and they'll write one for us in return. I also asked our neighbours with the twins, Francoisana (as I know her the longest in town), and another friend in the home school circles. Yikes, my HS friend asked me to type up a template letter, showing what was expected, then they'll have a look, sign, and email back to me. It felt so much like blowing my own bugle, bragging in a sense, even though I know it isn't, but it made me feel very uncomfortable. So we'll have to see how that turns out.

Anyway, so that part is also done. I managed some quiet time, and drank enough water/tea these last two days. Sleep is also good. I also did a strength workout Tuesday morning. Also caught up with daily finances. So it's going fine. Hope you are doing well too.

• Like 3

No worries about not updating, we know you are  really busy with not only your normal stuff but handling all the moving requirements.  And it sounds like you are doing a great job of doing that! As for the eating, maybe with all the other stressors , it might be better to not be too strict on what you are eating? Keep it  basic, perhaps just focus on  stopping eating when you are full, and getting your water in?

• Like 2

On 6/19/2019 at 10:16 PM, Elastigirl said:

No worries about not updating, we know you are  really busy with not only your normal stuff but handling all the moving requirements.  And it sounds like you are doing a great job of doing that! As for the eating, maybe with all the other stressors , it might be better to not be too strict on what you are eating? Keep it  basic, perhaps just focus on  stopping eating when you are full, and getting your water in?

Thanks, EG. I came to the same conclusion as you, w.r.t. the eating: keep to eating till we are full (no over eating), drink enough water/rooibos, but just check that we aren't eating too much starch, chocolates, etc. But the doctor phoned yesterday afternoon with our allergy results. We are, of course, not allergic to any foods! according to the tests, but he says if he took his notes into account, he definitely thinks we have intolerances (Rocco and I specifically), and those become worse when we are under stress. He suggested that we go on an exclusion diet for the next three weeks. I already know from looking at my reactions what causes a lot of my discomfort: fish skin/fat, milk and cream (might be sulphur dioxide in it), bread, sulphur dioxide preservative. But Rocco's skin reactions are a lot slower to form, and some of the red patches on his skin is forming a harder like surface. So, where to begin and just how much to cut out, or do it properly and cut everything on the list that causes the most common reactions, then slowly bring things back in?

On 6/20/2019 at 2:52 PM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

*Wave*

Sounds like things are REALLY challenging .... I'm catching up  on reading it all.  

*Waving back* Hi there! So good to see you again.

Amid all the 'excitement' and stress, we actually have a lot of calm, relaxing times, so a lot of ups and downs every single day and week. But we are managing, thank you. Hope to catch up soon on all that has happened in your life since the last time I followed your challenge.

-------------------------------

DEAR DIARY... I know, it's in the wrong place, but...

So to end this challenge off: I have to work out what Rocco and I will do with regards to food and intolerances and all those difficult things. I was hoping that the allergy tests would be clear, so that we can just make a clean cut and say "sorry, we aren't eating this any more", but it seems we have to start from scratch by eliminating foods. Rocco has very little willpower to do this, and mine isn't much stronger, to be honest. Although his reactions aren't life threatening, the rashes on his arm and legs are getting worse, and I hate that. He has also picked up A LOT of weight, and is struggling to run, play, dance... All I see is a lot of extra time spent making food, and having to stay in control of everything we eat.

While talking to dr. on the phone, he said that he didn't think I was allergic to fish itself, but rather to something that was probably absorbed by the fish' skin and that fatty layer: maybe heavy metals, something toxic, or some such thing, taking into consideration that I sometimes react to metals. But elimination was the best path to take, and then write down when we ate something that contained preservatives.

The boys and I thought to finish the food in the house that are not allowed (bread, milk), and then try to substitute them with other options as I have to buy new groceries.But I can't stop buying everything that we can't eat, because Brandt can and still want to eat it, like rusks, and fish, and eggs. And cream for his coffee. I can't stop buying milk, because Thoko and Eric drink milk in their tea/coffee. So...???

Also, we are leaving for Sabie this coming Friday, and will be back the following Tuesday. So only away for 5 days. Managing food while we are in Sabie is a nightmare, to say the least.

Anyone done elimination/exclusion diets before? Recommendations? Ideas? The dr. said to cut out all the normal reaction-inducing foods for three weeks, then one by one bring it back in: eggs, milk (and products), peanuts, nuts, fish, soya, wheat specifically, but could do gluten cut out in general. Years ago I totally excluded gluten from our diets, and we kept that up for a couple years. I just feel it is going to be so much more difficult now that the boys are bigger and have tasted all kinds of foods, which they like, but now can't have. And Adam's reaction is that he doesn't react like we do, so why must he cut it out? Granted, but it makes it so much more difficult to manage if some can have some foods, while others in the house can't. Ok, so much more difficult to control Rocco's eating habits when Adam can have some foods, but Rocco can't. Because Rocco will get up at night to drink milk, or eat milo out of the can when we aren't looking, etc. Or maybe instead of total elimination, rather just those foods that I know cause problems, and then try to include more foods that can help inflammation and intolerance reactions like more Omega 3's (fish oil capsules), Vitamins A, C and E, Quercetin rich foods?

Anyone willing to logically run through some options with me? Because my mind is blank at the moment. I just see this mountain, instead of smaller goal steps to reach the healthy eating, no reactions, better skin and health for Rocco - goal.

-------------------------------

WEEK 4 SUMMARY

HEALTH

• BIBLE/QUIET TIME - Most days had some quiet time. Some musings and things to think about and talk with to Father.
  • WATER - We're doing better at drinking tea at least once a day. I haven't been so good on the water, drinking one bottle if I'm lucky.
  • SLEEP - Has been well, except Friday when Brandt had gone down to the south coast again for a road race and marshaling.
  • DRY FIRE SHOOTING - A couple of videos, which Brandt and I discussed. No dry fire training.

STAYING ACTIVE

Strength training on Tuesday. Was a bit hit and run (stretched out over a longer period than I normally take), as Rocco wanted me to help him with some extra stuff. He lifted a 10kg (22Lb) dumbbell from chest to over his head ten times! Shoulder presses basically!

No walking whatsoever.

• Finances (dailies and monthlies) - Up to date.
  • Titre tests for pets - Done.
  • Pet CVs - Done.
  • Proof of Character - In part. Not the police ones, they have to wait till Brandt gets a job offer. But I've asked for letters from friends. Got only one back. Will ask again week after next.
  • Brandt hip exam - Can wait till we have to do the Health Exams.
  • House repairs - Done.

So in summary: I have to focus more on health/food and fitness.

• Like 3

I'd thought for sure your allergy tests would show an allergy to fish. That's really weird. The Dr. may be on to something with  metals in the fish idea. To me the idea of just getting rid of foods that cause problems seems much more do-able. Andd adding in some inflammation fighting stuff. Then if there are still issues,  you can start eliminating more. With Rocco are you sure the rash is food caused? I use a laundry detergent that doesn't have perfumes in it, otherwise I get a rash.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I'd thought for sure your allergy tests would show an allergy to fish. That's really weird. The Dr. may be on to something with  metals in the fish idea.

Yes, it baffled me too, and Brandt when I told him when he got home last night. But then... If it's processed fish, like fish in crumbs or crab sticks, which is just fish with a pinkish colouring, I don't get any reaction. It is only when I eat fish that still has that gray skin layer, or the fat layer under that, that I get a reaction. Also when I eat crayfish or prawns that still have that little vein running through them. If they are cleaned and removed, I don't get a reaction from that either. So it kind of makes sense that it isn't the fish/crustacean itself, but rather something on them.

To me the idea of just getting rid of foods that cause problems seems much more do-able. Andd adding in some inflammation fighting stuff.

I thought about this last night (after reading your comment), and that is what I decided to do. It made the whole change a whole lot less overwhelming, and I'll only concentrate on Rocco and myself for now, but obviously it will impact Brandt and Adam as well, as I'll use more gluten free products again, or at least wheat free, if that is an option.

Rocco are you sure the rash is food caused? I use a laundry detergent that doesn't have perfumes in it, otherwise I get a rash.

Brandt reminded me that I changed the washing powder when Rocco was small, before we cut gluten out the first time, because he got rashes on his arms and legs then too. The special powder didn't help at all, that was why we decided then to focus on food. I've been using that washing powder the whole time till about beginning of last year (2018) though, and Rocco was still getting the rashes intermittently, but it got a lot worse in the last year.

----------------------------------

I went back to the store I used to buy my groceries from previously as they have a greater variety of gluten free products. Their fresh produce is just a lot more expensive than the last store I bought from, but honestly I got such a great deal today, I can't complain. 4 bags - one each of gem squash (3kg), carrots (3kg), tomatoes (1.5kg) and sweet potatoes (3kg), for only R100! (+-$7 all together)

The boys eat two kinds of cereal a week, one which is totally gluten free, but is high on soya (which I don't like for men and boys, but they only use it 3 mornings a week), and now I bought them a new one called Honey Hoops, which is also gluten free. A bit high on the sugar, but the other cereals are either only wheat free, or low gluten, but not gluten free. I also bought little snack sachets with nuts, seeds, berries and a small amount of Belgian chocolate chips, which they'll share and have with this cereal sometimes. (Not every time!)

I'm also going to cut out normal bread, and bought a rye loaf for Adam (which Eric and Thoko will also have some of), and I bought unflavoured rice crackers (for both boys to try) and gluten free tortilla wraps for Rocco and myself. Just to change up some lunches. We have all had rice cakes on occasion and we don't like it. Not even the carob covered ones. A lot of our maize products are genetically modified, so I try to stay away from that as well.

I'm cutting out peanuts and peanut butter for both boys as well, because that was also something I only brought back in when my mom stayed with us. So in the last two years. I'll also have to keep an eye out for wheat/gluten used as filler in some sausage meat. And I'll cut out fish/seafood for a bit too.

Rocco has agreed to limit his cow's milk to one small cup at night when he goes to bed. We'll still see whether he drinks his rooibos with the new milk, or without. I'm happy if he just lowers his milk intake at this point. The soya cereal mixes with water, but he'll have the honey hoops dry. He tried the powdered coconut milk I bought but can't stand the grains (called sediment on the packet) that is left after mixed. Canned coconut milk is too expensive. I'm replacing my milk/cream intake with the coconut milk. Coffee isn't tasting too bad actually, but I can see that my coffee intake will definitely go down. Brandt is flatly refusing to change his cream in coffee for anything else, but I don't expect him to. I'll just have to keep both variants now, or I have to change to @Tanktimus the Encourager's way of drinking it black. Time will tell.

Otherwise I'm basically going back to limiting processed foods and preservatives as much as possible. The boys still have some of their omega 3 fish oil chews left, but I got extra for Brandt and myself, as well as vitamins that contain especially A, B's, C, and E. And then selenium and other minerals, but their one cereal contains some of it also, so I think it might just be the vit.C and vit. E and omega 3's that are needed.

We'll try to get on track this week, then cut out what we can while in Sabie for the weekend (without causing irritation because we're being otherwise again), then come back and put some real effort into this change. I'll look through the Banting recipe book "Raising Superheroes" to see what I can put together as a menu plan to follow.

----------------------------------

I was also a little annoyed last night (and this morning) about a comment on our shooting club's whatsapp group. They've mentioned a couple times that the group is only there for making arrangements with the club, or for notices about a new gun law or such action that will affect the members. Some people though post all kinds of jokes or false news texts that are going around. Last night was again a false news article w.r.t. Australia's gun laws and how it didn't lower crime rates. I commented that it was false news and shouldn't be put on the group. This morning the person asked me why I said it was false news, because "a policeman from Australia sent it out last year". I shortly gave him the facts. Of course admin of the group came on then and warned both of us that this was our last warning, and we'll be removed from the group if we continued with these comments! I didn't react on any comments after that, because the only reason I reacted in the first place was to point out it was false news, and shouldn't have been put on the group in the first place! I don't know why I placed that first comment anyway. I normally mumble to myself and ignore those posts. *mumble mumble*

• Like 3