Mortimer's battle logs.

OK I can think of those blackbeans as cumin laced beans and I guess I can live with those. I don't think many people could, though, but I'm notorious for eating next to anything. 

Morning snack:

A sesame cookie(sorry, new arrival in the pantry!) 

Did 1h piloxing, around 40 min les Mills body combat in the gym. 

Lunch:

200g tau kwa 

200g okra fried with onion and kecap manis

60g of black beans laced with a tablespoon of cumin and oregano

1 tomato

20g carrot

Should have taken a photo of the okra before I ate it, but I forgot =(

Np, will do it again next week just for variety of rotating vegetables. 

Okra: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okra

Kecap Manis: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_soy_sauce

My mom asked me to help her finish the bottle our neighbours gave, of course... 

Afternoon snack:

An orange that started growing mould(I have no idea how that even happened) - I threw out the spoilt part and ate the rest.

50g baklava (yes it was nice but also sinful as heck - also a new arrival in the pantry) 

I think if too many varieties of snacks appear in the pantry I really should NOT be sampling each one, even if I do have SOME ability to outrun my fork. 

Off for my evening run of intervals with the local running club. 

• Like 1

Dinner:

40g of pork belly with 200g of xiao bai cai

Yam and pork rib soup (90g of pork) 

Shrimp omlette

One tablespoon of brown rice. 

Breakfast today:

Cashew nut chicken zucchini boat

Cocoa cinnamon milk

Did 40 min les Mills body combat in gym 

Morning snack:

1 cup of fennel tea made from 1 tablespoon of fennel

18 cherries

20g baklava

Some pistachio sugar floss candy

Weights:

50 lb shoulder press(x5)

One legged squats (x5 per leg with pillar for support) - they kicked my arse ><

110 lbs deadlift 

10 push ups(I may start increasing to 11)

Jumping up then catching bar and holding for 15 secs before resting for another 10 secs and repeat for 15 secs! 

Chest press with bar+5kg

50 lbs clean and press (x4), one set was done at 40 lbs(x8) 

Single arm rows with 10 kg dumbell(x12) (12 kg one in used) 

1 min plank 

5 sets total, at 2 reps of my last set of clean and press, my right hip started aching so I decided not to try for 6 sets. 

Lunch:

60g of cumin laced Black beans 

1 tomato 

20g carrot

60g chayote

150g cauliflower

100g brocoli 

90g sesame chicken

• Like 2

Dinner:

150g cauliflower

100g brocoli

160g chickpeas 

2 tau kwa with 1 tablespoon Thai chilli sauce 

6 stuffed tofu puffs 

Then ran 7 km at about a 7min/km pace with another running group. Started grumbling some after it didn't count as 30 min of 70% heart rate to get the 100 points from AIA vitality.  

Getting my MVPA has always been something of a brick joke for me. 

I didn't want to push things as the last time I did 10 km(only once!) was in 72 min. And usually local groups sometimes tell you a pace, but run faster then that, so I wanted to leave myself some leeway lest I end up struggling to keep up. 

Supper:

75g jackfruit 

12 longans

• Like 1

Breakfast:

Cinnamon Macadamia milk

232 g of Jackfruit

Off to Les Mills body combat. 

Random musings: miscalculated my vegetable ration... Or not! Wait, I can fry/ blanch up some okras tonight - all I need is some chilli sauce. Yep, definitely not the end of the world. And I'll even have a new picture for it. 

• Like 1

Ran up the hill nearby (105m elevation) and back down during lunch break(30 min ish?) Fitbit said it was 31 degrees celcius but didn't feel like it since the hill is forested and shady. 

Also hill work really gets your heart rate up - reached 181 bpm. 

Lunch:

150g cauliflower

100g brocoli

60g of cumin laced Black beans 

1 tomato 

20g carrot

60g chayote

3 eggs (stole this from the local run group, someone was eating eggs after our run on Monday) 

Also discovered to my surprise that eggs + Thai chilli sauce =good! 

• Like 1

Supper:

15 longans

Also lunch tomorrow - okra stir fried with onions and sambal balachan chilli:

One onion, sliced

230g okra

1 tablespoon light soya sauce

1 tablespoon sambal balachan chilli

1 teaspoon salt

Fry onions until about to turn brown, then add okra and the rest of the ingredients and stir dry some more until everything is cooked. 

20190703_225647.jpg

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Mortimer said:

20190703_182005.jpg

At first sight, I thought it was chocolate covered pie. Looks tasty anyway :D

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Yeah that chopped garlic looks like peanut toppings. But again I'm on the other side of the world so my food looks very different. 

And it is tasty =) Only $5.90 because it was in the quick clear section. Was debating chicken or pork(the pork ribs were $4.90) then decided chicken as it looked like more meat. 

Breakfast:

375ml macadamia milk with cinnamon

3 eggs fried with spinach and cumin(next time I'll try frying the cumin first, then adding egg and spinach mix) 

18 longans 

Will post meals and workouts as they appear. 

• Like 1

Morning snack:

1 mango

Weights:

50 lb shoulder press(x5)

One legged squats (x5 per leg with pillar for support) - they kicked my arse less, I'll try to go lower 

110 lbs deadlift (x3) 

11 push ups

Jumping up then catching bar and holding for 15 secs before resting for another 10 secs and repeat for 15 secs. 

Chest press with 50 lbs barbell (I should increase to 60 lb soon...) 

50 lbs clean and press (x4) 

Single arm rows with 12 kg dumbell(x10) 

1 min plank

Then did 30 min of les Mills body combat. 

Lunch:

Dat fried okra with balachan chilli above, slightly less as I was passing my colleagues samples(it's the showing that eating healthy can be fun too thing) 

5 stuffed tofu puffs 

An orange

• Like 2

Breakfast:

Cinnamon cocoa milk

Lunch will be:

300g cauliflower

200g brocoli

60g cumin laced Black beans

1 tomato

60g chayote

Dinner will be:

150g cauliflower 

100g brocoli

60g chickpeas 

90g sesame chicken 

You know, I think ill save a pack of cumin laced beans for breakfast tomorrow, there was a slight miscalculation on the meal plan this week and I had to come up with emergency okras. Will see first though. If I get too hungry, everything gets scarfed. 

• Like 1

Oh dear. My colleague popped some beef lagsana and said she'd bin it if we couldn't finish it by today. Sure, I can and have done quite a bit of damage to it but hrmm... Beans should go for tomorrow's breakfast. 

Morning snack:

20 cherries

150g cauliflower 

100g brocoli 

4 stuffed tofu puffs

Quite a bit of beef lagsana. 

Did 1h les Mills body combat. 

• Like 1

My wife just bought some zucchinis. Guess who's stealing your recipes ;) 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Cool! Hope it turns out delicious! Which version are you doing? Depending on the size of zucchini in question, toasting on 30 min on skin side may be too long. Switch to 20 min if zucchini are smaller. 

OK, what really happened today:

Lunch:

150g cauliflower

100g brocoli

1 tomato

60g chayote

Quite a bit of Lasagna

Dinner is:

60g chickpeas 

90g sesame chicken 

I am headed to my HIIT session with some of us (including me) going early to do the "Bring Sally up, Bring Sally down", challenge =D

I think I can pull off the squat version, the push up version is hell(had to drop to knee push ups in the middle) and I don't even want to think about the pull up version=P

Leg raise I never tried so I have no idea. 

I am keeping 150g of cauliflower and brocoli as well as the cumin laced beans for tomorrow's breakfast. Too much food today as it is. 

Anyway eating the lasagna gave me inspiration. I should do some eggplant lasagna research in the future, making tomato sauce from scratch out of tomatoes. Or maybe I may not, and will do a lasagna without sauce. 

• Like 1

For eggplant, I prefer simplicity. I just cut it into quarter-to-half inch slices, smear a bit of olive oil, salt, black pepper and powdered garlic on both sides and grill them in the oven. When they are almost done, I sprinkle them with shredded mozarella and put under grill element to roast a bit.

And speaking of tomato sauce. 

My mom makes stuffed zucchini. You need big one (man's forearm for scale). Form boats, fill with rice, herbs and minced meat filling (or any other of your choice), close and secure with toothpicks, place in wide pot, pour in about half inch chicken or veggie broth, stew it in the oven at 110 - 120C for half an hour. Then pour in thick tomato sauce (you may thicken it with flour a bit) to cover about half the height of zucchini and put in the oven for another half an hour. You will get more sauce because zucchini's natural juice, so make sure you put very thick tomato sauce in - or you'll get tomato soup instead of sauce.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Wow how did your zucchinis ever get that big? The ones found in supermarts here are like half the size of what you describe. One thing about zucchini boats is they take up quite a bit of space on storage, and I think lasagnas would take up less space. 

Also trying to find 4 zucchinis of similar size and big enough to boat can sometimes be a pain here. 

2 hours ago, Mortimer said:

how did your zucchinis ever get that big?

Self-cultivation. And sometimes found on local market. In Poland, big zucchinis are quite normal thing. 

Those found in supermarkets are immature, harvested before they grow to their full size. It's all about farmers' time/money calculation - it's better income to sell younger ones and plant new than wait for one to grow to it's full size (the bigger it gets, the slower it grows). 

Top size can be even 1 meter long (3.3 ft), which is overkill here as well, but 40-50cm would be considered good specimen. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Breakfast:

150g cauliflower

100g brocoli

1 tomato

60g chayote

20g carrot

Then ran for 3.78km before volunteering at Park run. 

Skywalker handstands: Padawan level planks it is. 3 breaks taken total. ( Was hoping to cut to two but no luck) 

Jedi high jumps:

Did 2 sets, took a break

Jabba the hutt chokes:

3x10 body weight rows, took breaks in between 

Chewbacca carries were skipped as I couldn't find a heavy enough weight. 

Han Solo shuttle runs:

Just ran the whole 6x20 secs thing. Fitbit provided the 20sec count and 10 secs intervals.

Force push ups:

4 sets of 8 Knee Plyometric Push-ups - had to rest in between

Jedi force choke holds:

Full 60 seconds! 

Lunch:

60g whole wheat pasta 

200g white button mushrooms 

200g bok choi

70g fish

50g squid

Afternoon snack:

4 hollowed out zucchinis

Dinner:

200g bok choi with anchovies

60g pork ribs with yam soup

Half herbal chicken 

Also was baking a hell lot today. Made curry pork zucchini boats, date bread and a baguette so my hands were full. 

• Like 1

Breakfast:

Cinnamon cocoa milk

Curry pork with long beans and carrot(left over curry pork zucchini fillings) - this batch of zucchini boats were a bit small

Fennel and cumin drink

A piece of date bread

Breakfast was a lot heavier then normal since lunch is going to be at 3 pm ish><

I was feeling lethargic this morning but it turned out to be a very productive rock climbing day. I got up on yellow route, and conquered the wall that had been bugging me for ages. Watched someone climb it rainbow, the key was left leg to green rock, right leg to grey, then bring left leg to green rock on yellow triangle and stand up. 

Next stop will be pink rocks on the first wall only. 

20190707_100636.thumb.jpg.2499ef2f366e9a52b51b53a02d510402.jpg

20190707_103513.jpg

Then after that it was a 3.58km run(and run cadence research for the rebellion) while waiting for my onboarding session. 

Morning snack:

2 apples 

• Like 4

Lunch:

60g whole wheat pasta

70g fish

50g squid

1 green pepper

2 tomatoes

Yes, I tried to make home made tomato sauce involving 2 tomatoes, oregano, an onion, black pepper, rosemary and salt. Since I didn't add any flour or thickeners, it ended up too thin, but I slurped it up anyway. 

Afternoon tea:

One small Mandarin 

4 doughnut peaches

Dinner:

Fried egg

Rest of the curry zucchini boat filling 

100g of bok choi fried with minced meat and prawn sauce 

Seaweed soup with meatballs

Supper:

3 stuffed tofu puffs 

155g jackfruit

Half an orange 

Breakfast:

3 eggs

A cup of fennel and carom tea

A cup of hazelnut milk with cinnamon(well this one actually works) 

150g jackfruit seeds

75g jackfruit

An orange

A mango

Still living off yesterday's vitamin A overdose so no spinach for breakfast. Headed to gym for weights. Will have a morning snack after. 

55 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

Still living off yesterday's vitamin A overdose so no spinach for breakfast. Headed to gym for weights. Will have a morning snack after. 

I once was addicted to eating raw carrots and definitely had a constant Vit A overdose, not sure if it had adverse effects but - I had very orange palms and soles of my feet. I didn't even realise until I got admitted to hospital (for an accident) and they pointed it out to me :blue: