my body is a wonderland

greetings!

about me: i am lady from the upper midwest (i got that sweet sweet accent, you betcha) who lives a marvelously boring life after a lifetime of chaos. i love almost everything unless it sucks or is mean. i especially love animals, anything colorful, cussin', music, surrealist poetry, sleeping, video games, wine, brassicas, and cold weather. sunshine can suck it. 

why i am here: i am totally overwhelmed by what seems to be an inability to eat healthy or move my body. i've gained 35 pounds in 6 years (67kg/166lbs up from 59kg/130lbs on a 5"2 body) and my brain is constantly occupied with this fact, even as i eat so much peanut butter straight from the jar. (think marge simpson yelling "let me off let me off let me off" on the airplane.) i know how and why i gained weight. and i know that i am fighting an uphill battle since i was never in shape in the first place. i've never had a healthy lifestyle so i don't know what i don't know. you know?

i joined nerd fitness academy six weeks ago and haven't accomplished much. YET! now that i have found the forums i am determined to learn how to take care of my health and get fitter from all you fine people. i'm going to respawn and dive into the 4 week challenge and see what i learn. 

• Like 1

Right back atchya, harborcoat --- welcome to the Rebellion!

I am a newbie, too, so take my musings with a healthy dash of salt.  You sound like maybe you don't know why you eat the way you do; would keeping a food/emotional journal for a little while help you find triggers or habits that might be undermining you?  Food-wise, I fail to prepare for success; if you are the same, would mapping out exactly what you're going to eat for the next 5 days and doing the prep ahead of time help you?  And maybe you need to switch the obsession with pounds gained to an obsession with health: when you find yourself Golem-ing over those preciousssss poundssss, break the negative feedback loop by imagining yourself as a strong, kick-ass warrior.  Assume the Wonder Woman pose --- stand straight and tall, chin lifted, feet shoulder-width apart, hands on your hips.  Breathe deeply and imagine yourself running a 5k or working those weights.  Those pounds aren't the important thing; they're distracting you from the important thing: becoming the strongest, fittest, healthiest you.

• Like 1

haha golem is exactly what my inner monologue is like! woof. right now i'm in the 4 week challenge and one of my goals is to eat my meals at the same times every day. i tend to graze all day and lose discipline as i go. i am hoping to create some sort of routine that my body can expect to eat at a/b/c times. but i think you've nailed it with meal prep and journaling. i am crap at logging food but i ought to give it an honest try. :) 

I think you should look at what you're snacking on and eating. 

If you could get something that kept you full, then you might be snacking less. I'd suggest you start snacking on vegetables. Basically I tell anyone who wants to try my veggie tubs to bring it. I don't think they'd get too far trying to eat them up, since I take a day to finish the tub and I'm quite the veggie monster. 

• Like 1

The veggie tub is the tub filled with vegetables. To make a veggie tub, you'll need 322 g of cauliflower and 80g of brocolli and around 20 g of sweetcorn(or you might want 20g of sliced carrot), and a large onion.

Chop the onion into bits, then fry the onion until it starts to turn brown, add in the stalks of the brocolli and cauliflower and fry them till partially cooked, then add in the brocolli and cauliflower and add half a teaspoon of salt and one tablespoon of spicy Terriyaki sauce and fry until they're cooked. You can make several tubs by scaling up the vegetable amount used. 

Here:https://www.jayagrocer.com/product?variant_id=8210

Failing that, substitute the spicy teriyaki sauce for light soya sauce and sprinkle some chilli flakes over the vegetables instead. 

20190505_173609.jpg

greetings!

about me: i am lady from the upper midwest (i got that sweet sweet accent, you betcha)

My people! (Don’cha know?)

Getting into the habit of standard meal times is a great goal! (One that I may steal in the future.) I am a grazer by nature too, so I try to keep little things around (carrots, cherry tomatoes, etc) that I can grab a few and keep on going. I know for me sometimes that “I think I’m maybe hungry” feeling is part boredom, for lack of a better word - so I try water or tea first. If I’m still feeling it after, then I’m actually hungry.

Welcome aboard!!
  • Like 1
On 5/29/2019 at 3:43 PM, Mortimer said:

If you could get something that kept you full, then you might be snacking less. I'd suggest you start snacking on vegetables. Basically I tell anyone who wants to try my veggie tubs to bring it. I don't think they'd get too far trying to eat them up, since I take a day to finish the tub and I'm quite the veggie monster. 

Mortimer? I love your veggie box recipe! Going to make myself a variant. 

Also... I've just bought a bag of apples to put PB on because I, too, eat spoonfuls straight from the jar... And calorie counting (RESEARCH! YEAH!) has revealed that that stuff is lethal! Hoping that dipping apple slices in it instead will fill me up and make that jar last longer (which might mean I can afford a better quality PB, too.)

~Halo

EPIC QUEST: To travel the world, writing, teaching and performing.

CURRENT QUEST: finish the darn PhD. (Deadline, Dec 2019)