Mortimer's battle logs.

16 hours ago, Mortimer said:

This is what I have for air bnb

I keep my opinion - shower head mounted 20 centimeters from open electric outlet... 

2 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Oh about Taiwan

Beautiful!

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Sorry but I'm not electrically trained nor do I know jack about local regulations regarding shower heads etc. 

Yeah you should come tour around Asia with your family one of these days. Singapore is around 28-32C so it might be a bit hot for you guys, but Taiwan is a good place in the right months, as is Japan. China is also good if you know where to go, or you could try Cameron Highlands in Malaysia. Higher altitudes so its colder. 

Morning:

100 burpees with 1 min interval. Took 15+ min to complete since last set I took a longer break. More tiring then usual but I had rather little sleep last night. 

• Like 1

Lunch yesterday:

6 dumplings (3 of curry pork, 1 of pork and cabbage, 2 chicken and cabbage dumplings). Curry pork dumplings were good. 

An orange

Dinner:

Oyster omlette(came with a bit of veg, but it's a bit starchy) 

Scallion and egg pancake 

Half a cheese potato 

Half a set of beef steak and spaghetti

A duck wrap

Half a small bowl of cream of corn soup 

Anyway did:

25 jumping squats 

20 push ups 

10 body weight rows 

15 reverse crunches

(x4) 

All sets had to take a break at 15 push ups. Damn, I'm slipping =(

• Like 1

Lunch today :

120g of beef jerky

One cashew

Yeah I was travelling around on foot without too much chance for lunch. 

Dinner:

One bowl of rice

1.5 eggs

20g cabbage

1 chicken drumstick 

20g mixed vegetables including celery stalks 

Hualien City from Donganmen Night market

IMG-20191022-WA0038.jpg

Qixintan beach:

IMG-20191022-WA0036.jpg

I went there in shorts and sandals expecting a sandy beach and what I got was pebbles lol. 

Taroko gorge part 1:

IMG-20191022-WA0090.jpg

Taroko gorge part 2:

IMG-20191022-WA0074.jpg

• Like 2

Morning workout:

100 burpees with 1 min interval between each set of 20. Did not time it since I was testing doing burpees in the toilet to cut down on noise since Stone tiles echo less and after I did 20 did I think about looking at my watch. But my stamina for hiking is much much better then before(though I've always been a passable hiker). 

It's more jerky for lunch later, since the food within the gorge is overpriced ><

• Like 1

Lunch:

60g beef jerky

100g pork jerky

3 almonds 

Also, more Taiwan updates. 

Xiongde temple at Tianxiang

20191023_114422.jpg

Baiyang waterfall trail part 1:

20191023_124240.jpg

Baiyang waterfall trail part 2:

20191023_130907.jpg

Baiyang waterfall is a 4km round trip trail. Probably not much by standards of people here. 

Water Curtain cave:

20191023_132048.jpg

We were forced to head back as we were neither equipped with wet weather gear and my cellphone gave better light then the flashlight I brought ><

Changchun Shrine:

20191023_153059.jpg

Unfortunately the path to the shrine was closed due to maintenance. 

• Like 2

Dinner was ahhh..ooops. Taiwan KFC. I think it tastes better then SG KFC. 

Paper wrapped chicken with 4 grape tomatoes and 2 pieces of young corn 

Regular fries

Black tea

One egg tart

One egg tart with mochi and brown sugar 

One orange 

Popcorn chicken

Did 30 min of runners yoga(was making my BF do the sequence with me since he found his knee dodgy yesterday during the hike). 

• Like 1

Also met a dude who finished the Singapore Spartan yesterday and we pointed him to nine gorges tunnel. 

Did:

25 overhead squats 

20 push ups 

10 body weight rows 

15 reverse crunches

(x4) 

Last set of push ups had to take a break at 10, otherwise we're all good. 

Doing jumping squats at 6 am might have been a tad inconsiderate noting all the bump, bump, bump. Sure I could have tried doing it in the toilet but my body weight rowing table is in the living room and opening and closing the toilet door would be rather noisy too. 

• Like 1

Those places are amazing :D 

And workout wise - given circumstances, you are doing great :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

100 burpees in 12 minutes? Great job! :encouragement:

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

OK I did eat breakfast. 

I ate a sweet potato for science. Was trying to research the difference between Taiwan sweet potatoes and Singapore sweet potatoes. Singapore sweet potatoes are sweeter. 

Lunch:

Jumping shrimp(yep, I have ghoulish eating fantasies) in soya sauce, wine, chilli and spring onion. 

https://alwaystravelicious.com/2012/05/22/live-jumping-shrimp-liyu-lake-hualien-taiwan/

2 pieces of pepperoni pizza(my BF wanted to do pizza hut research) 

Half a meatball in tomato sauce and cheese dish (hey this one doesn't taste bad) 

Quarter a cheese tart(sorry too cheesy) 

Dont really care for eating too much fast food in other countries but granted some items are different (and better) then Singapore. 

Dinner(OK, I went nuts) :

A bbq quail

Stinky tofu and pickled cabbage

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinky_tofu

Squid with chilli sauce

150g blanched xiao bai cai with sweet soya sauce? (Apparently I failed my linguistics check and grabbed the wrong package) 

Did the following:

25 overhead squats 

20 push ups 

10 body weight rows 

15 reverse crunches

(x4) 

A little cheaty since last set I took a little time off to whatsaps someone. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mortimer said:

I ate a sweet potato for science

6 hours ago, Mortimer said:

BF wanted to do pizza hut research

Sience... research... yeah, right ;) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

9 hours ago, aramis said:

Sience... research... yeah, right ;) 

Hey, sweet potatoes are fine. I just avoid them generally because of their high vitamin A content in case I turn yellow again. 

Lunch:

100g fried pork ribs

100g stir fried cabbage

One chicken leg in soup

One lava bun

Dinner:

One sausage

Half a cup of rice

One mochi

Duck noodle soup

150g of tang orh

Half a goose leg

• Like 1

Did 100 burpees, 30s break between sets since I woke up late. Around 12 min or so? And 45 push ups. 

Breakfast(it's buffet breakfast and free anyway so I whacked) :

One red bean bun

One yam bun

One pork bun

One pork dumpling 

Quarter a cup of milk tea and soya drink(urgh sweetened) 

About 200g of bok choi(my BF complained I was overeating, but I don't see how you overeat vegetables) 

Egg omlette

One braised egg with braised cucumber and minced pork

Half a daikon radish with mock meat

2 pieces of tofu

One quarter a guava, some purple cabbage, pea sprouts, 3 slices of capsicum and 4 slices of Japanese cucumber. 

A bit of porridge and a bit of spaghetti 

Clay baked bread with coconut cream and butter. 

Then I did an impromptu 1.6km run round trip to cover distance between places so I could get to thermal Valley and hot spring museum in time to take pictures, under an hour to catch the train to the airport.

Urm... What do you expect a runner to do when you tell her she has only limited time to cover places? Run, of course =) 

Thermal valley:

20191027_092259.jpg

Hotspring museum:

20191027_094002.jpg

• Like 2

Breakfast:

1.6 cups of almond milk

300g of okra fried with curry powder and an onion 

Jedi high jumps:

3x 15 box jumps on sit up bench 

Han solo shuttle run, 6 sets of 20 s run, 10 s rest

Jabba the Hutt chokes:

3x10 body weight rows, took a break on the last set

Chewbacca carries:

Hauled 10 kg tool box no issies

Force push ups:

4x8 plyometric push ups, had to rest between sets.

Force choke: no breaks 

Luke Handstands: 3 breaks for 5 min.

I tested myself with the neighbourhood monkey bars and I'm still badass enough to get through them.  Sure, not smoothly or easily(it's never been that easy for me anyway) but hey, at least I got through without my feet touching the ground =)  Vacation hasn't totally screwed my fitness levels over ^^

20191028_082717.jpg

Morning snack:

A fig

A lava custard bun

Lunch:

Cauliflower fried rice 

Basically roast 300g of cauliflower for 20 min, toss it into a food processor and blend it till it becomes fine. 

Then fry the shallots, garlic and prawns(70g) then add in the cauliflower rice and add salt and light soya sauce. Make a well in the centre where 3 eggs beaten with salt and stir up everything while adding spring onion. 

Finished result:

20191028_133445.jpg

Half a dragon fruit

Half a cup of jackfruit

3 jackfruit seeds

Dinner:

Pig stomach soup with 60g pork rib

150g chye sim with 40g pork belly

100g of stir fried marble goby. 

20g pumpkin seeds

• Like 2

Breakfast:

300g okra fried with an onion and curry powder

2 cups of pineapple, 0.2 cups of jackfruit 

Did body combat for 42 min in the morning.  Since I was in the gym, I tried lifting some weights(despite technically only being allowed into the gym for body combat class). Deadlift @110lbs seems to be harder, clean and press @50 lbs is still fine. Farmers walk with 20 kg in each hand is considerably harder. 

I did do an in body scan, I lost 0.1 kg of muscle mass since last month and did put on 0.5 kg fat. Oh well, I guess with the stuff I was eating, it could have been worse. I gained muscle on my arms but lost some on core and legs. 

Then I ran to the nearby park(2.1 km to get there), getting stitches in the process (wimp >. <) did 30 burpees and headed back during lunch break. Whole sequence took about 30 min. 

Lunch:
150g cauliflower
150g lotus root
10g sesame seeds
90g sesame chicken
20g hulled pumpkin seeds

Good news is I read through the emails and my company is letting me claim up to $1,000 per year on fitness based activities (I.e gym membership, rock climbing classes,dance classes, canoeing, swimming classes, golf, run, sports competitions, marathons). I'm thinking how to spend it. Im considering getting the budget gym(can only go on weekdays and only before 4 pm - no issue, I never do my weights at night. Its always afternoon or morning) for like $80 for a year, then spend the rest for a climbing gym membership at $60/ month. So Mondays, Weds and Fridays I go lift weights while on Tuesdays and Thursdays I run to the climbing gym to start climbing. The idea really intrigues me... 

Usual decoction:
1 tablespoon fennel and cumin, 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds

Dinner
150 g cauliflower
150g lotus root

• Like 1

Not much of a backslide, good job :) What kind of body scan were you taking? Would be nice to get something like this, but what about accuracy? I know simple bathroom scale can estimate body composition, but it mostly fail because it measures only body conductivity (and this may fluctuate heavily even due to levels of hydration). 

2 hours ago, Mortimer said:

my company is letting me claim up to $1,000 per year on fitness based activities

OOHHHHH... so jealous :D  

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Used the Inbody scanner in my old gym. I also scouted out the cheapo gym, takes about 1h from one of my bases of operations, and from there to work, another 40 min more. There's only one shower and no hair dryer that I spotted so I might leave the bath for the night (more likely then not, since I'll be running in the evening and that will work up a sweat). The gym does not have a bench press nor a squat rack. I'll have to do with the Smith machine for squats and use a bench + barbells for bench press. 

In the process of doing the nerd fitness star wars workout, will post results when completely done. 

Breakfast:
1.6 cups of almond milk
300g okra fried with an onion 

2 eggs fried with 26g of spinach and tumeric

1 cup of jackfruit

9 grapes

Jedi high jumps:

3x 15 box jumps (knee height) 
Han solo shuttle run, 6 sets of 20 s run, 10 s rest
 Jabba the Hutt chokes:
3x10 body weight rows, took a break on the last set
 Chewbacca carries:
Hauled 3 kg half filled jug of sand over the head with no issues on right but issues on left. 
 Force push ups:
 4x8 plyometric push ups, had to rest between sets.
Force choke: break at 26 s left but the bar wasn't optimal. 
Luke Handstands: 3 breaks for 5 min. Sigh.

I was hanging on one of these lol:

https://images.app.goo.gl/5rcGForbgVgCnJax7

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Mortimer said:

The gym does not have a bench press nor a squat rack.

Ugh, from my (very limited) knowledge, those are quite fundamental stuff. No other options?

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler