My way towards (next) OCR

June 24th:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - chicken stew, grilled veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrot frozen mix) - 696kcal, 98g protein

Dinner - stir-fried veggie mix, rice, fried eggs - 452kcal, 25g protein

Supper - cottage cheese blended with protein powder, sunflower kernels and strawberries, scoop of ice cream - 719kcal, 65g protein

Drinks - black coffee, water. Morning coffee with 100ml whole milk - 60kcal, 3g protein

Total 1927kcal, 191g protein.

Proteins slightly over target, but still in safe area.

Workout (strength):

warmup - 5min elliptical

8 | 8 | 7  assisted pull-ups 

1x10 negative pull-ups

3x circuit (20 squats with exercise band, 15 push-ups)

streching - bit of dynamic strech, bit of yoga poses

As pull-ups and chin-ups are closer to 3x8, I will switch to thinner exercise band to give myself less assistance. I also think on getting a sandbag (I don't want a barbell, as it takes too much space) for weighted squats, as the band isn't comfortable, and it gives most resistance only in upper part of move.

• Like 4

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

June 25th:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - chicken stew, grilled veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrot frozen mix) - 696kcal, 98g protein

Dinner - fried sausage, cucumber and tomato salad, sugarless churros, scoop of banana ice-cream - 591kcal, 34g protein

Shake - protein powder on water - 120kcal, 23 protein

Supper -quark with white mulberries - 460kcal, 29g protein

Drinks - black coffee, water. Morning coffee with 100ml whole milk - 60kcal, 3g protein

Total 1927kcal, 187g protein.

After some consideration, I decided to widen my protein target to somewhere around 170-190g, which is high end of safe spectrum (76kg x 2,5 g/kg = 190g). 

Workout (running):

~5km, 31 min. - 3min marching warmup, 8x (1,5min jog, 2min walk),  2min cooldown. Stretching afterwards. 

Music with proper beat and interval timer app are really making this way more fun than before :)

• Like 3

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

June 26th:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Dinner - fried fish and eggs, cucumber and tomato salad, sugarless churros - 435kcal, 32g protein

Supper -quark with white mulberries - 651kcal, 29g protein

Total 1842kcal, 162g protein.

Yeah, I forgot to get my after-workout shake...

Workout (strength):

warmup - 5min elliptical

8 | 10 | 6  body rows from ground level (no incline anymore, YAY)

20 | 15 | 20 | 16 | 20 | 17  squats/push-ups circuit

I need to put on more resistance for squats, as they tend to be too easy, and I don't feel like doing more of them. I will try weighted backpack again, or maybe sandbag. 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

I know prisioner squats, but to add resistance I'm doing squats with band like this. One legged are fun, but I tend to tip over to the side. For now I want some weight to simulate barbell (weight placed on top of my back), without actual barbell. 

Anyway, yesterday's report:

June 27th:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Dinner - pork cutlet, potatoes with bit of butter, fresh tomato, fresh cucumber - 646kcal, 23g protein

Shake - protein powder on water - 120 kcal, 23g protein

Supper -quark and onion omelette - 415kcal, 38g protein

Total 1937kcal, 185g protein.

Workout (running):

something over 5km, ~34 min. - 3min marching warmup, 10x (1,5min jog, 1min walk), 1 penalty rep, 3min cooldown. Stretching afterwards. 

Switched to next stage of None-to-Run, on one run segment needed to switch to walk 10sec earlier, so gave myself one penalty rep at the end. It was agonizing experience. I LOVE IT!

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

June 28th:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Dinner - pork cutlet, bacon and mozarella omelette, fresh tomato and cucumber - 987kcal, 53g protein

Supper - quark, handful of puffed rice, blueberries, half serving of protein powder - 178kcal, 28g protein

Total 1921 kcal, 182 g protein.

Workout (strength):

warmup - 5min elliptical

6 | 6 | 6  (all sets to failure) assisted chin-ups

10 neg. chin-ups

30 | 16 | 30 | 17 | 30 | 15  prisoner squats/push-ups circuit

Lower reps on chin-ups because I used weaker band for assistance. Didn't push myself on negatives, because my bicep started to sting. 

Changed band resisted squats to prisoner squats out of boredom. Upped reps to tire myself. Got bored while squatting so many times. Gotta get a sandbag ASAP.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

June 29th:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - canned red beans, tuna, cottage cheese - 603kcal, 75g protein

Dinner - chicken thigh in gravy, potatoes, green beans, tomato and cucumber salad - 591kcal, 44g protein

Supper - ice cream made of quark, Greek yogurt, raspberries, 1 serv. protein powder and rolled oats - 652kcal, 60g protein

Total 1906 kcal, 182 g protein.

Workout (running):

5km, 31min - 3min marching warmup, 10x (1,5min jog, 1min walk), 3min cooldown. Stretching afterwards.

This time I chose different route, without so steep elevations and the run was so much easier... I think IF I was to run on a leveled track, I would probably do this 5K without switching to walking already. But I won't. I am stubborn, and set my mind on trail running and OCR. So I won't half-ass my running by going easy route. Ya hear me, you lousy "go-easy-on-yourself" shoulder gnome?

• Like 2

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yes running uphill takes a lot out of you. Been there, done that. My advice on hills is to go slow, take smaller steps. Also swing your arms more like you're trying to propel yourself uphill. My breathing pattern also becomes nose double inhale, but mouth exhale because I need more oxygen for uphill work. 

Once you're going downhill, you can speed down as fast as you think it's safe to do so and make up for lost time (usually I zip down quite fast because I haven't really learnt to brake =P) Trail running also is quite tricky because you need to keep an eye out all the time so your feet land on a relatively flat spot and you don't slip or turn your ankle.

I did some before but it was a one off thing only since I was preparing for charity run in case I really needed to run on trails, at least I wouldn't be caught flat footed. Running on sand also takes like 25% more energy, I have not tried running on wet sand yet. 

And yeah my weekday lunch run(when I do it) = run uphill (105m high) and back down for total 2.8km in 28 degree Celsius weather =P The hill has proper trail and is forested so it isn't that hot though. 

• Like 1

Just chiming in to say 1 leg squats are great for runners, specifically because it is hard to balance.  If you tip over you probably could be doing more stability work. Keeping your hips level while pressing with one leg makes you a better runner - more efficient power transfer and less injuries.  If you Google "hip drop" you'll find articles that explain it better.

(But get a sandbag anyways. Sandbags are awesome.)

• Like 2

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

21 hours ago, Mortimer said:

I have not tried running on wet sand yet

I can assure you, wet sand (like at seaside) is great for walking and running. It's hard enough not to slow you down, yet soft enough for very comfortable cushioning - especially barefoot.

17 hours ago, Pecs said:

I took a mini vacation

I hope you enjoyed it :)

17 hours ago, Pecs said:

your runs are going so well it's almost scary

The heatwave is still upon us. And I told you before - looks like I'm a lizard. The hotter it gets, the better I perform :D

9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

1 leg squats are great for runners

If so, I may introduce them to my workout.

9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

get a sandbag anyways

I looked at prices of those things... ugh.

For now my makeshift contraption must suffice. It's strong canvas sack with trashcan sac inside, filled with sand and covered entirely with silver duct tape. Looks like medium sized pillow. And weights 22.7kg (50lb). Looks funny but fits comfortably my upper shoulders/neck so I'll stick with it for a while.

And now - report:

June 30th:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - ham and cheese toasts - 362kcal, 17g protein

Dinner - potato and broccoli omelette with fried spam - 1085kcal, 58g protein

Supper - ice cream made of quark, protein powder and raspberries - 411kcal, 67g protein

Total 1918 kcal, 145 g protein.

My lunch plans were different, but as kids left some breakfast toasts, I decided to eat this instead. This lowered my proteins, but I don't care too much as it was rest day. 

Dinner was "throw everything in the pot and see what happens" recipe, but turned way tastier than I suspected. Need to remember this dish. And supper was "save what you can" in terms of protein. Way too much protein powder for my taste. 

Workout - none (rest day).

But I spent time actively - playing with kids, doing house chores and cooking. And building my sand pillow :D

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

The last time I tried running on the beach barefoot, my feet started peeling like a lizard! 

But here it is not safe to run on the beach barefoot. People have beach parties then throw their beer bottles on the sand ><

Spam makes anything taste good, and spam and potatoes go well. I am not sure now if spam is too oily for me, though. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Just chiming in to say 1 leg squats are great for runners, specifically because it is hard to balance.  If you tip over you probably could be doing more stability work. Keeping your hips level while pressing with one leg makes you a better runner - more efficient power transfer and less injuries.  If you Google "hip drop" you'll find articles that explain it better.

(But get a sandbag anyways. Sandbags are awesome.)

Do I have to one leg squat? 

*whines*

I'll see when I get to give it a shot, though. I need to find a pillar to grab for balance. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

running on the beach barefoot, my feet started peeling like a lizard

Moving over sand - first spa treatment in history! And on top of abrasive sand, salty water additionally dies your skin.

1 hour ago, Mortimer said:

People have beach parties then throw their beer bottles on the sand

Bastards :angry:

We don't have Caribbean-style clean beaches either, but at least most people are well-mannered enough to put their trash in bins. Or drunk enough not to throw them...

57 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

I need to find a pillar to grab for balance

One word - door frame (okay, it's two words).

Of course if you have doorstep flush with floor. With protruding one it would be tricky (but still doable). 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

July 1st

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - chicken stew, grilled veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrot frozen mix) - 575kcal, 75g protein

Dinner - potato and broccoli omelette with fried quark, fresh tomato - 804kcal, 64g protein

Supper - toast with sausage and mozarella, fresh tomato - 528kcal, 33g protein

Total 1967 kcal, 175 g protein.

I will lower a bit my protein intake. My doc gives me hard time about it. For now, I will gradually go towards 150g daily, which is still almost 2g/kg. 

Workout (strength):

warm-up

6 | 6 | 6 assisted pull-ups

10 negative pull-ups

15 squats with my new sand pillow :)

20 push-ups

I cut my workout short because of my way too long "warm-up", provided my wind and thunderstorm.. 

It started like this:

Spoiler

DSC_1251.thumb.JPG.6c4b2aaee66e32c710198fae60992aa8.JPG

ended like this

Spoiler

DSC_1291.thumb.JPG.555d12dd46aeb58b4163c2a97fb30c14.JPG

and took 3 hours (6pm to 9pm).

Yes, I'm THAT cool. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

July 2nd

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - chicken stew, grilled veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrot frozen mix) - 575kcal, 75g protein

Dinner - pork neck stew, potatoes, stewed cabbage - 660kcal, 27g protein

Shake - protein powder on water - 120kcal, 23g protein

Supper - canned herring in tomato sauce, quark, fresh tomato, two breadsticks, 1serv of fiber - 484kcal, 43g protein

Total 1899 kcal, 171 g protein.

Cabbage! Yummy, yummy stewed young cabbage. 

Workout (running):

4.5km, 31min - 3min marching warmup, 10x (1,5min jog, 1min walk), 3min cooldown. Stretching afterwards.

A bit shorter distance, but through fields, so I needed to run slower. This way I only did like 200m on asphalt, the rest was offroad.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

On 7/2/2019 at 2:10 PM, aramis said:

July 1st

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - chicken stew, grilled veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, carrot frozen mix) - 575kcal, 75g protein

Dinner - potato and broccoli omelette with fried quark, fresh tomato - 804kcal, 64g protein

Supper - toast with sausage and mozarella, fresh tomato - 528kcal, 33g protein

Total 1967 kcal, 175 g protein.

I will lower a bit my protein intake. My doc gives me hard time about it. For now, I will gradually go towards 150g daily, which is still almost 2g/kg. 

Workout (strength):

warm-up

6 | 6 | 6 assisted pull-ups

10 negative pull-ups

15 squats with my new sand pillow :)

20 push-ups

I cut my workout short because of my way too long "warm-up", provided my wind and thunderstorm.. 

It started like this:

Hide contents

DSC_1251.thumb.JPG.6c4b2aaee66e32c710198fae60992aa8.JPG

ended like this

Hide contents

DSC_1291.thumb.JPG.555d12dd46aeb58b4163c2a97fb30c14.JPG

and took 3 hours (6pm to 9pm).

Yes, I'm THAT cool. 

OMG that happened while you were working out? Gee good thing you didn't get hurt! 

Also I'm a spoilt brat who only runs on asphalt =P But yes, the one time I did run on a dirt track (just to see if I could), I had to run slower so I had more reaction time to judge where to place my feet. 

29 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

OMG that happened while you were working out?

Actually, no. It was INSTEAD of my usual workout. I'm a volunteer firefighter. First photo shows inside of our fire engine while we drive to those fallen trees. 

I train running in the "wild", as I do it purely for OCR purposes. So, the worse terrain, the better :) 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

In some places (in state Fire Departments),  there are sliding poles, but we volunteers don't have all this fancy stuff. The difference is state FD employs firefighters who are present at firestation in 24/48 hour cycle. We volunteers are a bunch of average Joes living their lives, but when the alarm siren goes off we drop whatever we were doing and rush to our station to go and help people. We are officially trained, have our insurance paid by local authorities, we are given equipment and tools but we are not paid for our service (we do it voluntarily). 

And in case of a tree blocking the road (or leaning dangerously over) we just cut it to pieces and shove it on the roadside. And sweep the road. This time we needed help from our state FD because there were 3 trees leaning against another one, and in such setup you can't cut from the bottom (everything could fall down on you). So the Basket Lift truch from state FD came to help us cut trees from the top down.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Can you cut a tree from the top

Yes, that's the trick in tight spaces. Get high enough and cut tree piece by piece all the way down.  Something like in this movie

but we don't climb trees, just use ladder/basket lift truck. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler