Valkyrie's Crusade

My accountability partner is slacking off a lot and I need to find a new way to keep myself on track - so here I am!

Rode the bike to the gym today, it was freezing cold (as it is winter here now). Some guy commented on how brave I was to ride the bike in this cold. I said he had set the bar pretty low when it came to bravery :chuncky: 

Started to work with the rings about three weeks ago and the results are becoming very impressive, I am so much stronger already! I noticed that I push myself much harder than I did with weights and it much more gratifying to see improvements. Managed to get off the ground into the support hold for a second, something I couldn't do three days ago. Increased reps for rows, push-ups too. Totally bossing it with the rings, feeling very confident and good about using them because the results make me feel so good.

Tried a new method to release the iliopsoas and although it was quite uncomfortable it was the best release yet.

Cycled home and hopped on the rower as well. 

My goal is to move every day, be it walk, cycle, gym, rowing or yoga.

Long term goal is to skin the cat!

IMG_20190606_195027.thumb.jpg.3c0eb100aba465fe470d55c1c8ea6e58.jpg

• Like 1

Yesterday was a 'no show' for me, gripped by an inexplicable anxiety I just huddled up in my safe space, only to come our roaring today. Well, almost roaring - still had to talk myself into it a lot. 

At the gym I started with the iliopsoas release technique and, although very painful, it was a massive improvement to the ROM in my hips, release of lower back tightness and the way I walked. I didn't know I could actually walk like that, loose and fluid. 

Plucked up the courage to pick up the kettlebell for some swings (it was my go-to all time favourite compound exercise for many years but one day in Jan my back went into an almighty spasm with pain so savage that I was very reluctant to ever swing a kettlebell again). It went really well, I stretched out between each set and paid close attention to form.

More leg and abs work followed, some stretches and then it was home for brunch ( I didn't have breakfast prior and felt a little low in energy)

Mindful eating: quite the challenge. I am now sitting down without any distractions for most meals. Today I really paid attention to the way I was eating and noticed that it was rushed in an attempt to suppress some feelings that started to demand my attention. Something that was very painful in the past and goes back many years now. I had completely refused to acknowledge my own hurt and anger in order to honour the compassion I also felt for the other person concerned. I denied myself feeling fully and shut up that voice with food all the time.

This is a huge development and insight for me, owning my feelings regardless of what nature they are. All of them. Being honest with myself and releasing those feelings, it feels like a huge load has been shed. And that is just the start!

For Brunch I had a banana (to calm the by now growling stomach) whilst I cooked my meal - half a zucchini, bunch of asparagus, four very small eggs and a sliver of avocado. I am trying to incorporate vegies with each meal now that I am off the cereals.

Onwards!

Addit: decided to add some rowing tonight as well, just for the happy hormones

p.jpg

On 6/8/2019 at 12:44 PM, Valkyrie21 said:

Mindful eating: quite the challenge. I am now sitting down without any distractions for most meals. Today I really paid attention to the way I was eating and noticed that it was rushed in an attempt to suppress some feelings that started to demand my attention. Something that was very painful in the past and goes back many years now. I had completely refused to acknowledge my own hurt and anger in order to honour the compassion I also felt for the other person concerned. I denied myself feeling fully and shut up that voice with food all the time.

This is a huge development and insight for me, owning my feelings regardless of what nature they are. All of them. Being honest with myself and releasing those feelings, it feels like a huge load has been shed. And that is just the start!

Sounds like you’re making great progress with the mental aspect as well as the physical. 

Its funny how losing weight brings out a lot of stuff, it’s not just about eating less and moving more for most people. And that’s undoubtedly the process for me too. 

Excited for you that things seem yo be progressing! 

• Like 1

Sunday morning was freezing, literally, and I still made it to the gym on my bike ( I sold my car years ago, it is a choice) - pretty chuffed for that effort alone. Did ring work and was very pleased with my efforts, added triceps dips to the range once I figured out the position I needed to take on the rings, feeling it today. I love it when I have the gym all to myself - there is a huge open space with sunlight streaming in and I enjoy circling the area as I catch my breath.

More rolling out and releasing of the psoas muscle, f*ck that hurts but feels soooo good afterwards. 

Got quite a bit of DOMS today from the kettlebell swings so will have a rest-day, just some rowing later.

Food - making progress with the vegies and mindful eating. My gut has been hyper active this morning so laid off BF and had brunch again - cauliflower and zucchini fritters with egg, onion and chilli, very nice. 

My mighty Sydney Swans won in an epic game of footy (Australian Rules) against the reigning premiers yesterday, what a Buzz! The team had to rebuild and generally it takes a couple of years, my guys did it in two months! Matildas lost in the FIFAWWC against Italy, disappointing but still have a chance to advance in the tournament. 

• Like 1

Yeah baby!

Back at the gym, was running a bit late this morning so skipped the abs workout but did a good round of kettlebell swings, now back to my original 12kg's, broke into a decent sweat - nice. 

Some deep stretches afterwards, hopefully the DOMS won't be so savage tomorrow. I felt energised and ready to tackle the rest of my day.

Bought a waffle iron for a couple of bucks at the Salvos - as I have a strictly GF diet (through necessity) my waffle mix was unsuccessful and it was such a bloody mess that I turfed the whole iron straight into the bin, glad I did not invest in a brand new one. Made pancake instead - just some almond flour, egg, date syrup for sweetener and a pinch of baking powder - turned out really well. 

Bought a heap of vegies - love munching on raw fennel, so that is a handy snack to have. Some broccolini, pumpkin, asparagus and strawberries. When I was in Portugal  recently and met with my german friend she raved about asparagus and strawberry salad - I am now keen to try it. Can't quite imagine it together as the asparagus will have to be cooked but I am sure I can find a recipe for it.

passed the broccoli test today, held out until I was SO hungry that the broccoli was on the plate, accompanied by a couple of eggs. Still feeling somewhat hungry though, the low carbs thing takes some getting used to.

Feeling incredibly tired today, had a Reiki session yesterday and slept really well  yet I can hardly keep my eyes open now at lunchtime. Reiki hangover maybe? Am well hydrated, so that can't be a contributing factor. Or maybe it is the withdrawal from the carbs - more like it.

It is raining relentlessly today and I can't see myself getting to the gym so will do some rowing later on today. No DOMS from the kettlebell training yesterday, excellent!

• Like 1

Energy restored today, leapt out of bed at 5am, rearing to go. To go into the kitchen and make a coffee that is.

Seriously though, feeling 100 times better from yesterday, waited until sunrise and saddled up to ride to the gym. Naturally it started to rain but I was already committed so I just kept going.

Upper body and abs today, hung my rings and got to work, always amazed how quickly the progress is noticable, this is really satisfying! Worked hard and my arms are now shaking (an hour later). 

Timing of the planks indicated that my weak left side has finally caught up and I can now hold both sides equally, yay! Because I had the frozen shoulder the muscles had deteriorated so much that I could not last more than 9 seconds, now 20 secs each side and 40 secs full plank.

Gave in and bought a fitness tracker - can't believe I did that. 

What I like about it is that it reminds me to MOVE when I have been sitting for an hour. This is really useful as it is easy to become oblivious to inactivity. Also now I have a better idea of my true calorie needs, every site I looked at came up with a different figure, so confusing. 

Some things I noticed 

* No one else  (that I know of) rides a bicycle to the gym

* No one else works with rings at the gym

* No one else wears colourful workout pants (there is black, black, black and grey otherwise, how boring) 

Food

Must hold off the fat content in my diet, my body just can't digest it properly and I always end up with a swelling where the liver and gallbladder are located, no pain though. 

Almond flour pancake this morning with eggwhites and no oil to fry, worked out well, date syrup for sweetening. Still hungry though.

Yesterday - Exercise: walking and rowing, passed my goal of 7500 steps 

Sleep - 5 1/2 hrs 

Food - moderate carbs, lotsa vegies, turkey and chicken

Pre- cooked a few meals and made almond milk yoghurt for the week ahead which I will use to blend with protein powder.

Today (midday) already been to the gym - walked there as it was just too cold to cycle, kettlebell training and stretches, walked back home, already surpassed clocked 9000 steps

Skipped breakfast

Only slept 4hrs - simply could not go to sleep before 3.30am, no obvious reason why.

The sleep tracker on my Garmin fascinates me, it shows hours slept and light or deep sleep (guessing it is based on movements).

More prepping of meals today, had a trial run of frozen gluten free meals for a week but they absolutely soulless and most of them didn't taste very nice, so I stick to cooking my own.

• Like 2

Had every intention to get to the gym this morning but my body just ached too much from the kettlebells yesterday. I have to remind myself that at my age it is better to back off a little - something I find rather difficult to do. My body's needs have changed, as has the recovery time required. I am rather dilligent with the detailed warm up (thanks NF) and that really helps to prevent strains and tears. In my mind I am still in my 30's ( in body I am short of 60 though). So I just walked a few km today (and took my 'grown up' camera with me, had a fantastic photo session in the park)

Just bougth a book on joint health and maintenance, excellent resource with exercises that I will incorporate daily. Did my second lot of photos - first lot was in Jan. Not a lot of difference to see but I have had 6 weeks interruption inbetween when I was hiking the Camino de Santiago and got ill also. My weight hasn't shifted a great deal either but I haven't tried to 'lose weight' either, just making better choices with food for now.

Fitness tracker was a good buy, it really motivates me to move more.

Food choices today were reasonable, meal prep helped to curb snacking. 

• Like 1

Should have listened to my intuition today and stayed at home.

Had planned a workout with the rings in the gym this morning and struggled to get there. Little things like not feeling entirely comfortable in my gym gear and having to change (this was a first), too cold to cycle so walked there and felt like my back was about to break, the muscles started to cramp up so tightly.

At the gym the usual crew were there and whilst I am generally comfortable with them this morning they just gave me the sh*ts, didn't make eye contact with anyone, just put the head down and walked into my space. Had to do a lot of stretches to get the back spasm sorted and when I was ready to hang the rings one of the guys had moved onto that particular equipment. 

It was enough for me to pack up and leave again, the walk home the spasms came back and I was nearly in tears from the pain. More stretches and just plenty of rest for the rest of the day. Even though I am so disappointed that I didn't get to do my workout maybe it was a blessing in disguise because it might have made the back spasms much worse.

Upped the hydration also, shiny new eco-bottles were delivered today so I can keep the filled up and ready to go, bit like meal prepping, just with hydration instead. It helps, always harder to drink enough in winter.

Full Moon doesn't help with the mood either, NOT AT ALL!

Food - some emotional eating today to relieve anxiety, no binge but unnecessary snacking. On the plus side - I was aware of it, that is a good thing.

Meal prep is a good thing but - SO boring to eat the same stuff every day. I think I need to prep more meals and just freeze and rotate them more often. I once had that down pat, will aim to get at least four different meals to rotate, curries are a good winter option too.

Sleep - a solid 7 hours

Really struggling to 'keep it together' somehow, hope tomorrow is a better day. 

I think for cooking you need to think of new stuff you'd like to try out, like my next batch of zucchini boats may be curry powder zucchini boats instead of black pepper ones. The toppings will be different - long beans and carrots(my aunts suggestion =)). And yeah I'm constant having to deal with people using the squat rack making me have to do goblet squats. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Valkyrie21 said:

when I was ready to hang the rings one of the guys had moved onto that particular equipment

Do you use squat rack only for rings? If so, maybe you can train with them at home. Buy simple pull-up bar and fix your rings to it. I use one like in the link at home for (duh) pulls, but also for body rows using belts with handles (works similar to rings), and even to hang a hammock chair. Of course, it's not so universal as squat rack, but for sure nobody will take it from you. Depending on your height and weight you might consider different types. For me, this one I have is too low (I'm 193cm / 6'4''), so it's mounted at the top of doorframe, and still I need to make pull-ups with bent knees. For someone shorter it would be okay tho. 

Cheers :)

• Like 1

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

thanks for the tips, really appreciate it!

Yesterday I felt so 'off' that I gladly stayed in bed except for the time I went shopping. I really needed it, was feeling achy all over and my body just wanted to rest. By evening I had perked up sufficiently to muster some energy on the rowing machine, pleased with that effort! 

I think due to the frosty mornings now I will reschedule my gym times to midday - the usual crew seems to be there always around 10 am so if I go later they'd have left and I might have the place to myself.

Clipboard01.jpg

• Like 1

still feeling 'off' today so I just walked a lot but didn't do any work at the gym.

Very achy, nauseous and tired, my body clearly needs a rest.

Sleep - 6+ hours, plus an afternoon nap because I simply couldn't keep my eyes open.

Food - felt like I ate more than I needed to, also had a lot of fluid retention 

^^^

He's right, sounds like flue got you. Hot chicken broth, maybe some painkillers (paracetamol and  ibuprofen is anti-inflammatory as well as a painkiller) and rest. And try to sleep more if you can. 

Hope you'll get well :)

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

On 6/7/2019 at 7:44 PM, Valkyrie21 said:

I am now sitting down without any distractions for most meals.

I got so used to checking my phone when I eat, eating without distractions is too hard now.

8 hours ago, Valkyrie21 said:

still feeling 'off' today

Get well!

yep, I'd say you guys nailed it - some kind of flu, nothing terribly serious but enough to keep me laying low for a few days. No headcold, just headaches, nausea and pain all over.

Starting to perk up a bit now, ventured out today into the bush and had a very interesting photography session. I usually walk through there briskly (because walking=exercise) but today I took my time and discovered so many great objects to photograph. Clocked up a leisurely 5000 steps whilst I was at it too.

Tonight I found myself singing and dancing - I'd say the worst is over now with the flu. Hopefully I will be back at the gym tomorrow! 

• Like 1

Great news, happy to hear you feel better :)

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

14 hours ago, aramis said:

Great news, happy to hear you feel better :)

thanks, mate!

Leapt out of bed this morning and felt SO ready, my energy had been recharged and I had two loads of laundry done, swept and mopped the bathroom, laundry and toilet all before breakfast.

Back to the gym today, changed to lunchtime hours, knowing that the morning crew would have cleared out by then and I didn't have to worry about hogging the equipment for my purposes. It is also a bit warmer by that time so I can cycle there no worries.

Did a session with the rings, noticable increase in strength when I am in the 'Support Position', can clear my feet off the ground now for a couple of seconds. 

Levelled up in life in other areas - have washed the dishes and cleaned the kitchen benches every night for a whole month now.

This is a big improvement, I used to absolutely loathe doing the dishes, now it is a non-issue. 

Taking supplements regularly, eating more fruit (more - as opposed to none) 

Let me share a photo from yesterday's session in the bush - must have been an epic standoff, wonder who won!

Standoff.jpg

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Valkyrie21 said:

wonder who won

I bet all my money and socks on the one on the left. 

See you next challenge :loyal:

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

On 6/24/2019 at 3:17 PM, aramis said:

I bet all my money and socks on the one on the left. 

See you next challenge :loyal:

I think so too, there was no indication of a tussle either.

On 6/24/2019 at 3:41 PM, Mortimer said:

Yep great job on the workout! Sometimes a few days of rest really does wonders for your performance. 

Sorry I may have failed my perception check (City chit) but are those green things on the top right corner grasshoppers/crickets instead of leaves? 

you are correct on the grass bit - but it did not hop :chuncky:

Yesterday I clocked up my required amount of steps quite comfortably, had another Reiki session and that was my day done.

Levelled up in the food and eating department. As someone who has always struggled with an inability to limit my intake of certain foods - i.e. just a small handfull of nuts would inevitably turn into a whole bag, or gummi bears - always, without fail, a whole bag.  And I felt so lousy about my inability to control these impulses, every time I'd intend to moderate my intake and failed.

This has changed now, and it is bloody amazing.

I bought some Biotin gummi bears and wondered how I would cope with just having ONE each day. Firstly I checked possible overdoses because I feared I'd just go for the lot. But not so - been having one a day for 10 days now and damn bloody proud of it. 

Same with nuts, I can now measure out 30g and put the rest away for the next day. 

My taste buds have become more sensitive and I can really appreciate the flavours instead of scoffing stuff down the chute without a moment of appreciation.

The whole compulsion and anxiety that drove this kind of behaviour has been replaced by a feeling of calmness. 

Had planned to go to the gym today but forgot about an appointment, so tomorrow it is, will do more walking and some rowing again tonight. 

ADDIT: Unbelievable! The universe has a sense of humour second to none.

No sooner had I finished and posted this and there was a knock on the door - parcel delivery. Some electrolyte drinks I had ordered, together with two complimentary samples of.... Gummi Bears!  

Both samples are gluten free and therefore edible for me... can I rise to the challenge and NOT scoff down a whole bag full in one sitting? (these are tiny bags compared to what I used to inhale in one sitting but still - it will be a test)

Gummi.jpg

2 hours ago, Valkyrie21 said:

been having one a day for 10 days now and damn bloody proud of it. 

Same with nuts, I can now measure out 30g and put the rest away for the next day. 

My taste buds have become more sensitive and I can really appreciate the flavours instead of scoffing stuff down the chute without a moment of appreciation.

Great job! That is my weak point as well. Because of this, I am staying away from any sweets at all for 3 months now. But you show me eating a small treat is doable.

I'll try to eat ONE skittle today. 

2 hours ago, Valkyrie21 said:

can I rise to the challenge and NOT scoff down a whole bag full in one sitting?

Fingers crossed on your Gummi Bear Test :D

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler