My way towards (next) OCR

Nov. 2nd

Running

5.25km, 29min 35sec - 5.63 min/km pace

I ran in temps below 10C. My running clothes did the job keeping me warm and the run was quite nice. Only the wind wasn't nice. And a slight drizzle. But apart of that, it was fine.

Food: 2603kcal, 167g protein

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Nov. 3rd

Rest day. Only morning stretching and Sun Salutations in the evening.

Food: 2598kcal, 160.5g protein. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

On 11/3/2019 at 1:55 PM, aramis said:

Nov. 2nd

Running

5.25km, 29min 35sec - 5.63 min/km pace

I ran in temps below 10C. My running clothes did the job keeping me warm and the run was quite nice. Only the wind wasn't nice. And a slight drizzle. But apart of that, it was fine.

Food: 2603kcal, 167g protein

How does wind affect? Does it actually push you backwards or is it wind chill factor? 

I wouldn't say it pushes me back, but definitely creates resistance. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 4th

Workout (back):

3x superset:

- pull-ups followed immediately by assisted pull-ups (5+5)

- 10x face pulls (7kg / 15lb on cable),

- 10x trap raises,

- 10x body rows with feet on chair, 

- rest 2 min

20x KB swings (16kg/35lb)

15x per side KB clean and press (alternating arms for each rep)

Stretching

Sun Salutations.

Damn, inviting my kid to do KB clean&press with me (I gave him 2kg dumbbell) ended in him being my personal trainer, shouting "One more!" at every rep. That's motivation :D 

Food: 2476kcal, 156.5g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yayyy it's awesome to get your kids on the fitness wagon too! I know my fitness buddy who was doing Spartan burpees challenge his son at 4 joined him for the burpees and he's adorable lol! 

How old is your kid? Usually internets says that just get them started with body work types and no need to be that rigid a plan - I.e bear crawling, frog jumping, etc. 

• Like 1

F. (the older one) is 9 y.o. and he is one I started inviting to train with me. Younger one is 5.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 5th.

Workout (burpees):

15min timer, 95! reps. 

Today was a good day for burpees :D 

Stretching - Sun Salutations and some various stretches for arms and upper body.

Food: 2574kcal, 160.5g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

My burpee routine is based on some challenge, where you need to do 100 reps and track your time, but with a time limit of 15min. If you don't do 100 reps in time, you record how many you did. So when I crank my numbers up, I will be ending at 100 reps and record time, but for now - I have still some reps to squeeze :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 6th

Workout (full body):

3x superset:

- max pull-ups (5),

- 10x KB halos each side (16kg/35lb)

- 15x weighted squats (22.7kg/50lb),

- 12x KB clean and press each side (struggled on last set, but did it!)

- 20x KB swing

- 10x body rows with feet on a chair,

- 10x glute bridge, 

- 16x decline push-ups with feet on a chair,

- 2 min rest.

Usual stretching - arms/upper body + Sun Salutations.

Food: 2561kcal, 167g protein.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 7th.

Workout (burpees):

15 min timer, 81 reps. 

My mood right now:

Spoiler

cb5.png

Food: 2567kcal, 161g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yeah, I know. But doing 80 when two days earlier I cranked up to 95 is... disappointing. Bah, nevermind.

Nov. 8th

Workout (back):

3x superset:

- 10x face pulls (7kg / 15lb on cable),

- 10x trap raises,

- rest 2 min

12x per side KB clean and press (alternating arms for each rep)

Stretching

Sun Salutations.

Food: 2598kcal, 163g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 9th

Running:

5.25km, 29'45'' - average 5.67 pace.

Slower than my best, but I refuse to stress about it. I'm fine with anything in 5.5 - 5.8 pace range. I don't work on run faster - I work on keeping my runs consistent given incoming winter.

And speaking of it - this time the temp was 9C (48F), no strong wind, but slight drizzle. And some puddles and mud. Which was nice, as it gave me additional challenge in planning my steps ahead and working on stability. 

Food: 2589kcal, 161g protein.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Mud! Arrrgghhh I hate running in mud! 

-> Is a spoilt city brat. 

Out of curiosity I suppose if it is muddy you try to avoid the muddy patches as they may be slippery? 

Anyway unless you're aiming for some kind of timing for your next road race I don't find it productive to push yourself through increasingly adverse conditions. If you twist your ankle on slippery ground it'd put you out of training even longer ><

11 hours ago, Mortimer said:

you try to avoid the muddy patches

11 hours ago, Mortimer said:

I don't find it productive to push yourself through increasingly adverse conditions

To both - it depends. Remember I train for OCR. There will be mud. Lots of. So I may purposefully run into mud or step on a stone/root to familiarize my ankles with such situations (of course always in control). 

I like to think I have some sort of ballistic/targeting computer in my head (like in Terminator movie) that analyzes terrain and shows where my next couple steps should land. This way I can prepare my ankle for extra stabilization needed on this specific step. 

Nov. 10th

rest day

Food: 2515kcal, 165.5g protein.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

I'm also doing OCR, but I know the last time I trail ran, I used skaters drill techniques taught by the local run group to avoid unstable terrain(muddy patches, rocks, tree roots) . 

Like the way this guy is doing it in YouTube video:

Yes on trail runs you need to be on the ball else you can end up twisting your ankle. And plan your steps. Do I have to get my shinny shoes muddy? =P

Which reminds me that I haven't gotten actual trail running shoes yet. Considering if I really need to buy a pair of shoes for trail running /Spartan or just use my road race shoes. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Mortimer said:

I haven't gotten actual trail running shoes yet. Considering if I really need to buy a pair of shoes for trail running /Spartan or just use my road race shoes

If your OCR will be urban type, don't stress about it. But if muddy one - you gonna kill yourself on a first kilometer in road runners. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Then I advise getting some lugged trail shoes at least. 

I use for my offroad running these shoes as cheap as possible, yet still viable option. For more OCR specific shoes (and more pricy), check this thread.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 11th

Workout (back):

3x superset:

- 6x active hang knee raises,

- rest 2 min

12x per side KB clean and press (alternating arms for each rep)

Replaced face pulls and trap raises (quite isolated moves) for more compound exercise - active (hits upper back and shoulders) hang (works for grip) knee raises (abs and core). More bang for my buck. And it feels, especially in the forearms :D 

Stretching

Sun Salutations, arms, shoulders, forearms/wrists.

Food: 2602kcal, 162g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler