• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian trains like a Jedi

18 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Friend tends to overplan RPGs to the point that they never happen, so I'm trying to sell her on Fate since it lends itself to handwaves and improv. :) (We once spent 3-4 hours in a session making characters -- I was asked who my PC's last three exes were, for example -- and then we never got around to a first actual game session.)

Hahahah. I hope the exes were for a Scott Pilgrim style plot line.

I have never played a game on Fate, but I've always wanted to and my friends who run games with it love it. My own games tend to get hand-wavey but encouraging my players to improv more can be hard. I think they find comfort knowing there ARE a lot of rules behind them for when they feel stuck.

46 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Pond. Ghosts are wireless

I HAVE A RELEVANT SONG (that I love) FOR THIS:

2 minutes ago, raptron said:

Hahahah. I hope the exes were for a Scott Pilgrim style plot line.

I'LL NEVER KNOW

I have never played a game on Fate, but I've always wanted to and my friends who run games with it love it. My own games tend to get hand-wavey but encouraging my players to improv more can be hard. I think they find comfort knowing there ARE a lot of rules behind them for when they feel stuck.

Fate's a lot of fun. It's way less tactical wargamey than D&D, and much more character-driven. You can choose things like "smuggler with a heart of gold" or "last scion of the elf-king's line" or whatever, and they actually have an impact on your rolls and how the game runs, and they directly influence the plot. (I'm guessing you know this, but maybe other people are interested.

I was in a Fate game a couple of years ago (Dresden Files) in which my character's toughest battle involved no spells slung and no guns drawn: it was a polite dinner hosted by an elderly Old Southern aunt, and the entire conflict was me trying to make good with the wealthy family and failing. She beat the shit out of me and I left with "Not the Right Sort of People" as a consequence on my character sheet for the next session or two.

I HAVE A RELEVANT SONG (that I love) FOR THIS:

*headbobbing* yesss I like. I repay you with Schaffer the Darklord:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

hmm... does anyone know of any kind of actual play podcast of a Fate game? I have zero experience with it and am intrigued.

23 minutes ago, sylph said:

hmm... does anyone know of any kind of actual play podcast of a Fate game? I have zero experience with it and am intrigued.

I've been listening to Rollplay Nebula Jazz on Youtube, which is hilarious and fun. All the players are new to Fate, so there's a good bit of natural chatter about how the rules work.

https://youtu.be/m6Q05wpCk7Q

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I've been listening to Rollplay Nebula Jazz on Youtube, which is hilarious and fun. All the players are new to Fate, so there's a good bit of natural chatter about how the rules work.

https://youtu.be/m6Q05wpCk7Q

Thank you, sir.

• Like 1

Okay, let's check in on fitness --

Karate class last night, as noted. I counted how many push-ups I did in the course of class, then finished up my daily 30 afterward, so proud of myself. I asked instructor for a green belt form video, had my camera set in the wrong mode, so ended up with two photos of him instead of a video. Will have to ask again tomorrow.

Kickboxing followed by karate class has left me in need of a rest day. I realized an hour ago that it's only (?) 75F out, so I took a mile-and-a-half walk around downtown. Counted my daily meditation for the mini-challenge. Still have to remember to do my push-ups tonight.

Our TV gave up the ghost this week, and we have a brand-new big-ass TV with built-in Roku waiting at home for me to set up when I get in from the grocery store (and do meal prep). Surprise loot?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I asked instructor for a green belt form video, had my camera set in the wrong mode, so ended up with two photos of him instead of a video. 

Hahahah.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I asked instructor for a green belt form video, had my camera set in the wrong mode, so ended up with two photos of him instead of a video. Will have to ask again tomorrow.

This is amazing.

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Are they at least good photos? :P

They are fine? But they aren't a lot of help with learning my next belt form. :) I'm going to have to ask for another one -- was trying to do so after class last night, but there were a couple of new people he was dealing with, so I figured it could wait until next time.

SO. As noted, karate class last night. I did my push-ups *before* class so I wouldn't have to cope with them afterward. Noting to self: even after only a week-ish work on this goal, they are getting easier, and the sole reason I'm keeping them up daily is because of the accountability of setting this goal.

New TV arrived with a broken screen. SECOND new TV arriving today. 

cbcfbeac0ab556fb-star-wars-tlj-press-tou

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

cbcfbeac0ab556fb-star-wars-tlj-press-tou

This gif is dope. And don't you love when something you plan and follow through on actually works. :biggrin-new:

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 10:57 AM, Asa Pond said:

This gif is dope. And don't you love when something you plan and follow through on actually works. :biggrin-new:

Yeah, baby. 

Thanks to Habitbull I remembered to do push-ups before bed last night; the streak continues. 

New TV is finally set up and in place. Good Omens looked glorious on it last night.

I feel I broke the spirit, if not the letter, of the "no vending machine snacks" law, when I took one of the Twix that someone at work brought in. But even Luke had moments of weakness.

It's a dead day at work today (most of my dept is out, to the point that boss canceled our departmental meeting today), so I will try to get UPDATE: got to the gym for some cardio. Pride 5K is next weekend.

105bf0b947a002693dd4c61649dcab8c.gif

^ cardio

• Like 4

Today's report:

Kickboxing class done (with push-up goal achieved in the first ten minutes of class).

Have spent the afternoon running errands: recycling old propane tank, shipping off broken TV, buying groceries. Pizza dough is in the bread machine, I have meditated, and I'm hoping to do nothing else productive today aside from cooking said pizza. (There's a Greek salad to go with it.)

Tomorrow some LARP writing, and it's D&D night -- we're getting close to wrapping up the campaign before I split for three weeks in Thailand and Hong Kong.

• Like 3

On 6/10/2019 at 9:09 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

Why yes, I do want to go to this professional conference

Yrylyc9.png

OOOOO. YES! 

On 6/10/2019 at 4:09 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

Why yes, I do want to go to this professional conference

Yrylyc9.png

:lol:

On 6/8/2019 at 11:17 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

Tomorrow some LARP writing, and it's D&D night -- we're getting close to wrapping up the campaign before I split for three weeks in Thailand and Hong Kong.

NICE!

15 hours ago, Manarelle said:

How was the Pride 5k? The D&D thing sounds awesome, any chances you'll get to go? 

Hey, thanks for nudging me. I've dropped off a bit, more about which below.

The run was a lot of fun. We were late getting there and were in place literally about 2 minutes before the starting gun was fired (by a fabulous drag queen). Ms Rogue walked; I ran, and I did a creditable time, for me. I beat my usual time on the elliptical by 1 minute/km, despite having to stop to walk for a minute a few times in the second half. The weather couldn't have been more perfect; it was surprisingly not hot and not muggy for Atlanta in June. I finished almost exactly in the middle of the pack, 250ish out of 500ish.

63b3Fl1.jpg

The D&D thing is a library conference I've been to a few times over the years and have liked a lot. I find it hilarious that they're doing a D&D theme this year. I have requested money to go; I won't find out for a few months.

So, last week felt like a flop, but I pulled it out from complete failure right at the end.

Workouts, only 2/3. Work projects, going okay. Pushup goal, still at 100% and I'm feeling improvements. (I *think* maybe I'm seeing improvements in my chest too, but I'm a middle-aged white man and we tend to think we look better than we actually do.)

Mental health stuff from last week, ahoy.

Spoiler

LARP writing is playing shitty hell with my anxiety. I am wishing I hadn't agreed to work on this, or I wish I weren't being paid for it so I would feel less pressure about it, or I wish people weren't paying to attend, or something. I am procrastinating about it and then I feel bad about procrastinating, and so on. I did get into it yesterday afternoon and finally got into a little bit of a groove and made some progress. It really bothers me that I find writing so stressful, because generally speaking it's something I'm good at, and it used to be something I could take more enjoyment in.

I am working on it. I'm giving myself permission to just do ten minutes at a time and then bail out and relax, I'm pushing myself to talk to other GMs and work on stuff collaboratively so I'm not feeling like I have to do everything myself. 

I totally bailed on karate classes last week for no other reason than I was just feeling stressed out and anxious and didn't feel up to interacting with class. (Even though I know for a fact that physical exercise always helps dissipate my anxiety and depression when it rears its head.) I'll go back tonight.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

The run was a lot of fun. We were late getting there and were in place literally about 2 minutes before the starting gun was fired (by a fabulous drag queen). Ms Rogue walked; I ran, and I did a creditable time, for me. I beat my usual time on the elliptical by 1 minute/km, despite having to stop to walk for a minute a few times in the second half. The weather couldn't have been more perfect; it was surprisingly not hot and not muggy for Atlanta in June. I finished almost exactly in the middle of the pack, 250ish out of 500ish.

Still made it before the gun, and grats on beating your elliptical time. Sorry to hear about the mental stuff; is that rooted in impostor syndrome, or something else entirely? 

13 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Update: Karate teacher wants to do a Good Omens cosplay with me

!!!!! Please please please post pictures. Loved the book, love the series, would love to see the cosplay. 

Here's to a less stressful week for you.  

AHHH, yes to Good Omens cosplay! And yay for your 5k and nice weather.

Sorry you're having a lot of brain weasels about writing for the LARP. That dang imposter syndrome. Can you trick yourself into pretending you're writing it for something else? 

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Still made it before the gun, and grats on beating your elliptical time.

I feel pretty good about all this. Lovely day. :)

Sorry to hear about the mental stuff; is that rooted in impostor syndrome, or something else entirely? 

That's my secret, Cap. 

Sorry you're having a lot of brain weasels about writing for the LARP. That dang imposter syndrome. Can you trick yourself into pretending you're writing it for something else? 

Brain weasels is apt. I'll get over it, or through it. I have strategies, but unfortunately they all take *work*.

!!!!! Please please please post pictures. Loved the book, love the series, would love to see the cosplay. 

2 hours ago, raptron said:

AHHH, yes to Good Omens cosplay! And yay for your 5k and nice weather.

Unfortunately this is the first year we're not going to Dragoncon, so this is purely hypothetical. I promise to alert you all if and when.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 12:28 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

I'm a middle-aged white man and we tend to think we look better than we actually do

hahaha, so true :D 

• Like 1