• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shotokan

Shotokan forges ahead

The last challenge went very well.  I put in a lot of time and made more progress than I expected but at the same time, I learned that I have a few more things to improve on.  I was able to get in a lot of kata but I need to narrow the focus to better quality not just quantity.  The core work went well too but again, it needs a little adjustment and maybe some other work to get me to where I need to be.  I still need to start blogging again and I need to find my creative soul that seems to be missing. 

Kata - 35 quality Shotokan katas per week and 20 Iaido katas per week

With only six weeks left until the tournament, my kata focus needs to narrow to quality not quantity and still be at the top of the list. 

Core work - 3 times per week

The core workout has been working well but it needs a little extra to keep me improving.  I am cutting down the days from five to three but I am going to increase the sets.

Supplemental training  - 2 days a week

DDP, weights, band work or flexibility training are in this part and I think it will enhance  my other training.

Blog posts - One a week

I have been very far behind on my blog posts and setting the bar low on this might help raise it higher.

Shotokan Kata - 0 / 140

Iaido Kata - 0 / 80

Core work - 0 / 12

Supplemental training - 0 / 8

Blog posts - 0 / 4

Week one day one:

I did get some good training in over week zero but I take it a little easier than the weeks before it.

Today was five quality katas and they did feel good.  I am starting to put everything I gained into each kata and today was really positive.  Before the katas, I did a simple db complex routine that had six simple movements along with some light farmers walks after each complex.  I need to add another one or two movements to the complex but it felt pretty good.  I also did a new hip routine that I found and look promising and I might use it as a finisher each day.

Shotokan Kata - 5 / 140

Iaido Kata - 0 / 80

Core work - 0 / 12

Supplemental training - 1 / 8

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 1

Week one day two:

Tuesday was a really good Karate class.  Lots of kicks, punches and even some elbows was a great workout along with 10 katas.

Week one day three:

Today was a the dumbbell complex along with the core workout and four katas.  

Shotokan Kata - 19 / 140

Iaido Kata - 0 / 80

Core work - 1 / 12

Supplemental training - 2 / 8

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 1

So what defines a "quality" kata from not? Is there snap and explosiveness in it or is there something else?

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 9:24 AM, Kishi said:

So what defines a "quality" kata from not? Is there snap and explosiveness in it or is there something else?

Quality kata, to me, has more focus on all parts of the kata. 

Speed, rhythm, kime or power, focus and technique.  For example, I often do katas slow with little power to train only the technique to develop muscle memory or fast with little power to work my speed or power with less focus on technique. 

Quality kata to me has all parts put together as if I was examining or competing.  I spent the last few months working on all the parts and now I have to put them all together.  I have to do fewer total katas in a training session when doing it this way because I am emptying my tank much fast and my technique start and speed starts to drop off if I try to do 20 katas.  I might only be doing one warm up kata and four or five all out katas in 10 minutes but I burn the same calories and raise my heart rate higher than when I do them the other way.   Since I still want to work the areas that support my kata, this training gives me time to do some weights and DDP that will supplement my kata work.

It's much like off-season and pre-competition training for other sports.  Many athletes spend time in the off season building up whatever areas they are lacking in and then they spend the last six weeks before an event putting everything together.  

I hope that makes my madness sound a little less crazy. 

• Like 1

I haven't had much time to update my workouts here but I have been training. 

Over the last few days, 28 katas, 10 Iaido katas, two core workouts and four supplemental workouts.  The katas are really starting to feel good and my endurance, power and speed is really coming along well.  I don't remember every moving as fast as I am now and my body is going from loose to tense to loose again better than ever.

Shotokan Kata - 47 / 140

Iaido Kata - 10 / 80

Core work - 3 / 12

Supplemental training - 6 / 8

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 1

Week two day three:

Today's workout went well although the katas weren't as good as yesterday they were still decent.  My lower back is a little weird but I really did push it with the katas yesterday and I have noticed this in the past.  Today was the db complex workout and four katas.  

Shotokan Kata - 52 / 140

Iaido Kata - 10 / 80

Core work - 3 / 12

Supplemental training - 7 / 8

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kishi said:

Eek, watch that lower back. Maybe some yoga to cool it down?

I don't think it's anything bad just a little tight for some reason.  The katas the night before were all out and then the dumb complex with the deadlifts might have made it even tighter.  I was a little tight tonight but it got better after some DDP Yoga.

• Like 1

Week two day four:

Today was two DDP workouts, a short 10 minute warm up along with a 20 minute core workout which help loosen my lower back.  Only two katas today and one felt really good so I kept stopped after that one.

Shotokan Kata - 54 / 140

Iaido Kata - 10 / 80

Core work - 4 / 12

Supplemental training - 8 / 8

Blog posts - 0 / 4

Week two day five:

Today was five kata day.  I'm a little stiff for some reason but the katas felt decent overall.  Lots of moving at work today might have made me tighter than normal so I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Shotokan Kata - 59 / 140

Iaido Kata - 10 / 80

Core work - 4 / 12

Supplemental training - 8 / 8

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 1

Week two day six:

Lots of working out.  25 Iaido katas as a warm up, five Shotokan katas and two DDP workouts.  I had some catching up to do and it went well.

Week two day seven:

A good amount of Karate training today working on some basics and five Shotokan katas.  

Shotokan Kata - 69 / 140

Iaido Kata - 35 / 80

Core work - 5 / 12

Supplemental training - 10 / 8

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 2

Lots of workouts in between my last post and today.  I'm a little behind on the Iaido katas and blog posts but everything else is moving along. 

Week four day one:

Today was DDP core along with five katas and some band work for the hips.

Shotokan Kata - 114 / 140

Iaido Kata - 35 / 80

Core work - 10 / 12

Supplemental training - 13 / 8

Blog posts - 0 / 4

• Like 1

Daily training is cool, but I have to admit, it does get in the way when it comes to doing other things like writing. Martial Arts in particular scratch both the training and artistic itches, so it's hard to find a way to doing other artistic things when you dedicate so much time to the one.

Or at least, that's my finding.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 12:46 PM, Kishi said:

Daily training is cool, but I have to admit, it does get in the way when it comes to doing other things like writing. Martial Arts in particular scratch both the training and artistic itches, so it's hard to find a way to doing other artistic things when you dedicate so much time to the one.

Or at least, that's my finding.

That is very true.  Training has been taking the front seat for over 10 weeks but during the last few weeks of this challenge, I toned it down a bit.  My body was starting to argue with me and it was time to turn the focus to kata and mobility.  The creative part has been tucked away very deep but it's starting to poke it's head out.

• Like 1