My way towards (next) OCR

July 26th

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - chicken with spinach, rye bread  - 796kcal, 62.5g protein

Dinner - none

Supper - barbecue :(  - 2100kcal, 83g protein

Drinks - black coffee, water. Morning coffee with 200ml whole milk - 120kcal, 6g protein

Total  3016kcal, 151.5 g protein.

I really wanted to eat less today, as yesterday I overate. But as soon as I came home, it turned out our friend will come over for BBQ. I skipped dinner, but ate ton of food anyway. 

Workout (strength):

warmup - 5min elliptical

8 | 6 | 6 assisted chin-ups

10 neg pull-ups

2 x (8 pistol squats (on a bench) each leg, 10 plyometric knee push-ups, 10 good mornings) in circuit

stretching - bit of dynamic stretch, bit of yoga poses

Less reps on chinups, because

1) 1min rest between sets instead of 2min, and

2) I don't want to cheat myself. Earlier I gave myself a little nudge with my toes as I start the movement. This time all the movement was from back and shoulders (without touching the floor).

I only did 2 sets of circuit, because pistol squats killed me. I was trying exercises that don't need ANY equipment (even my sand pillow) in preparation for my vacation, so I went with harder versions. I might search for some weight for good mornings, but I think some water bottles in backpack should do the work. 

• Like 4

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Probably last report in some time, as tomorrow we go for our vacation and I'm not sure if I'll be able/willing to post here while on my leave. We'll see.

July 27th

Nutrition:

Breakfast - none

Lunch - protein shake, tomatoes with olive oil and herbs  - 435kcal, 26g protein

Dinner - leftover BBQ, rye bread, tomatoes - 961kcal, 38.5g protein

Supper - cottage cheese with whey and banana - 630kcal, 37g protein

Drinks - black coffee, water. Morning coffee with 200ml whole milk - 120kcal, 6g protein

Total 2026 kcal, 101.5g protein.

Bit of balancing those two days of overeating. Might limit carbs again because I am hungry all the time (carbs still do this to me - especially pasta, but turns out bread does this too). I'll try to replace them with fats for satiation. 

Workout (running):

33min - 3min marching warmup, 11x (2min jog, 30sec walk), 2.5min cooldown. Stretching afterwards.

Way easier than Thursday, as my legs had a time to regenerate. I actually enjoyed this one. Next week's runs will be 5min run, 2 min walk. We'll see how it'll go.

• Like 3

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Yeah welcome to pistol squat land. I am using a door frame to pull myself up still, but now I am trying to go lower, without door frame, just my hands for balance but I can't go all the way down yet. It's a lot better then the first time I tried with doorframe help that just going down and up kicked my butt. And I was using a lot of arm strength to get myself up and down. Now I try to rely on legs more, arm less.

• Like 1
On 7/28/2019 at 5:56 AM, aramis said:

Bit of balancing those two days of overeating. Might limit carbs again because I am hungry all the time (carbs still do this to me - especially pasta, but turns out bread does this too). I'll try to replace them with fats for satiation. 

I definitely find the carb thing to be true for me. When I binge I know I always reach for carbs, it keeps me hungry and I can eat more and more sugary garbage without being satiated. 

Trying to do do something similar currently and would love to hear about any tips if you come across them.

Okay, back from my vacation.

For the last two weeks I more or less (but rather more) kept my nutrition in check staying around 2500 - 2700 kcal a day. My protein intake was way higher than my theoretical goal (in 140 - 200 gram a day range) due to eating lots of fish (who would eat anything else while at seaside). I decided not to bother with keeping lower proteins as long as I feel good. 

I managed to keep my workout routines, with slight modifications due to lack of weight to lift. For squats, I did pistols most of the time, but needed to revert to regulars at the end because I strained my leg and right leg pistols were painful. For hamstrings I decided to do reverse hypers as I found playground/gym in nearby park. Pull exercises and pushups as usual. 

There was no big progress in sets/reps (I ended maybe even little lower than started), but I think it's because my running training and lots of walking (10-12km a day on average) interfering in strength workouts. 

Another story is my weight - I try to gain a bit, but fail miserably. I'm currently raising my caloric intake and remodeling my eating routines. 

Currently I'm overwhelmed, scared and slightly panicked about trying to return to "normal" life, but it's probably "after-vacation" blues. Because of this, I'm not sure how my reporting here will look like, but I will try to return to my daily reports (maybe less detailed, but still).

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

I missed you, Aramis! Hope you had fun on your vacation! And great job squeezing your workout routine! I think mine would probably be cut down to push ups and pistol squat attempts due to being unable to get any equipment =(

If I were at the seaside, besides fish, I'd go for shellfish, squid, octopus, prawns...again I've never been one to watch cholestrol a lot.

Your weight - urm. Maybe you do need to eat more. I put on lower body but lost upper body lately. I think it's due to me being off the wall and all that extra running I'm doing to train for 10k.

Okay, first workout at home done. Not that I'm in a mood for training. Or, to be honest, in a mood for anything else. Grumpy, grumpy, grumpy. I'm so grumpy it annoys me. And makes me even grumpier...

...grumpier... is it even a real word?

3 x superset of

-   6 x assisted pull-up

- 15 x squats, weighted 22.7kg

- 15 x pushups, regular

- 10 x good mornings, weighted 22.7kg

90 sec rest between sets

meh.

edit: 

Yes, it is. I just checked in dictionary...

Food - 2455kcal, 135.5g protein. No junk food. Not so much veggies. 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 13th

Ran 23 min (3,9km) with 5 min warmup march and 5 min cooldown.

First full (non-interval) offroad run. Went quite well. I was worried if I can endure it because last week's runs (non-interval, 20 min of run) were in the seaside on a paved, flat sidewalk. Now I'm back home and my "track" leads through fields, it changes elevation etc. But I did it with one stop for like 15 sec to stretch my knee that began to ache. 

Food - 1950 kcal, 95g protein. 

Didn't have time to eat supper before 8PM because kids... sigh.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 14th

3x superset:

- 10x body row

- 15x weighted squat

- 15x each hand overhead dumbbell press (5kg)

- 10x weighted good morning

- 16x push up

Food - no junk food, decent amount of veggies. Stopped tracking at 2852kcal, 125.5g protein. After that was two handfuls of blueberries and two or three spoons of coconut paste. 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Hey Pecs! I slowly fit into my day-to-day regime (both workout-wise and common life-wise), so it's better. 

Aug. 15th

Running - 25 min (4.3km) offroad. 5 min warmup march and cooldown, then stretching. I should only run for 22 min according to my program (25 min is next week), but I ended slowing down on my way back (I run half the time into the fields, then turn around and run back remaining time), so to run full distance I needed to run a bit longer. I'm not stressing over it - it didn't made me extra sore or anything, so I think my body is capable of enduring this.  

Food - in junk food department, I ate two or three handfuls of puffcorn. Other than that, I'm on track. 2487 kcal, 139g protein. 

I struggle with stabilizing my weight - for last week it jumps allover the place, from 75 kg to 79 kg overnight, then back to 76, then back up again. I think it may be because I ate lot of sweet bun sandwiches on our way home from vacation (8 hours drive in the night) - I was eating the sleepiness off. Maybe this carb bomb and retained water is messing with me. On the other hand - it was night from Saturday on Sunday, so almost week ago. I wonder how long this rollercoaster will last...?

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 16th

Workout

3x superset:

-  8x assisted chin up

- 15x weighted squat (22.7kg / 50lb)

- 15x each hand overhead dumbbell press (5kg / 11lb)

- 10x weighted good morning (22.7kg / 50lb)

- 16x push up

Food - no junk. 2485 kcal, 136.5g protein. 

Dinner with pasta left me hungry/craving more food (because of carbs?). On the other hand, workout in the afternoon seemed easier than before (2 more reps on chin ups in all three sets), so maybe extra carbs before workout are good for me. Need to investigate. To do so I plan to eat rice (for carbs) for dinner on Monday and see how it will impact my workout. 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Mortimer said:

caffeinated with green tea

I'm more of black coffee person but yeah, caffeine does me good before workout. I'm just curious how my performance is influenced by carbs (or food in general). Or lack of it, because for two weeks of vacation I trained in the morning - you could say in fasted state. I didn't noticed any difference in running performance, but my strength workouts were less than spectacular. It might be overall trend, or effect of working out before any food. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 17th

Running - 22 min, offroad. Hard as heck, as earlier at work I did like 3km up and down the ladder (I was installing ventilation ducts) and my legs were sore for just a thought of running... All this ended up with cramps in feet, calves and tights in the night. 

Food - 2545kcal, 116.5g protein.

On top of that, one bite of marzipan bar in the middle of the night (to help me fall asleep). Not bothered to track that.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

At 2am I had no desire to wake anybody to help me (especially my wife who went to work at 6am... Yes, on Sunday. Working at airport has it's ups and downs).

Just massaged those cramps myself as good as I could and walked them off. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 18th

Rest day. 

As off day activities I corrected the headlights' position on my wife's car, made a dinner, batch cooked work lunch for oncoming week and spent some time rethinking my eating habits. I will stop doing IF and introduce breakfasts (in form of shake) to eat more calories during the day, and less in the evening. I have all this written down, so now I need to stick to this plan and watch the results. 

Food - 2364kcal, 137gh protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Aug. 19th

I made a decision. I'm putting the coffee away, cold turkey. I need to reset my caffeine tolerance, because I found myself drinking coffee like water. 

Monday was the first day and it was agonizing. My head tried to explode in slo-mo

giphy.gif

I forced myself to do one set of exercises

6x assisted pull-up

15x squat

16x pushup

10x reversed hypers

15x each side overhead dumbbell press

When I tried to do second set my head started to hurt so badly I needed to stop. I hope this withdrawal symptoms pass quickly. 

Food - 2320kcal, 146g protein.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler