• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Defining

Working Out w/ Wildfire Smoke

Any tips/tricks? Our summers are becoming more and more commonly stuck with a perpetual haze in the air. My home gym is in the basement beside the furnace room (North America, so we have a forced air heating system), and the air quality is fine but not great - breathing hard still hurts. I've looked at a small space HEPA filter or something similar, but I'm not sure if it'll actually do anything? Happy to spend the money on one though if anyone has experience with an air purifier making workouts easier. I know that N95 or P100 masks are supposed to help, but I don't see that as a great option for workouts...

Also, the dogs are really unhappy because walks are miserable (we've been going for shorter walks and more frequently, but it's gross out) but they still have too much energy and want to run around (and then stop running to sneeze/cough),

Any tips/tricks? Our summers are becoming more and more commonly stuck with a perpetual haze in the air. My home gym is in the basement beside the furnace room (North America, so we have a forced air heating system), and the air quality is fine but not great - breathing hard still hurts. I've looked at a small space HEPA filter or something similar, but I'm not sure if it'll actually do anything? Happy to spend the money on one though if anyone has experience with an air purifier making workouts easier. I know that N95 or P100 masks are supposed to help, but I don't see that as a great option for workouts...

Also, the dogs are really unhappy because walks are miserable (we've been going for shorter walks and more frequently, but it's gross out) but they still have too much energy and want to run around (and then stop running to sneeze/cough),

Wearing the mask would definitely suck. The army does PT in it when they want people to suffer haha. If you are able to close in your gym a HEPA should work, but I would over but for the size of space. The smoke from the Alberta wildfires hasn't made it to me yet, hoping the summer will stay clear again, but I'm coastal, so harder for the smoke to get through the rain, and heavy wind we still get in the summer, so no first hand experience re the filter.

Fitness, like honour, is never bestowed but earned through blood, sweat and sacrifice

• Like 1

We  put a HEPA filter in our furnace, and that seems to help. I've worn my mask on walks when we have smoke in the air, and it helped me. Ugh, though I hate it when the air is so smoky. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

We  put a HEPA filter in our furnace, and that seems to help.

Oh man, that's a LOT of extra wear & tear on the furnace, having to push air through a barrier like that. I'm ok with putting in a smaller one for a specific room, rather than for the whole house.

34 minutes ago, Gibsorz said:

The smoke from the Alberta wildfires hasn't made it to me yet, hoping the summer will stay clear again, but I'm coastal, so harder for the smoke to get through the rain, and heavy wind we still get in the summer, so no first hand experience re the filter.

You're in BC? This is Calgary at the moment, but it's significantly worse up North. Not to mention the people that are being evacuated and losing their homes 'n stuff.

photo.jpg.a7ac92c33f266d564ce2768766ec6214.jpg

Unfortunately, this seems to be becoming our 'new normal' for wildfire season in the summer; last year was horrible for it.

And yeah, I'm not super interested in training masks. :biggrin-new:

Ouch that sucks, I lived in the BC interior the first really bad summer (fort Mac fire summer), before moving to the north coast. The smoke was horrible. I heard the smoke makes it to the lower mainland, but the island I'm on seems to be sheltered from it. We barely had a camp fire ban last year. It also rarely gets above 20c though and rain is common in the summer, by I rather that over the smoke.

Fitness, like honour, is never bestowed but earned through blood, sweat and sacrifice