Mortimer's battle logs.

When will be your Spartan?

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

7 November 2020. I'm currently trying to do the elbows bent to grab a bar but gosh, it's hard and I can't do it for long =( Don't even want to think about trying to monkey bar like that><

Today's training:

Deadlifts:

Deadlift @ bar +15kg (x8)

Deadlift @ bar +17.5kg (x8)

Deadlift @ bar + 20kg (x8) 

Deadlift @ bar + 22.5kg (x4)

Chest press:

30 kg x 6, 3 sets - Last rep is kicking my ass. 

Overhead press:

Bar + 2.5kg on each side x4, 3 sets

Front Squat:

25 kg x 8, 3 sets

Back squats:

Bar+2.5kg x8, 3 sets

Assisted with resistance band:

5  pull ups - first unassisted 
5 chin ups - first unassisted
4 pull ups
4 chin ups 
2 pull ups 
2 chin ups

Farmers walk, 15 kg in each hand - 1 min 33 s. 

20200908_140838.jpg

Meh, I look a little on the stout side sigh..there are times I wish I looked thinner =P I mean I do have a bit of abs definition and all that, but if I fold my arms in front of me you can definitely see the muscle shape. 

Then I went to run 18.95k(silly fitbit only clocked 15.16k), to get my standard chartered virtual race 15k badge =P

The standard chartered virtual race only recognizes fitbits, strava, gamin and polar. I tried strava once and luddite me didn't know how to set it up properly. 

• Like 1

Belated food logs:

Monday breakfast:

200g brocolli

100g oyster mushroom

180g pork heart

Lunch:

150g endives

100g salmon

150g raddish

30g carrot

Half a dragonfruit

Dinner:

150g endives

50g salmon

1 chicken leg

100g raddish

30g carrot

200g okra

1 tomato

30g chestnuts

7g dried cloud ear fungus

Breakfast today:

250g okra

200g oyster mushroom

1 tomato

20g hulled pumpkin seeds

100g chicken breast

Did the 60/15 tabata workout and it kinda kicked my arse today. Also tried some wall walking with my left hand leading and only got 2 bars worth(3m?) Tried to crow pose but wasn't getting much progress on that.

• Like 1

Lunch:

200g brocolli

50g chicken breast

150g salmon

Rock climbing wall was a bit busy, so I messed around with bouldering.

Today's target was green(bottom pic), which I managed to complete, then after that, I went fooling around incidentally and got up yellow without thinking too much about it. Both of them are 2 pie routes.

20200909_144755.jpg

20200909_142017.jpg

Then I went to run my ass off for another 19 km (wonderful fitbit only showed 15k - though I asked a fitness buddy on how to configure the fitbit properly to use phone gps instead of my stride length(which they calculate it as rather small since I'm short) - which isn't exactly the case when I try to pick up speed because I will lengthen my stride). This time I wasn't distracted by playing Orna so I managed a decent 6'40 pace. Nothing compared to the tempo on Sunday, but again that was an under 1 h 10k run...which means its sub 6.

Dinner:

300g cauliflower

50g chicken breast

150g salmon

1 apple

3 mini tangerines.

Geez, what the fish is wrong with trying to book on Friday - it appears that all climb slots are full >.<

I suppose it'll be nerd fitness star wars workout on Friday =(

• Like 1

Today's training:

Deadlifts:

40kg x 12, 3 sets

Yeah no luck getting the bar. 

Chest press:

30 kg x 6, 3 sets - Last rep is kicking my ass. 

Overhead press:

25 kg x 5, last rep is kicking my ass

Front Squat:

25 kg x 8, 3 sets

Back squats:

25kg x8, 3 sets

5 pull ups - first unassisted 

4 pull ups - first unassisted and nearly manged to complete the rep

4 chin ups  - first unassisted 

2 pull ups 

2 chin ups

Farmers walk, 15 kg in each hand - 1 min 20 s. 

8 x 4 plyometric push ups because I couldn't get up the poles to attempt dips. 

Messed around with some stainless steel monkey bars which were more slippery.  The higher bars I had to do one hand by one hand but the lower bars I folded my knees so my feet wouldn't touch the ground and did hand over hand. I think the height made me chicken out... 

Also I finally got my haemoglobin levels high enough to donate blood and did it today. Phee...

Of course I did all my working out before I went to donate blood. 

Food was rather messy to say the least since I met up with my friends and ate outside stuff. 

• Like 1

Friday:

Breakfast:

250g okra

200g oyster mushroom

1 tomato

100g chicken breast

I was feeling slightly snifflish before workout but did it anyway.

Nerd fitness star wars workout.

3 x 15 box jumps

3 x 10 inverted rows

Waiters carry with a 3kg mortar (yes the kitchen mortar, that looked the most liftable thing in my house), 1 min each hand. I tried a rice cooker but couldn't get it balanced right.

4x 8 plyometric push ups.

Shuttle run - 6 sets of 20 s run, 10 s rest. This one was giving me a problem. I was panting heavily through my mask. I suspect it may be blood donation debuff...

5 min plank. 1 break

Bar hang - 60 s, no breaks.

Strangely the only shuttle run gave issues, the rest were fine.

Lunch:

200g salmon

150g endives

150g turnip

5 g seaweed

4 shiitake mushrooms

4 dried apricots

17g dried longans

10g wolfberries

Then I ran for 16.5 km. Going to the reservoir was rather rough since it was 2 pm in the day and it was slightly uphill. But returning was fine.

Dinner:

200g salmon

150g endives

150g turnip

5 g seaweed

4 shiitake mushrooms

4 tangerines

The sniffles came back in full force after the run, so I headed to bed early and decided the next day would be a no run day. I've clocked like 53 km in total on the road over the last few runs. I suspect I may have been overtraining, since I didn't have much appetite for dinner, and was sniffling like no one's business that I thought I might be coming down with a cold.

I have no idea how the top 3 runners in the running group are doing it, I suspect they're clocking at least 20 km/day everyday. I mean if you asked me to run 20km? Sure. Bring it. But run 20km for 3 days running? Eh....that's going to start adding up...

Breakfast:

100g chicken breast

50g endives

100g turnip

2 shiitake mushrooms

As a self prescribed rest day...all I did was orna walk with dungeon buff and earn lots of orns. And some grocery shopping.

Lunch:

200g cauliflower

100g salmon

20g chicken

100g watercress

20g hulled pumpkin seeds

OK i did tabata workout in the afternoon. 

Dinner:

20g chicken

2 chicken legs

200g Chestnuts 

50g egg tofu

40g straw mushroom

100g corn

150g sugar peas

30g carrots

Breakfast today:

150g French beans

150g oyster mushroom

100g chicken breast

4 dried apricots 

1 tomato 

Ran 20.7km

Lunch:

40g chicken

150 g salmon

300g brocolli 

60g macaroni made into aglio olio(includes 10g parmesan cheese) 

• Like 1

Dinner:

150g pork belly

200g eggplant

100g xiao bai cai

2 pineapple tarts (sigh my in laws keep bringing back stuff and expecting me to finish it..there's going to be more of questionable items in the future). If I don't finish it, it sits in the fridge, possibly getting mouldy(and gets to be thrown away), or takes up precious fridge space which could be used to store more healthy food. I guess I'll just have to eat them up, then get back on track again.

Monday was a rest day.

26k steps but nothing else and since food was mostly eating out...not much to say about it.

Tuesday:

Breakfast:

200g brocolli

180g pig heart

150g oyster mushroom

Lunch:

200g endives

100g raddish

20g carrot

100g salmon

1 dried shiitake mushroom

1 pineapple tart

17g dried longans

4 dried jujubes

And I've been chewing sugarcanes on and off through the day so I don't really know how many calories is that.

Deadlifts:

40kg x 12, 3 sets

Chest press:

30 kg x 7, 3 sets - Last rep is kicking my ass.

Overhead press:

25 kg x 7, first set was still manageable, but 2nd and 3rd set I had to take a break in the middle. Looking at my previous logs where I was previously doing 5 reps...I can see why that happened. Ooops!

Front Squat:

25 kg x 8, 3 sets

I am considering trying for a 30kg x 4 rep front squat, if I can get that 30kg bar into a front squat position...

Back squats:

25kg x8, 3 sets

4 pull ups - tried first unassisted today but no go.

2 pull ups 

2 chin ups

Farmers walk, 15 kg in each hand - 1 min 53 s. 

I was trying to keep rests between sets at 1 min, to intensify the workout. Deadlifts = OK. But once it started coming to the overhead presses etc, I was running into problems. I think 1 min rest may not always be enough.

Went monkeying around the monkey bars, but towards the end of each section I used quite a bit of feet hooking onto pole to get along instead of finishing off with arms.

I used the body scanner scale in the gym...I did gain muscle mass but did gain fat as well. Hrrrrmmms...its sort of to be expected due to the intake of carbs on Monday. I feel my lifts are getting better, but on the other hand I wonder if my ability to pull myself around monkey bars/bars or walls is being affected. Aka, I got too heavy.

Ran about 8 km.

Dinner:

200g endives

100g raddish

20g carrot

100g salmon

1 dried shiitake mushroom

• Like 1

Weds breakfast:

250g okra

200g oyster mushroom

100g chicken breast

20g hulled pumpkin seeds

Ang ku kueh with bean filling

Quite a bit of sugar cane chewing

Did morning tabata workout.

Lunch:

300g turnip

40g carrot

8g dried shrimp

150g chicken breast

Half a banana

Went climbing during lunch, then ran around 11 km.

The green route I did a week back or so and did again today apparently is a 3 pie route which means its a V2-V4 route. I have no idea how I can just climb it without issue but fail on 2 pie routes (V1-V2) routes. I think that black 2 pie route is a weakness of mine - I hate slopers >.< There is another red route and yellow route I am going to be working on as well. Dunno what pies(grades) they are, but climb first, think later :P

Dinner:

300g brocolli

100g chicken breast

17g dried longan

10g wolfberries

4 jujubes

• Like 1

Thursday:

Breakfast:

200g brocolli

180g pig heart

150g oyster mushroom

17g dried longan

10g wolfberries

4 jujubes

Lunch:

100g salmon

300g okra

100g watercress

20g chicken

Deadlifts:

40kg x 12, 3 sets

Chest press:

30 kg x 7, 3 sets - Last set, last rep is kicking my butt

Overhead press:

25 kg x 6, I managed the first 2 sets, but for the last set I had to take a break on the 5th rep

Front Squat:

30 kg x 4, 3 sets

I am considering trying for a 30kg x 4 rep front squat, if I can get that 30kg bar into a front squat position...

Back squats:

25kg x8, 3 sets

4 pull ups - first unassisted

2 pull ups 

2 chin ups

Farmers walk, 15 kg in each hand - 1 min 20 s. 

A little erratic the farmers walk is, but today I bruised my palm doing the side wall walk thing, so I guess it affected my grip strength.

I was also trying to monkey bar with elbows bent at 90 degrees but wasn't getting anywhere.

Ran about 9km or so.

Dinner:

120g salmon

Half a banana

One Huat Kueh (another praying day coming...I guess I'd better clear the fridge)

100g chicken

70g tofu

400g cauliflower

• Like 1

Breakfast:

250g okra

200g oyster mushroom

1 tomato

20g hulled pumpkin seeds

100g chicken breast

17g dried longan

10g wolfberries

4 jujubes

Lunch:

500g eggplant

200g chicken breast

Very productive climb day with me finally completing black. Yes, it had to be slopers :P

20200918_135707.jpg

Also completed yellow, was working on the red but ran out of steam.

20200918_125837.jpg

Then walked around town lugging my laptop and climbing gear to get new running shoes. I actually had the option to buy a salomon trail running shoes but opted to get their housebrand which had softer cushions and it feels like more bounce back on the run, since I am primarily a road runner. I think Spartan in November will be the only time I run off road.

Dinner:

Ate out, so I had ramen. And like 200g of bean sprouts, since there was this tub and it was free to take whatever you wanted.

Bucket brigading in the bath...5 min. Ooof!

• Like 1

On Friday I actually had an opportunity to by Salomon trail running shoes, but opted for their house brand as the cushions were softer and decided that since I am primarily a road runner - there's no point I invest in a pair of shoes just for Spartan Sprint.

Saturday:

Eh praying day so I am not going to food log.

I ran 24.95 km - took me 2h 50 min to do so. I do not know if I overtrained or ate something wrong, because after lunch I had a stomachache, and spent the rest of the day curled up into a ball >.<

The only good news about the day is I spent my time curled up in a ball watching climbing videos.

Stuff I got from climbing videos:

1) I'm too short to be REALLY REALLY good at climbing. Sux to be me...but oh well.

2) Shorties on the wall need to move in a tic-tac manner, I.e make smaller moves

3) Shorties should use their flexibility to their advantage with high knees and crunched up position etc.

4) Shorties can still climb but may take longer. (Because the taller folks cheat by skipping holds - but it can cost them in stamina, and sometimes the handhold isn't powerful for you enough to skip the foot positioning - saw someone fall off a route that way. I learnt from his mistake and made sure I planted my foot on the volume(no real footholds at the area - it worked fine.)

5) I really need to learn to dyno - it's how shorties bridge the gap of their lack of reach. My problem with dyno isn't about launching myself at the hold - I usually hit the hold, but I am unable to grab it due to the impact/wrong point of hitting the hold.

Oh for anyone who wonders why I call myself a shortie, I'm 5'1. (1.57m).

Sunday:

Stomach still not feeling up to 100%, so I'm taking it easy. I decided not to join the local run group since I don't feel up to running(was a wise decision).

Nerd fitness star wars workout:

Force choke:

1 min - took one break (Yeah I'm definitely off form here...)

Chewbacca carries - Grabbed the 3.1kg mortar and started carrying it waiters carry. 1 min each hand.

Force Push

4x 8 plyometric pushups

Force jump

15 x 3 jump on low wall up to my thigh - took a break once at least in each set.

Luke Handstand

5 min plank, 3 breaks

Han Solo run

Shuttle jog 20s, rest 10 s, 6 sets - my stomach didn't really care for the jogging part. I guess I'm grounded and stuck without a run speed today.

Inverted rows:

3x10

• Like 1

Breakfast:

250g okra

200g oyster mushroom

1 tomato

140g chicken breast

20g hulled pumpkin seeds

Lunch:

Remainder of 'Sharks fin soup'

I say 'sharks fin soup' because no sharks fins were harmed in the making of the soup.

20200920_174544.jpg

What I used  to replace the fins was actually a figleaf gourd which splits up into strands that look like shark fins.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cucurbita_ficifolia

300g cauliflower

75g turnip 

10g carrot

20200921_134103.jpg

I got up red, now I have white to work on as well as an orange wall and another blue wall(not the one in the picture).

Did my 60/15 tabata as it was drizzling the whole day and couldn't get out to run. Also some crow pose, which well felt better then before.

Dinner:

200g spinach

150g salmon

17g dried longan

4 jujubes

10 g goji berries

148 kcals of dried apricots.

• Like 1

Breakfast:

200g brocolli

180g pig heart

150g oyster mushroom

17g dried longan

10g wolfberries

4 jujubes

Lunch:

170g tau kwa

300g okra

1 dragonfruit

20g cashews

One tomato

Deadlifts:

40kg x 12, 3 sets

Chest press:

30 kg x 7

Overhead press:

25 kg x 6

Front Squat:

30 kg x 4, 3 sets

I wonder when I can move on to 5...

Back squats:

25kg x8, 3 sets

2 pull ups - first unassisted 

2 chin ups - first unassisted 

Farmers walk, 15 kg in each hand - 1 min 38 s.

Ran about 10.98 km or so - getting to know my new shoes. Silly fitbit didn't since properly and only showed it as 6 km bah.

Dinner:

200g eggplant

100g tau kwa

200g chicken breast

• Like 1

Breakfast:

250g okra

200g oyster mushroom

1 tomato

100g chicken breast

20g hulled pumpkin seeds

Lunch:

100g salmon

20g chicken breast

150g raddish

100g endives

30g carrot

17g dried longan

10g wolfberries

4 jujubes

170 kcals of noodles (eh there was extra noodles - so I ate it - then realized that I had a noodle problem after I wolfed the whole thing down like a ravening wolf - and it wasn't even in some kind of special broth, just miso salmon. I think a part of me misses noodles >.<)

I got up the wall using white rocks only. It was kinda surreal. When I look at it while on the wall, I'm like oh shit how do I get to the next hold, then I have to not think about how to do it, but rather let my body take over and climb the wall. I remember twisting like a pretzel for this route just to squeeze out extra reach. But if I try to look at it from below I'm like, how the hell did I get up...

20200923_133127.jpg

Ran around 12 km and went ornaing along the way trying to find fishing lines but no luck.

I'm quite happy with my progress in the strength training department as I have been able to progress on my routes + improve on my weights in the gym. Strangely enough the scale doesn't indicate I have been putting on more muscle, so I don't know where that improvement is coming from =P

Dinner:

4 shiitake mushrooms

100g salmon

150g radish

100g endives

100g tofu

30g carrot

Half a banana

• Like 1

Today was kinda fked up busy, since I had to deliver documents and retrieve them from office. So no time to go to the gym, did nerd fitness star wars workout. I hope I have time to go to the climbing wall tomorrow.

Breakfast:

200g brocolli

180g pig heart

150g oyster mushroom

17g dried longan

10g wolfberries

4 jujubes

Lunch:

250g okra

1 tomato

200g chicken breast

Half a banana

Nerd fitness star wars workout.

3 x 15 box jumps

3 x 10 inverted rows

Waiters carry with a 3kg mortar (yes the kitchen mortar, that looked the most liftable thing in my house), 1 min each hand. I tried a rice cooker but couldn't get it balanced right.

4x 8 plyometric push ups.

Shuttle run - 6 sets of 20 s jog (sorry 2 pm in the day and I was doing it under a sheltered pavilion, not enough space for serious acceleration), 10 s rest. 

5 min plank. 2 break

Bar hang - 60 s, no breaks.

Curious extra box jumps thing....I did 2 box jumps onto a stone table that was up to my thigh but the landing wasn't very controlled I actually had to put my hands on the table to prevent myself from tipping forward. The next time there's no one looking, I'll probably try to jump on it with a more controlled landing.

Ran 13.25 km

Dinner:

500g turnip

50g carrot

15g dried shrimp

150g chicken breast fried with tomato paste

• Like 1

Breakfast:

250g okra

200g oyster mushroom

1 tomato

100g chicken breast

20g hulled pumpkin seeds

Spent morning grabbing around doing office errands.

Lunch:

200g brocolli

100g chicken breast

17g dried longan

10g wolfberries

4 jujubes

1/10 slice of Bak Kwa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakkwa

Yes, I failed a will save on that one. Was curious how it tasted. Yes it's good but it's not good for you (in a health sense)

Shitty climb day, tried to repeat black route and white route but epically failed >.<  Also, my left climbing shoe has sprouting a hole at the left toe. I don't know where I can get them resoled, or do I have to fork out $50 for a new pair of shoes =( Sigh....and I haven't even clocked 10k steps today

Also a little twitchy today as an important transaction is taking place and tomorrow I'm going to long run so I didn't really feel like a full workout session done in, so settled for doing 100 burpees broken into sets of 20, with a minute break in between. Whole sequence took around 15 min or so. I guess that's better then nothing hmm?

Dinner:

150g salmon

150g endives

200g eggplant

1 banana

Breakfast:

200g french beans

200g oyster mushroom

1 tomato

20g hulled pumpkin seeds

100g chicken breast

Ran about 14 km. Actually I ran about 8.9 km, then it started pouring so I took the train to a sheltered running track and ran 5 laps around it before heading home. I wanted to run further but having to run laps around a running track made me =( when I should have(assuming weather had permitted) ran outdoors with the road under my shoes. And having "stored up energy" hoping to have a good run today was disappointing.

Lunch:

150g salmon

300g cauliflower

100g watercress

40g chicken

20g soy nuts

Dinner:

One chicken leg

one egg

50 g watercress

300g turnip

30g carrot

10g dried shrimp

One honey date

One green apple

Chocolate oats hazelnut granola chips (184 kcals worth)

Still feel strangely rungry despite not doing the full 20km ++ thing...urk.

• Like 1

Breakfast:

250g okra

200g oyster mushroom

1 tomato

100g chicken breast

20g hulled pumpkin seeds

Ran about 11 km (with water break inbetween) at 6 min pace...while huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf. The run group actually ran ahead of me, despite my best efforts to catch up (I was fully widening my stride, breathing already full ramped right from the start), later at the end found out they were doing 5:40, but I finished some way behind them.

Lunch:

140g chicken breast

200g pork belly

200g cabbage

200g lotus roots

20g peanuts

290g of coral lettuce

30g carrot

1 tablespoon of soy sesame salad dressing

I think I may be overeating compared to the distance I ran today...might need to find some way to work out extra calories. Hrrms. But also have many things to do at home. Dunno. Maybe I'll consider burpees.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Mortimer said:

I may be overeating compared to the distance I ran today...might need to find some way to work out extra calories.

No need to fit DAILY "in" and "out". After all, food needs 16-24 hours to be fully digested, so in reality what you ate today, you'll be burning sometime tomorrow (big simplification, but you get the point). If you know you overate, just balance it by eating less tomorrow. Outcome will be the same, but with much less fuss and overthinking. At least this works fine for me and my mindset.

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Problem was I knew I was going to overeat on Monday. A bit more on that later.

Sunday dinner:

200g sugar snap peas

200g egg tofu

200g baby corn

100g shimeji mushrooms

20g chicken breast

Spent Sunday hauling my sorry bum to decathlon to get new climbing shoes since my last pair sprouted a hole in my left toe. Yes, it's called I have shitty footwork. I was quoted $85 to repair it and 3 weeks waiting time but buying a new pair would cost only $50.

Monday breakfast:

250g okra

200g oyster mushroom

1 tomato

100g chicken breast

20g hulled pumpkin seeds

Did the 60/15 tabata workout

Monday Lunch:

200g brocolli

140g salmon

1 hairy crab - I'm glad I ate it else I'd always wonder what it taste like. I found it wasn't meaty enough and I just ate the middle part with the shell.

Went climbing, and I belayed someone for the first time. I feel happy because this is the first time I'm giving back to the fitness community so to speak. I think I was too tense on my dominant hand that's why it was slightly tiring. I managed to get up the black route on the third try, and was one block short of white (I am trying again despite getting up once before because I can't remember how I got up - I'm afraid that I may have stepped onto another colour block on trying to get up as I can't remember the route I took).

Then I went to office to get some stuff done. I went to Sentosa after work because I wanted to get my Orna lands back, and also I wanted to see how the island (its a tourist attraction) changed with Covid-19. It was kinda depressing since when there used to be bars by the beach...the bars are now closed(even though Singapore now allows bars to be open). Original plans were to have a risotto at Ola beach club but that went out of the question. I did also consider getting some drinks by the beach...

I was rather late in getting there so the only place for dinner was Coastes, or (as I found out walking down the beach front later), Trapizza (where my family once had my cousin's husband's birthday celebration - he's italian). Coastes was more on finger foods like sandwiches and all that, I will admit Trapizza had a non pizza option, but I was thinking, since I made the trip all the way there, why not try the stuff they're famous for - pizza. 12 inch was kinda a lot but I urm..hoovered the whole thing down. I guess running down the beach while carrying my working laptop, climbing gear(climbing harness and climbing shoes), is the kind of thing that gets you hungry.

Monday dinner:

12 inch seafood pizza

2 bowls of peach resin desert.

Since I'm not known for patience and it was running late - I also ran all the way back to the monorail station (850m or so)

I wonder if the bars will come back on Phase 3 reopening, or are they closed for good =(

• Like 1

Breakfast:

200g brocolli

180g pig heart

150g oyster mushroom

Lunch:

250g okra

1 tomato

140g salmon

Some wall walking - I went one way about 6m, then waited for the passerbys to scoot, then went the other way. I think the secret to walking on walls is to really lean back into your butt.   (Railing shimmy section) You can even sort of take breaks by just sitting onto your butt that way. Not the most comfortable of breaks...but better then nothing.

https://mothership.sg/2018/05/dbs-battle-bay-extreme-how-to-train-to-be-a-ninja-warrior-in-your-office/

Deadlifts:

15kg per side + bar (x8)

17.5 kg per side + bar (x8)

20 kg per side + bar (x8)

22.5 kg per side + bar (x5)

I did all of them using double overhand grip instead of mixed grip that I usually do - mainly because Spartan stated for training purposes on grip strength, I need to deadlift using double overhand grip. I am also trying to lift buckets of water that way. Since a bucket of water is 20 kg, it isn't really that much of an issue.

Chest press:

30 kg x 7, 3 sets

Overhead press:

25 kg x 7, though for the last set I had to take a break at 4...I wonder if I should go back to 6, or just live with breaks on last set and slowly try to push to no breaks?

3 sets 

Front Squat:

30 kg x 5, 3 sets

Oh yes we moved and the last rep was a PITA.

Back squats:

25kg x8, 3 sets - superset

2 pull ups - first unassisted 

2 chin ups - first unassisted 

Farmers walk, 15 kg in each hand - 2 min 20 s actually. Sorry did a copy paste. I finally did break the 2 min barrier. 

Also ran about 8km or so on treadmill because it was raining. Treadmill was slightly inclined .

Dinner:

250g cauliflower

140g salmon

70 g chicken breast

1.5 bowls of peach resin desert

• Like 1

Breakfast:

250g okra

200g oyster mushroom

1 tomato

100g chicken breast

20g hulled pumpkin seeds

Lunch:

150g salmon

100g endives

200g raddish

30g carrot

I got up the black route on second try, but I couldn't complete white. There are two problems, one is the foot placement on the white block on the volume(need to be precise on it), and the final one where you are one short of finish. I think the last part you need to wall smear on right foot. I am beginning to think the last time I got up the white route it was because I used another block by accident.

Tea Break:

A bowl of peach resin desert and an ang ku kueh(yam flavoured). - Eh have snacks lying around in the kitchen with a runner who just came back from running 11k...and yeah it gets hoovered up.

Dinner:

150g salmon

100g endives

200g raddish

30g carrot

2 shiitake mushrooms

Quarter an orange, quarter a pear and quarter an apple.

Drank 500 ml of 100-plus then took a mouthful of my husband's bottle of vanilla coke in the fridge (curious..!)

Bucket brigading for 5 min 30 s in the bath.

Also I signed up to do a 2:15 half marathon on 11th October. My last half marathon was done in 2:17...so this should get interesting since I haven't been doing much in the name of speed work except for Sunday's tempo for 10k in an hour.

Doing a half marathon (and I know the route for this one), isn't really that much of an issue, but finishing it within a set timing is =P

I have run longer distances before, ever running from my in laws place to my parents place (25 km) for shits and giggles. Sure the whole thing took me 3 h + but oh wells.

I calculated that I would need to go at slightly faster then a 6:30 pace. For the 10k tempo - the pace is 6 min, and it's kinda harsh on me. If I am to go below a 6 min pace - that is possible only for about 5k or so.

I am a turtle type runner. Long distances(say up to 30 km?)? Sure! Run faster? Nope =P Well unless someone's waiting for me at home to cook dinner and I need to clock x km, then I will haul my booty and put some effort into it.

About long distances at turtle pace - I sometimes wonder if it's detrimental for you to spend too much time on the road. I mean firstly you'd have to find those 6 hours to finish your marathon distance...then the next problem is how do you find 6 hours where the sun won't come up and kill you. I am a morning person so my energy wanes as the sun sets - running the entire night is out for me. But again running long distances past 10 am in the morning when temperatures start getting to 28 degrees celsius is no joke. It really does sap your energy. I mean I can still do 15km(assuming you're not concerned about the pace) under 28 degrees + celsius, but the longer distances start getting hard once the sun is fully up.

• Like 1

Today was not a good workout day. Won't be doing food logs as its a praying day so the stuff I ate got a little off track. Strangely enough, I discovered that I can polish quite a number of baby yams up...

https://www.fairprice.com.sg/product/china-baby-yam-500g-13074810

Don't know why anyone would eat them with salt or dark soya sauce, they are already slightly sweetish by themselves and quite tasty.

I ran 12 km in the morning at a 7'30 pace. Eh. Really feeling a little sluggish today.

Overhead press:

25 kg x 7 - 3 sets

Chest press:

30 kg x 7, 3 sets

Front Squat:

30 kg x 5, 3 sets

Strangely Front Squat wasn't as bad as the last time...but I did it before I did the deadlifts.

Back squats:

25kg x8, 3 sets - superset

Deadlifts:

40kg x 12 (3 sets)

4 chin ups  - all assisted (after 2 fails I gave up on trying any pull ups or chin ups unassisted)

2 pull ups - all assisted

2 chin ups - all assisted

Farmers walk, 15 kg in each hand - 1 min 13 s

I weighed myself at the gym and found myself heavier >.< I think that was what caused the chin up and pull up fails....get too fat and I can't pull my sorry arse around properly.

Also next monday I intend to test myself for full marathon distance. The plan is to have dinner, then start running at 5 pm - until midnight if need be. I will be running in a sheltered stadium - at least I won't have to deal with rain. It's a brick joke that everytime I go out to run, it starts raining (I've gotten it twice this week already). The timing is such that it doesn't intersect with any meal times, though running after 10 pm is going to be a b!tch as my energy levels drop. (It's way after sunset). Again the alternative of running until the sun rises is worse, since once past 10 am it gets very very hot. The stadium has water and toilet facilities. Are there any other things I need to prepare? The last time I ran 30 km I did it only drinking water. I've never used energy gels/ branch chained amino acids or whatsoever on training. Likely I'll munch on granola and soy beans when I get back after the run then hit the sack. Tuesday I am on leave so I should have some time to recover.

I will be careful doing it and should I be unable to cover the distance, I will just abort the run. I think I should aim for a 7'30 pace for the distance. That will take about 5h 16 min to complete it. I was considering for a 7 min pace but that might be being too optimistic. Long distances...if you push too fast too early you're going to screw yourself over later.