• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Machete

Machete Getting It Together

So I've been in my house for about 3 months now. The boxes are still packed, the garage is a mess, and I have no idea what my family has been eating, because I don't seem to recall any meal prepping on my part. I've been getting lost in never-ending yardwork that I forget to do the things that need to be done first. I'm on one or two meals a day, and one of those meals is usually a sugary breakfast. I think I can count how many times I've used my new shower. The dishes never seem to be clean, ever. You get the picture.

@sarakingdom suggested I get back into it; we usually seem to have similar goals of trying to keep up with adult life. @Toshimi also appears to be in a similar predicament, and they're both using the idea of just clocking-in and out when one cleans. Spending 5 years in the Army, I am very familiar with working to time, not to standard, and although this seems to be frowned-upon from a productivity standpoint, right now any activity is better than productivity.

The Shit List

I've compiled a rough Shit-I-Have-To-Do List, which I'll be updating as we go. It involves basic adult stuff that I should theoretically have figured out by now, but I have not. If anyone has any suggestions to add (particularly parents of teenagers) they would be very welcome. I'm trying to be a good example to my kid and lead from the front.

I Live My Life 20 Minutes At A Time

Image result for toretto

I get overwhelmed by seemingly insurmountable tasks, and the 20-minute idea seems to be the best bet here. I'll have to train myself to drop what I'm doing, which will probably be a good skill to have in time management.

Pirate Maps

This is a concept I've been interested in and will be working on as more of a side quest. For a coach guiding people towards success I personally spend an awful lot of time winging it. Haha

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Machete said:

The Shit List

I've compiled a rough Shit-I-Have-To-Do List, which I'll be updating as we go. It involves basic adult stuff that I should theoretically have figured out by now, but I have not. If anyone has any suggestions to add (particularly parents of teenagers) they would be very welcome. I'm trying to be a good example to my kid and lead from the front.

I am requesting access. Because I am nosy and I have experience with teenagers (okay, I have teenagers, experience doesn't matter at all). 

Also, as always, I'm glad you are posting again. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Machete said:

although this seems to be frowned-upon from a productivity standpoint

I'm not sure that's true; the pomodoro method and Unfuck Your Habitat are both in favor of short time blocks and breaks. Time blocking is a fairly respected strategy. So you can rest easy. :)

I'm getting some of my shit together this way: twenty minutes of shit that has to be done daily, and twenty minutes of shit in a different zone of the apartment every weeknight, plus twenty minutes in every zone on weekends. This way, I know I'm not totally ignoring some of my shit.

With teenagers, maybe twenty minutes of meal prepping together, so the meal becomes pretty straightforward on the day of. And eventually, you can just turn it over to them when you need to. IMO, teenagers can basically do the stuff you can do, just less efficiently and not for as long, cuz homework and whatever, and not so much with live electricity or power tools. But Sunday can be family box day, and they can unpack one box per week and you can do two. Or whatever. Repairs and yardwork may realistically be you, but all that other stuff is fine for twelve and up. They can make a salad and throw stuff in the oven, or make a packed lunch for everyone on an assembly line. They can run the washing machine or fold the clothes. Or unpack a box and take stuff to the right room. Or vacuum.

Another good way to train teenager skills (I don't have them, but I periodically supervise a lot of older teenagers) and get buy-in is to work on them with the planning. Sit down and ask them how much time is reasonable for them to pitch in with the family, given their commitments. Ask them what the high priority jobs are from their point of view, and which ones are easiest for them. Lay out in front of them all the jobs that have to happen to keep the house and family running, because they genuinely may not know what those are, and work on dividing them up, drawing some happy medium between learning to do everything and regularly doing the things they're most efficient at. Everyone needs three meals a day, sleep, dishes washed, clean and folded laundry once a week, the house given a basic clean on some moderately regular basis, groceries purchased, repairs made, yardwork, etc. Some jobs may go faster or be more fun with two people or the whole family. Another option: write all the jobs on slips of paper in roughly half-hour segments, and everyone picks some at random.

Also, yardwork is genuinely endless. Reserve it for weekends. Do other stuff with weeknights. Robot vacuums are surprisingly helpful. So are slow cookers and/or instant pots and/or rice cookers, anything you can literally walk away from. Have stuff you can start even when you have no idea what to make, like start the rice cooker and then decide what there is to eat. Make tons of leftovers, so you have meals to grab and heat up on short notice (or go on your default rice). Cheese and fruit is a valid meal. (I'm stressing the meals here, because breakfast cereal once a day for three months is not good self care, and managing to feed yourself would be a good start on the adulting. On really bad days, hydration and food is my minimum bar, followed by sleep.)

• Like 4

Good to see you back Machete!  20 minute chunks of work sounds perfect - but maybe you need to start out telling yourself that a 5 minute chunk is OK too once in a while.  I struggle to finish tasks unless I have large chunks of time, but I tell myself I'll do just 5 minutes of whatever task I need to do.  Typically after 5 minutes I realize that spending the next 15 minutes on the task will often complete it.  So I use that 5 minutes to just get me started...  And now this conversation has helped me to figure out what my challenge goals need to look like now.  THANKS! 

Life is a crazy mess most of the time and teenagers can help!  I have a teen and a pre-teen.  This summer I have given them everyday tasks (dishes), weekly tasks (laundry and cook a family dinner) and they need to exercise.  They have opportunities to help with other decluttering and organization tasks.  And as we sell excess stuff they will get a portion of the profits.  I'm trying to motivate them into becoming responsible humans, which is so very hard!!!  Good luck!

• Like 2

Good to see you back! 

On 5/28/2019 at 9:03 AM, Machete said:

I get overwhelmed by seemingly insurmountable tasks, and the 20-minute idea seems to be the best bet here. I'll have to train myself to drop what I'm doing, which will probably be a good skill to have in time management.

This has been me for the last few months. I have noticed in the last week-ish it has helped, and instead of saying something is too big to tackle (since I haven't made the time to do it all at once) just a little at a time has made a huge difference. 

I don't have kids to deal with, but the slow cooker has been great for me on weeks where both my husband and I are home late. We have a few go to recipes we really like, I'd be more than happy to share if you'd like. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 12:03 AM, Machete said:

Pirate Maps

This is a concept I've been interested in and will be working on as more of a side quest. For a coach guiding people towards success I personally spend an awful lot of time winging it. Haha

I had never seen this before but I like the Shark Bites strategy.  I doubt I would be able to implement it in my own life, but I like it in theory... :D 

• Like 2

On 5/28/2019 at 1:06 PM, Sylvaa said:

I am requesting access. Because I am nosy and I have experience with teenagers (okay, I have teenagers, experience doesn't matter at all). 

Also, as always, I'm glad you are posting again. 

Done.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:35 PM, sarakingdom said:

I'm not sure that's true; the pomodoro method and Unfuck Your Habitat are both in favor of short time blocks and breaks. Time blocking is a fairly respected strategy. So you can rest easy. :)

I'm getting some of my shit together this way: twenty minutes of shit that has to be done daily, and twenty minutes of shit in a different zone of the apartment every weeknight, plus twenty minutes in every zone on weekends. This way, I know I'm not totally ignoring some of my shit.

With teenagers, maybe twenty minutes of meal prepping together, so the meal becomes pretty straightforward on the day of. And eventually, you can just turn it over to them when you need to. IMO, teenagers can basically do the stuff you can do, just less efficiently and not for as long, cuz homework and whatever, and not so much with live electricity or power tools. But Sunday can be family box day, and they can unpack one box per week and you can do two. Or whatever. Repairs and yardwork may realistically be you, but all that other stuff is fine for twelve and up. They can make a salad and throw stuff in the oven, or make a packed lunch for everyone on an assembly line. They can run the washing machine or fold the clothes. Or unpack a box and take stuff to the right room. Or vacuum.

Another good way to train teenager skills (I don't have them, but I periodically supervise a lot of older teenagers) and get buy-in is to work on them with the planning. Sit down and ask them how much time is reasonable for them to pitch in with the family, given their commitments. Ask them what the high priority jobs are from their point of view, and which ones are easiest for them. Lay out in front of them all the jobs that have to happen to keep the house and family running, because they genuinely may not know what those are, and work on dividing them up, drawing some happy medium between learning to do everything and regularly doing the things they're most efficient at. Everyone needs three meals a day, sleep, dishes washed, clean and folded laundry once a week, the house given a basic clean on some moderately regular basis, groceries purchased, repairs made, yardwork, etc. Some jobs may go faster or be more fun with two people or the whole family. Another option: write all the jobs on slips of paper in roughly half-hour segments, and everyone picks some at random.

Also, yardwork is genuinely endless. Reserve it for weekends. Do other stuff with weeknights. Robot vacuums are surprisingly helpful. So are slow cookers and/or instant pots and/or rice cookers, anything you can literally walk away from. Have stuff you can start even when you have no idea what to make, like start the rice cooker and then decide what there is to eat. Make tons of leftovers, so you have meals to grab and heat up on short notice (or go on your default rice). Cheese and fruit is a valid meal. (I'm stressing the meals here, because breakfast cereal once a day for three months is not good self care, and managing to feed yourself would be a good start on the adulting. On really bad days, hydration and food is my minimum bar, followed by sleep.)

I was thinking more philosophically, like using a spoon to dig a hole rather than a shovel, but I don't think I'm at a point yet where I'd rather lollygag and tell myself I did something rather than just doing something. 

On 5/28/2019 at 5:17 PM, Terra said:

Good to see you back Machete!  20 minute chunks of work sounds perfect - but maybe you need to start out telling yourself that a 5 minute chunk is OK too once in a while.  I struggle to finish tasks unless I have large chunks of time, but I tell myself I'll do just 5 minutes of whatever task I need to do.  Typically after 5 minutes I realize that spending the next 15 minutes on the task will often complete it.  So I use that 5 minutes to just get me started...  And now this conversation has helped me to figure out what my challenge goals need to look like now.  THANKS! 

Life is a crazy mess most of the time and teenagers can help!  I have a teen and a pre-teen.  This summer I have given them everyday tasks (dishes), weekly tasks (laundry and cook a family dinner) and they need to exercise.  They have opportunities to help with other decluttering and organization tasks.  And as we sell excess stuff they will get a portion of the profits.  I'm trying to motivate them into becoming responsible humans, which is so very hard!!!  Good luck!

On 5/29/2019 at 5:11 PM, Toshimi said:

Good to see you back! 

This has been me for the last few months. I have noticed in the last week-ish it has helped, and instead of saying something is too big to tackle (since I haven't made the time to do it all at once) just a little at a time has made a huge difference. 

I don't have kids to deal with, but the slow cooker has been great for me on weeks where both my husband and I are home late. We have a few go to recipes we really like, I'd be more than happy to share if you'd like. 

Honestly about teenagers, I was thinking of mostly myself, because I feel like I'm about as clueless. Like what are the life skills that teens are expected to have? It's a low bar to set, but I've found that I don't even brush my teeth every day; I'm kind of a mess. And yes, it will definitely help with parenting my own teen, but leading by example first might be a more effective way of starting out. Haha

What kind of food do you make in the slow cooker? When I'm able to make food we're usually good, but I just forget most of the time.

On 5/29/2019 at 6:27 AM, Devlin said:

Following. That tnation article on pirate maps and shark bites is brilliant going to be taking that on board myself.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:50 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I had never seen this before but I like the Shark Bites strategy.  I doubt I would be able to implement it in my own life, but I like it in theory... :D 

Yeah, I'm thinking of shark-biting some things. Like right now I deal with mail as I get it (to avoid the overwhelming stacks), and I make my bed as I wake up. Right now I think my pirate map is personal hygiene. Floss, brush, shower, take meds.

On 5/30/2019 at 2:45 PM, Kishi said:

Oh hai

Welcome back. We missed you. :)

I've been here. Just creeping. 

Image result for little nicky jon lovitz

• Like 4

That is a great article. I love the shark bit e strategy. Too often , people text or email me and I think I need to answer that later and then forget. Open the email, then answer. Bam-done

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 1:25 AM, Elastigirl said:

That is a great article. I love the shark bit e strategy. Too often , people text or email me and I think I need to answer that later and then forget. Open the email, then answer. Bam-done

Yeah, that's my whole thing--stuff piling-up that it eventually becomes overwhelming. It would have been better to deal with it earlier rather than later.

=============================================================================================================

Busy Sunday. Took some stimulants, stayed hydrated, and got to work. I've been deliberating investing in a self-propelled mower since I have a mechanical one, but I think I enjoy the sun and the cardio. Anyway I mowed the lawn and cut some branches off the overgrown tree for gods know how long. Then my favorite pastime of leaf cleanup. Grocery shopping, made dinner, cleaned the fridge, took out the trash. And I got some podcasts in.

ClearClearImage result for somehow i manage

Being a shitty manager, I'm going to lay down the hammer and start setting weekly quotas. (Monthly, I'll probably procrastinate, and end up overwhelmed and not doing anything.) So for this week my specific tasks to finish would be:

[x] Last month's expense report

Image result for the office accounting

[  ] Sort out mess of papers in the living room

Image result for the office warehouse

[x] Burn yard trimmings

Related image

[x] Meal prep before Wednesday

Related image

For the rest, I just want to keep my shark habits with mail and the bed, and to try to be 7/7 on personal hygiene. (I came into work one day smelling like a forest fire.)

• Like 4

On 6/1/2019 at 7:54 PM, Machete said:

What kind of food do you make in the slow cooker? When I'm able to make food we're usually good, but I just forget most of the time.

Cheater pork stew from nom nom paleo is one of our main go to's.

Pork shoulder or chuck roast are my favorites that I do quite often.any cut that has some fat is good, also don't worry about some of the tougher cuts, the long slow cooking will better break down the connective tissues that make them tough. So this can be a cost saving thing too, tougher cuts normally are cheaper, so win on both things.  I'll just start them in the morning on low with just some garlic salt. by the end of the day you have meat that can be used for a lot of different things. I'll use them for the week on salads, tacos, in eggs, or anyway you might just want some.

Also if you do chicken pieces, thighs turn out way better than breasts. Thighs can cook all day without drying out. 

depending on the veggie will depend on if you want to put it in all day. Some do alright, others turn to mush. Leafy things (other than cabbage) I'll add 20-30 mins before eating. This includes things like Chards and Kales. Spinnach you can add right before you eat. 

you can also dump a thing of salsa in with it if you want a Mexican flair. Or sprinkle curry on it, then add coconut milk at the end before you serve. 

Here is my pin board of one's I've tried, I also need to get back to trying recipes I've found that look good too. 

On 6/3/2019 at 2:35 PM, Toshimi said:

Cheater pork stew from nom nom paleo is one of our main go to's.

Pork shoulder or chuck roast are my favorites that I do quite often.any cut that has some fat is good, also don't worry about some of the tougher cuts, the long slow cooking will better break down the connective tissues that make them tough. So this can be a cost saving thing too, tougher cuts normally are cheaper, so win on both things.  I'll just start them in the morning on low with just some garlic salt. by the end of the day you have meat that can be used for a lot of different things. I'll use them for the week on salads, tacos, in eggs, or anyway you might just want some.

Also if you do chicken pieces, thighs turn out way better than breasts. Thighs can cook all day without drying out. 

depending on the veggie will depend on if you want to put it in all day. Some do alright, others turn to mush. Leafy things (other than cabbage) I'll add 20-30 mins before eating. This includes things like Chards and Kales. Spinnach you can add right before you eat. 

you can also dump a thing of salsa in with it if you want a Mexican flair. Or sprinkle curry on it, then add coconut milk at the end before you serve. 

Here is my pin board of one's I've tried, I also need to get back to trying recipes I've found that look good too. 

Interesting. I'll have to break out the crock pot. Do you make them in the morning before leaving? This has me very interested. I do love pork.

On 6/4/2019 at 5:33 PM, Kishi said:

Chili's a good thing to make in slow-cooker as well. And what's neat about it as a concept is that you can make it to spec and portion it out in accordance with your goals. I've tried this recipe with great success, and it can be modified for a slow cooker as well.

Related image

39 minutes ago, Kishi said:

Yeah, it's been like that here too. Time, man. Where it go?

We are definitely being messed with.

Image result for doctor strange time stone gif

=============================================================================================

It feels like I've been spending a lot of time at work, but also not. I've had a few session cancellations, so that may have contributed. Rain prevented burning, and the dog had the shits and was dehydrated, so that was a pain. I did get enough sleep though. Expense report, I'm on right now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Got the expense report done after one solid caffeinated hour. It appears we spent a lot of money on department stores (probably yard stuff) and eating out.

Image result for expense report meme

Burning probably won't happen today because of the rain. Might just gather the wood.

Image result for wicker man gif

• Like 2

It's crazy how money looks like so much trouble until you sit down to deal with it, and then it's over before you even know it. Go figure, huh?

Got some sunlight today and I was able to do some burning after all, AND mow the lawn. Cool stuff. 3/4 since I missed the living room. Hygiene was only good at the start of the week. Dished piled up, so I'll have to do several loads. Did some laundry so I should be ready for the week.

Busy week coming up. Covering some shifts Monday and Tuesday. Kid's back so I'll have to prep some food. Tournament on Saturday.

The Week's Shit List

[  ] Living Room Papers

[  ] Finish Video course

[  ] Meal Prep 31 meals

I've also been on an extremely "dirty bulk" for a while, and my body is paying for it. I'm going to work on building myself back up by the end of July for IBJJF, starting out with the simple stuff.

Pirate Map

[  ] Protein for breakfast

[  ] One serving of vegetables

[  ] 2g of Fish Oil

• Like 4

On 6/7/2019 at 9:11 AM, Machete said:

Interesting. I'll have to break out the crock pot. Do you make them in the morning before leaving? This has me very interested. I do love pork.

If there's a lot of chopping I'll do that prep the night before so I can toss together in the crock pot in the morning and come home to dinner done. 

• Like 1

Been missing a few showers. This needs to be addressed. Flossing has a lower barrier so it's done more but still not enough. Just feeling really lethargic this week.

Image result for gif dirty

• Like 3

Can I suggest a weekend mental health mini challenge? I'd advise taking a weekend to sleep, eat well, hydrate, meditate, rest a bit, take a walk outside, repeat. I suspect you're kinda running on fumes. All this stuff will be there next week. Make sure your brain is.

Also, I might pick your brain for some workout ideas, cuz you know interesting stuff.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 6:25 PM, sarakingdom said:

Can I suggest a weekend mental health mini challenge? I'd advise taking a weekend to sleep, eat well, hydrate, meditate, rest a bit, take a walk outside, repeat. I suspect you're kinda running on fumes. All this stuff will be there next week. Make sure your brain is.

Also, I might pick your brain for some workout ideas, cuz you know interesting stuff.

I got an acute neck strain, along with some elbow pain, nagging shoulder pain, and the ever present finger pain bothering me, and I think that really affected my productivity last week. I could barely get up for 3 days. Then I did the tournament on Saturday, and despite it not being my first (or tenth) rodeo, I'm still waiting terrified. Once we were all weighed-in and corralled though I started talking with the two other guys I was competing with, and it relieved a lot of pressure. Anyway, lost both times again. I'll see what adjustments I can make for the actual tournament I'm prepping for, but at the same time two of my co-workers just quit, so I will have to cover a lot of shifts, which may mess with my training. But whatevs. I like money.

Constant rain has also been preventing me from addressing the yard, and I end up procrastinating on the other stuff.

I'll maintain and add to the shit list.

The Week's Shit List

[  ] Living Room Papers

[  ] Finish Video course

[  ] Meal Prep

I'm trying to make a shark habit out of the dishes so they don't keep stacking up.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Machete said:

I'm trying to make a shark habit out of the dishes so they don't keep stacking up.

I've got to do the same thing. Since I don't have a dishwasher, it's the only way to keep that situation managed.