Sept. 4th

Workout:

warmup - RKC plank, walking jacks, arm circles

3x superset:

- max pull-ups (3),

- 15x weighted squats,

- 15x KB press each side,

- max body rows (12),

- max decline push-ups with feet on a chair (12)

for dessert: RKC plank 6x10sec, 20sec rest.

Stretching: Sun Salutations

After being advised in other thread I modified my routine to give more focus to my back muscles. Also I tried to do unassisted pull-ups and chin-ups. AND I DID THREE!!!! So my exercise band will be discarded for some time. 

Food: 2538kcal, 151g protein.

• Like 2

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Thank you :) 

Chin-ups are easier, since bicep does lot of work with underhand grip. 

Sept. 5th

Running: 5.25km, 30.5min (5.8 pace). 

This time I ran on the road (again), because my kids were... less than optimal ... and I couldn't get my running done in the afternoon. So I went running after putting them to sleep, but at this time it's already getting dark and I don't want to risk some injury from rough terrain. So, road it was.

Food: 2603kcal, 147g protein.

As my weight is finally stable for more than two weeks, I'm upping a bit my caloric intake (I target 10% increase, which will set me at 2750kcal) to create means for muscle gain. In other words - I need MOAR food!

BTW, I picked CT scan results on my way home yesterday. I don't have any brain aneurysm! The suspicious thing doctors saw on MRI scan is in fact only some arteries forking in not-so-common way, but it's in no way dangerous for me. Phew :)

• Like 3

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Yay! I'm happy to hear that the medical report come out clean because you've really been putting a phenomenal effort on your fitness! 

And yes, don't run in the dark off road. I heard there are grues there. Sorry, used to D&D a lot, couldn't resist =P

But an injury will put you out of training even longer then a missed run(my ripped callus is a prime example). 

• Like 1

Weekend recap:

Sept. 6th - 8th

I went for a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe themed LARP. It was 24h event (6am Sat - 6am Sun) located in deep woods with only one building and a tent campsite. I got there Friday evening, and left at Sunday around 10am. 

Friday workout (before heading off):

warmup - RKC plank, walking jacks, arm circles

3x superset:

- max chin-ups (set 1 - 5 reps, set 2 - 4 reps, set 3 - 3 reps),

- 15x weighted squats (22.7kg/50lb),

- 15x KB press each side (7kg/15lb),

- max body rows with feet on a chair (8),

- max decline push-ups with feet on a chair (12).

for dessert: RKC plank 6x10sec, 20sec rest.

Saturday during the game I did 11 km of hiking through forest. I think it counts as "fun activity" workout :)

Food: 

Friday (incl. dinner) - 1686kcal, 134g protein, and supper at the event - 4 grilled weisswurst wrapped in napa cabbage and a craft beer. 

Saturday - three bowls of beans soup, half of Polish military ration. 

Sunday - canned meat from ration as breakfast, later at home 1640kcal, 62g protein.

Sunday as rest day was filled with house chores, batch cooking and drying all my LARP stuff (it was raining most of the time).

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Sept. 9th

Workout:

3x superset:

- max pull-ups (set 1 - 3 reps, set 2 and 3 - 2 reps),

- 15x KB press each side (7kg/15lb),

- max body rows with feet on a chair (8),

- max decline push-ups with feet on a chair (12).

Finish: RKC plank 6x10sec, 20sec rest.

I finally got the 16kg KB I've bought, but I've sent it back. I didn't checked the dimensions and material - it turned out it was one of those concrete KB covered in plastic. Damn this thing was huge. No chance to do KB press with 30cm (1foot) diameter bell... I need to look for cast iron one. TIL...

Food: 

2750kcal, 170.5g protein. 

Calories on point (I'm increasing to create surplus for muscle gain), proteins bit high. But I made for supper grilled zucchini boats with herbs and mozzarella... lots of mozzarella. Couldn't stop myself from eating half the tray...

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

In the woods there is place for both "goat mode" and "ghost mode" :). It heavily depends on tree species and age of the forest. It all determines how much space you have between trees, the type of litter and shrubs etc. When there is lots of place, I like to walk in "ghost mode" - make as little sound as I can. Then I can hear all the nature noises - birds above, rodents in the litter, rain dripping on the leaves, wind between the branches.

On the other occasions I like to goat around playing forest parkour, climbing fallen trees, boulders, jumping across streams etc. 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

I forgot to log yesterday, so two days in one post.

Sept. 10th

Sprints: 7 x 125m uphill, walk back down.

Food: 2721kcal, 152g protein.

Sept. 11th

Workout:

3x superset:

- max chin-ups (5 | 5 | 4),

- 4x KB press each side (16kg/35lb),

- 15x KB swing

- max body rows with feet on a chair (8),

- max decline push-ups with feet on a chair (13).

After failed attempt at buying KB over the internet I looked at local "flea market" ads (site similar to craigslist). It turned out someone in nearby city is selling cast iron ones at quite low price. I went there, checked kettles and bought one. It is three times smaller than concrete one and fits me way better. For now it's only press and swings, but KB exercises seem fun and I can't wait to try get-ups and cleans. 

Food: 2820kcal, 138g protein.

Overate less than 100kcal over my target. Considering I took my boys to friend's kid birthday party with cake, pizza, cookies etc I see it as quite an accomplishment :)

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Sept. 12th

Running: 5.15km offroad, 28min (5.5 pace)

Food: 2756kcal, 155.5g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Sept. 13th

Friday the 13th! YAY!

Workout:

3x superset:

- max pull-ups (3),

- 4x KB press each side (16kg/35lb),

- 15x KB swing

- max body rows with feet on a chair (8),

- max decline push-ups with feet on a chair (13).

Food: 2723kcal, 163g protein.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Sept. 14th

Saturday workout should be some sort of "fun activity", but instead I cleaned my boys' room for couple hours and walked 3km in the process. To throw in something more, I took a test drive to Turkish GetUps with 7kg KB - it was fun. Let's call this a mobility drill. Tried to do TGU with 16kg KB, but on the right arm it was bloody tough and on the left I failed in half. I think I'll stay at 7kg for now. 

Food: 2694kcal, 146g protein.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Funnily enough I met up with my friend yesterday and we were talking about the Turkish getup. I was looking at the movement and went eh. I think I'll do it without weights(or maybe 500g weight) until I get the movement down pat as it looks complicated and I'm sorta... Clumsy. Yes. It's the bad C word. She seconded me on it since she said it's easy to pull muscles doing it if you don't do it right. 

• Like 2

Yeah, TGU is demanding - that's why I said pass on 16kg KB. 

Sept. 15th

Rest day, so no workout. Took kids to fire brigades' competition, later did some cooking and went for 4km walk in the evening.

Food: 2536kcal, 144.5g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Sept. 16th

Workout:

3x superset:

- max pull-ups (3),

- 5x KB push-press each side (16kg/35lb),

- 15x KB swing

- max body rows with feet on a chair (10),

- max decline push-ups with feet on a chair (14).

Switched from KB press to push press because of my poor form on regular press - I will strengthen muscles with easier one and then switch back to regular.

Also, Im thinking on overhauling my routine. I want to focus on upper back to be able to do pull-ups easier. And maybe core/lower back for stronger trunk (I'm thinking handstands :)). Arms, chest and legs are okay for now and I want to balance my fitness level in all the regions. I'm thinking on devoting two workouts a week to back and core, and one for full body exercises to prevent backslide. 

Any suggestions on specific routines (bodyweight or kettle) for (upper) back and core?

Food: 2632kcal, 151g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Sept. 17th

Sprints: 8 x 125m uphill, walk back down.

Food: 2753kcal, 156.5g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Sept. 18th

Workout:

3x superset:

- max pull-ups (3),

- 5x KB press or push-press each side (16kg/35lb),

- 15x KB swing

- max decline push-ups with feet on a chair (14).

Right arm did KB press, left arm 2-3 presses and rest push-press.

Food: 2754kcal, 156g protein.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

There are many events in the series during the year, in various locations. I want to run in the spring, maybe summer. For now, runs up to March are announced, so I need to wait a bit more to find one I want to participate.  

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Sept. 19th

Running: 5.25km offroad, 28min20sec - 5.4 pace!

Turns out my lizard nature went away with summer. This time was first time running in colder conditions - until now all my runs were in temps at 20C (68F) or above (up to 35C/95F). This time it was only 9C/48F. It was weird to run in long pants and long sleeved shirt...

Food: 2750kcal, 150.5g protein.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

I thought hot was good, but it seems cold is good too :)

Combined report on last three days:

Sept. 20th

Starting my upper back/core-focused workouts for Mon and Fri workouts, Wed will be normal full-body routine. We'll see how it goes.

Workout (back+core):

3x superset:

- max pull-ups (3),

- 3x 10sec RKC plank, 20s rest,

- 6x face pull (resistance band),

- 6x trap raise (resistance band),

- 6x hip thrust +22,7kg/50lb,

Food: 2754kcal, 156g protein.

Sept. 21st 

Left home at 5AM and headed to airsoft milsim event. Lots of walking, bit of running, some sneaking. And of course airsoft shootouts :) 

Walking: 15.8km/9.8miles

Food: 2752kcal, 140g protein. No fresh veggies, mostly canned meals from military rations.

Sept. 22nd (rest day)

Night and morning very active (slept less than 4 hours due to enemy attacks on our base). Event ended at 9 AM. Then headed home, organized my stuff and went for a walk with the family.

Walking: 8.5km/5.3miles total.

Food: 2403kcal, 93g protein. Lower than target, but mostly real food (one exception was hot-dog on a gas station on my way home). 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler