My way towards (next) OCR

Surprisingly, no. I guess the whole idea of S&S is to work hamstrings and lower back area with swings, and everything else with getups. 

On the other hand - my back doesn't like going all the way from extension to flexion in one move, and in getups there isn't much extension - more of range from flexion to neutral and back. 

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Ah I see. I was looking at Turkish Get-ups but the whole bunch of moves made me boggle. I wonder if they can be performed with my waiters carry mortar since I have no kettlebell, and can't get one (in laws place, no space). Though I'd definitely do Turkish Get-ups with just body weight first to get used to the movement.

• Like 1

Sure, GetUp can be done bodyweight or with any heavy(ish) object, but the beauty of kettlebell is it's uneven weight distribution. This introduces way more balance/stabilization work than balanced weight (like dumbbell etc.).

But even with balanced weight it's great whole-body movement :) https://furthermore.equinox.com/articles/2017/11/turkish-get-up

Anyway, let me boast :D 

Oct. 14th

S&S routine, timed

10x10 one arm swings 24 kg (not much to be proud of, but done "just in case" 32 would be too much)

1min rest

... drum roll ...

10x1 Turkish Get Up 32 kg !!!!!!!!!!!!

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Oct. 17th

S&S routine, timed

10x10 one arm swings 24 kg (32kg swings still hurt my back)

1min rest

10x1 Turkish Get Up 32 kg 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Oct. 19th

S&S routine, partially timed

6x10  one arm swings 32kg (YAY!)

4x10 one arm swings 24 kg 

1min rest

10 (ish) x1 Turkish Get Up 32 kg 

I actually did 10 and a half, because somewhere in the middle of the training I lost balance when going down and had to bail out form the get-up by dropping my kettle sideways. I did additional rep at the end, just to prove myself it was just a speed bump, not a wall :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

As yesterday I had to skip my training, I did it today.

Oct. 22nd

S&S routine, almost timed (I exceeded the time limit for couple seconds)

10x10 one arm swings 32kg

10x1 get-ups 32 kg

Yes, I almost met the "Simple" goal of the program. The key word is "almost". It took me bit too long and the form was... disappointing. Need to work on this bit more before celebrating a success.

Nevertheless, the progress is real :D 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yay congrats on almost reaching simple goal of the program =D Yesterday I went to another gym and this time there were stools, so I tiptoed on a stool, grabbed the bar and did a pull up. You see, I've always been doubting myself because I had to jump up to the bar(yes, shortie is me) to do a pull up, but at least I know now.

• Like 1

In my case (eating keto) I prefer fattier sources. Eggs (absolutely THE BEST protein, with addition of tons of microelements, vitamins etc), fatty cuts of pork (neck, shoulder and belly for example), offal (liver, kidneys, stomach) - both pork and chicken (and it's the cheapest protein source in the world :D). Small fish like sardine, sprat, herring or mackerel - preferably fresh or smoked, but canned are also good. The smaller the fish, the less mercury it holds. That's why big predator fish are the ones having the biggest mercury levels. And out of more processed food I'd say - cheese.

Having lower protein needs than on carb-based diet I was able to put whey protein away entirely, and only use it for cakes/sweets etc. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Oct. 24th

S&S routine, with extra rest time

2 min rest

10x1 get-ups 32 kg

Still intense as heck, but extra rest time helped with better form on get-ups.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Oct. 26th

2 min rest

10x1 get-ups 32 kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Oct. 28th

2 min rest

10x1 get-ups 32 kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Oct. 31st

S&S routine, with extra rest time (down to 30sec extra)

90 sec rest

10x1 get-ups 32 kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 2nd

90 sec rest

10x1 get-ups 32 kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 4th

90 sec rest

10x1 get-ups 32 kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 7th

S&S routine, timed (but failed)

1 min rest

10x1(+ one botched)  get-ups 32 kg

On the first left-hand getup I lost balance and needed to bail out from it. No harm done, luckily. I rested till the end of one-minute interval and re-did the rep. The rest of the routine went well.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Mortimer said:

I take it you were trying to cut down the rest period?

Yes, I was going to try with only 1 min rest between swings and get-ups. This is program's goal time routine (5 min for swings, 1 min rest, 10 min for getups). 

I was distracted by thinking about something else instead of focusing on the move. I let the kettlebell rotate around my extended arm in a way I wasn't able to keep my elbow locked anymore, and that's when I needed to bail out. 

After scolding myself  "think what are you doing dumbass!" the rest of reps were fine. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yeah that kind of thing happens now and then. Not sure why some people like listening in to music while lifting, since I rather do a form check. 

I know I was distracted by the gym tv program on various hawker foods in Singapore but the only result was maybe me taking a longer break then usual. So far the only thing I've really been timing my rests are deadlifts. The others are a bit too difficult for me to do with a timed rest ><

Nov. 9th

S&S routine, timed.

1 min rest

10x1 get-ups 32 kg

Okay, this time I could say I did the routine properly. My inner perfectionist points out to some wibbly wobbly moments and shakes head with disapproval, but I wasn't force to bail out of anything. The form needs some improvement, but overall: 

I DID IT!

I met the "Simple" goal of S&S program!

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 11th

S&S routine, timed :)

1 min rest

10x1 get-ups 32 kg

And again - swings left me breathless, but getups were pure fun!

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler