Battle Log: Eira vs stuff

Dear Battle Log,

I tried the 4-week challenge a couple of times, but I had a very hard time with it. I think maybe 4 challenges is too much for me, and I should start slower. So I am trying again, but this time with just one challenge.

I saw this 8-week training program to run 5k, but the problem is it starts by running 1 mile on the first training day. Unfortunately I got even more out of shape recently (stupid finals), and I'm not sure I can safely run even just 1 mile at this point. I know I can walk it, and run about 1/4 of a mile, but really not sure about running a whole mile. I know, this is really sad, considering that I ran 5k a few years ago. Anyway, this program recommends a 4-week to 1 mile training program for beginners or those like me. When I saw it,  I realized that maybe I need something like this. Not just for running, but for the 4-week challenge and maybe other things in my life too. Baby steps. Start slow. 

So here is my plan.

1. I will start with the 4-week-to-1mi  training. I can respawn if I fail.
  2. When (not if!!!) I complete step 1, I will run 1 mile about 3 times a week until I am ready to proceed to step 3. 
  3. Then I move on to the 8-week-to-5k training. If something goes wrong I can go back to step 2.

If all goes amazingly, I could spend 4 weeks on step 1, 2 weeks on step 2 (last week of step 1 is just running a mile 3 times a week, which is basically my step 2. Really it would be more like 3 weeks on step 1, then 3 weeks on step 2). Then 8 weeks on step 3, and I would complete this exactly by September,1. If all goes super amazingly I could even run in a local 5k race in the beginning of September! (and qualify for the Olympics lol). On the off chance that everything does not go super amazingly, I will give myself time until the end of the year, then reassess. Even if I end up completing only step 1 I will count it as a success.

• Like 1

Well, it's not your fault, so I wouldn't count it as a fail, rather as a... unexpected delay.

Get well soon *gives you a colorful balloon*, and hit the road again :)

If it's "flu-type" sick, besides everything else get some chicken broth. I know I sound like my grandma, but it actually works miracles. 

• Like 1

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

On 5/31/2019 at 1:05 PM, aramis said:

*gives you a colorful balloon*

Thanks! :D 

On 5/31/2019 at 1:05 PM, aramis said:

If it's "flu-type" sick, besides everything else get some chicken broth.

Do you know why you're supposed to eat chicken when you get sick? I heard it's because it has lots of antibiotics lol. Jk, idk why it works, I just really wanted to tell this joke.

I'm still sick, don't know if I'll be in running shape by next week yet. 

Great joke! *slow clap*

But seriously - I think it works because it hydrates you (while it's not diuretic like tea), is easy on your throat, has some nutrients (fat and proteins). And tastes great, so it is great for your mood.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Today was such a productive day! Today I:

Applied to 2 jobs!  (Expectations=0, but  I really made a good effort on the coverletter.)

Did the first day of the first step of my training plan!  (Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day, and I feel OK, hopefully I won't get sick again.)

Ate >70g of protein

Stretched

Finally reached that person I was trying to contact over the phone for like a week

Success! :D Now I just need to basically keep doing all the same things and more for the rest of my life, lol. Except when I'm on vacation.

• Like 1

Yesterday was meh. I only did like 1.5 productive things. It was a rest day, so I did not run or walk, but I took my bike instead of a bus, so I got a little bit of physical activity at least.

Protein: >80g

Stretching: yes

ExcelExposure: no

Running/walking: rest day

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Eira said:

Running/walking: yes

Yay! Keep the momentum! 

And on the rest days, biking is great idea. Do something physical, it really helps to keep the mind on the target. 

Cheers :)

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Week 1 of part 1 is done! I ran/walked 3 times this week. I had 2 rest days instead of 1 this time though, because I went  out of town on the scheduled rest day, and it was exhausting. I spent over 2 hours going where I needed to go, and then on the way back I decided to go to the library, but it was closed, so i wasted some time. It was also very  hot that day, so I decided I need to give myself an extra rest day. Plus, I had to run to the bus a few times on the rest day, so it does not really count as rest day anyway. So much rationalization haha. 

Protein: 75-85g in these last 2 days, I can't remember the exact numbers right now, but it was in that range.

Stretch: yes both days.

Homework: kicking my butt.

• Like 2

Week 2 day 1 is done! This week is run 200m, walk 200m, repeat until total is a mile. This is going pretty well. I went to the gym early today, and I was not feeling tired immediately afterwards, but about an hour after leaving the gym I felt very sleepy. I wonder if it was because of running, or if I just woke up too early today.:confused::sleeping:

• Like 1

I heartily encourage the running. Something I want to do once I lose a bit more weight. I tried a couple days ago and stopped. My excuses were:This is bad for my knees, this is bad for my ankles, this is bad for my hips.  The actual reason was I could feel my flab jiggling with each step and my ego grabbed my dignity and a bottle of Jack and won't come back out.

• Like 1

Look me up!  MapMyFitness       MyFitnessPal       Fitbit

11 hours ago, MrUgly72 said:

I heartily encourage the running

Thank you! Encouragement really helps a lot.

I kinda feel bad for not commenting on other people's threads lately, but I am kinda overwhelmed with some personal stuff right now :(

11 hours ago, MrUgly72 said:

My excuses were: This is bad for my knees, this is bad for my ankles, this is bad for my hips.

Running is a high impact activity, it can definitely be bad for knees. When I started trying to lose weight a few years ago I was so heavy and out of shape that I could not run. I started walking instead, and I think it helped me lose some weight and get in better shape. I heard that walking is actually better exercise than running, since it's low impact, but it's still cardio and you can make it as intense as you want. 

• Like 2

Thank you! I start the new job next week, I am kinda nervous.

Week 2 of walk->run training done! The last day was harder, because the day before I ate lots of ice cream and a giant "sushirrito" (a sushi made in the size and shape of burrito). It was very good and way too big.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Eira said:

"sushirrito"

Suddenly, I am hungry. Any idea why? :D

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Eira said:

sushi was created in the perfect size, and anything bigger is a bad idea

Have you heard of futo-maki? It's traditional XL version of most common hoso-maki (sushi rolled in algi). Maybe it was this.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

OK, I find myself defeated. 

Would eat anyway :D

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler