How to deal with warmth?

Hey :) I don't know if there has been a discussion about this topic, I cannot find it. 

Wonder if anyone relates & has found a solution for this. I can deal with the cold pretty well if I do not get sick of course. But warmth (about 22 C and higher with humidity ) makes me pretty useless.

Of course I can go to a place with airconditioning, but I wonder if I can find some other methods to be productive in warm weather. I.e. without becoming a night owl, which does not always help in pique summer.

So far:

* strategic opening of windows (only in the morning, and the evening if there is some wind/ a breeze)

* keeping the blinds closed mostly

* infusing my life with mint. drinking mint tea, having mints, washing my scalp with minty shampoo.

* I plan to get one of those ventilators with water, but you can only use those in the garden or the bathroom :p

*also plan to keep a small tub with ice cubes and a small towel to wet handy... somewhere. 

Let's see how it goes this year!

• Like 1

Level ☆ human [uncategorizable]
STR 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | STA 3 | WIS 6 | CHA 6

I've lived in some pretty hot places over the years (regular highs between 35-40 Celcius) and I've developed a few tricks. Wardrobe helps tremendously. Wear loose-fitting clothing for better ventilation. Tropic-weight cotton or 100-gram merino wool makes great fabric that breath well. I also live in sandals during the summer months. I also recommend cold showers. Start with a warm shower to get yourself clean and then turn the water to as cold as you can stand and hold on for five minutes. This helps drop your core temperature for a little bit. I do it whenever I come in from a long run during the summer to keep me from sweating the minute I get out of the shower.

• Like 3

"If you would improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

"You just gotta listen to your body, unless it's saying anything about stopping, pain, your joints, or needing water."

Level 20 Pilgrim (Adventurer 7, Assassin 3, Druid 2, Monk 10, Ranger 5, Rebel 9, Scout 10, Warrior 4)

Important: water conducts heat very efficiently, but only if the heat has somewhere to go.  To pull heat away from you, the water must be: 1) evaporating, or 2) colder than your skin.  If you sit around in wet clothes on a hot day, and the water is NOT evaporating, all you've done is given yourself a soggy humidity wrap which will quickly warm to body temp, and then keep you at that temp.  This is why athletes wear "wicking" and "fast drying" fabrics, and why dry heat is easier to tolerate than humid heat.  Do not wear clothes that dry slowly, such as cotton.

The best parts to chill if you want to stay cool are your head, throat, groin, hands, and feet.  Those are areas where your body naturally increases circulation when it wants to cool down.  Try putting a wet towel in the fridge, and then put it on your feet or your neck. 

Open the windows at night so the house

can cool down.  Close them first thing in the morning to keep the cool air in.  Keep the curtains closed during the day.

• Like 3

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

If you're sitting a lot, you can use a tub with cold water for your feet.  Also wear minimal clothing in light fabrics.  You could also take breaks by lying in a dry bathtub or on a tile floor.

• Like 1

I have conditions that affect my social awareness.  If I am rude, tell me what I could do better.

5'8" & 220 260 pounds | Miles Walked: X

2019: | 1 | 2 | 3 |

Pre 2017: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | * | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 |

Thanks :) I decided I would live in my light 'easy dry' sports clothing when I can but I might reconsider my loose clothing again. 

They spray ventilator I bought does not wet beside me too much so I am using it indoors well. Win!

I will also start keeping a wet towel cold and maybe use a tub indeed. 

Also, last year my apetite did not slow down for warm food and sweets. This year it did. I think that is helping too bc the body has to generate less heat to metabolise the food?

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 1:19 AM, The Shadow said:

How does the mint help?

It did give me the illusion I was less warm haha

On 10/9/2019 at 9:48 AM, Zaethe said:

A bowl of ice cubes in front of a fan provides some pretty nice cool air.  If you have a fan running at all, closing off the area you're in means the cold air isn't going to be spreading out through the whole house/apartment.

Thanks, just saw your post.

I usually have the doors open, since the way the rooms are it really needs to happen to ventilate the upper floor. 

When I lived in a place that during the summer is 100F/100% humidity I just broke down and got a window air conditioner from amazon. Before I did that I was so miserable not even taking a cold shower would help because "cold" in August was 80 degrees.  I eventually moved to the mountains (for other reasons). It's -23F now and I couldn't be happier. It took a while to save for the air conditioner but my quality of life improved drastically. Worth it. If that's an option for you I'd say go for it. Often you can find used ones for less.

• Like 1