My way towards (next) OCR

I pull knees as far as I can. Not that I CAN touch my chest with knees ;) I was told the most effect you get by pulling slightly past 90 degrees if you do straight raises. For obliques, pull as high as possible (it won't be as high as straight ones anyway).

3 hours ago, Mortimer said:

my left hand slipping off the bar because I moisturised them the night before

Two words - Gym Chalk. 

About ripped callus - maybe you grip the bar too deep with your palm - check the "hook grip". Or just this article

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Nov. 12th.

Workout (burpees):

15min timer, 81 reps. Same as last time. At least no backslide.

Stretching - Sun Salutations and some various stretches for arms and upper body.

Food: 2612kcal, 163g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Nov. 13th

Workout (full body):

Kettlebell workout based on time (this one).

What can I say? It was cool! It was intensive, my whole body was noodly all the evening after. 

I needed two short breaks to catch my breath. That was maybe a little cheating as I paused the timer, but I won't stress about it.

Recorded reps (all exercises done with 16kg/35lb bell):

1. Slingshot x 1 minute - 15 reps per side

2. Halo x 1 minute - 10 reps per side

3. Overhead Warm Up x 1 minute - 6 reps per side

4. Single Leg Deadlift x 1 minute - 6 reps per side

5. Bottoms Up Clean x 1 minute - reps per side

6. One Arm Swing x 2 minutes - 30 reps per side

7. Lunge with Rotation x 2 minutes - 8 reps per side

1 minute rest

8. Clean and Press x 2 minutes - 10 reps per side

9. Regular Row x 2 minutes - 16 reps per side

10. Thruster x 2 minutes - 10 reps per side

11. Bob and Weave x 1 minute - 10 reps per side

1 minute rest

12. Turkish Get Up x 4 minutes - 3 reps per side

At the end I added 15 regular push-ups and 3 pull-ups  as a finisher.

All the exercises were fun. I have issues with only two of them - on Bob & Weave my feet started to slide on the carpet (I need to use some mat for this, or wear shoes), and Get-Ups were a massacre - I could squeeze one or two reps in time, but my KB hand started to shake and weave on the third rep both sides, so I didn't want to risk hitting my head with the 16kg bell...

Food: 2591kcal, 159,5g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Oooh. I saw some kettlebells in decathalon when I went down there to pick up my resistance band - Got the 35kg one as i tried a couple on the pull up bar. Technically i can perform pull ups with the 25 kg resistance band, but I know i will not always have a proper pull up bar. Sometimes my "pull up bars" are less then optimal, like they are clothes bars, sliding door frames etc, so I thought I'd get the stronger one to compensate for the grip i get on those bars. Also in trying out the resistance bands... My back and shoulders ache lol. 

• Like 1

I use 35kg band for my assisted pull-ups as well. You can get various amount of assistance by placing the band under your foot (band is stretched more = more assistance) or bent knee (less assistance). It's all about configuration. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 14th

Workout (burpees):

15min timer, 85 reps. 

Today I tried doing burpees outside on a lawn. It was chilly (around 6-7 deg. Celsius) and grass was already covered with evening dew. It was quite nice. I think I will opt for outside burpees as often as weather allows.

Stretching - Sun Salutations and some various stretches for arms and upper body.

Food: 2689kcal, 160.5g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 15th

Workout (back):

3x:

- pull-ups followed immediately by assisted pull-ups (5+5)

- 10x body rows with feet on chair, 

- 10x active hang knee raises,

- rest 2 min

20x KB swings (16kg/35lb)

12x per side KB clean and press (alternating arms for each rep)

No time nor strength to play with kettle today. I did my workout at 8:30pm, because earlier I was hanging protective nets in my kids' school gym. This involved going 6 m up and down on a ladder hauling the net and fixing it to hooks in the wall. Rinse and repeat for an hour.

Stretching

Sun Salutations, arms, shoulders, forearms/wrists.

Food: 2590kcal, 163.5g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 16th

Running

5.25km, 30min 11sec - 5.75 min/km pace

Slower again, but still within 6min pace range. I think it's because as soon as I went form "Who took all the air away" state I get at the beginning to "I can do this" mode, I stayed in this comfortable area and didn't push myself. Even long uphills were less tiring (maybe because I wasn't using as much energy overall by running slower). 

The weather now is funny - one day is 4-5C with wind and rain, and another sunny 15-16. Bit tricky to adapt to. I got lucky - yesterday was warm and wind wasn't too strong. All in all - I got nice and relaxing run.

Food: 2610kcal, 164g protein

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 17th

rest day

Food: 2488kcal, 155.5g protein. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 18th

Workout (back):

3x:

- pull-ups followed immediately by assisted pull-ups (5+5)

- rest 2 min

14x per side KB clean and press (alternating arms for each rep)

Sun Salutations

Food: 2593kcal, 164g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

On 11/17/2019 at 1:10 PM, aramis said:

Nov. 16th

Running

5.25km, 30min 11sec - 5.75 min/km pace

Slower again, but still within 6min pace range. I think it's because as soon as I went form "Who took all the air away" state I get at the beginning to "I can do this" mode, I stayed in this comfortable area and didn't push myself. Even long uphills were less tiring (maybe because I wasn't using as much energy overall by running slower). 

The weather now is funny - one day is 4-5C with wind and rain, and another sunny 15-16. Bit tricky to adapt to. I got lucky - yesterday was warm and wind wasn't too strong. All in all - I got nice and relaxing run.

Food: 2610kcal, 164g protein

What caused the "who took the air away" problem? Was it due to you starting too fast? Mostly I don't get breathless unless I'm pushing but again I'm generally more interested in distance then speed so I don't push. 

12 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

What caused the "who took the air away" problem?

I always have this issue in first minutes of run - probably I don't warm up enough or something. And my starting couple hundred meters is up. But as I jog up this first part, it's already all OK.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 19th

Workout (burpees):

15min timer, 90 reps.

This time I did sets of 10, then rested a bit to "catch my breath". We'll see if that's the reason of more reps, or just star alignment was proper...

Stretching - Sun Salutations and some various stretches for arms and upper body.

Food: 2575kcal, 160g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 20th

Workout (full body):

Time-based Kettlebell workout.

Recorded reps (all exercises done with 16kg/35lb bell):

1. Slingshot x 1 minute - 16 reps per side

4. Single Leg Deadlift x 1 minute - 6 reps per side

5. Bottoms Up Clean x 1 minute - reps per side

6. One Arm Swing x 2 minutes - 30 reps per side

7. Lunge with Rotation x 2 minutes - 10 reps per side

1 minute rest

8. Clean and Press x 2 minutes - 12 right, 10 left side

9. Regular Row x 2 minutes - 20 reps per side

10. Thruster x 2 minutes - 10 reps per side

11. Bob and Weave x 1 minute - 10 reps per side

1 minute rest

12. Turkish Get Up x 4 minutes - 4 reps per side

At the end I added 15 regular push-ups as a finisher.

Stretching - Sun Salutations.

Food: 2609kcal, 158g protein.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 21st

Workout (burpees):

15min timer, 87 reps.

Food: 2591kcal, 166g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 22nd

Workout (back):

3x:

- pull-ups + assisted pull-ups (5+5)

- rest 2 min

12x per side KB clean and press (full set each side, no alternating)

Sun Salutations.

Turns out doing 12 reps of clean&press non stop wears my arms more than doing one right, one left, one right etc. Who could guess? 

Food: 2596kcal, 161.5g protein.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 23rd.

Running - nope. Turns out I need to count today as involuntary rest day.

It would be the first time I missed my run. Why?  My healthy lifestyle is the reason I couldn't keep my health lifestyle today. Yes, I know it doesn't have much sense. I just spent way too much time in the kitchen, cooking. I planned to make dinner for today and tomorrow, plus my lunch for work for next week, but underestimated how long it will take. Ended doing quick emergency pasta+sauce for family and tomorrow's dinner still in the oven at 5pm... No need to say it was already dark outside when I finished it. Wife left to work so I didn't have a way to make my run. Sigh... I will run tomorrow. 

BTW... my creation:

DSC_1718.thumb.JPG.0418df605026b8c7dfc1ce46e3684a0a.JPG

Potato pie with minced pork shoulder, carrot and garlic olive oil. 

Food: 2582kcal, 160.5g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 24th

Running:

5.25km, 30min35sec (5.82 pace)

The backslide is real. It's fifth run slower than previous in a row. I'm closing to 6min/km pace, which is a line I don't want to cross. Maybe I should switch back to two runs a week and cut on some burpees? Or look more closely into my nutrition? IDK. I have other problems on my mind now, and this isn't helping...

Anyway, back to reporting:

Food: 2482kcal, 166g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

18 hours ago, Mortimer said:

get better at it

The deal is I don't aim for progress - I just want to stop the backslide.

Nov. 25th

Workout (back):

3x:

- pull-ups + assisted pull-ups (5+6),

- rest 2 min

Finisher set:

- 6x chin-ups, 

- 20x KB swings (16kg/35lb)

- 12x per side KB clean and press (full set each side, no alternating).

Sun Salutations.

I found my pull up bar is too short (or more precisely - my door frame is too narrow). I noticed my elbows go all the way forward (instead to the sides and only slightly forward) on pull-ups and this might be a problem. Tried wider grip (maybe extra 5cm/2in each side), and it already felt better. I need to find better place to work out. 

Food: 2549kcal, 164.5g protein.

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 26th.

Workout (burpees):

15min timer, 80 reps.

I worked out after 9pm (because stuff needed to be done), already sleepy, hungry (supper AFTER working out) and tired, so those 80 reps look good in this light.

Stretching - Sun Salutations.

Food: 2657kcal, 162g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 27th

Workout (full body):

Time-based Kettlebell workout (20 min), done with 16kg/35lb bell

Did additional two breaks between exercises, less than 1 minute each.

Recorded reps (bold font indicates progress):

1. Slingshot x 1 minute - 16 reps per side

4. Single Leg Deadlift x 1 minute - 7 reps per side

5. Bottoms Up Clean x 1 minute - 7 reps per side

6. One Arm Swing x 2 minutes - 35 reps per side

7. Lunge with Rotation x 2 minutes - 10 reps per side

<1 minute rest

8. Clean and Press x 2 minutes - 12 per side

9. Regular Row x 2 minutes - 20 reps per side

10. Thruster x 2 minutes - 12 reps per side

11. Bob and Weave x 1 minute - 12 reps per side

<1 minute rest

12. Turkish Get Up x 4 minutes - 5 reps per side

At the end I added 16 regular push-ups as a finisher.

Stretching - Sun Salutations.

Food: 2572kcal, 169g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Nov. 28th.

Workout (burpees):

15min timer, 80 reps.

Stretching - Sun Salutations.

Food: 2489 kcal, 163.5 g protein.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler