Run Thom Run

Okay I hadnt planned on a challenge this time around. Being content to follow friends and chat in the guild hall.

Then the other night happened. So now I have a multi challenge event to undertake.

My SuperDad mate James recently completed his first 50km ultra marathon. He has a 100km coming up later in the year. The other night Truey asks James about doing a half marathon in January.

We all start chatting away and James mentions a half marathon in Wangarratta, a town thats about 3 hours from where I live. I got a bit carried away and asked James if they took walkers. They do, with their own cut off time of four hours.

Said I would join James there in Feb. Not running alongside him though. He want to do it in 90 minutes, going for a new pb.

As we chatted I looked at runs in Wagga. And I found the lake run and ride. A 10 km fun run, walk or ride. A perfect test and motivator. Free to sign up. Bloody perfect.

So here I am with 12 week deadline to complete my first 10km fun run.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

So my starting point:
Weight 133.8kg (294lb)
Dodgy right ankle due to tear in achilles tendon 2 years ago.
Dodgy right knee due to being hit by a car in 1992.
Can pinch sciatic nerve in hips at random times.
Haven't walked more than 5km in years, let alone run.
Both knees and ankles suffering due to excess strain from being a fat bastard.
Childhood asthma may affect breathing.
Ongoing stomach pains that can affect performance.

On the plus side, I have two support crews, the awesome Rangers at Nerd Fitness and my SuperDad brothers. I am stubborn stupid at times. Ten km is an acheivable distance. I live close to the route to be taken so I can literally train on the track.

I went for a walk today. It gives me a base level to start from. c12f21c97ad240b082c5833ed8b057cc.jpg74b254d46a465ebcde6e43b3f29aad28.jpg

• Like 4

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Thank you for your support ladies.

• Like 2

Great job! You signed up, and you got yourself out there to walk!  You've already shown you can do a big chunk of the distance.

Thank you. You are an inspiration for this distance thing. [emoji4]

• Like 1

So went for a walk today, shame the strava app crashed as I was on my walk. Didnt notice until I was getting ready to finish my time. [emoji35]

Still I got out and completed another walk.

• Like 2

Grrrr! That happened to me once! I was running a loop around the trail and my GPS somehow got messed up. It still has some weird messed up record of that workout stuck in there. Every time I sync my watch to my computer it reminds me that "1 workout failed to sync."

Good though that you didn't notice until the end!

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Another walk done, once again the strava app crashed on my phone. Not happy about that.

I didn't do my normal walk as I was at Bec's place. We had an argument triggered by me saying I was going for a walk. I ended up going for a maybe fifteen minute angry frustrated walk.

The only bonus is I now have my Emmy and Nina home with me for the weekend.

• Like 2

Walked to my local shopping centre today.

2.3km according to strava, which did play up, but I caught by checking my phone twice on my walk.

Still that makes four walks in the first week. Woohoo!

• Like 2

Oh yesterday was my Emmy's party, she is 13 today. We did a family party at her granma's house.

49b74f131517941658754fab8339c97a.jpg

• Like 4

On 6/14/2019 at 8:12 AM, Thom Stépan said:

I didn't do my normal walk as I was at Bec's place. We had an argument triggered by me saying I was going for a walk. I ended up going for a maybe fifteen minute angry frustrated walk.

Sorry to hear this. There can be a lot packed into an argument like that. Good that you still went walking, but sorry it was not so enjoyable. As you continue to do the walking, you'll figure out how best to work it into your life, and the people around you may become more accepting that it's just a normal thing you do.

16 hours ago, Thom Stépan said:

Still that makes four walks in the first week. Woohoo!

Fantastic!

16 hours ago, Thom Stépan said:

Oh yesterday was my Emmy's party, she is 13 today. We did a family party at her granma's house.

Lovely picture! She looks so happy!!!

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

This is purely a brag post about my son.

Last night my 16 yr old decided to open an online shop. TBlegion is his brand name. The TB stands for True Believer. The diamond in his logo represents prosperity.

At the moment he just has a few products with his logo. He is planning on creating several designs over the next few weeks.

Theo enjoys his positivity memes and stuff around having a growth mindset and achieving dreams. I am expecting his designs to be along those lines, or have his irreverent humour.

It is interesting to see how this young generation views earning money. As a Gen Xer if I wanted to earn money, I would do odd jobs for family, clean their cars usually. Some got after school jobs, others did baby sitting or mowed lawns.

But my son as part of Gen Z starts an online store selling items that some random company makes and adds his logo/designs on them. What a different mindset. Oh and just to be clear he does have a holiday job. One that he has held for three years now. Yet it is interesting that his idea for earning bonus money is via the net rather than a form of manual labour.

Regardless of how well this little business goes, I am proud of him for giving it a go. True believers are achievers.

https://shop.spreadshirt.com.au/tblegion/

• Like 3

102 days to go. 84bba2c6c474c29cfc097a5470f6d58f.jpg

• Like 4

Wow, that is super impressive that you son started his own business! Creative and hardworking, no wonder you're proud
Yeah, but dont tell him, he might get a big head. There's only enough room for one big head in my unit. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

• Like 3

Onto other news. I went for a wee wander today.

My car was left at the mechanics overnight. I arranged to pick it up today. So I decided to walk to town to pick it up.

Just under 5k and nearly an hour later I was at the mechanics. Kept up a steady pace throughout the walk. I even wandered around town for a bit afterwards.

My right knee is aching tonight, but that is more likely the cold rather than from my walk.

I am fully confident in my ability to do the 10k in September. Even with my dodgy body. 208612551cff7a7125e1026f34d526cc.jpged92c17b521af23e46f20ce34910bb41.jpge260ba5530fe7774601b418d7f76f647.jpg

• Like 4

great job! and a decent hill in there too!
That hill is part of my 10k fun run.

• Like 2

I did a lighter walk today. Just one to my local shopping centre. About 2.3km.

Strava played up though.d71ac60315fb3f3026d272e258d26d23.jpg

• Like 1

Nice walking, and congrats on courage to sign up on that race :)

I plan my first run next year, but I never thought on actually walking the race. Maybe this would work for me. Thanks for inspiration. 

Are you using any stabilizers for your knee? Those things can help a lot. My boss had both menisci removed from one knee and still he rollerblades with no problem. 

• Like 2

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

G'day@Aramis, no I don't use any stabalisers for my knee. Although I have my walking stick with me.

Back in '92 I was hit by a ute which cause the initial damage. I had an arthroscopy and a bit of a scrape. It doesn't like the cold too much. Nor my extra weight (50kg, 110lb, by medical standards).

At 133kg (293lb) running is not a good option, yet. The fun run I signed up for allows running, walking and cycling, so I am lucky.

There is a half marathon in a town about three hours away that allows walkers as well. They have a four hour cut off though. It is in February next year. I am thinking about it.

• Like 1