A New Challenger Approaches: Alex871

Hi All!

I'm Alex, a 20 something working in Environmental Engineering from Ottawa, Ontario. I joined Nerd Fitness Academy in 2016, and it really helped me kickstart some good eating, exercise, and life habits. However 3 years later and many of those good habits I formed doing NFA have fallen to the wayside. I am working out of town for the next 3 months, which means living out of a motel, eating out nearly every meal of the day, peer pressure to drink beers with colleagues every night, and little to no exercise.  At least it did.

I'm excited to get started with the 4 week challenges, and build some accountability into improving my out of town work habits, and hopefully some of my at home habits too.

With that said, my 4 week challenge goals for June are:

1. Track my calorie intake for the full day, the 4 days a week I'm living out of town.

2. Join a local gym and workout there at least 2 times a week (last time I used the Academy I made it to Gym Level 6, so may Respawn at Gym 5).

3. When working out of town, only drink alcohol a maximum of 2 nights a week.

4. Buy groceries to make lunches during the week rather than buying fast food lunches.

I have a number of more mind and spirit focussed goals for later, but these steps I hope will help me get even MORE healthy when out of town, not less.

Thank you all! I look forward to finding some accountabilibuddies to keep on track and vice versa :) 

Cheers!

Alex871

• Like 4

XELAC HEARTSEEKER, Ranger of the North

Half-Elf Ranger Level 1

STR 2 | DEX 1 | STA 1 | CON 3 | WIS 1 | INT 1

Previous Challenges: 1 |

Ideals

Grow: Personally. Body, Mind, Spirit, and Heart. - Empower: Those within my circle - Create: The world I want to live in. - Enjoy: My life. - Nurture: Relationships

Welcome to the rebellion!! I think you're smart to limit the number of goals to start off with (and you have good ones) the temptation is to do "all the things!" Better to start with a few, reach those, then work on the next ones :D

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Part II

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Thank you Res! Having a plan has really improved my mental health as well, looking forward to getting started

• Like 1

Half-Elf Ranger Level 1

Ideals

Grow: Personally. Body, Mind, Spirit, and Heart. - Empower: Those within my circle - Create: The world I want to live in. - Enjoy: My life. - Nurture: Relationships

On 6/6/2019 at 3:49 PM, Alex871 said:

3. When working out of town, only drink alcohol a maximum of 2 nights a week.

4. Buy groceries to make lunches during the week rather than buying fast food lunches.

being on the road can be stressful and it is even harder to stick to goals when you gotta spend time socializing. i bet you'll meet all these goals np. packing lunches is like making your bed, once you get that out of the way it's harder to mess up everything else. :) good luck! 

• Like 1

Hey Alex! I'm super late to your thread but I'm so glad you're here! How are things going as this month winds down? Did these end up being good goals for you? Did you get an idea of some things to tweak for next month?

SKY ELVENWORD

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 42

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Books in Progress:

Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (24%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%)  |  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (0%) 
Books Finished:
Captivating (100%)  |  The Prodigal God (100%)  |  Not Yet Married (100%)  |  Gentle and Lowly (100%)

Hello all!

Thanks for all the support, it overall went great! 3/4 goals I achieved 100% completion, and it really helped me improve my mental health on this long out of town job.

SUCCESSES 3/4

I've joined a local Planet Fitness, and have started doing the 5x5 Stronglifts workout at least twice a week. 

My calorie tracking has gone great when I'm out of town and has really helped me pull back on snacking and drinking. Improvement can definitely be made on tracking at home, it is much harder to track homemade food rather than take out.

I've been getting groceries at the beginning of the week, and have gotten into a solid groove of big breakfasts and light snack lunches like a banana with peanut butter or carrots with hummus.

PARTIAL SUCCESS 1/4

One thing I failed to pull back on was social drinking only 2 nights a week. It's such an evening tradition out here. However, I've been counting every beer in my calorie tracker and been only drinking up to my daily calorie limit which I feel is actually a more sustainable plan moving forward without sacrificing socializing.

I look forward to the next four-week challenge, and think I'll be joining either the Warrior Guild for working on Stronglifts 5x5 or the Ranger Guild as I am working on a large variety of goals simultaneously, not just strength training ones. 

Thank you all for the words of support and comments, I really appreciate it!

All the best,

Alex871 (I need to make a cool signature... Any tips?)

• Like 3

Half-Elf Ranger Level 1

Ideals

19 hours ago, Alex871 said:

(I need to make a cool signature... Any tips?)

I put links to my previous challenge threads, as well as a couple of motivational quotes I like!  :)  People have all sorts of different signatures - you can put anything there that motivates you and lets others see what you're all about!

I think you did great with your first challenge and I'm super impressed! It also looks like you have a good idea of some things to tweak and try for your next challenge. Have you given any thought to what guild you'd like to check out for your next one? 

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

Books in Progress:

Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (24%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%)  |  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (0%) 
Books Finished:
Captivating (100%)  |  The Prodigal God (100%)  |  Not Yet Married (100%)  |  Gentle and Lowly (100%)

12 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I put links to my previous challenge threads, as well as a couple of motivational quotes I like!  :)  People have all sorts of different signatures - you can put anything there that motivates you and lets others see what you're all about!

I think you did great with your first challenge and I'm super impressed! It also looks like you have a good idea of some things to tweak and try for your next challenge. Have you given any thought to what guild you'd like to check out for your next one? 

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement Sky! I've used your signature as a bit of a template creating my character, and changed my name to match it. 

I think I'll take your advice and join the Rangers, as I've always felt like more a of Jack-of-all-trades in relation to my fitness. I'll see you over on the Rangers Forum.

Cheers!

Xelac

• Like 2

Half-Elf Ranger Level 1

Ideals

Your sig line looks great and I'm ecstatic that you're joining us in the Rangers! I'll look for you there!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD

Books in Progress:

Books Finished:

8 hours ago, Xelac_Heartseeker said:

I think I'll take your advice and join the Rangers, as I've always felt like more a of Jack-of-all-trades in relation to my fitness. I'll see you over on the Rangers Forum.

Proud to have you, see you there!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Part II

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda