DrFeelgood - One Post Challenge

Hello again, Adventurers!  I've re-classed back to my NF roots ;) where I hope to eventually find a new way of doing things that works with my current life.  Things have changed a lot in the last few years, and I'm basically starting from scratch again.  In fact I'm currently broken and unable to even begin at square one.  I'm at Square Zero.

So for this challenge I have just one goal: recovery.

I don't have a program, or a strategy, or targets, or any of my usual fitnessy stuff.  No spreadsheets.  All I have is a sub-optimal body and a fair amount of time.  And since that's what I've got to work with, that's what I'm going to work with.  The next few weeks will cover a project crunch at work followed by a family vacation which will include a camping trip in the Sequoia National Forest.  Amongst all that my main priority is going to be continued healing for my broken right wrist (five weeks ago) with ongoing medical care (as needed) and rehab to come I'm sure.  Plus I'm hoping for a bit of social/emotional/mental-health recharging in conjunction with physical healing.  I want to be in as good a place as possible to start the second half of this year and make a renewed push toward my fitness goals, whatever they happen to become.

And that's pretty much it.  Once my wrist is strong enough again I'll look further ahead to figure out just exactly what I want to get out of this body so I can make better plans about how to use it.  All I know for now is that I want to make as complete a recovery as possible.  I don't think I'll even bother updating this post until the challenge ends; I'd rather spend my NF time following y'all's threads.  So post if you like, and then feel completely free to ghost it here  I'll be keeping up with you regardless. :)

• Like 7

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

tenor.gif?itemid=12611851

I like your Adventurer costume. Suits you. But we all know you're still a Ranger on the inside.  ;) 

Following along for good healing, in every way!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2022 Books in Progress:

When Strivings Cease  |  Happiness Workbook The Gifts of Imperfection  |  Mistborn  |

I'm sorry to hear about your wrist.  Injuries are frustrating.  But welcome, best of luck, and may the Force be with you.

• Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

On 6/1/2019 at 2:27 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

If you’re not posting here, then I’m not posting here either.

Good luck brother.

I'll post, I just won't update until the end.  :D  This kind of progress happens on a weeks-long scale, not day-to-day.

On 6/1/2019 at 3:13 PM, deftona said:

I might post here every day even if you don't.

Do you guys like MEMES?

A meme a day keeps the bummers away.  Unless it's a bummer meme, then you need ten more wholesome memes to rinse it out.

On 6/2/2019 at 6:38 AM, Ann of Vries said:

Sorry about your wrist! I think it's a good time to regroup, and I find that things have changed and I have to start from scratch like every other week, so hey XD

I hope your family camping trip is awesome ^_^

Thanks!  I hope it's awesome, too, but I'll settle for tolerable and safe.  I don't particularly relish sleeping in a nylon bag--I became an architect for a reason, yaknow. ;)

On 6/2/2019 at 7:35 AM, Sloth the Enduring said:

be19dea254e4098974b37218cb461d50.jpg

hi7QCVS.png

On 6/2/2019 at 8:10 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You're an adventurer now huh?

Going back to what worked before I was in Ranger shape.  Plus I have the opposite of Ranger brain ("do NONE of the things") right now, so it was starting to feel a little self-delusional to persist.

On 6/2/2019 at 8:11 AM, Snarkyfishguts said:

Nice to see you! Broken wrists are rough, and I’m relieved you are taking time to recover :love_heart:

Recovery was your idea.  I didn't want to do it, but I guess I have to accept that I have limits.  :P

On 6/2/2019 at 11:58 AM, Sylvaa said:

Holy moly, it's already been 5 weeks?! Time flies! 

Any idea how much longer you'll be considered "broken"? 

*hops on scale*

Let's see, I'm up 10 pounds, and at a gain of +2 pounds per week (my going rate when I'm in mega-couch-potato mode) that does indeed indicate the passage of five full weeks.

I have another doctor appointment Wednesday morning and I'm sure he'll have a clearer prognosis after some more x-rays.  I already went ahead and took my cast off--it was getting to be a serious impediment to my work, and I can't afford to fall any further behind.  So far things are fine, I replaced the cast with a removable splint.  I'm still weak and sore, hopefully the doc says I can start doing some stretching and strengthening exercises to begin the rehab process.  I do NOT want to pay for any more physical therapy....like, ever.

23 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I like your Adventurer costume. Suits you. But we all know you're still a Ranger on the inside.  ;) 

Following along for good healing, in every way!

I'll adventure for a while until I figure out who this version of me wants to be.  There really aren't any fitnessy goals that appeal to me atm.  Any scant motivation I have stems from not wanting to buy new fat clothes.

1 hour ago, Sciread77 said:

I'm sorry to hear about your wrist.  Injuries are frustrating.  But welcome, best of luck, and may the Force be with you.

Thanks, this isn't the first time I've had to bounce back from a distal radius frx, so I have some confidence that I'll make a nearly-full recovery.  At this age it just takes a little longer and a bit more care, but I'll get there.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, DrFeelgood said:

I'll adventure for a while until I figure out who this version of me wants to be.  There really aren't any fitnessy goals that appeal to me atm.  Any scant motivation I have stems from not wanting to buy new fat clothes.

But you already hinted at some mental and emotional self-reflection that you're doing, and that's part of fitness too.  :)  It's a beautiful thing about life that we can change into new versions of ourselves as long as we live, and indeed, that we should. I'm afraid of promising to pray for you because that's usually a guarantee that I'll forget; but in this moment at least, I pray that you'll be guided toward the right goals and activities for this part of your life, in the right time.

• Thanks 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2022 Books in Progress:

When Strivings Cease  |  Happiness Workbook The Gifts of Imperfection  |  Mistborn  |

16 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

But you already hinted at some mental and emotional self-reflection that you're doing, and that's part of fitness too.  :)  It's a beautiful thing about life that we can change into new versions of ourselves as long as we live, and indeed, that we should. I'm afraid of promising to pray for you because that's usually a guarantee that I'll forget; but in this moment at least, I pray that you'll be guided toward the right goals and activities for this part of your life, in the right time.

Well, the mental and emotional side of things is less "doing" and more "hoping".  That's probably why they're constantly in need of attention.  I'll get around to them eventually.  I truly appreciate your prayers.

2 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

Yes, but it seemed in poor taste to mention that I love it when you do what I want :D:D 

I have never shied from heeding good counsel when my own deficits are brought to light.  Knowing how dumb I am is part of what makes me the smartest man alive. ;)

Today's good news update:

HYNlTiy.jpg

X7ZnDol.jpg

qrlVqOL.gif

I'm still too shell-shocked from all the previous crap with these loans to actually accept that they're finally gone.

PzJO6Fp.gif

Now I can finally quit this government gig and go stock shelves at Costco. :lol:

• Like 10

giphy.gif

OH MY GOSH DUDE THAT IS AMAZING

IT MUST FEEL LIKE YOU JUST HAD A BAJILLION POUNDS TAKEN OFF YOU

CONGRATULATIONS

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

22 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

OH MY GOSH DUDE THAT IS AMAZING

IT MUST FEEL LIKE YOU JUST HAD A BAJILLION POUNDS TAKEN OFF YOU

CONGRATULATIONS

It is a huge relief, absolutely.  It still hasn't fully sunk in yet--I may need to run a credit report at the end of the month to attain complete realization.

To ice the cake of awesomeness that was yesterday, I made Champ 2 in Rocket League last night.  :D  At this rate I should be able to turn pro next year. ;)  Lord knows the scene could use some O.G. gamer cred.  B)

Today is another good day.  Doc appointment this morning went well.  He laughed when I told him I took my cast off early, and he was relieved to hear that I used proper tools to do so.  He said everything is looking fine, no need for x-rays, and no need for further follow-up.  I've got a pamphlet from the NHS (thanks, Brit-landers) on restoring wrist mobility after being in a cast, and I've been gingerly working on some of that for the last few days.  Doc gave me the green light to fully implement it, so I'm done with professional health care and on to the DIY portion of our recovery program.

In other developments, the iron is calling to me again.  I'm getting the urge to lift things, but I adamantly do not want to go to gyms.  I'm also noodling the idea of introducing my family to weight training.  So it seems that when I get back from vacation I'll need to finally find a house to buy and then equip it with a gym.

I can do that. :)

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

It is a huge relief, absolutely.  It still hasn't fully sunk in yet--I may need to run a credit report at the end of the month to attain complete realization.

To ice the cake of awesomeness that was yesterday, I made Champ 2 in Rocket League last night.  :D  At this rate I should be able to turn pro next year. ;)  Lord knows the scene could use some O.G. gamer cred.  B)

Today is another good day.  Doc appointment this morning went well.  He laughed when I told him I took my cast off early, and he was relieved to hear that I used proper tools to do so.  He said everything is looking fine, no need for x-rays, and no need for further follow-up.  I've got a pamphlet from the NHS (thanks, Brit-landers) on restoring wrist mobility after being in a cast, and I've been gingerly working on some of that for the last few days.  Doc gave me the green light to fully implement it, so I'm done with professional health care and on to the DIY portion of our recovery program.

In other developments, the iron is calling to me again.  I'm getting the urge to lift things, but I adamantly do not want to go to gyms.  I'm also noodling the idea of introducing my family to weight training.  So it seems that when I get back from vacation I'll need to finally find a house to buy and then equip it with a gym.

I can do that. :)

The joy in this post. I like it.  :D 

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2022 Books in Progress:

Nothing of note happening, just focusing on work to get a few projects done before going on vacation at the end of this week.  My wrist is improving incrementally--I was able to take the three older Minions to the driving range over the weekend and gently hit a few dozen balls.  Maybe I'll treat myself to a new set of irons for Father's Day, to be executed after summer travels are done and the financial dust has settled.  Golf is always more fun when I'm in better shape, so perhaps playing more often (than once every 4 years) will be a good impetus for Lean and Strong 4.0.  And July 1 seems like a natural time to start a new program.

Could that be a respawn on the horizon?  B)

• Like 5

On 6/4/2019 at 10:28 AM, DrFeelgood said:

Well, the mental and emotional side of things is less "doing" and more "hoping".  That's probably why they're constantly in need of attention.  I'll get around to them eventually.  I truly appreciate your prayers.

I have never shied from heeding good counsel when my own deficits are brought to light.  Knowing how dumb I am is part of what makes me the smartest man alive. ;)

Today's good news update:

HYNlTiy.jpg

X7ZnDol.jpg

qrlVqOL.gif

I'm still too shell-shocked from all the previous crap with these loans to actually accept that they're finally gone.

PzJO6Fp.gif

Now I can finally quit this government gig and go stock shelves at Costco. :lol:

Woohoo!  Serious congratulations on that!  It is reassuring to find that someone has successfully accomplished it!  I did my recertification recently and they short changed me one payment.  I'm trying to stay on top of it.  

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

12 minutes ago, Shello said:

I did my recertification recently and they short changed me one payment.  I'm trying to stay on top of it.   

They did the same to me on all four sequence numbers, but only after my application date.  That's why I had to make that extra payment last October.  I'm still going to pursue getting a refund on the overpayments, but not until after we get back from vacation.

• Like 3

Hello!  I'm back. :D

We camped, we hiked, I fell in love with the Giant Sequoias.  I probably ate too much and too poorly.  It was a fantastic week!  We just got back to my MIL's house in Albuquerque, and we'll take a couple days to recover here before heading back to Oklahoma.  My wrist is improving slowly, and my super-elite OT SIL gave me a few tips while we were camping, so I expect to be able to bring it all the way back in due time.  Bank account is bleeding profusely, but it was definitely worth it.

I'll have a better update later, for now I just wanted to get my thread back on my main stream page.  :lol:  Hope all is well with y'all; I'll catch up as soon as I can.

• Like 6