elizevdmerwe - ElizeElvinFoxRyder >>> 7

Mrs Van

On 6/22/2019 at 7:14 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Anyone done elimination/exclusion diets before? Recommendations? Ideas?

I did .... about 12 years ago.  We were doing great.  Even hubby was on board, and I felt a lot better.  We simplified meals a lot so that I could avoid the foods I wasn't eating but hubby and daughter could eat what they liked.  So, we'd have a very basic meat and veggie dish.  Sauces on the side, and anything with gluten was also on the side.  With three of us, it was manageable for a while.  

But, sorry to say, we gave up because nothing was life threatening .... and trying to read the fine print on everything ended up being too stressful.  If the symptoms had been worse, I'd have stuck with it, I think.  

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Sorry about the facebook experience. That does sound very unfair.

For the elimination diet, I think you have done a lot of good thinking already. I also switched to black coffee a year or two ago. It took some time, but now I don't miss the milk at all. You've been thinking through some of the trickier aspects. Now it sounds like it will be helpful to think about some meals you can make that don't require the eliminated foods. Rice and potatoes could be good starches if you are trying to avoid both wheat and corn.

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 6/22/2019 at 8:14 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Anyone willing to logically run through some options with me? Because my mind is blank at the moment. I just see this mountain, instead of smaller goal steps to reach the healthy eating, no reactions, better skin and health for Rocco - goal.

I've gone through this with my son.  We did the Feingold diet and I also had hair analysis done which shows you what intolerances you have rather than picking up allergies.  I would be happy to to chat about this with you!  Since we are linked on FB we can message back and forth if you'd like.  Sometimes I think the reason we go through hardships is so that we can help others navigate the same thing. I'd be happy to share. 

• Like 2

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

On 6/24/2019 at 12:00 AM, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

But, sorry to say, we gave up because nothing was life threatening .... and trying to read the fine print on everything ended up being too stressful.  If the symptoms had been worse, I'd have stuck with it, I think.

That's where we were two or three years back. As we saw that the boys had cake at parties and didn't vomit or get asthma attacks, we slowly allowed them more gluten in their diets, but it was really only this last 6+months that we basically fell back into eating bread almost every day (to every day these last 2 months), as well as things like normal pasta instead of gluten free pasta, etc. The GF products are just about three times the price of normal products, and in our town you struggle to find totally GF bread in shops. Rye bread, or bread made with sour dough and special (wheat) flour that hasn't been bleached or treated, yes, but very seldom GF bread.

And Rocco's situation isn't life threatening, but the marks on his arm and legs look bad, sometimes itch, and they get worse at times, never fully going away anymore. With me it is bad sinus that leads to post nasal drip and bronchitis, and of course fish nearly closes my throat. But I hate treating the symptoms and not the cause.

On 6/24/2019 at 3:35 AM, Xena said:

Sorry about the facebook experience. That does sound very unfair.

I'll just make sure that I don't ever react on the group again. The owner of the club, who is also the admin on the chat group, is usually very nice towards Brandt and me. He has supported and helped me many times at club shoots. I probably should have taken the discussion off board, but then the other people won't learn why that particular message is false news, and will continue to post it. It was annoying, and yes, felt unfair, but I'm not going to break my head about it. It happened. Someone hopefully learned to check their facts before posting things, and I got a slap on the wrist. Lesson learned.

Brandt went to an engineering place last week Thursday, and he found they had a small indoor pistol range at the back of their property! They said we only have to pay a nominal fee per person per time, then we can go and shoot there for a couple hours. And it is in town, maybe 15min away from the house! If we take into account fuel money and extra time spent driving to our current club and back, then we would be saving a lot of money going to this place that is close. Also, on days that the boys don't want to shoot, they can safely stay at home, as we won't be away for three to four hours as is normally the case. We'll see how things work out.

On 6/24/2019 at 3:35 AM, Xena said:

For the elimination diet, I think you have done a lot of good thinking already. I also switched to black coffee a year or two ago. It took some time, but now I don't miss the milk at all. You've been thinking through some of the trickier aspects. Now it sounds like it will be helpful to think about some meals you can make that don't require the eliminated foods. Rice and potatoes could be good starches if you are trying to avoid both wheat and corn.

:) I just can't get myself convinced at this stage to go totally black on coffee! I got Rocco to eat brown rice with a saucy beef mince (and very finely chopped vegetables) 'stew' the other night. Up till now he hasn't put his mouth on rice. He also doesn't like potatoes other than in the form of crisps or chips, but we'll get there. When we were previously off gluten we went off starches like these too. So I'll just bring them in as a small side at dinner time, maybe something for lunch.

Both boys like having a set idea of what happens when, so for now it is a cereal in the morning (7am-ish), then their food in their lunch boxes from 11am on wards, maybe a fruit or two during the afternoon, and I start cooking dinner around 4pm, to be ready by 5pm. So I think it is basically swapping out breakfast cereals for GF ones; then swapping sandwiches in their lunchboxes for GF alternatives along with the other things in there, and we only had pasta as a side once or maybe twice a week for dinner, so that isn't too bad.

It feels a lot more manageable. Thank you.

Reedbuck

image.png.ad961fd15e61ade6a5d357facf0fc217.png

Someone in our neighbourhood had gone hunting (legally! Reedbuck above) and he is selling all kinds of cuts for really low prices. I bought 3 packs of 4 each butterfly venison chops from him last night. He is now also making me some venison sausage (boerewors) that won't have any gluten/soya filler, just venison and pork meat, with a bit of pork fat. So these sausages will also help to fill in lunch boxes from time to time.

On 6/24/2019 at 4:29 PM, Lightning said:

I've gone through this with my son.  We did the Feingold diet and I also had hair analysis done which shows you what intolerances you have rather than picking up allergies.  I would be happy to to chat about this with you!  Since we are linked on FB we can message back and forth if you'd like.  Sometimes I think the reason we go through hardships is so that we can help others navigate the same thing. I'd be happy to share. 

The doctor said that the only tests done for intolerances here, are the pin prick ones, either on the person's back or one arm. And he wasn't very enthusiastic about their accuracy, so that is why I opted to rather cut out food. Thanks for the offer, I would really like to chat about it, at least to hear how it works and see whether we could maybe manage it.

I agree with you on the hardships, but also so that we could have empathy when we realise others go through the same difficult situation.

-------------------------------

Not much happening. I was at first going to continue with school work this week and next, although it is school holidays for school going kids. But when I discussed with Brandt and told him that we are up to date and how well the boys are doing in most areas, we decided to also take a proper school break. So the boys and I are off these two weeks ! :D  It feels funny not to do school work in the morning, and not really having other things to fill up all the time either. I keep thinking that I'm missing or forgetting something. So I also don't really have an excuse for not getting to things, except that when I sits, I sits and sort of just... relax and then forget what I should be doing.

But I sent the final tax certificates that I received from policies and medical aid, etc. to our accountant today. This is really dragging on. I did a lot of cooking, so that there are extra meals for Eric when he has to house sit for us this weekend (need to have breakfast and one plate of food per day for him), and I'm not sure what else. The normal chores around the house, and I finished laundry yesterday. The rest of the day draws a blank.

Oh and Missy, our German Shepherd X is 12yrs old today! Last year she was diagnosed with a serious back condition, which seemed to have stopped. The vet said last year that we'll be lucky if she is still here with us this year, but she is here, and as I mentioned in a previous challenge, her blood test results came back clear! She is so healthy and fit, from the results you wouldn't say she is an old lady at all! So I gave her a couple extra treats today, and extra scratches behind the ears, and said Thank You for still having her with us. Here she was lying in her basket underneath my desk.

Missy17-Feb2019.thumb.jpg.0e710105b42d696e75062bcf0f2920a0.jpg

• Like 4

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Glad Missy is doing so well. I have only had deer sausage once in my life, when I was a little girl, but I loved it. As a little girl ( who watched a lot of Disney movies) I was against hunting, but once I tried the deer sausage, I decided hunting was a good thing.:smile-new:

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Glad Missy is doing so well. I have only had deer sausage once in my life, when I was a little girl, but I loved it. As a little girl ( who watched a lot of Disney movies) I was against hunting, but once I tried the deer sausage, I decided hunting was a good thing.:smile-new:

Missy took total advantage of the extra treats. :D I got a lot of nose pushes from her whenever I was in the kitchen.

Neither Brandt, nor I like hunting ourselves, but we sure like the meat. We agree with controlled hunting, and in natural areas where the game has a chance of 'beating the hunter', and not canned hunting where the animal is in a small enclosure or half drugged. With controlled hunting they make sure that there are enough animals, they are not endangered species, and yes, they are treated, and looked after well. We'll have the first pack of chops tonight.

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Venison is incredible. It makes the best jerky. I'm glad Missy is healthy!

We've had some kudu and eland biltong (jerky) and drywors before, and yes, it was great! I do however like something with a bit more fat. White meat is good for you ;)

I'm so glad that Missy has no symptoms or any illnesses left. The vet is still scratching her head about this one :D

------------------------------------------------

Brandt's mom has decided that this year we'll all have to take a ride on the new Toboggan ride that has opened in the mountain pass close to Sabie, where she lives. I don't know whether you guys remember, but last year she took us all to the Graskop Glass Lift, which we enjoyed. This photo is from the Toboggan place's website.

image.png.a070a330fa1a6df007d88a7b56cf1ddd.png

There was also an add on our HS email for fencing. I'm taking the boys for the first lesson, which will only be in July, so that they can see what it is like. Rocco is of course very excited, while Adam says "nah". We'll have to see how that goes. It is close enough to our area, and I don't have to traverse road blocks, road building projects, or other frustrating situations like this (touch wood, cross fingers, cross toes...).

fencing.jpg.bb98d5ef82cddb85601387d1ee8684fa.jpg

I have some errants to run in town today, and then have another book to proof read. I did a "secret project" book for this author last week, which is part of another "surprise" project she has for her readers (of which I am one). I'll have to finish it before tomorrow evening. We'll be leaving for Sabie on Friday morning early (5am-ish), and will only be back Tuesday night. I won't have access to a computer while there :( so will only be able to chat tomorrow still and then when we come back. I'll put a new challenge together in the mean time, ready to 'launch' then.

Hope you guys have a great weekend!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

White meat is good for you ;)

Language question: what do you mean by "White Meat"? In U.S. English it either refers to Chicken or Pork (in the 90's there was a marketing campaign that tried to list pork as "the Other white meat"). 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

44 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Language question: what do you mean by "White Meat"? In U.S. English it either refers to Chicken or Pork (in the 90's there was a marketing campaign that tried to list pork as "the Other white meat"). 

The same here. We refer to chicken and pork as white meat, but some steadfast red meat eaters stick to the "white" meat on biltong (the fat is very white on dried meat), as their "white" meat of choice. So in this instance I referred to the fat on the biltong/jerky as "white meat", joking a bit with everything from real white meat, to doctors and health news, and steadfast red meat eaters.
Lame joke, but... *shrug*

image.png.cc82194310e000af059783ec3eb5e221.png

-----------

I got my cell phone! My phone cut out when someone called me this morning. When I spoke (face-to-face) with Brandt and mentioned it, he said to go to a shop in the mall and buy the phone. Almost anyone who might phone us over the weekend, either w.r.t. looking after the house (Eric, neighbours, community patrolmen...) has my number, as Brandt's whatsapp doesn't work anymore (and he hardly answers his phone if we are away from the house, anyway). And if Brandt and I are not together somewhere over the weekend, and my phone cuts out, and I need help or something... So he sent me to the shops as his first client's cheque was paid in, and told me to buy the phone even if it was R200 more expensive. So I obeyed my husband ;):D
Yah for a new cell phone! It's busy charging, then I'll have to remove the sim card and mini-USB from the old phone, I think? I do this so seldom I'm not sure what to do actually?

• Like 4

On 6/27/2019 at 1:34 AM, Xena said:

Don't know the answer to your question about what to remove, but am happy you got a new phone!

Thanks, I got it done. Had to cut a little to change my mini sim to a nano sim, but it is working. There is a huge difference between the old Windows operating system of my previous phone, and this new Android.

-------------------------------

So we left for Sabie around 5h30, hit the highway around 5h45 and about 5 min. later Brandt told me there was a problem with the car. It suddenly started overheating and revving high. We turned off at the next exit, which is a small town/neighbourhood not far from our house. Brandt had a look in the engine, but eventually we came home. Close to home everything seemed to be running normal again, but he is out now doing a test drive after checking (again!) coolant and electrics, etc. We might still go to Sabie with the Uno, but I'm not too happy about that. I know Brandt said there were some niggles after the last race he had, last Friday.

So if you don't hear from me again over the weekend, we went to Sabie.

• Like 3