Wodanier's Battle Log

I'm starting out again with tracking my progress. I had a great journal in which every workout I did in the last four years was logged, and somewhat recently that journal was lost. It's a shame. Maybe it will turn up somewhere unexpectedly so I can fill all the pages with workout stats. I'm always doing something, so I will track my planned out workouts, but also my climbing progress, bike commuting miles, and incidental hikes, and walks. It all counts. I'll list what I eat every day too, but I'm currently not a big fan of tracking micros and micros. I'll mention how my workouts and climbing training is going and how I'm feeling about it all. 

Here goes! Do a little bit every day.

Today's workout

Physical Therapy Exercises - (These exercises are currently supposed to be performed every day to help with some knee and leg issues I've been having, and I've slacked on that for a few weeks. Shame on me.)

-Standing Ankle Dorsiflexion Stretch on Chair 1x30

-Gastroc Stretch on Wall 2x30 Seconds

-Side Stepping with Resistance and Thighs and Ankles 3x15

-Wall Squat with Heel Raise 3x15

I feel strong resistance to even doing my daily PT work. I'll have to build things up slowly. There's no rush. 

• Like 1

Today's Activity

Biked to work - 8.1 miles

Physical Therapy Exercises

-Standing Ankle Dorsiflexion Stretch on Chair 1x30

-Gastroc Stretch on Wall 2x30 Seconds

-Side Stepping with Resistance and Thighs and Ankles 3x15

-Wall Squat with Heel Raise 3x15

Today's Food

Breakfast(designed solely with convenience in mind)

-3 soft boiled eggs

-mixed raw veggies: carrot, orange bell pepper, and broccoli

Lunch

-Kahuna vegetarian sandwich(super tasty spicy tofu and coleslaw between a bun made by local Portland company)

Dinner

Dominos 3 topping pizza for $7.99

...I ate the whole thing in a single sitting by myself(wom wom)

Liquids Throughout the Day

Water: 7 glasses

Coffee: 2.5 mugs

Peppermint tea: 1

Snacks

-Clif Protein Builder Chocolate & Peanut bar

-1 Blue Raspberry Dum Dum

Thoughts on the Day

-I was tired all day. Woke up not rested enough, struggled to make it through the work day. Took a few power naps where I could fit them in, and at one point nearly decided to call out early for the day. I had plans to do some additional exercises but my energy was zapped. I think this is a sleep related issue. I need to be asleep every night before or by 10pm, and I've been staying up much later than that for a long time, so I have some sleep debt. It's probably related to my food choices as well.

-I felt like I was doing pretty ok food-wise for the day before choosing to buy a Clif bar, which is basically a candy bar with protein added to it. That caused a slippery slope leading to consuming a whole Dominos pizza(not the first time I've eaten an entire one in a single sitting). I'm glad that this doesn't happen every day, and I'm glad I'm active enough on a weekly basis that it cancels out most of the excess calories from a whole pizza when I do eat an entire one. I don't want to eat whole pizzas in one sitting anymore. Food is an area of growth for me.

Do a little bit every day.

Today's Workout

-Bouldering at the rock gym with a friend for an hour. Currently plateaued on v3 bouldering routes.

-Didn't really get to the PT exercises today....(Why is this so hard to follow through with??? The PT exercises aren't even difficult or time consuming.)

Liquids

-I lost count on the water front, but I definitely drank at least 8 glasses

-Coffee: 4 mugs

Food

Kinda let myself go on the food front today. The Dominos pizza from yesterday started a slippery slope that evolved into a landslide today.

Breakfast from Whole Foods

-Loaded tatertots(imagine tater tots stuffed with cheese and bacon. First time having those, and it was a life changing experience.)

-a couple sausage links

-scrambled eggs

Here's where it became a prob:

-Chocolate chip banana muffin(it was big) AND a sizable blueberry cheese danish

Lunch

Break basically carried me through the day until dinner time

Dinner

-Burger and Fries...

How I feel about the day

Definitely not the best day with sticking to making healthy choices, but it's also far from being my worst so there's that. And there were a lot of moments throughout the day where I felt tempted to buy ice cream or candy or cookies but decided against it.

Do little bit every day.

Just to be honest: Right now I'm not crushing it with my goals, and it's hard to be fully honest about that with myself and on this forum. I consistently swing back and forth between balanced nutrition with some treats thrown in every once in a while and binging on whatever looks good.  I ate like crap today and didn't work out. The vast majority of what I ate today was sugar and carbs. My stomache is upset as I'm writing this post because of how I ate today.

It feels incredibly tempting to be dishonest with myself and this forum when listing everything I ate today. I could easily omit some of the things I ate today that I feel the most guilty about consuming, and nobody would know. But I'm only doing myself a disservice if I allow myself to be dishonest here.

Breakfast

-Bagel and cream cheese at Starbucks

An Hour later:

-McDonalds breakfast menu platter with pancakes, syrup, eggs, hashbrown, biscuit, jam condiments

Lunch:

Ate out at a sushi place near work. Had some rolls and veggies. Cheesecake for dessert.

Dinner:

-Three very large homemade chocolate chip pancakes with syrup

Water: 3-4 glasses

Coffee: 4-6 cups

tea: I cup

How I feel: My stomache just hurts. It's not the first time I've eaten like this, but it feels like a smack in the face because I'm willing this time to track it honestly. 

Happily there's always the opportunity when moving forward to make different choices.

I forgot over the weekend to track of what I was eating and what I did for activity. I ate a lot of junk food, and the healthy food I ate was in too large of servings...

Activity-wise I went hiking for a few hours with friends on Saturday and walked a lot in the city today.

Today's food:

Brunch: Blueberry Pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, coffee

Dinner: Chocolate chip pancakes

This is where I'm at.  My current food choices don't make me happy, although everything tastes great in the moment. Changing habits is hard.

On 6/10/2019 at 10:26 PM, wodanier said:

I had a great journal in which every workout I did in the last four years was logged, and somewhat recently that journal was lost.

App type journal or blog or other? I'm always looking for something to keep me honest. I think the MapMyFitness site is about as close as I can get so far.

Look me up!  MapMyFitness       MyFitnessPal       Fitbit

On 6/18/2019 at 8:09 AM, MrUgly72 said:

App type journal or blog or other? I'm always looking for something to keep me honest. I think the MapMyFitness site is about as close as I can get so far.

It was just a basic hardback lined journal, dimensions approximately 5 3/4" x 7" in dimension that I turned into a designated workout log. I find it very satisfying to create a physical paper trail of my progress. For some reason I find it easier to stay on top of tracking everything when I simply scribble everything down onto paper with a pen.