My way towards (next) OCR

Nope, it's rather not dehydration. I suspect blood pressure issues or sinuses acting up again. Especially today I got same headache during swings. Not that severe, but still. I found some reddit post about same problem - there was solution to do more warming up before main part to raise blood pressure in more steady manner. Gotta try this next training.

And today:

Feb. 8th

S&S routine - timed

3x20 2H swings 40kg

2x20 2H swings 32kg

1 min rest

10x1 TGU 32kg

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Feb. 10th

S&S routine - bit of extra rest

ONE ARM SWINGS!!!

2x10 24kg

4x10 32kg

4x10 mixed weight - Right 32kg, Left 24kg (I know, this leads to imbalances in strength, but left hand gets tired/starts to hurt pretty fast)

1 min rest

get-ups:

2x1 40kg !!!

30 sec extra rest

8x1 32kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Funny, but no. 

I think the conclusion is - the issue is based on blood pressure jumping rapidly when I start two-handed 40kg swings. Maybe too much load on my cardio system?

If sinuses were the case, any load with this move would cause pain, but this time there was any headache. 

And about strong and STRONGER side - I know it's normal. The problem here is I hurt my non-dominant hand, so this side being weaker from the beginning, now gets even less stimuli to progress. But again - time will tell how far the damage went and how much of this I can heal up.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Feb. 12th

No time for full training, but...

100 reps of  32kg swings - mixed one handed and two handed to challenge, but not overload injured side.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Feb. 15th

I found a way to do all my swings one handed, with 23kg Kettlebell! As I do my S&S in EMOM style, I have 20 swings every minute, so... I just divided left reps so I do 5 left, 10 right and again 5 left in every set. This takes about 30-40 seconds, so I still have about 20 seconds of rest at the end of the set. This gives my injured finger enough time to rest and recover. 

And on top of that - ditching the timer and taking extra rest was enough for me to crush FOUR 40kg getups :D 

S&S (untimed)

10x10  SW 32kg

4x1 TGU 40kg!

6x1 TGU 32kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Feb. 17th

S&S (untimed)

6x10  SW 32kg

~1min rest

4x10  SW 32kg

1min rest

2x1 TGU 40kg

~1.5min rest

tried but failed another 40kg set, so went down with weight and did

8x1 TGU 32kg in 6 minutes (ditched EMOM and did the getups almost continuously).

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Feb. 19th

Trying to time my workout last time was detrimental to heavy getups - turns out I may stick either to timer OR to weights - not to both right now. Knowing this, depending on how much time is at hand I can plan my weights ahead.

S&S (untimed)

10x10  1H SW 32kg

4x1 TGU 40kg

6x1 TGU 32kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Feb. 22nd

No training today :( Got stuck at work - 10 hours of trying to fix broken grinder. My energy bar is empty...

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Piggy bank... I like it :D 

And looks like additional rest days helped me today with...

Feb. 24th

S&S TIMED!

10x10  1H SW 32kg

4x1 TGU 40kg

6x1 TGU 32kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

There's an old nerd fitness article talking about it. It's even better if you're a Tolkien fan. 

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/tolkien-fitness/

Specifically, "Deep roots are not reached by the frost." 

We're all human, we can't have a perfect year with perfect workouts and perfect eating. A few deviations isn't going to make much difference in the big scheme of things since it's not as if we're actors or actresses who have a tight schedule to look a certain way by deadlines. We'll get there, eventually. This is speaking from personal experience. Before I got married I was like how do I get my six pack etc - now I am in complete control of my diet - I can see my bodyfat percentage decreasing - sure its not very fast but yes it's happening. (Anyway at this stage I can't do it fast - I don't have that much bodyfat to lose - last BF scale showed 18.9 %BF) 

Life is a marathon, not a sprint. 

And yeah I think my weights have been improving since I've had less time to spend on running. Most noticeably on the pull up section. 

• Like 1

Sigh. Tried to S&S yesterday. Did my swings. Then kids started fighting so my training session went bananas... Will try again today :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

I guess "weight" has to be as skillful as the lifter in this situation :D

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Feb. 27th

Tadaa!

S&S timed

10x10  1H SW 32kg

4x1 TGU 40kg

6x1 TGU 32kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

New training schedule.  Instead of Mo-We-Fri I will do my S&S Tu-Th-Sat. Same intervals, but easier to fit in considering job and current situation (home-schooling etc). Also some pull ups here and there (rather randomly, but at least couple dozens a week) - I think it will be good to re-learn this before OCR season - especially my family wants to participate as well :) 

And speaking of OCR - I just got my compensation (thanks Insurance Company ❤️) - I think spending it for OCR fees is fine idea :D. There will be "standard version" OCR for me, "newbie version" for wife and a family one for the whole gang :devilish:

But for now - back to reality. No progress in numbers, but for this week I will keep honing what I have now. 

Mar. 2nd

S&S timed

10x10  1H SW 32kg

4x1 TGU 40kg

6x1 TGU 32kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

S&S lacks any serious upper back stimulation. For improving pull-ups, you need add actual pull-ups (or some form of their progression) to the mix :) The only way I can think of the S&S would help is improving overall conditioning - but again, this is rather miniscule influence.

With OCRs the situation is... "dynamic". Organizers try to fit into legal restrictions, said restrictions can change any day... One great thing is IF the event will be cancelled/postponed due to changing restrictions, the fee isn't lost, but just transferred to another event with same formula. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Mar. 4th

S&S timed

10x10  1H SW 32kg

4x1 TGU 40kg

6x1 TGU 32kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Mar. 6th

S&S timed

10x10  1H SW 32kg

4x1 TGU 40kg

6x1 TGU 32kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Mar. 9th

S&S untimed

10x10  1H SW 32kg

4x1 TGU 40kg

6x1 TGU 32kg

Decided to go easy today, without the timer. I was feeling... meh. On top of that my kids had guests who left quite late keeping me from training till the evening.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Mar. 11th

S&S untimed

10x10  1H SW 32kg

4x1 TGU 40kg

6x1 TGU 32kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Mar 13th

This time I wanted to test something. Out of curiosity, instead usual 1 set (10R+10L) EMOM, I did my swings in 2 sets non stop, rest, another 2 sets, rest, last set. Surprisingly I made those in time, so went with the flow and completed the routine with the timer.

S&S timed

10x10  1H SW 32kg

4x1 TGU 40kg

6x1 TGU 32kg

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

For me I actually swing continuously and the only rest break I take is between arm swings and TGU, and when I have to deload for TGU. That's why I get irritated when I can't do all TGUs at arm swings weight but I understand TGUs are a lot harder. Usually when my TGU catches up with arm swings I take it as a sign to progress arm swings.