• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hello Rebellion!

I decided to look closer on the forums. Start of 4 Week Challenge just popped. Coincidence?... Either way, as my dog would say -  this looks fun, I want to be included :)

I've already introduced myself in the right place, so I'll stick to the challenge here (yeah, right...).

Soooo, it was on my mind for quite the time, but I never had courage to try, or even think seriously about trying.

There is a series of events in Poland called Runmageddon. It's basicaly OCR like Tough Mudder or Spartan Race. I want to participate, but I realize my overall "fitness level" might be too low to survive this type of fun. So, I want to prepare myself for this.

That would be my BIG thing, long term goal - Next year Runmageddon. I know I need to work on running and overall endurance (right now I lose my breath after 100m jog). I'm already doing bodyweight exercises, so this area is covered. 

So, for this challenge, my goals are:

* Leveling my life - I need to start sleep consistently. My goal for now is to track my sleeping and clarify/note why I don't go to sleep as I should.

* Fitness - I need to get into running to learn to properly run (duh...) and boost my endurance. I will start learning from this article on my off days.

* Diet 1 - vegetable in EVERY meal (self explanatory).

* Diet 2 - I need to find a way to consume enough proteins (will explain below). 

Important stuff ends here. 

And now some background on those goals.

About sleep - I work Mon-Fri, some Saturdays, from 7am to 3-4pm. Waking up is easy - alarm clock at 5:50, no mercy. The problem is, even I know I need 7-8 hours of sleep I way too often go to sleep too late. There is a bunch of reasons and I need to get in control of gaming late/binge watching youtube videos/browsing imgur etc. 

I know I can let myself sometimes sleep less, but not too often. First step is identify the cause. We'll deal with it later.

Fitness - as tall and skinny dude (193cm/6'4'' and 80kg/176lb) in his late 30's I think I'm okay-ish,  but I want to be stronger,  look better and be overall more "antifragile" as Steve calls it. I really want to test myself in OCR, but I know I lack endurance - hence learning to run. 

Diet - I have already lost some kilograms (86 to 80 in a month), was tracking my nutrition, tweaking calories and macros, but I still didn't quite found a way to eat enough proteins. 

The thing is I eat three meals a day - lunch around noon, dinner at 4-5pm and dinner before 8pm. I skip breakfast partially because IF, and partially because my stomach has issues with eating early. Anyway, I tried to follow NF nutrition plan based on Paleo, but one thing is a total no-go for me. I will rather die than cut milk and diary. So, I threw NF nutrition out the window and just settled with eating real food, cutting sugar, snacks and carbs. I don't drink soda, so one less issue to fight :) 

I batch-cook my lunch for work (mostly chicken with some kind of vegiges), I control my supper (which doubles as post workout meal as I train in the evening), but dinner is another story.

In my home, my father cooks dinners. Me and my wife both have day jobs, so his help (not only with cooking - he picks kids from school, takes care of the house etc) is beyond any discussion. Problem is, his cooking habits are well deep-seated in olden days of soviet occupation (he grew up in times of cold war, when Poland was USSR's pawn), where literally everything but the vinegar was in deficit. So, he cooks very carb heavy, little to no protein etc. He still treats meat as luxury and vegetables as decoration. In this situation it would be best to take over cooking, but, well, day jobs... And I don't want to hurt him by rejecting his help. 

My problem is fitting those pasta/potato/groats meals in my diet. I try to max my protein intake with lunch and supper, but still it is only around 80-100g per day, and I aim at 160-180g as I strength train.

• Like 3

May 27th:

went to sleep at midnight - that means fail. Wife wanted to watch a movie after we put kids to sleep. 

workout (bodywieight) - done

vegie in every meal - done

protein intake - lunch-45g, dinner - 18g, post-workout supper - 49g - 112g total. Too low. 

I need to weight myself at saturday to see if my weight is stable, or is it still dropping. If dropping, that means I could allow myself some more calories - that would make some place to throw more proteins (some protein shake of sort maybe). If stable... Looks like it won't work without some dinner overhaul. But I fear it will end in some arguing etc. My dad is typical "dad" - he knows best...

• Like 2

Nice goals and looks like you are already of to a good start in terms of initial weight loss! 

Heh also recognize the "dad knows best part". My dad, though incredibly smart and well read, knows nothing about nutrition and is overweight yet he is fairly sure he knows more about it than me.

Keep it up, good start

• Like 1

May 28th:

went to bed before 11pm, that's a win. But couldn't fall asleep before midnight, so...? 50/50 on this one?

workout (run) - walked 1,8km

veggie in every meal - done

proteins - lunch 45g, dinner 20g, supper 36g - 101g total. Too low.

I hate lying in my bed when train of thoughts just roams through my head. Ugh. 

On the plus side - the walk was great, it was after the rain and air was soooo fresh :)

• Like 2

May 29th:

sleep - it's still today, will update tomorrow UPDATE: went to bed about 10pm, fell asleep soon after. 

workout (bodyweight) - done, plus extra 5min on elliptical to burn those two cookies I ate at my kid's academy in preschool ;)

proteins - lunch 48g, dinner 87g, post workout supper 49g - 184 total. Woohoo!

So, I cheated my way to amount of protein I'm happy about. And by "cheated" I mean I ate two dinners. Second one was at home and first was earlier, on my way from work. I grabbed a pack of grilled chicken breast and bag of tomatoes at deli store and shoved it down my throat. Feels a bit bad for doing this behind my dad's back, but... I don't want to argue with him, and I'm sure any conversation about nutrition will end with a fight like before. 

I'm happy of those extra 70g of proteins, but damn, I hate, hate, HATE cold chicken. Plus, it's about 2x the cost of raw chicken breast and had nasty seasoning. Need to tweak this solution.

Surprisingly, my calorie intake still remained below 1800kcal limit. Looks like I need start tracking my calories again because I tend to unintentionally under-eat. After all, this extra chicken was 370kcal...

Anyway, This is one way to overcome protein deficiency. My secret life of chicken devourer... If I don't lose my mind one day, I'll be bloody surprised. 

P.S.

I underestimated my proteins earlier. Forgot to add 3g from milk in my coffee at work. It doesn't change anything, but needed to clarify. 

• Like 5

May 30th:

sleep - I went to bed about 10pm, but again had trouble falling asleep for about an hour

workout (run) - walked 3.2km

proteins - lunch 90, dinner 27, supper 54 - 171 total. Nice.

I found fried turkey leg meat on a deli near my work and added extra 200g of it to my lunch, and there was a sale for smoked cod, so bought a bunch. With quark and some tomatoes did a great supper. I need to ask for a raise because of all this extra expenses on protein rich food ;) 

• Like 4

Why thank you kind sir. 

My avatar comes form Gerald Brom's graphic called "Lust for Life" if I recall correctly. So even it's name serves the cause. 

The attention is mutual, as I consider joining your Guild after this challenge is over. 

Cheers :)

• Like 2

May 31

sleep - I went to bed bit later than planned (about 11:15pm), because kept scrolling this forums... but got about 7h of sleep, so it's a win. 

workout (bodyweight) - done

protein - lunch 90, dinner 26, post workout supper 69 - 185 total. Nice.

My food was almost exact as yesterday, with little less cod on supper and addition of protein shake (1 serving) on milk right after workout. Totalled at 1809kcal, while still feeling like I'm overeating. Welp, we'll see what the scale has to say in the morning. 

• Like 5

My problem is - I know I need to get this 7 hours, else I'm... less than optimal mentally. But more often than not I just ignore passing time and binge browse Imgur or play games. I'm working on a habit to go to sleep no later than 11pm, to get my 7h of sleep. And the alarm at 5:50 is merciless :)

June 1st:

sleep - we'll see, I have still 10min before bed time :)  went to sleep 10min after bed time, but decided to sleep 30min more on Sunday. So I got my 7 hours :)

workout (run) - done

protein - lunch 51g, dinner 64g, supper 59g - 174 total. Will do.

Today I was in charge of dinner, so there was less carbs and way more meat and veggies. Did mini potatoes with something between Phyllo chicken and chicken nuggets (with different kind of dough), and lots of Napa cabbage salad. 

• Like 5

Sounds like you are getting a lot of protein so far. Another good source of protein is egg whites. Low calorie, lots of protein. Where I live they sell just egg whites in cartons without yolks, zero fat. I had a similar problem with not getting enough protein, I also did not get enough fat in my diet. What can I say, I love my carbs. (apparently a diet with too much protein can contribute to kidney stones though, so don't eat too much protein source: article on pubmed).

Pure egg whites are available here as well, but I can't think of a recipe how could I use them, other than cakes. Because I WILL NOT drink raw eggs. No, thank you.

And about "too much protein" - most sources say up to 2g per kg of body weight is still long-term safe, and for athletes, physical workers and pregnant women the safe amount is even higher, at about 3,5g/kg. I target my intake at just slight above 2g/kg, so I think I'm still on the safe side (because strength and running training). But thanks for care :)

June 2nd:

sleep - went to bed at 10:30pm, fell asleep around (or a bit after) 11pm. Browsed this forum all evening.. 

workout - none (SLOTH DAY)

protein - lunch 63g, dinner 30g, supper 32g - 125g total. Less, but taken I didn't workout today, it'll be enough. 

Yeah, I set one day a week for a total sloth day, no workout, no running training, just some everyday activities. Even so, I walked almost 5k of walks today. It was fun day - first me and my wife we took our kids to carnivorous plants exhibition, and in the afternoon I walked around forest with my friends from airsoft team (we had some things to discuss, so we made a "walking meeting"). 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, aramis said:

Pure egg whites are available here as well, but I can't think of a recipe how could I use them

I just fry them like scrambled eggs but without yolks. Sometimes I add tomatoes or sausage. I like it, but my mom hates it, guess it's not for everyone.

3 hours ago, aramis said:

And about "too much protein" - most sources say up to 2g per kg of body weight is still long-term safe

That's good to know. I'm trying to increase my protein intake, but so far it's nowhere near 2g/kg. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, harborcoat said:

did they feed the plants

No, this was only a show - with so many people feeding them, the plants would die of surfeit. 

But there was a stage where exhibitors showed how to properly care for such plants, and one could buy some fly-snappers at the show. We didn't bought anything, because our cats ate our last Sarracenia. It's a grim world :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eira said:

I just fry them like scrambled eggs but without yolks. Sometimes I add tomatoes or sausage. I like it, but my mom hates it, guess it's not for everyone.

Same here. I'll just make an omelette style dish or add various extras and make a scrambled mess out of it.

• Like 2

June 3rd:

sleep - again, I stayed up till 10:30pm surfing net. Then tried meditation, and fell asleep soon after 11 

workout (bodyweight) - done

protein - lunch 95g, dinner 30g, supper 89g 214g total. Oops, I went a bit overboard. But yesterday was below target, let's even this out, okay?

On 6/3/2019 at 1:32 AM, Eira said:

I just fry them like scrambled eggs

23 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

just make an omelette

Definitely going to try. 

• Like 4

214g of protein is an achievement and a half :D

And just outta curiosity, what do you do for your bodyweight training? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pecs said:

achievement and a half

Yeah, it's just me - first I struggle to get enough, and then I accidentally go overboard... sigh.

6 minutes ago, Pecs said:

what do you do for your bodyweight training

I put details in my daily battle log (link in my sig). Nothing fancy, for now it's learning to do pull-ups with added squats and push-ups. I did BBWW for about 6 weeks before.

My today's routine was:

warmup - 5min elliptical

3x5 assisted pull-ups

1x8 negative pull-ups (to failure)

3x circuit (15 squats with exercise band, 10 push-ups) - exercise band replaced with 35kg kid in place of barbell on first circuit (10 reps). We both had fun :)

streching - bit of dynamic strech, bit of yoga poses

• Like 6

June 4th:

sleep - went to bed before 10pm, fell asleep around midnight. Cause - insecurities kicked in and couldn't stop this rush of thoughts. 

workout (running) - done

veggie in every meal - done

protein - lunch 95g, dinner 30g, supper 58g - 183g total. On point.

Just realized I can make my protein shake on coffee - low cal as water, but delicious :D

[update]

All day was fine, training walk was nice despite heat (we have up to 30C/86F), but evening sucks.

Looks like I have lots of insecurities about my current... state? situation? hobby? The fitness thing. 

I try my best to encourage my family to eat healthier, my wife to take more care of herself, my kids to join in physical activities. But I'm constantly kept on my toes. If I push too much, it will end in argument.

And in worse days, anything from them concerning healthy eating, exercising etc sounds in my head like mockery. Even simple question "How was your training" turns in my head into "See, all your work is futile, there is no progress, you just wasting your time". Or my wife jokingly (I hope) asking if she should buy some SlimFast - all I hear is accusing voice "You think I'm fat, you don't love me, you want me to do something I don't want to", looks I get drinking protein shake - because it's something only juiceheads do. 

I know (I hope) it's only in my head, but that's not much consolation. And now I'm here whining about my imaginary problems, hoping for... I don't even know what. I'm just an attention whore right now. I hate what's inside my head on days like this... sorry

• Like 6

No need to apologize, this is your challenge thread and it's not supposed to be pleasant or beautiful all the time. We all have our struggles to face.

Also:

13 hours ago, aramis said:

Just realized I can make my protein shake on coffee - low cal as water, but delicious :D

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, aramis said:

Looks like I have lots of insecurities about my current... state? situation? hobby? The fitness thing. 

I try my best to encourage my family to eat healthier, my wife to take more care of herself, my kids to join in physical activities. But I'm constantly kept on my toes. If I push too much, it will end in argument.

And in worse days, anything from them concerning healthy eating, exercising etc sounds in my head like mockery.

hey, just the fact that you're being open and aware about this means you're taking steps to overcome it. noticing is so much of the work. 

• Like 2

It sounds like you are doing a really good job sticking to your goals in the face of a tricky home situation. Hopefully in a time the others will become more comfortable with the changes you are trying to make.

• Like 1

On 5/31/2019 at 7:09 AM, aramis said:

as I consider joining your Guild after this challenge is over. 

tenor.gif?itemid=10943486

Don't like cookies?? OMG

It's okay, we have other stuff too ;) 

• Haha 1