• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

scalyfreak

Scalyfreak prepares for battle

12 hours ago, RedStone said:

Massive wall of  I-really-enjoy-geeking-out-about-anatomy-on-a-Friday-night text

I just realized that I really enjoy reading massive walls of geek speak about anatomy :) 

12 hours ago, RedStone said:

Don't get me started on ankles!

Or maybe do?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RedStone said:

What are you looking on information for? The whys and hows? Or the what to do nexts?

The why and how,  I think. What the pieces are and how they work together, and the actual mechanics behind why a sprained ankle makes the knee joint hurt. 

17 hours ago, RedStone said:

(Spoiling for space like I should have for the video)

Sort of related thing that I forgot to mention yesterday. Watching that video during a break at work reminded me that I actually own a couple of tubes similar to the yellow one you used, except with carabiners at the ends instead of handles. I bought them for some of the rehab exercises for my knee over a year ago. After I was done with them I put them in a bag, put the bag in a dark corner behind my yoga mat, and forgot about them until yesterday.

I wrote my name on one of them with permanent marker, took it to the gym, and anchored it to a corner to the squat rack. Massive improvement over using plates, so now I have a plan going forward. :) 

• Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 10:49 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I just realized that I really enjoy reading massive walls of geek speak about anatomy :) 

Me tooooo

18 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I wrote my name on one of them with permanent marker, took it to the gym, and anchored it to a corner to the squat rack. Massive improvement over using plates, so now I have a plan going forward. :) 

:love_heart:

Or maybe do?

21 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

The why and how,  I think. What the pieces are and how they work together, and the actual mechanics behind why a sprained ankle makes the knee joint hurt. 

Well that's a lot easier, with all the framework we covered already about the tunnels. The main show in the ankle equation is the achilles tendon, whether or not it's directly involved with an injury. 

The achilles is the biggest tendon in the body, and attaches the exterior calf muscles to the heel at the ankle, while the upper part of the muscle attaches behind and above the knee cap to the femur. 

z9BMZZ0m.jpg

Look how long the achilles is compared to the muscle bellies!

The tendons attaching the calf act for all bipedal movement, and even keeping the knee straight while flexing the feet engages the entire chain up through the knee. 

Since the ankle is another small tunnel like the wrist, inflammation of anything in there (like the smaller tendons surrounding the ankle that are typical victims of sprains) inhibits smooth movement throughout. When the achilles is tight, inflamed or prohibited, if effects smooth movement of both the knee and ankle, which then effects the more intricate workings of the foot, the supporting members of the knee, and even points north up to the hip/lower back. (And once that fucker is involved, it's open season on the trunk!) 

There isn't much else involved in bending the knee on that side except this little guy highlighted in blue:

kfenigam.jpg

So that's the cliffs notes on the effects of the ankle's on the knee! One other worthwhile note without going on too many tangents is that the ankle is the first line of rotational defense against the impact we absorb through the ground - Newton'd 3rd - any impact we make on the ground we receive equal impact back. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, RedStone said:

So that's the cliffs notes on the effects of the ankle's on the knee! One other worthwhile note without going on too many tangents is that the ankle is the first line of rotational defense against the impact we absorb through the ground - Newton's 3rd - any impact we make on the ground we receive equal impact back. 

Which is why there's such a lucrative industry around reducing that impact when we're running. :) 

• Like 1

Which is why there's such a lucrative industry around reducing that impact when we're running.  
Tooooatally. One of the biggest things I focus on with post rehab clients coming out of a knee replacement is impact control while going down a flight of stairs.

In general, learning how to walk and run silently is extremely valuable for eveyone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Regenerate:

Make the stupid sprained ankle heal. I have noticed an increased range of motion when I stretch the ankle, which is a good sign. Stretching continues.

Continue to focus on sleep. I'm seeing a slow but steady increase in the weekly "average hours per night" Fitbit calculates. Working to maintain this by paying attention to my evening routines and actually planning out my weekday evenings a little.

Meditate. Yep! About to go do it as soon as I have posted this. :) 

Respec:

Set up and use new lifting program while the ankle heals.  I can do body weight squats!  I can even go below parallell for several in a row. I got so excited I tried to do regular squats with an empty barbell, which immediately prompted my ankle to use pain signals to scream at me. Not being an idiot, I stopped. There will be no more barbell squats without box until the ankle has healed further.

Ready for battle:

Prepare everything that needs to be prepared before journeying to Stress Hydra’s lair. Things that have been done so far:

• Travel vaccinations (very important)
  • Visa application (also important)
  • Locate travel sized containers for the stupid TSA liquid rules
  • Obtain sturdy laptop bag for travel
  • Start making todo lists and checklists for the things I need to pack
  • Mosquito repellent in TSA approved format
  • Flights and hotel booked
  • Founds outstanding cross-body purse to use during trip
  • Located the old carry-on bag that has not been used in forever
  • Checklist of all medications I need to bring
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Regenerate:

Make the stupid sprained ankle heal. I have noticed an increased range of motion when I stretch the ankle, which is a good sign. Stretching continues.

Continue to focus on sleep. I'm seeing a slow but steady increase in the weekly "average hours per night" Fitbit calculates. Working to maintain this by paying attention to my evening routines and actually planning out my weekday evenings a little.

Yay for slightly better ankle and slightly better sleep! 

• Like 2

On 6/17/2019 at 2:09 AM, scalyfreak said:

I have noticed an increased range of motion when I stretch the ankle, which is a good sign.

Yay for progress on that front

Regenerate:

Make the stupid sprained ankle heal. Still stretching. Still noticing small but steady improvements in range of motion.

Continue to focus on sleep. Stress gives insomnia. Insomnia sabotages efforts to meet the sleep goals. Insomnia is a bastard and the fight goes on. No retreat, no surrender.

Meditate. Morning meditation remains an important priority. I will skip breakfast and I will skip doing a full face of makeup, before I skip this.

Respec:

Set up and use new lifting program while the ankle heals.  I recently discovered, to my great pleasure, that the ankle has healed well enough that I can do conventional deadlifts again. I had to lower the weight by nearly 15% due to how long it has been since I did them, which is irritating but inevitable when injuries happen. Injuries are annoying.

Ready for battle:

Prepare everything that needs to be prepared before journeying to Stress Hydra’s lair. So as it turns out, my visa application for my upcoming trip has been handled and processed by a person who is best be described as a shining example of monumental incompetence and idiocy. Upon seeing the travel dates on my application, and being aware of how long it takes to process an application for a business travel Visa to India, the person decided that since the processing time on average is over a week longer than the time left before my trip begins, my Visa application did not need to go into the Rush Processing queue.

No, you did not read that wrong. My visa is expected to arrive a little over a week after I am scheduled to travel to the country I need the visa for. No, the process cannot be sped up. No, reapplying and paying the fees for Rush Processing will not make the visa magically arrive in time, because it's too late for that as well.

For obvious reasons my trip is being rescheduled. As an extra bonus, this morning I had the dubious pleasure of watching a global manager a couple of levels above me nearly lose their shit and almost literally take people heads off after being informed that the project budget is shot, the time line is destroyed, the end goal needs to change, and the project success is now in jeopardy because an idiot out of reach didn't care enough to put a shred of thought into trying to do their job well, instead of just going through the motions. I find myself absurdly grateful that said manager has the ability to control their rage and aim it only in the direction of those who deserve it, rather than vent it on innocent bystanders like me.

I am also very irritated that once again one single stupid person has managed to screw things up for people who would not have problems if we didn't have to deal with The Stupid.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

I recently discovered, to my great pleasure, that the ankle has healed well enough that I can do conventional deadlifts again.

Yerssss! Dedliffffssss!

Continue to focus on sleep. Stress gives insomnia. Insomnia sabotages efforts to meet the sleep goals. Insomnia is a bastard and the fight goes on. No retreat, no surrender.

No progress? Sorry to hear it :( 

48 minutes ago, Harriet said:

No progress? Sorry to hear it :( 

No progress at all. However, we have reached the point where not going backwards is a victory. It's like treading water. No, you're not moving forward, but as long as you're not sinking, you could in theory count "not moving" as progress.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 10:15 AM, scalyfreak said:

.  I recently discovered, to my great pleasure, that the ankle has healed well enough that I can do conventional deadlifts again.

Nice!  A little longer and you will be back to weighted squats :) 

On 6/21/2019 at 10:15 AM, scalyfreak said:

I find myself absurdly grateful that said manager has the ability to control their rage and aim it only in the direction of those who deserve it, rather than vent it on innocent bystanders like me.

Oh, yes, absolutely.  I have worked for people who have zero rage control and if they can't reach the idiot at fault it suddenly becomes the fault of whoever was next in line of interaction with said idiot

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Oh, yes, absolutely.  I have worked for people who have zero rage control and if they can't reach the idiot at fault it suddenly becomes the fault of whoever was next in line of interaction with said idiot

I've had those kinds of bosses too. I suspect that had contributed to my appreciation for restraint in managers...

• Like 1