The Fat Man Shuffle

I have decided that I don't want to die. My Dad made the comment that I was heavier than my Grandfather was when he had his massive heart attack and dropped dead. Careful consideration has led me to discover I don't want to die until I am very old, very cranky and have firmly established my role as family curmudgeon.

I have one child, two ex-wives and a cat that that stares at me a says 'Sleep well, I'll most likely kill you in the morning.'

I'd say I'm an open book, but books are interesting. I'm a leaflet you see drifting along the pavement. If I'm face up you might learn something, but if I'm face down on the pavement, best move along.

Once I figure out how to share my workouts, I'll do so here.

• Like 2

Look me up!  MapMyFitness       MyFitnessPal       Fitbit

On 6/14/2019 at 2:52 PM, MrUgly72 said:

I have decided that I don't want to die

Well, I take that as quite good stance. 

On 6/14/2019 at 2:52 PM, MrUgly72 said:

and a cat

I have three of those lurking at my home. You'll never know which cabinet suddenly grow a clawed paw to catch your foot...

I see you focus on cardio. The rule of a thumb here is nutrition is 80-90% of weight loss - are you doing anything in this field? If not, check this and this.

And if you really want to lose weight, in terms of exercises strength training would be what most people here choose. I'm not saying cardio or HIIT is bad, if you enjoy it - do it. Best exercises are those you'll stick with. But adding a bit of bodyweight or free weight exercises to your routine would probably help (as long as there are no medical contraindications).

And BTW - great mustache!

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

I'm going to see about the Keto method. (I don't want to diet, I want to change). Once of my strengths is the ability to not get bored with food. I can eat the same thing every day and it doesn't bother me. So I am heading the store today to stop for ingredients for make-a-head meals. I have -0- problem eating healthy, but I get mighty annoyed if I can't eat RIGHT THE HELL NOW! Whenever that is. If it's quicker for me to order from GrubHub or UberEats than it is to make something, that's what happens.

On the exercise front, yes, I plan on some body weight exercises in about two weeks. So starting in July. I am trying to get my body used the level of cardio. I want to wake up and have it ready to walk 3 miles and cycle 11. Once I have the habit, then I will start the rest. I know me. after 46 years of observation, I have realized that while I have good intentions, I have a shit execution track record. If I jump in and try to make wholesale changes all at once, I will absolutely fail. 

I live alone, I have no family close by and my girlfriend of 7 years that I thought I was going to die with has just left me. I have a new job doing something I loathe but that pays well and my new boss, who is a great guy, is *literally* half my age. My self confidence is at an all time low, I have clinical depression (Why my girlfriend left me) and no support structure. If I want to succeed, I need to engineer it as I will not get encouragement or validation externally, save for these forums.

And I love my mustache. I don't care where I go, I'm the only there that has one like it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MrUgly72 said:

On the exercise front, yes, I plan on some body weight exercises in about two weeks. So starting in July. I am trying to get my body used the level of cardio. I want to wake up and have it ready to walk 3 miles and cycle 11. Once I have the habit, then I will start the rest. I know me. after 46 years of observation, I have realized that while I have good intentions, I have a shit execution track record. If I jump in and try to make wholesale changes all at once, I will absolutely fail. 

Excellent strategy!

3 hours ago, MrUgly72 said:

I'm going to see about the Keto method

Nice. Be advised tho, it needs quite lot of planning as it restricts almost all carbs from your nutrition. But you do you. Whatever you eat, batch cooking is a way to go. If easiest way to get food is to grab something healthy from the fridge, it's a win-win scenario :)

I tried Paleo, but realized I can't live without diary, so I just keep in mind to eat as non-factory-processed as possible food, keep in my caloric limit and prioritize proteins. 

3 hours ago, MrUgly72 said:

while I have good intentions, I have a shit execution track record

Same here, mister, same here. But everything is doable. Battle Logs helped me a bunch. And a wall calendar where I check off (with colorful felt-tips) days of workouts and walk/running.

Ya need support? Here, have some 

pos-pos.thumb.jpg.63fcf969d2b5065a55f8c7e08818ac6c.jpg

Cheers :)

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Another day, another challenge. This week, I am going to walk/cycle every morning instead of one day on, one day off. I did some research and apparently it's safe and even recommended to do both every day. 

And holy crap do I sleep well. I go to bed around 2100 and naturally woke the past two mornings about 3 minutes before my alarm went off @ 0500. My goal for this week is to establish "The Routine". "The Routine" is my daily life. So far, this is what it looks like:
0500 - Wake up

0515 - Go for 3 mile walk, aim for a sub 18 minute pace

0615 - Cycle to work 11 miles. Aim for a 10 minute mile. (Harder than you might think. I go through Valley Forge National Park and the hills kick my ass both ways every day.)

0800 -1600 Work. Make the world a better, safer more healthy place. Or watch cat videos on YouTube. As long as I get paid, I'm pretty ambivalent.

1615 - Cycle home

1730 - Make dinner. Last night I tried some advice I read here. I just ate. No internet, no TV, nothing. Just me, my fork and a plate of chicken & broccoli. I didn't reach FoodZen, but I'm not the knife in the drawer. I'll try again tonight.

2100 - Bedtime (This flexes a little as I sometimes get distracted by things I need to get done for the morning. Usually asleep within 10 minutes of lights out.

My problem is the time from 1830 to 2100. I'm beat. I mean, -0- energy. I feel as though I could sleep at 1930. I still have things I need to do; school coursework, cleaning, prep for the next day, I'm just so wiped out, it's a struggle.

Anyway, I'll figure it out.

• Like 2

GRR! ARGH! NUCKING FRELLING DIRT MUNCHING>>>>>GAH!!!!

My bike broke! My fault, I was unlocking it from the rack to go home and I didn't see the cable was tangled on the rack. Gave it the grunting lift, and.....ripped off the brake cable and dislocated the shifter.

That kills two hours of cardio a day. and will cost me probably over $100, plus the Uber ride home. 

Damnit.  Dammit. Damn it. Shit.

Sorry about a bike, congrats on strength (after all, brake cable is steel wire). Aren't you able to fix it yourself? Changing a brake cable shouldn't be too hard, and synchronizing shifter is sometimes tricky, but nowadays there's tutorial video for anything. This way you could save some money and get some satisfaction from fixing your bike. 

Unless you are one of those people who can't tell Phillips screwdriver from pipe wrench... Then just suck it up and be more gentle next time ;)

Don't kick yourself too hard for this, maybe it was for good - by breaking your bike you avoided being captured by aliens that day. 

Cheers

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

It all worked out. Yes, I have to spend money on the bike, but the guy noticed (and proved) that my chain needed to be replace and showed me that my breaks were also not great. 

Now that I know *HOW* to fix them, I probably could. Reality is, I got dejected and gave up. Instead of powering through, I got petulant, crossed my arms and had a sulk. 

Look at the bright side - you now have way safer bike. Injury prevention at it's finest :)

About mood - couple days ago my car died. I had to drop my airsoft training to see if I can repair it. It turned out I couldn't. I had a sulk as well, because - a) I coudn't, b) I lost my training. Then I went on a run. And suddenly, my head just switched from "grumpy" to "mr.fixit", I planned how to deal with the situation etc. Maybe all you need is to let some fresh air into your head. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Hey there, how are you doing? You stopped posting your workouts - something happened?

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, aramis said:

Hey there, how are you doing? You stopped posting your workouts - something happened?

Kind of. I struggle with depression, and I just sort of drew back into my shell. I'm still doing the workouts, and just started body weight training this morning, but I lost motivation in posting. I will make an effort going forward. 

I genuinely thank you for asking.

9 minutes ago, MrUgly72 said:

I struggle with depression, and I just sort of drew back into my shell.

That's bad to hear, I hope I could help. 

2 minutes ago, MrUgly72 said:

just started body weight training this morning

Really? That's great news! 

2 minutes ago, MrUgly72 said:

I will make an effort going forward.

So good to hear this one :) 

3 minutes ago, MrUgly72 said:

I genuinely thank you for asking

My pleasure. We all sometimes need a little nudge in the right direction :loyal: 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler