Mistr catches up

Mistr

Mistr catches up

My challenge goals are pretty much the same as last time, so I'm putting those below. I'll start with catching up.

Week 1

What I did on my summer vacation by Mistr age (old enough to know better)

I took week one off from work because I had friends visiting. I knew Dumbledore would be busy with the first week of summer session. That was a good decision on my part.

I thought I would have lots of time to get things done on my task list from last time. Hahahahahahahahahaha    It was a fond hope. So what did I really do?

• Reread Night Watch by Terry Pratchett. Realized I had not read Monstrous Regiment so I got that out from the library and read it too.
  • Gardening: weeding x 3; planted herbs and flowers in pots, planted cilantro and basil seeds around the herbs and alyssum seeds around the flowers. Planted swiss chard and basil in the main garden between the rows of salad greens.
  • Shopping: groceries x 3; hardware store; pet food; garden center; clothes
  • Spinning - finished plying lace-weight yarn for my friend, got it washed and blocked to send home with her. When I weighed it I noticed it was only 65g. I started out with about 90g. There is very little loss during spinning. Then I found a box with more fiber in it, ready to spin. I must have prepped that last summer and put it in a safe place. So much for being done with this project...
  • Socializing with friends who were in town over Memorial Day weekend
  • Knitting and spinning silk on my drop spindle (mostly while socializing)
  • Driving Elf to work and errands
  • Laundry - I did three loads of sheets and towels to prepare for and clean up after guests, even though it is officially Dumbledore's turn.
  • Cooking: Lots and lots of cooking. Cabbage and ground turkey hot dish; coconut macaroons, hard boiled eggs; coconut milk custard with chocolate or peanut butter - made into ice cream; grilled chicken and asparagus; roast carrots; couscous; grilled turkey; broccoli salad; stuffing; strawberry-rhubarb pie (with rhubarb from our garden!); meat loaf; roast pea pods; lime bars; bacon-wrapped dates stuffed with feta.
  • Cleaning: dusted upstairs; swept hard floors; cleaned the bedroom for guests. Elf did most of the vacuuming and cleaned the bathroom. I washed all the cooking dishes except for one evening, when our guests pitched in.
  • Mowed the whole yard

I was going to have a goal to keep exercising while on vacation. Good thing I didn't write that down because there was no way I could have made it to the gym. I didn't even have time or space to do yoga until after my friends left. No zen either. I picked up both this weekend. Friday night aikido was rusty but not horrible. I was pleased that my rolls felt smooth on Sunday. Zen wasn't great, but was still better than a couple months ago.

I did not get to any of the things on my task list. I was feeling good about gardening before my friends arrived, so I bought a bunch of impatiens to put in the front garden. I figured it was full of holes from pulling dandelions, so I might as well put flowers in them. That will make it look like a garden with some weeds instead of a sad neglected area around the maple tree. The flowers are still waiting. I was grouchy about having to do all the mowing. Elf said they would do the front yard, then weaseled out. They did cook a batch of roast potatos for me while I was mowing for them.

By the time my friends left on Friday, I was done with being responsible for everything. I had time to do some of the errands Friday and Saturday, but had no motivation left. I did reading, gardening and aikido. I wanted to get this written, but ending up doing other things. I had almost no online time all week. On Sunday I did aikido, zen and spent time with Dumbledore. In addition to starting the summer session, he had to finish submitting grades for spring semester. We went for a long walk and went out for dinner. We agreed that we had both been running as fast as we could.

• Like 3

Level 59  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

Realized I had not read Monstrous Regiment so I got that out from the library and read it too. 

You will like it. It's every bit as good as Night Watch, and possibly the most feminist book I've ever read.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

17 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

You will like it. It's every bit as good as Night Watch, and possibly the most feminist book I've ever read.

Yes, I certainly did. I loved the ending.

I also found a copy of Pyramids next to it at the library. It is one of Pratchett's older works, but no one talks about it much. I'm saving that for next weekend (largely because I have shown I have a poor chance of putting down a novel if it is any good).

• Like 1

Level 59  Viking paladin

I'm not sure if it's my people-pleasing tendencies speaking or what, but FWIW I can totally see derailing a challenge for the sake of company. If I'm frank about it, I tend to use my companionship as a break from Doing The Things, because life is full of opportunities for discipline, but discipline itself must be tempered and disciplined with rest.

In other words, as long as you got the break you wanted/needed, it's not a big deal and you're okay. :)

All in all, it sounds like a struggle, but not more than it was before. We got you. Let's get it!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Mistr said:

Yes, I certainly did. I loved the ending.

I have learned that that book makes much less sense, and seems much less coherent a story, if read from the traditional assumed-male viewpoint. It seems to be a real test of being able to read from a female viewpoint. Like a novel-length version of Tiptree's "The Women Men Don't See". But I was pretty impressed at the scope and density of feminist themes and characterization in it. I'm not sure I've ever read better. Subtler, for sure - though subtlety is really never quite a Discworld thing - but not actually better.

3 hours ago, Mistr said:

I also found a copy of Pyramids next to it at the library.

I started Pyramids and didn't finish, so let me know what you make of it. It did have a great start, I just got distracted. And since then have just been saving it for when I needed a bit of extra Pratchett.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Actual challenge goals:

Short form: Keep doing the good things and get incrementally better on the tough stuff.

Long form: mostly the same as last time - shown below with notes

Work habits:

• Get emails done right away
  • No social media
  • Project work first thing in the morning
  • No caffeine
  • No snacks between breakfast and lunch
  • Go exercise right away at lunch time. No "just this one thing" first.
  • Leave on time - I can read the internet at home if I really want to.

I have been consistent about not having caffeine, even when tempted. Not nearly so consistent on not snacking and not looking at FB at work. Most of my staying late has been for writing here, which I don't count as goofing off.

Home habits:

• Take time after work to do something fun before doing chores.
  • Do knitting or spinning for 15 minutes before playing games or reading social media.
  • Pack breakfasts and lunches in the evening or on weekends.
  • Lay out clothes earlier in the evening.
  • Do finances first among weekend chores

All of these need to be more consistent. I am also going to add another one.

• Sit zen every day. Early morning is best. Lunch time is acceptable if I am going to aikido after work.

In particular, I want to build on the momentum from last weekend on dealing with finances. Each weekend I want to make progress. I can do them early if I want to take time in the evenings.

That did not happen at all last challenge. I need to get on top of this. Starting with today, doing finances instead of cooking. I'm going to get take out because we have eaten all the food I cooked last week.

Task list:

• sand and oil bokken and jo
  • Get the dry cleaning done
  • Mend two sweaters
  • Clean the toaster oven (or get someone else to do it - it is disgusting)
  • Gardening - one or two 30 minute sessions a week. Keep this from getting overwhelming
  • take stuff to the city drop-off site
  • take stuff to charity shop

I crossed off one item last challenge and added two this time. The gardening and sanding my weapons are most pressing. All the other stuff can wait.

Exercise is going fine. I noticed that my knees got more achey from not working out last week. Lots of standing in the kitchen and walking apparently do not count. I am back to my regular aikido schedule. My lunchtime aikido partner is in town for the next two weeks, then traveling again. I am going to take a break from strength training with weights and concentrate on yoga and body weight work for the next week or two. At that point I will reassess.

Work is also going to get busier. One of my team just gave notice and my boss will be on medical leave for several weeks. Having some more flexibility in my workout plan will make dealing with work stuff less stressful.

• Like 3

Level 59  Viking paladin

Week 2 so far

Zen - good. Yesterday I did not want to get up early and promised myself that I would go sit zen right after work. Which I actually did. I think it is getting easier. Not that my concentration is much better, but time passes faster and my legs are not falling asleep.

Aikido - went to class and practiced with my partner on Monday, taught yesterday. I had 10 people in my class! That is a record for a normal class when we aren't running a beginner's course. There were 3 black belts, one brown belt, 4 intermediate students of varying experience and one brand-new student. I was pleased with how it went. There were two people watching. They said they are interested in starting. Woohoo! 

Yoga - good. Two sessions of core and NF Star A. Feeling less stiff and a bit stronger.

Not that I'm actually getting my hopes up. Lots of people come watch and then never come back. Three of the people on the mat did just come back. One of the black belts just moved back to town and two of the white belts have more time now that the semester is over.

Tasks - I started chipping away at finances after procrastinating Tuesday evening. I'm scared to find out just how big a hole we are in. I made this top priority. We have gone through all the food I cooked last week and only have ingredients in the fridge. So I got take-out. On Monday I wrote a list of six things that I plan to cook. One of those is done (banana bread). The others will have to wait. I am going to use the timer method to rotate between finances, cooking and gardening this weekend. All really need to get done.

Dumbledore and Elf have both told me they like having the task list on the fridge. Last week I was home and did most of the work. Elf did some and Dumbledore was busy with work. On Sunday I put up a blank list. It was still pristine this morning. Elf and I discussed cooking plans on Tuesday. They like my turkey soup and asked for the recipe. I set that out on the kitchen counter. Then Dumbledore told me that he asked Elf to leave the kitchen/dining room area alone on Wednesday so Dumbledore could work. Aaaargh. That totally dashed Elf's good intentions to cook. Maybe they did it today. Dumbledore stacked the cooking dishes neatly by the sink, but no one has washed dishes since Sunday. I did put out a reminder on the household chat about mowing. Both Dumbledore and Elf agreed that it was their turn. Hopefully mowing will actually happen in the next couple days.

I'm feeling like I have too much to do, don't have time for fun, and can't rely on anyone for help. Yesterday I promised myself that I could spin before bed. That time got used up in holding a half-hour intermediate class after my usual basic class. It has been months since people have wanted to stay an extra half hour. I'm glad it happened, but it still left me feeling over-committed. I am going to take Friday evening off to do things I want to do as compensation. I expect I will feel better about my life once I have the finances under control and meals for the week in the fridge.

• Like 2

Level 59  Viking paladin

On 6/4/2019 at 6:05 PM, Mistr said:

Lots of standing in the kitchen and walking apparently do not count.

No, they do not

2 hours ago, Mistr said:

I expect I will feel better about my life once I have the finances under control and meals for the week in the fridge.

This always helps me feel better too

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: it's all routine

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 64

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I got home last night and found Elf cooking and Dumbledore cleaning the gas grill.

Important cooking tip: Do not try to cook an 18 pound turkey in a small gas grill.  

I knew it was dripping fat and burning when I shut off the gas and moved it to the charcoal grill. Dumbledore informed me that there was half an inch of baked on grease in the bottom of the grill. He got the worst of it off. I'm going to have to soak the burner tubes in solvent to get the grease out of them. Maybe I can get Hermes to do that, he works in a machine shop.

Elf was a sweetheart and made soup from the turkey stock and leftover meat. I have a good recipe for turkey soup with lentils. Unfortunately, Elf confused lentils and split peas. I hope the substitution is okay, since I'm eating it for lunch. Elf also gets points for washing dishes. It would be nice if they checked that the dishes were clean, but I'm willing to give points for effort.

• Like 2

Level 59  Viking paladin

Plan for this evening:

• Make broccoli/sweet potato salad (estimated time = 10 minutes because the sweet potatos are already cooked)
  • Drop off old clothes at charity store, pick up Elf from work  (minimum 30 minutes if Elf is done on time)
  • Weeding (30 minutes)
  • Balance checkbooks and enter receipts in financial software (45-60 minutes) I got a lot of receipts entered on Tuesday. This gets the easy part of financial analysis out of the way
  • Spinning (10-30 minutes)
  • Sit zen (25 minutes)

Total about 3 hours. I should be able to get all this done, eat dinner and get to bed at a reasonable hour. 

Weekend list:

• Finances - get the damn budget analysis done
  • Finances - submit HSA reimbursements
  • Gardening 2 x 30 minutes. Get the impatiens and mint planted
  • Sit zen x 2
  • Aikido on Saturday. Sunday is optional.
  • Cooking: mango salsa; roast cauliflower; green beans; sweet potato hash; peanut butter ice cream
  • Sand and oil boken and jo
  • Clean one thing
  • Wash one load of dishes. Maybe two if I make a lot of mess cooking.
  • Watch Good Omens with Dumbledore

• Like 2

Level 59  Viking paladin

On 6/7/2019 at 3:08 PM, Mistr said:

Plan for this evening:

• Make broccoli/sweet potato salad (estimated time = 10 minutes because the sweet potatos are already cooked) actually took ~45 minutes. It always takes longer than I think to chop things up
  • Drop off old clothes at charity store, pick up Elf from work  (minimum 30 minutes if Elf is done on time) Elf was done on time, but Dumbledore was off with the Honda. I dropped off the bags of clothes on Saturday morning after dropping Elf off at work.
  • Weeding (30 minutes) set a timer and stuck to it.
  • Balance checkbooks and enter receipts in financial software (45-60 minutes) I got a lot of receipts entered on Tuesday. This gets the easy part of financial analysis out of the way. Did part of it on Saturday
  • Spinning (10-30 minutes) Did on Saturday and Sunday
  • Sit zen (25 minutes) 20 minutes because I didn't start until 11:10pm

Total about 3 hours. I should be able to get all this done, eat dinner and get to bed at a reasonable hour. It was a nice plan. Instead of working on finances I spent time talking with Dumbledore when I came in from weeding. I did not get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Weekend list:

• Finances - get the damn budget analysis done
  • Finances - submit HSA reimbursements
  • Gardening 2 x 30 minutes. Get the impatiens and mint planted. I set a timer. At 30 minutes I was halfway done with the remaining section of garden. Another 30 minutes got it DONE.
  • Sit zen x 2  Only did one
  • Aikido on Saturday. Sunday is optional.
  • Cooking: mango salsa; roast cauliflower; green beans; sweet potato hash; peanut butter ice cream. The mangos were past their use-by date. Also cooked kale and bacon. I made the ice cream mix but did not freeze it yet.
  • Sand and oil boken and jo
  • Clean one thing
  • Wash one load of dishes. Maybe two if I make a lot of mess cooking. I washed two loads of dishes and the counter is still full of pots and pans.
  • Watch Good Omens with Dumbledore
  • Grocery shopping
  • Washed one load laundry

Garden - before

sJhs4Oz.jpg?2

Garden - after

LhuQjol.jpg

Note the bushel basket of weeds. The hosta and fading tulips are supposed to be there, along with the spiky green plants at the top of the photo (yuccas?).

Dumbledore mowed the front and side yards. He also cleaned up the kitchen island before I got home with groceries. I knew I was going to have to do grocery shopping sometime during the weekend, I just forgot to write it on my list.

It is still Dumbledore's turn to do laundry and he is working on it. Saturday morning Hermes took apart the dryer to figure out why it was making a funny noise. He found a penny caught in one of the bearings. He bought a new bearing and fixed it. The dryer is one year and two months old - just past warranty. Considering how much grief and expense Hermes saved us, I'm willing to give him a pass on doing other chores. He has a list of other things we need fixed too. I knew that Dumbledore was busy Saturday night and part of Sunday. Rather than taking a chance on it, I decided to wash a load with clothes I needed for Monday. I was good and communicated with Dumbledore so there was no misunderstanding or hurt feelings.

I'm still avoiding doing finances. So many things need doing. It is easy for me to convince myself that other things are more pressing.

I think I made the right choice to spend time with Dumbledore and do more spinning. We went for a long walk down to the lake. Trees and water are so soothing. I came out of the weekend feeling like I only got half my list done, but not stressed like I was last week.

I really want to go to aikido tonight. I think I'm going to go home instead so I can plant impatiens and at least finish balancing checkbooks. These have waited long enough already, I don't want to put them off again. I also want to roast a pork shoulder while the weather is cooperating. I could even make the ice cream while I work. Bribes can help me here. My salad greens are big enough that they need thinning. I can make a fresh salad for supper. :D 

On 6/7/2019 at 4:50 PM, Kishi said:

How'd the soup turn out?

It is edible, just a little strange. I had a legume identification session with Elf. We have a lot of dry food in glass jars in the pantry. I pulled out the beans, lentils and split peas. Elf had never seen uncooked lentils before. We have brown and red lentils. We usually have both yellow and green split peas, but right now only green ones. Some of the more confusing beans are labeled. I have red, adzuki and kidney beans (all dark red) and Great Northern and lima beans (white) labeled. They are different shapes, but easy to confuse. My labeling strategy is based on things that I might confuse. I need to update that based on Elf doing cooking too.

• Like 5

Level 59  Viking paladin

On 6/10/2019 at 10:29 AM, Mistr said:

I really want to go to aikido tonight. I think I'm going to go home instead so I can plant impatiens and at least finish balancing checkbooks. These have waited long enough already, I don't want to put them off again. I also want to roast a pork shoulder while the weather is cooperating. I could even make the ice cream while I work. Bribes can help me here. My salad greens are big enough that they need thinning. I can make a fresh salad for supper. :D 

I was partially successful. Here is the good part:

4XFUNXY.jpg

I planted 24 impatiens in the front garden. These will add a splash of color in the front yard now that the creeping phlox are done blooming. This section of the garden is shaded by a maple tree, so there are not a lot of plants that will grow there.

It took about an hour and 20 minutes to plant them. The ground was really hard even though it rained the night before. I'm spoiled by transplanting into recently tilled garden beds. That is no work at all. I spend a lot of that time in a forward fold. I realized after about 15 minutes that I was totally comfortable in that position. I did not have any soreness this morning either. 

Thank you NF Yoga! 

I also thinned the greens and made salads for me and Dumbledore. No photos of that because the mosquitos were attacking me. I'm afraid that I mistook a couple swiss chard seedlings for baby maples and pulled them by accident. I think I put some dandelion seedlings in the salad on purpose. The problem is that I got a big package of mixed greens seeds and I don't know what they should look like as seedlings. More salads in our future as a lot more thinning will be needed.

Planting and making salad took longer than I planned. It was 8:20pm before we sat down to dinner. After that I took a break and read some in Pyramids. That was a mistake. I totally failed my saving throw to put it down when I got to the end of a chapter. Luckily Dumbledore found me reading after 10pm and broke me out of it. I put the pork shoulder in the oven and went to bed 90 minutes later than I intended.

Next phase of gardening will be to weed a section of the back garden and plant the chocolate mint. I think I can get that done in 30 minutes because it is a small section. Considering my track record so far, I should allow an hour. I might be able to get that done before it starts raining this evening. Otherwise it will have to wait until the weekend.

After that comes digging out the bed that has been taken over by day lilies. That will be a bigger project even though it is not a big section of garden. I want to put the finished compost in this bed. That will let me empty half of the compost bin and switch which side gets new materials. So far I'm just putting kitchen scraps and dry leaves in the compost bin. The weeds are still going on the pile in back because there are just too many of them. Once the bed is cleaned out I will plant red onions and carrots. I'm tempted to put in a cherry tomato, but I don't want to have to water another plant that is waiting to be transplanted.

Tonight I will make ice cream and balance checkbooks. This time for sure.

• Like 3

Level 59  Viking paladin

52 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I'm afraid that I mistook a couple swiss chard seedlings for baby maples and pulled them by accident. 

*gasp* Not the chard! I'm very pro-chard in the garden these days, as you know.

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

plant the chocolate mint

Man, I've been having trouble with mint and lemon balm in pots, and can't put it in my garden. And I love mint tea. Gonna have to try harder. Would love some chocolate mint.

I may need to read Pyramids soon.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

*gasp* Not the chard! I'm very pro-chard in the garden these days, as you know.

I planted a row of chard between the two rows of greens. The bed has a lot of weed seedlings. I thought it was odd that there were maple seedlings because the maples are on the other side of the house. Then I realized that the seedlings were right in the row where I planted the chard and evenly spaced. Oops.

4 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Man, I've been having trouble with mint and lemon balm in pots, and can't put it in my garden. And I love mint tea. Gonna have to try harder. Would love some chocolate mint.

Mints don't like to be in pots. They really want to expand. The ideal bed is next to a building or sidewalk so that they can only expand so far. I'm going to put them at one end of a bed between bushes and a fence. If they spread into the yard I can just mow over them. They don't like shade so I don't think they will be a problem under the bushes. If they can cope with the shade, they can serve as ground cover.

• Like 1

Level 59  Viking paladin

On 6/11/2019 at 11:01 AM, Mistr said:

Tonight I will make ice cream and balance checkbooks. This time for sure.

Success!

I also cooked the green beans that had been languishing in the fridge. I took a nap instead of working in the garden. That gave me enough energy to face doing the other tasks.

The one extra thing I did was wash cooking dishes. Making ice cream gets a bunch of things dirty. Dumbledore knows it is his turn to do dishes but he hasn't done it yet. I washed the things I got dirty plus a couple other items so that I felt like I was fighting entropy instead of contributing to it. The stove no longer has dirty pans on it. The pile next to the sink has changed shape but not size.

I ended up being just DONE with being responsible. Everyone in the house except Elf is running as fast as they can. Some of my feeling of needing to take care of things because no one else will is justified. I should focus on the critical things and not sweat the small stuff.

Elf update

Spoiler

Elf has been having continuing problems with brain stuff. Shaking, feeling like they are going to pass out, momentary loss of balance. Micro-seizures perhaps. That has been scary for them and disturbing for their coworkers. It has been disruptive to the point that Elf lost their job for now. They work at a small shop owned by a friend. The owner made it clear that they care about Elf and want them to continue managing the social media for the shop. It sounds like Elf can get the job back when their health issues are resolved.

That is well and good in the medium term. It sucks in the short term. It leaves Elf without a regular source of income and without a regular schedule. Elf has been working hard to figure out how to deal with their sleep problems. They told me on Monday that the most recent experiment involves not drinking, eating healthy and getting exercise. It is frustrating that Elf lost their job right when they are taking positive steps in their life.

On the bright side, Elf told me yesterday that they were dealing with the feels by running on the treadmill for half a mile as fast as they could. They had run 4 miles by the time I got home and were feeling sore. I am relieved that Elf is taking positive steps to deal with disappointment and stress. Today Dumbledore asked Elf to get out of the house. Partly because Dumbledore has a bunch of work to do, but also because Dumbledore is worried that left to their own devices, Elf will sit in their room and turn to their usual avenues of escapism. I am curious to see what Elf does next.

I was good and sat zen for 24 minutes before going to bed. I'm sure it helped, but I still had trouble falling asleep. Earlier in the day I did a weight training session with 10 minutes of cardio HIIT. No excuse of me not being tired. Just stress.

• Like 2

Level 59  Viking paladin

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:31 PM, Mistr said:

I ended up being just DONE with being responsible. Everyone in the house except Elf is running as fast as they can. Some of my feeling of needing to take care of things because no one else will is justified. I should focus on the critical things and not sweat the small stuff.

I can sympathize with this feel. Glad to hear that Hermes did a thing; hopefully Dumbledore steps up to the plate and Elf will be progressively able to do so as they get better.

• Like 2
On 6/12/2019 at 3:31 PM, Mistr said:

I can relate to this, how bad would some of these items be if they just didn't get done? That was one of the battles my ex and I have..I say it won't get done if I don't do it and she states, okay, so it doesn't get done...not the end of the world.

Very hard for me to deal with, but I'm trying it and just taking care of me, ymmv

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: it's all routine

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 64

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|

|My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

16 hours ago, RES said:

I can relate to this, how bad would some of these items be if they just didn't get done? That was one of the battles my ex and I have..I say it won't get done if I don't do it and she states, okay, so it doesn't get done...not the end of the world.

I've considered that question quite a bit. Letting the dishes pile up for a week becomes a problem when I want to cook. We are good about loading and unloading the dishwasher with plates and glasses. Most of the pots and pans and knives are not dishwasher safe - those pile up next to the sink.

There are several aspects of the problem. The first is just having stuff in the way. Pans soaking in the sink are in the way of washing veggies. Pans on the stove are in the way for cooking. Quite often the pan I need is dirty, which adds an extra step before I can cook. If things have sat too long they start to get moldy and disgusting. I object on general principles to the accumulation of chaos in the kitchen. It discourages everyone from cooking.

There are plenty of things that I can let slide for months. Dusting and mopping come to mind. The kitchen floor got scrubbed about once a year before Elf moved in. Elf is willing to mop it, while I was brought up to get floors really clean with a scrub brush. I'll only mop if there is a big spill. I have much less tolerance for grit on the floor. I think the kitchen and front entry need sweeping once a week, even though I only do it half that often. I get up close and personal with the carpet when I do yoga. That gives me motivation to do vacuuming. The grey patina of cat fur in the living room is another motivating factor.

Some things I clean when they bug me. This weekend I noticed some marks on the wall by the pantry, so I got out a Magic Eraser and cleaned them up. I love Magic Erasers because they do a great job really quickly. I did a quick survey of the front entry and cleaned up other spots too. I'm working on my mental "I should do something about that" list. Next on the list is to go around the house with the vacuum hose attachment and get all the spider webs out of the corners of the ceiling. The goal is peace of mind, not having a spotless house. I cleaned the toilet because it was getting disgusting. The rest of the bathroom needs cleaning too, but is still in my tolerance limits. Who knows, Elf may step up and do some cleaning.

Elf promised to do dishes last week. I talked to them about it before I washed dishes Saturday. They were feeling sick and traded me for doing vacuuming. I'm not holding my breath on when the vacuuming gets done.

The yard work is a problem in the summer. I know I am the only one with any interest in gardening. I'm good with that. The problem is the mowing and maintaining the landscaped beds around the bushes. The previous owners had professional landscaping done. That looks beautiful for the first few years while the landscape fabric and wood chips keep down weeds. However, the wood chips break down and make compost on top of the landscape fabric over time. Weeds are perfectly happy to grow in the thin layer of dirt. That defeats the purpose of neatly manicured beds bordering the lawn. Letting the weeds grow makes the property look uncared-for, which encourages vandalism and burglary. Dumbledore knows this, he told me about it from his previous work in community organizing. He is willing to take an electric trimmer to the bushes once a year, and do some of the mowing. Elf knows they are on the rotation for mowing, but puts it off as long as possible. Hermes is just missing in action. I don't think chores at home are even on his radar.

Last summer we were on vacation in June and I felt like the yard was a disaster all summer. I feel much better about it this year. It makes me happy to have garden beds growing plants that I put there. I know that no one else cares if the back garden goes completely to jungle. I just bought more cutting line for the weed eater. I think my project for next weekend will be to figure out how to install new line and beat back the weeds on the patio. I'm going to see if I can persuade Elf to take on some of the tasks I don't want to do while they are unemployed.

Figuring out which tasks I actually need to do when is a big part of my challenge every week. I know that I have to cook if I want to eat healthy food. The guys are willing to live on sandwiches and pizza. They will eat veggies and meat if I cook it. Recent evidence shows that veggies I don't cook just languish in the fridge, even if someone else suggested I buy them. Elf promised to make roast potatos last Thursday. Maybe that will happen today. I'm not holding my breath. If they don't get to it, I'll do it tonight so we have carbs for lunches. This weekend I made broccoli salad, roast veggies and mango salsa. I also prepped yogurt and fruit for breakfast for me and Dumbledore. Dumbledore batch cooked oatmeal for himself. Elf does take initiative to cook, I just can't count on them doing it when I need to have things cooked.

Both Elf and Dumbledore have been making efforts to eat healthier food and exercise. They both have been losing weight. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will get on board with being responsible adults sometime soon. I have time scheduled to talk with Elf tomorrow, so I have another chance to discuss it.

• Like 1

Level 59  Viking paladin