• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JustCallMeAmber

JustCallMeAmber and the brain

When we last looked in upon the curly haired warrior, she was heading for Week 4 with little knowledge of the storm that was before her. Knocked down but not defeated, she sharpens her armaments and tightens her armor. In her eyes, a resolve that has been long-since forgotten shines forth once again...

*Phew* Ok, I'm back. I haven't done much more than lurk around these parts for the last couple of weeks. Many things happened all at once. Some bad (my poor Gramma slipped, fell and broke her hip. :( She's going to be ok, and she's getting a bit more mobile as she continues to heal. But, obviously that's going to take some time to mend.) Some good (finally got the eye appointment out of the way and my new glasses are on the way. I spent Saturday detailing my car. Only took 7 hours. So, knocked back my to do list. Made my first quinoa bowl, which I do believe is also the first vegan dish I've ever made. Yum! Oh and I also bought a new purse with cartoon cats and sushi on it because I'm an adult. :D) And in among that, work blew up and I sorta did too. ANYWAYS. Goals were forgotten, misplaced or abandoned. Everything is getting back to normal, so I'm ready for another round. Without further ado, here's what I've got in mind:

Bring some ferocity to training days. Remember when you first got started and you could hardly wait to get moving? Yeah, THAT is what is needed right now.

• Quit dawdling. Work towards shorter rest periods instead of having to cut out work at the end.
  •  Focus on THIS set, not how many are still to go, what lift comes next, etc, etc.
  •  Squeeze in extra upper body accessories wherever feasible. (Sun’s out, guns out and all.)

Be present. Even if it’s only for 5 minutes. I’ve spent a lot of time running endlessly from task to task, and to a certain degree that is a necessary evil. But a) those things can wait 95% of the time and b) that need not be one’s entire existence. It’s ok to just..be. No phones. No music. No TV. No retreating into sleep. I suppose we can call this mindfulness.

Push a little. Literally. I want to incorporate more pushups to, well, be better at pushups. (I’ve lost a little strength, so I’d like to get it back too.) I want to incorporate them a little at a time, so for this week we’ll be working on accumulating a total of 40 incline. Depending on how that goes, we’ll either aim for 50 next week, or lower the total and lower the incline.

I took a walk. So as it turns out, just taking 10 minutes out of my work day for a short walk helps me out quite a bit. For one thing, it eases the evening walk distance on days where I’m more pressed for time. For two, it helps me think when I’m working on a problem. I think having it as a dedicated goal versus just waiting til my FitBit reminds me to move would be better for me in the long run.

One thing I need to do a bit more poking around before properly goalifying is that I’d like to do some brain work. I was asked to help with some excel formulae recently and found I’d rather forgotten quite a lot of the maths I did in school. (Sad Amber is sad. I used to be good at this stuff lol). It would also be beneficial in a fun way to just do some crossword puzzles again. I haven’t sat down to do one in ages and I used to LOVE doing them every day.

Misc.

Don’t forget that the car is due for oil change/ tire rotation. Need to make sure the floofballs get at least a few minutes of exercise daily (that does not include Radar ‘helping’ me with yoga.) Need to update measurements, etc. Want to buy a swimsuit this summer, since mine have all died.

Rolling goals:

Daily Devo.

Daily Duolingo. Bonus points for doing both languages.

Daily Skin care.

Walking. 8,000 steps minimum. Bonus level: 10,000. 

#Yoga365 730 1095. Bonus level: 2 sessions/day.

giphy.gif

(I can probably be both. I'm just sayin'...)

• Like 4

Sorry about your grandma's fall! I hope she gets better as quickly as possible.

Ferocity is always a good goal. As are being present and doing pushups. Not sure about maths, though, I think it can be hazardous. Anyway, good luck! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sorry about your grandma's fall! I hope she gets better as quickly as possible.

Thanks! She is doing quite well, all things considered. Where the break occurred did not require replacement of the joint, so the theory is that will be easier to recover from. She's always been very active, so that will help too. :)

12 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ferocity is always a good goal. As are being present and doing pushups. Not sure about maths, though, I think it can be hazardous. Anyway, good luck! 

It should be interesting to see how much fire I can conjure / sustain over the challenge. (And moving forward, for that matter.)

Yes, the hazard conditions are probably about equal to the amount of clutter I have to dig through to find where I stored those memories. (My brain is less mindpalace, more rummage sale.)

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2019 at 1:33 PM, JustCallMeAmber said:

It would also be beneficial in a fun way to just do some crossword puzzles again. I haven’t sat down to do one in ages and I used to LOVE doing them every day.

Crossword style games are one of my favorite smart phone things. :)

Also, the thread title demanded this:

latest?cb=20100626003222

• Like 1

19 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Crossword style games are one of my favorite smart phone things. :)

Also, the thread title demanded this:

latest?cb=20100626003222

I do love a good word puzzle game. :) I've also got a big puzzle book on its way from Amazon for when I'm feeling a more pencil and paper mood.

giphy.gif

Also, Metroid/ Super Metroid references are welcome :)

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

so glad to hear things are looking up! good luck getting back into the swing of things

Thanks!! It's been an interesting start to the challenge. I spent half my day Wednesday running up and down the hillside getting asthma kitty to the vet and home again. (Who knew that cats get UTIs, and that the same meds that help treat her asthma also make her more susceptible to infection? I did not.) So another pill for her every day for 10 days. Fortunately she doesn't seem to be in pain, though I have to imagine she's uncomfortable, poor thing :(

In other news/weird-things-that-have-happened-lately, we spent a good part of our work day so far with no electricity. So, 1st two days of being on call while boss is on vacation saw me out of the office half a day, and twiddling my thumbs for a chunk of another lol.

giphy.gif

Oh, and I did get to check off one of my items; I bought a swim suit! :D

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Week 1 in review:

Bring some ferocity to training days. Remember when you first got started and you could hardly wait to get moving? Yeah, THAT is what is needed right now.

• Quit dawdling. Work towards shorter rest periods. And then coach programmed me 10s for deadlifts and 8s for squats. Whew. So this will be for accessory work, not the main sets.
  •  Focus on THIS set, not how many are still to go, what lift comes next, etc, etc. Check..ish..
  •  Squeeze in extra upper body accessories wherever feasible. Check!

Be present. Piece of mind or peace of mind. 5 min. 4/5. Did not do Saturday. (Or yesterday for that matter, but that's week 2 scoring.) But, it's also part of the mini so, we will be getting that done this week.

Moar pushups! Week 1 accumulating a total of 40 inclineCheck! Actually did better than I thought and got 58. Since these were predominantly sets of 10, I'm going to lower the bar to the next peg and see how that goes. Will aim for 40 again.

10 minutes out of my work day for a short walk. Check! Saving lives, this.

One thing I need to do a bit more poking around before properly goalifying is that I’d like to do some brain work. I was asked to help with some excel formulae recently and found I’d rather forgotten quite a lot of the maths I did in school. (Sad Amber is sad. I used to be good at this stuff lol). Hoping to research some resources this week.

It would also be beneficial in a fun way to just do some crossword puzzles again. Check! Completed a couple of puzzles :)

Misc.

Don’t forget that the car is due for oil change/ tire rotation. Need to make sure the floofballs get at least a few minutes of exercise daily (that does not include Radar ‘helping’ me with yoga.) Need to update measurements, etc. Check! Apparently my calves grew 0.25" since February. Dem gainz.B)  Want to buy a swimsuit this summer, since mine have all died. Check! Also took it for a test drive, with what seemed like the entire population of winged, stinging insects in the county. Good thing my new suit isn't fairly bright, bold colors with flowers. :rolleyes:

Daily Devo 7/7

Daily duo 5/7. Bonus: 5. Well, at least I consistently get both done when I do actually do the thing.

Skin care 6/7. It might've been 7/7 but I whiffed on logging a day of tracking, so, no proof = no points

Walking. 7/7. 8k steps 83 weeks straight. (Not to toot my own horn, but dang y'all. I never thought I'd be able to keep this streak intact this long.)10k bonus: 6.

#Yoga365 730 1095 . 7/7. Bonus 2. AHAHAHA. Made up for the walking by not doing yoga in the evenings :PDon't forget front split practice Nope! I lifted instead of running on Saturday since it was marginally cooler in the shade of the garage than in the sun. (I'd already gotten a little sunburn at that point, so, no more frying my skin like bacon.) 
giphy.gif

I feel like this is a pretty accurate representation of me, with the single caveat of needing 2 black and white cats, plus one white and black cat in addition to pictured orange floof. Plus a pupper of course :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I remember that! I miss that.

I need that too. Following for inspiration now, instead of just out of curiosity.

I'm late but I'm here! Love the idea of finding your ferocity again - I don't necessarily care if I get mine back for lifting, but I'm doing my darndest to find mine for dance again. :)

And love hearing that short walks are really helping at work - I'm trying to remember to take more of those as well.

21 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I remember that! I miss that.

I need that too. Following for inspiration now, instead of just out of curiosity.

I think we all start with it. It just loses some of 'oomph' once the shiny starts to wear off a little. But it's still in there somewhere. I suppose it's up to us to find it again.

Not sure how much 'inspiration' I can be, but here's a happy tune from this morning's playlist. I like warrior themes for some reason ;)

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I'm late but I'm here! Love the idea of finding your ferocity again - I don't necessarily care if I get mine back for lifting, but I'm doing my darndest to find mine for dance again. :)

And love hearing that short walks are really helping at work - I'm trying to remember to take more of those as well.

Hi!! I think you will! The kind of passion and enthusiasm you bring to your teaching and chosen sport can't stay hidden very long :)

Yes! The combo of getting a break to refocus, plus getting a little bit more time in the evenings has been awesome. Amazing what a difference such a small change can make :)

• Like 2

For inspiration and oomph, this remains one of my favorites:

Spoiler

Spoilered because Eminem cusses a lot :P

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

For inspiration and oomph, this remains one of my favorites:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoilered because Eminem cusses a lot :P

Yeah, I think that's still on there too. Along with this:

(Spoilered because silly YT will not resize itself to moderate levels.)

Spoiler

And also this:

Spoiler

..I guess I like my world on shuffle? :D

Ooh, one more that just came up :)

Spoiler

Now you've done it. Have you not noticed by now that I reflexively post music back at anyone who posts it first? :P

Spoiler

And of course:

Spoiler

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Have you not noticed by now that I reflexively post music back at anyone who posts it first? :P

Why, yes, I had notice that. That's how lots of new stuff gets added to my playlists! :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

How is present-ness and ferocity going?

Oh hai. I guess I never posted an update for this week, huh? Right, so uh, basically I died... and have been in the process of respawning. Thanks for checking in on me! I'll update below :)

• Like 1

Week 2:

• Quit dawdling. Work towards shorter rest periods. Ah, No..
  •  Focus on THIS set, not how many are still to go, what lift comes next, etc, etc. Check. I think this part was better.
  •  Squeeze in extra upper body accessories wherever feasible. Ah, No..

Be present. Piece of mind or peace of mind. 5 min. 4/7. Not awesome, but passable. Did figure out it's better to do this earlier in the day, so that's been in the process this week.

Moar pushups! Week 1 accumulating a total of 40 incline. Lowered the bar to the next peg, which as it turned out was the last one. BUT, tweaked my neck by trying to rep out 10 instead of doing more moderate number to keep good form. Rats! So we're being careful about things this week, since these have been part of my warm up.

10 minutes out of my work day for a short walk. Check! LOVING this.

One thing I need to do a bit more poking around before properly goalifying is that I’d like to do some brain work. I was asked to help with some excel formulae recently and found I’d rather forgotten quite a lot of the maths I did in school. (Sad Amber is sad. I used to be good at this stuff lol). LOLNOPE. More below.

It would also be beneficial in a fun way to just do some crossword puzzles again. Check! (Only managed one, but the point was to do the thing, not that I MUST do EVERY day.)

Misc.

Don’t forget that the car is due for oil change/ tire rotation. Need to make sure the floofballs get at least a few minutes of exercise daily (that does not include Radar ‘helping’ me with yoga.) Need to update measurements, etc. Check! Apparently my calves grew 0.25" since February. Dem gainz.B)  Want to buy a swimsuit this summer, since mine have all died. Check! Also took it for a test drive, with what seemed like the entire population of winged, stinging insects in the county. Good thing my new suit isn't fairly bright, bold colors with flowers. :rolleyes:

Daily Devo 7/7

Daily duo 4/7. Bonus: 4. Well, at least I consistently get both done when I do actually do the thing.

Skin care 3/7. Actually don't think I've managed this once this week though.

Walking. 7/7. 8k steps 84 weeks straight. 10k bonus: 2. Something something Walking Dead something.

#Yoga365 730 1095 . 7/7. Bonus 1. And I will say that Saturday's session was mighty short, to the point I probably shouldn't count it. But that's a very long streak that I'm proud of and I had good reason for not getting it in. :P Don't forget front split practice Nope! Not even a workout.

SOOOOOOOO... funny thing. We found out Tuesday that Grandma's insurance would not cover her entire stint in rehab. Researching option, best solution (and really, only solution) was that we move her in to our guest room. Whee. Guess who spent most of the rest of the week bordering on a nervous breakdown? This girl. ANYWAYS. Since she is able to get around somewhat with her walker, but she tends to drag her feet, we essentially had to granny-proof the house, in particular the bedroom which hadn't been remodeled in about 10 years since it's predominantly the cat's room. This included yanking all the furniture out, pulling up the carpet and underlying tile, putting down laminate flooring, installing trim that didn't get done on the last remodel, picking up and putting in a hospital bed, dresser and small recliner, and mounting a tv on the wall so she can watch her shows at her preferred ear-shattering volume. This all while we work full time. Groovy. Anyways. I think the uncertainty of having her across the hall from me (OMG WHAT IF SHE FALLS?!), plus the above mentioned emergency remodel, was just a little too much for my wee brain to handle, so I've been on low power mode between last Tuesday and well, pretty much today. Hence the deadness and respawning. I really shouldn't complain, though. My mom's staying with her during the day, so she's been in a worse state than I have. (We all had a good laugh at her yesterday, herself included. Apparently she pulled into Taco Bell and tried to order a Whopper combo. Whoops.) All that to say, it was quite a week. Glad it's over, and everyone's settling back into something of a routine. I'm working on bringing my sleep back up so I stop sobbing all over my barbell.

giphy.gif

^^Not yet to this level of swag. Perhaps once respawn is complete.

• Like 1

oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. long-term care in rehab or nursing homes are a HUGE hole in US insurance. it's quite ridiculous. Though you probably did have other options, the facilities put the fear and rush into family members to get folks out of there if it's possible they may not be able to pay at some point.

let me know if you ever have any questions or just want to vent. i've applied for every program under the sun for my dad, and still ended up with one I didn't even know existed. it's a madhouse. take care of yourself!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ahh, sorry about the stress with your grandmother. I'm sure you can cry on the barbell if you need to, that's what the equipment sterilising wipes are for :) 

So is your grandmother staying with you permanently, or just until she gets better? I'm angry for you that the insurance didn't really come through >:( 

• Like 1

Week 3:

• Quit dawdling. Work towards shorter rest periods. When I could, I tried my best. But some unscheduled rest periods were necessary too. At least I haven't been screwing around on my phone, or deciding I need to sweep out the squat rack mid-session.
  •  Focus on THIS set, not how many are still to go, what lift comes next, etc, etc. Check!
  •  Squeeze in extra upper body accessories wherever feasible. Not much got done here once again. But feeling better so far, so hopefully we can get back on this for week 4.

Be present. Piece of mind or peace of mind. 5 min. 4/7.*

Moar pushups! Week 1 accumulating a total of 40 incline. Last peg total: 30. Planned on getting the last of these done Saturday and whiffed. Oh well.

10 minutes out of my work day for a short walk. Check! LOVING this.

One thing I need to do a bit more poking around before properly goalifying is that I’d like to do some brain work. I was asked to help with some excel formulae recently and found I’d rather forgotten quite a lot of the maths I did in school. (Sad Amber is sad. I used to be good at this stuff lol). Abandoned for now. Revisit when I feel I've got some brain cells to spare.

It would also be beneficial in a fun way to just do some crossword puzzles again. Check! Actually nice just working for a few minutes on a puzzle to help me wind down. :)

Misc.

Don’t forget that the car is due for oil change/ tire rotation. Need to make sure the floofballs get at least a few minutes of exercise daily (that does not include Radar ‘helping’ me with yoga.) I haven't gotten them quite back to EVERY day, but much better than once or twice a week. Need to update measurements, etc. Check! Apparently my calves grew 0.25" since February. Dem gainz.B)  Want to buy a swimsuit this summer, since mine have all died. Check! Also took it for a test drive, with what seemed like the entire population of winged, stinging insects in the county. Good thing my new suit isn't fairly bright, bold colors with flowers. :rolleyes:

Daily Devo 7/7

Daily duo 4/7. Bonus: 4.

Skin care 3/7. Made a point to do Thurs- forward. Usually do in the morning, but routine was altered and this fell through the cracks (in my fingertips..)

Walking. 7/7. 8k steps 85 weeks straight. 10k bonus: 5. This was much better this week.

#Yoga365 730 1095 . 7/7. Bonus 3. Better here too. Hips are happier when I make the time too. Don't forget front split practice Nope! Did not run this weekend either.

*Note: I had 2 days were I logged zip/nada/nothing for all goals. Some stuff I can check, like steps from the FitBit app. But, I've just been using my phone timer, so no way to go back and check.

giphy.gif

Ok my nerds. I confess I had quite a rollercoaster of emotion so far through this challenge. I think the one thing I learned is that I do not react well to sudden change. At all. But as life has a funny way of doing that, we must adapt. Can't be going to pieces every time we have a little curveball thrown our way, right? (Major league fastballs, yeah, I reserve space for a mini-tantrum :P). Today's a new day, and here we are, so let's get some stuff done. And have some fun in the process, mmmkay?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. long-term care in rehab or nursing homes are a HUGE hole in US insurance. it's quite ridiculous. Though you probably did have other options, the facilities put the fear and rush into family members to get folks out of there if it's possible they may not be able to pay at some point.

let me know if you ever have any questions or just want to vent. i've applied for every program under the sun for my dad, and still ended up with one I didn't even know existed. it's a madhouse. take care of yourself!

Yeah, the hospital was actually worse about that then the rehab facility was. I think if they'd had their way, they would have shipped her out next day. Part of the problem was that they told Grandma fairly early on but they didn't tell us until mid-week how long the insurance would cover. And they would've been able to keep her longer except for the ah, kerfuffle, regarding co-pays. (That's the nicest word I could think of.)

giphy.gif

Thank you! That means a lot to me!  :) 

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ahh, sorry about the stress with your grandmother. I'm sure you can cry on the barbell if you need to, that's what the equipment sterilising wipes are for :) 

So is your grandmother staying with you permanently, or just until she gets better? I'm angry for you that the insurance didn't really come through >:( 

Thanks! So far the barbell hasn't complained too much about the extra salt water lol

She is supposed to stay at least until she's able to take care of herself again. She's getting more and more mobile, but she still has trouble lifting her injured leg on her own. So, until she can move around solidly on her own, she's bunking with us. That may be a few more weeks, or it might be a couple of months.  Time will tell.

You know the worst part of the whole insurance thing is that one rather feels like they hold all the cards, almost even over the doctor's say-so. It's scary.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

You know the worst part of the whole insurance thing is that one rather feels like they hold all the cards, almost even over the doctor's say-so. It's scary.

The one with the money usually does. :(

And the barbell welcomes anger, pain, frustration, and anything else you want to bring with you. It's one of the reasons we come back to it, over and over.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

it's so true. i just watched a call to action on healthcare professional "burnout" which the speaker relates the healthcare professional's morals back to their hands being tied by insurance companies. it's a mess. and it needs to change.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

it's so true. i just watched a call to action on healthcare professional "burnout" which the speaker relates the healthcare professional's morals back to their hands being tied by insurance companies. it's a mess. and it needs to change.

110% agree. Healthcare in the US is such an opaque market - you never know what anything's going to cost when you're making the treatment decisions (and often, your doctor doesn't know either), plus there are so many overlapping things to navigate that it's near impossible to know how to make the optimal choice for you or your family.

I dunno if this will help, Amber, but a strategy I've found some success with (that I need to bring back) is time-boxed venting / meltdowns. Like, I'll find a secluded room (or go to my car or something), set a timer for 5 minutes, and let the frustrations and whatever else come venting out, then collect myself and focus on solving the problem from the new curveball. Because a "don't lose your shit at all" strategy didn't quite work for me, knowing I'd have a time and place to let it all out really did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I dunno if this will help, Amber, but a strategy I've found some success with (that I need to bring back) is time-boxed venting / meltdowns. Like, I'll find a secluded room (or go to my car or something), set a timer for 5 minutes, and let the frustrations and whatever else come venting out, then collect myself and focus on solving the problem from the new curveball. Because a "don't lose your shit at all" strategy didn't quite work for me, knowing I'd have a time and place to let it all out really did.

Scheduled meltdowns in a safe and secluded place. Wholeheartedly endorse and recommend this.

• Like 1