Air Fryer?

I have birthday money!! I'm thinking of getting an air fryer. It's been on my wish list for a while. Anyone have one?. Do you like it? What do you like/not like about it? What brand do you have?

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

We have one! 

I'm pretty sure we have this one, gotten on sale. Note: there are 8 people (7 old enough to eat food out of the air fryer), so it gets a good bit of use.

Pros: It's a solid product. Ours has been used at least a few times per week since the fall and is still going strong. We got a larger size and can do a full bag of frozen fries (see the ridiculous household size). I like crispy foods, and it definitely does a better job than the oven. Also, if you worry about the heat of using an oven in the summer, it is definitely a cooler alternative. Ours cleans up easily. 

Cons: It's not really that much faster than oven baking in most cases. Depending on the food you cook, you'll still need to use a bit of oil. Can take up a bit of space depending on your kitchen set up / available storage space. 

Overall, I'd say it's more of a novelty purchase than a solid cooking tool. For us, it was a worthwhile purchase due to the kids using it, but if it were just my husband and I, it would have been a waste. If your normal food choices are ones that could alternatively be air fried, it would probably be worthwhile. 

• Like 1

Thanks, I  wanted it for the crispy food more than anything. We have an Instapot, so that does quick. I gave away my deep fat fryer (all that oil!) but I miss the  French fries. I was thinking that birthday money would be good to spend on it, as it isn't something I'd normally purchase, since it's not really a sold cooking tool

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

12 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

It does do a great job on fries

Really? My main concern was soggy fries :)

If it makes fries crisp, I might consider getting one too. Have you tried frying other veggies, like broccoli/cauliflower? Is it faster than oven? 

• Like 1

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

29 minutes ago, Deckard Gainz said:

I do not own one but I have had some extremely good air-fried broccoli, and I second that it's fantastic for brussel sprouts.

Thanks!

update: I did get an airfryer.So far, I've only cooked one thing but I am happy so far. I cooked frozen sweet potato fries, and they were so good!

• Like 2

On 6/22/2019 at 1:50 PM, Sylvaa said:

Pro tip: it's also really good for Brussel Sprouts!

My dad got the family an air fryer for Christmas and we're pretty pleased with it so far but I have not tried it with Brussels sprouts. I hate how long they take in the oven so maybe this will be our next experiment.

Pro tip: tostones taste better out of the pan. They're more oily right out and the salt sticks to them better. I tried.

Frozen sweet plantains come out great though, and in just 7 minutes at 350 F!

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature

12 hours ago, Snickie said:

My dad got the family an air fryer for Christmas and we're pretty pleased with it so far but I have not tried it with Brussels sprouts. I hate how long they take in the oven so maybe this will be our next experiment.

Pro tip: tostones taste better out of the pan. They're more oily right out and the salt sticks to them better. I tried.

Frozen sweet plantains come out great though, and in just 7 minutes at 350 F!

I didn't know there was such a thing as frozen sweet plantains.I will look for that. Were the tostones frozen too or did you make them? I really like French fries (both fresh and frozen in the fryer) Green beans were yummy too

Publix sells them as plátanos maduros. I don't know about other stores or other states/countries. Caribbean islanders would probably call blasphemy on frozen plantains lol.

My tostones are fresh not frozen. Straight from the plantain. I wonder how a batch of pre fried for the first time and mashed plantains would do in the freezer and the air fryer afterwards. I'll have to look that up when I don't have to leave in 5 minutes.

• Like 1

Snickie | Level 25 Female Human

Assassin-ish | Level ??? | tall skinny female stick figure

STR med | AGI low | DEX high | CON med | WIS ??? | CHA ???

Current Challenge: Snickie Builds a Solids Foundation

Top right down arrow > Account Settings > Signature