My way towards (next) OCR

I'm not sure if I'll find motivation for daily logs, but maybe?

I introduced myself here, and right here is my first 4-week challenge. 

To recap my current long term plans: There is a series of events in Poland called Runmageddon. It's basically OCR like Tough Mudder or Spartan Race. I want to participate, but I realize my overall "fitness level" might be too low to survive. So, I want to prepare myself for this.

To do so, I know I need to work both on my strength and endurance.

The strength part:

I did BBWW every other day for over six weeks. At first I was capable of doing it about 50% (2 circuits with reduced reps), last weeks was 3 circuits with 100% reps (or even a bit more on a good day).

After that I decided to learn pull-ups.

My current workout is pullup exercise followed by 3 circuits of 15 squats with exercise band and 10 pushups (on worse days I switch to max knee pushups on last circuit)

Pullup exercise is:

Mon.

2 x 5 assisted pullups (with exercise band)

1 x max neg. pullups

Wed.

3 x 8 body rows at as low as I can - right now it's about 20 degrees from floor on extended arms

Fri.

2 x 5 assisted chinups (with band)

1 x max neg chinups

The endurance part:

I am learning to run properly. To be fair, it's more like to walk properly right now, but I'll get there eventually.

On my rest days between workouts I take walks. Right now I found myself a nice track I'm willing to stick to for some time.  It's a tech/service road along the highway, mostly gravel with bits of asphalt. Really bumpy in some places.

drop.thumb.JPG.9918089a05636b4c1dde43a0d74182ed.JPG

My village is located on post-glacial terrain and this road goes over moraine hill (photo taken on top), so I have about 40m elevation over 0.5km, then descend to 0 on the other side - see the highway on the right? Start and end of my track is a little below level of highway. And then I turn around and go back :) The steepest part is almost 20% incline, so it doubles ad interval :D  It is 3.2km (2 miles) counting from my doorstep, including 0.5 km to get there. The road over the hill is bit over 1km one way.

In terms of nutrition, I focus on getting enough proteins (more about cause of this in my challenge thread) while not exceeding my calorie limit. I eat vegetable with every meal, prep my food for work and overall try to eat mostly real food. The most factory processed food I eat is cheese, quark and deli meats. I prefer buying stuff and cooking myself. I eliminated bread completely and get my carbs from potatoes/pasta/groats/rice (those are a solid base of every dinner my dad cooks). 

Since my stomach don't like food in the morning, I skip breakfasts and eat only in noon-8pm window. I allow myself a bit of calories in the morning in form of whole milk in my coffee, which is totally fine for my stomach. He's a weird guy... 

And I think that's about everything for introductory post.

P.S.

I forgot about Sunday. It is very important day. Why? BECAUSE IT'S A SLOTH DAY!!!

• Like 5

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

And now - whining.

When I walk, I like to walk fast. Like - 120 steps per min, and since I'm 193cm (6'4'') it puts me in about 6.5km/h speed range. On flat terrain I can go like this for quite long time. But my track has serious elevation (about 20% in the steepest part).

Sooo...

I got some stabbing pain in my left side, something like colic. I managed to overcome it without stopping (yes, sometimes I'm stupidly stubborn) by deep breathing with my chest and shortening my steps to ease a bit without loosing the rhythm. I know it is common for newbies in endurance sports to feel it, and that there is no scientifically confirmed cause, I know hypothesis is it may be diaphragm or intestines contracting, it may be spleen contracting to release more red blood cells in situation of low O2 blood levels etc.

Is there any way to prevent this proactively, or it will just pass as I get better with my endurance training?

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Okay, let's do this.

Today's nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - fried chicken, braised Chinese mix frozen veggies, olive, fried turkey leg - 758kcal, 87g protein

Dinner - white rice, pork stew, green cucumber - 563kcal, 26g protein

Post-workout shake - protein powder with whole milk - 230kcal, 27g protein

Supper - smoked cod, skimmed quark and tomatoes - 198kcal, 42g protein

Drinks - black coffee, water. Morning coffee with 100ml whole milk - 60kcal, 3g protein

Total - 1809kcal, 185g protein.

Today my eating times were a mess - lunch was OK, but later... I left work on time but got in unexpected traffic, so I came home half an hour later than expected and didn't had time to eat. I went straight to school where my older son's class were organizing "Family Day" with board games. As my friend has a collection of over 250 titles, he borrowed me some of them for the event, hence I was responsible for games and couldn't be late. 

It luckily ended quite fast and I managed to be back at home at 6:30, so when my kids were watching cartoons before bed I was able to do my workout... and after that, I chugged my shake, heat up dinner and finally ate. Now I sit here, bloated after supper and thinking if I manage to sleep well after all this food in the evening...

Luckily, hectic days like this are rare. 

Strength workout:

warmup - 10min elliptical (ca. 1km walk)

3x5 assisted chin-ups with exercise band

1x8 negative chin-ups (to failure)

3x circuit (15 squats with exercise band, 10 push-ups)

streching - bit of dynamic strech, bit of yoga poses

Negatives' reps to failure isn't quite true, I probably could squeeze one or two more, but I felt I was losing form, and didn't want to exhaust my arms because push-ups.

Anyway, I'm happy with being able to complete 3x5 pulls, because last week when I tried to do 3x8 pull-ups, I was able to max out at 6-5-2. I know chin-ups ar easier than pull-ups, but anyway, doing three sets is better than two :)

Not relevant to the topic - I just had a heart attack. Accidentally hit F5 and my browser reloaded the thread. All this wall of text was lost... or was it? Thanks to internet gods keeping an eye on this forum, the editor kept a backup of my soon-to-be post. Be praised, Great One!

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Ugh, it's 10min past my bed time, I'll fill it tomorrow. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Okay, Saturday's recap:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - Cottage cheese, smoked cod, tomatoes - 318kcal, 48g protein

Dinner - mini potatoes, chicken in dough, Napa cabbage salad (with cottage cheese) - 755kcal, 64g protein, 

Shake - protein powder on water - 110kcal, 21g protein

Supper - Scrambled eggs, cottage cheese - 450kcal, 38g protein

Drinks - black coffee, water. Morning coffee with 100ml whole milk - 60kcal, 3g protein

Total - 1693kcal, 174g protein.

This time I was responsible for dinner, so It's more balanced and I didn't need to chug all my proteins in lunch and supper.

First I thought I will be drinking protein shake only after strength workouts, but my walks are quite demanding, so I think a bit of pick-me-up right after walk won't hurt.

This day was very cottage cheese heavy - I realized I bought it with very short shelf life and it expire day after tomorrow. I'm very strict about not throwing food away, so I decided to eat it in a bunch. I digest milk and diary with no problem, so... welcome proteins :)

Running workout:

3.2km walk, 31min. 

I went for a walk 1,5 - 2 hours after dinner. Looks like it was bit too early, because all the way i had slight pain in my lower side, radiating on the center. Something colic-like. It didn't stop me, just gave me something to overcome. The progress from Tuesday I see - incline on the way back didn't slow me so much as then. My pace and stride were more stable.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Hurray OCR convert! :D

For the side stitch, getting fitter does help.  I still get them when my breathing gets labored for several minutes but anything that deepens or slows my breathing helps. Slowing down always works and sometimes just holding a deep breath for a few seconds without slowing works. 

Good luck with your training!

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

12 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

anything that deepens or slows my breathing helps

Yeah, noticed this too - even if pain won't go away completely, it tends to be more manageable. 

4 hours ago, porkkchop said:

Keep it up! 

Thank you, I'm doing my best :)

Sunday:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - two bites of cheese toast from my kid, smoked cod, cottage cheese, tomatoes - 446kcal, 60g protein

Dinner - mini potatoes, chicken in dough, Napa cabbage salad (with spoonful of mayo) - 720kcal, 30g protein

Supper - scraambled eggs with tomatoes and bacon - 488kcal, 32g protein

Drinks - black coffee, water. Morning coffee with 100ml whole milk - 60kcal, 3g protein

Total 1714kcal, 125g protein.

Today I ate less proteins and more fat (mayo, bacon). Why? No real reason. I think I burn it anyway, so...

Workout - none. SLOTH DAY!

Didn't exercise, but took kids to carnivorous plants exhibition, and had a walk in the forest in the afternoon. Didn't sit on my ass even a bit. Oh, and batch cooked my lunch food for the next week. What I cooked? You will see in the next episode...

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Today was a decent day. Work was worke-y, traffic was manageable, the glass shop accepted my claim on botched repair of my car's windshield. Nothing I should be overthinking about. 

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - garlic chicken strips with olive oil, steamed broccoli, cauliflower and mini carrots, fried turkey leg - 625kcal, 92g protein

Dinner - pasta casserole with pork shoulder, mozarella and some other cheese, fresh cucumber - 674kcal, 30g protein, 

Shake - protein powder on water - 110kcal, 21g protein

Supper - quark with dash of soy sauce, smoked cod, tomatoes - 322kcal, 68g protein

Total - 1791kcal, 214g protein.

Ahem... Right... I think I overate on quark. Normally I eat half of packet, this time I added soy sauce and it was soo good I ate whole. Note to self - half packet of quark is enough... 

Workout (strength):

warmup - 5min elliptical

3x5 assisted pull-ups

1x8 negative pull-ups (to failure)

3x circuit (15 squats with exercise band, 10 push-ups) modified*

I wasn't expecting I'll be able to do 3x5 pull-ups. Last time I did 6reps, then 5, then only 2. I won't complain though...

Modification of my circuit - on first set of squats, instead exercise band I used my kid (35kg/77lb) as barbell. Did 10 reps. We both had fun :D

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - garlic chicken strips with olive oil, steamed broccoli, cauliflower and mini carrots, fried turkey leg - 625kcal, 92g protein

Dinner - pasta casserole with pork shoulder, mozarella and some other cheese, fresh cucumber - 674kcal, 30g protein, 

Shake - protein powder on ... coffee! - 110kcal, 21g protein

Supper -smoked cod Napa cabbage sandwich, banana - 305kcal, 37g protein

Total - 1774kcal, 183g protein.

Proteins on point, I was little low on calories, so I ate two bananas after the supper (my target is 1800kcal daily). Cod and cabbage sandwich was bread-less, just fish wrapped in cabbage leafs. Maybe I should call it a burrito? Cabbage burrito... Cabbito?

Funny I didn't think about it earlier, but actually chocolate protein shake made on coffee instead of water is delicious, and still low cal. 

Workout (running) - 3.2km walk, 28min.

I managed to beat my track (almost) without pain in my side while keeping the pace. Today I concentrated on breathing, and used slower tempo than earlier. As I walk about 120 steps per minute, I used to inhale on left, right and then exhale on left, right. This time I tried to double the time (inhale 4 steps, exhale 4 steps), but this didn't work, as I craved more air. So I settled on inhale for 3 steps, then exhale for 3 steps and it worked quite good. Only in the middle of steepest part I switched to 2 step in, 2 step out for more oxygen, and after like 30sec went back to 3 on 3. I will try this again in Thursday, and if it works, maybe I try to jog a little on Saturday walk. 

I got a bit pain on my way back, but it's because neighbour was asking questions and I tried to be polite and answer. But he's talkative, so I cut it with short "sorry, I'm training" and went my way - of course this talking messed my breathing and BAM - stab in the side. But as soon I started breathing evenly ,the pain went away. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

I think I'll switch from updating on given day in the evening to reporting the next day - this way I'll have more time in the evening. We'll see if it'll work.

So, report on yesterday (wed. June 5th)

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Dinner - mini potatoes, Ikea meatballs, Napa cabbage salad with red beans, corn and sunflower seeds - 688kcal, 21g protein 

Shake - protein powder on ... coffee! - 110kcal, 21g protein

Supper -smoked cod, quark with olive oil, green cucumber - 304kcal, 43g protein

Total 1787kcal, 180g protein.

Note to self - quark with olive oil is... meh. Way better with soy sauce. Next time when low on calories, just chug a spoonful of olive and eat it out with supper.

Workout (strength):

warmup - 5min elliptical

3x8 body rows (~20deg from floor)

3x circuit (15 squats with exercise band, 10 push-ups) - on last set push-ups to failure - 15 reps

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

June 6th:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Dinner - mini potatoes with quark fried on butter, fried eggs, green cucumber - 451kcal, 37g protein, 

Supper - smoked cod, green cucumber, handful of mini pretzels, ice coffee with lots of cream - 846kcal, g44 protein

Total - 1981kcal, 176g protein.

I had a hectic day, was eating on the run, even forgot to eat my dinner veg. Grabbed it later on the go from one chore to another. With supper I overate my calories due to ice coffee with lots (~200ml) of thick cream (30% fat). Nevermind. It was worth it. 

Workout (running) - 3.2km walk, 27min.

This was interesting - the rain caught me 5 min into my walk, but I decided to continue. It was warm enough not to be bothered. And I saw beautiful double rainbow on my way. 

dr.thumb.jpg.2e07bb91547281a890bcace72221e412.jpg

Quality not so great, because shot with my potato phone...

• Like 2

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

June 7th

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Dinner - "ruskie" pierogis - 582kcal, 17g protein

at school picnic - watermelon, strawberries, veg shashlik (bell pepper, mini tomatoes, cucumber, olives) - 240kcal, 8g protein 

after workout shake - protein powder on coffee - 110kcal, 21g protein

Supper -smoked cod, quark, green cucumber - 200kcal, 41g protein

Total 1817kcal, 182g protein.

Dinner on the run just before picnic, so I count fruit and veggies there as part of dinner :)

Workout (strength):

warmup - 5min elliptical

3x6 assisted chin-ups 

1x8 (to failure) negative chin-ups

3x circuit (15 squats with exercise band, 12 push-ups) - on last set of squats - 20 reps

Looks like there is progress. +1 chin-up on each set compared to last week, +2 push-ups on every set (but I couldn't do more on last set). Did more squats since they don't tire me enough, even with exercise band (and it's not very comfortable squatting with band). I plan on getting some sort of weight for squats. No barbell though, because it takes too much space. I think weighted backpack for start. 

For recurrence, I started to use timer on my circuit to limit rest between exercises to 30 sec just for catching my breath. Pull exercises are still with 2 min rest between.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

On a side note - I weighted myself this morning and scale shows 77.5kg (171lb). This is stable (+/-1kg) weigh for almost a month (may 12th - 79, may 21st - 80, may 30th - 78), so looks like I found my TDEE.

It's a bit funny, because concerning NerdFitness calculator it is at the level of my BMR. Even with sedetary activity level it overshoots my needs for ~350kcal.  

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

June 8th:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - eggs, quark, mozarella, salmon, tomatoes (in suppose-to-be omelette) - 906kcal, 101g protein

Dinner - vegetable soup with chicken and groats - 200kcal, 10g protein

After workout shake - protein powder on water - 120kcal, 23g protein

Supper - white bun, butter, lean ham, quark, green cucumber - 548kcal, 44g protein

Total 1834kcal, 181g protein.

Needed bigger lunch due to chores at my town's festival. Everything shifted in time because of chores and fact that I needed to take my kids to the festival. I finally ate dinner at about 7pm, supper past 10pm. 

Workout (running):

This time I introduced actual running in a "1 min run, 2 min walk" pattern. Cut "lap time" to 24 min doing 6 run segments. No side pain, nor breathing problems. Sweated like a pig afterwards :D 

Good it was some time after sunset, so temp was perfect - somewhere about 20 C (68 F). During day was hot, even up to 30C/86F.  

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

June 9th

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - eggs on bacon, quark, tomatoes, slice of white bun - 688kcal, 53g protein

Dinner - curry (spice, not a dish) chicken with stir-fried veggies - 288kcal, 29g protein

Supper - bread, butter, smoked cod, green cucumber - 562kcal, 54g protein

Protein shake (1,5 serv) - 180kcal, 35g protein

Total 1778kcal, 174g protein.

No workout (rest day). 

Spent half of my day in the kitchen, batch cooking my lunch food for work, making dinner and cleaning cabinets as it turned out we had pantry moths. Had to throw out so much food - I hate it. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Yeah I hate throwing out food too. I try to find food a nice home - sometimes my fitness buddies - since a whole squad of 18 of us can polish off some ice cream without any of us having too many. 

For breathing patterns, have you tried 2 inhales, one exhale yet? I use it primarily for jogging and if I need more power(going up a hill), my exhale is through my mouth instead of nose. That breathing pattern doesn't cut it for sprints though. 

9 hours ago, Mortimer said:

have you tried 2 inhales, one exhale

You mean inhaling on left foot, right foot, then exhaling on left foot and inhaling right, left? Sounds too fast for me, but I'll give it a try tomorrow. 

9 hours ago, Mortimer said:

I try to find food a nice home

Sadly, all was infested with pantry moth maggots. That's why I needed to throw it away. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

It is fast. The breathing pattern is actually for a jogging/running pace. I mentally sing "We will rock you" by Queens while I run.

We(double inhale) will(exhale), we(double inhale) will(exhale), rock (double inhale) you(exhale), rock (double inhale) you(exhale). 

You could be right on foot cadence. Let me try to run more tests on the treadmill. Yep, at max tempo speed is left foot inhale, right foot inhale, left foot exhale. 

June 10th

Nutrition:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - garlic chicken strips with olive oil, stir-fried Chinese veggie mix- 699kcal, 95g protein

Dinner - potatoes, stewed cabbage, fried eggs - 655kcal, 37g protein

after workout shake - protein powder on water - 120kcal, 23g protein

Supper - quark, green cucumber - 122kcal, 20g protein

Total 1656kcal, 178g protein.

Oops, just realized I forgot to add handful of almonds (already bought new bag :) ) to the supper (so I'm missing 150kcal). 

Workout (strength):

warmup - 5min elliptical

3x6 assisted pull-ups 

1x8 (to failure) negative pull-ups

3x circuit (20 squats with exercise band, 12 push-ups) - on last set of push-ups - 15 reps

I slowly add reps to my circuits just to keep myself exhausted and my muscles "properly broken". 

For  this week (and probably next too) I will set aside my IF protocol. Because of heat, I need to move my workout times way later - like 9pm. And I just need to eat something after working out.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

June 11th

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - garlic chicken strips with olive oil, stir-fried Chinese veggie mix- 699kcal, 95g protein

Dinner - potatoes, stewed cabbage, fried eggs - 545kcal, 28g protein

Supper - quark, canned salmon, green cucumber and almonds - 370kcal, 34g protein

Total 1794kcal, 183g protein.

Workout (running)

3.2 km in 23 min

6 segments of 1 min running and 2 min walking. 

The struggle is real - heatwave is upon us, it's like up to 32-35 C in shade during the day. I switched my workout time for later, but even at 9pm it's still 27C. Running in this temperature is no fun at all. But I did it. I survived. 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Don't run in the day and make sure you stay hydrated

That's why I run in the evening. And always have a bottle of water with me. 

13 minutes ago, Pecs said:

I have no idea how you did it

I'm Polish. We endure things.

And check my sig ;) 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

June 12th:

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Dinner - pasta carbonara, cucumber salad - 670kcal, 44g protein

Supper - tomato and cod sandwich - 268kcal, 18g protein

Total 1817kcal, 183g protein.

Workout (strength):

warmup - 5min elliptical

8 | 8 | 10 body rows from little above ground

3x circuit (20 squats with exercise band, 12 push-ups) - on last set of push-ups - 16 reps! PR!

Won't whine about heatwave, it won't change anything. I'll guess I need to learn to like it. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler