• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I'm in desperate need of some hip exercises. I sit at a desk all day in a horrid chair and my hips are killing me by early afternoon (right now). I'm working on getting a new chair to help since this has never been an issue until this chair came along. But in the meantime, what is something to help with the pain? Something that I could do every hour or so just to keep things not as painful. 

Hiya. Can you be more specific about where the pain is? E.g. in the front, at the crease of your leg (hip flexors), or at the back where your glutes meet your lower back? Or do they feel tight all over? Or on the side? 

I do lunges for my tight hip flexors (I make it more intense by posteriorly tilting my pelvis). I use a frog pose to stretch the sides of my hips and open them up. And I don't know what it's called, but I stretch my glutes by starting in a lunge position, one leg stretched out behind me, then fold the other leg in front and lie down on it. Like this: 

gentle-glute-stretch.jpg

• Like 1

I’d guess the chair was coincidental. I’d look up a Yoga for hips video and do that. 10 minutes a night would do a world of good.

As far as an hourly activity, the most important thing you could do is get up and walk around. Also, this stretch c2f24821b6eca19083b58dd335c3df9b.jpg

• Like 1

Doing the above stretches along with hip strengthening exercise has helped. I  think side planks help the most. Also, sitting on the floor more often (like in the evening watching TV) helps. Sitting on the floor usually means you do several different positions, which seems to give a natural stretch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedPandaOne said:

Its hurts right along the outside. I need to sit in my chair cross legged (lotus almost) for my hips not to hurt by lunchtime.

Ah, okay. I would go for the last stretch I described, where you fold one leg under you. It stretches slightly different bits depending on the exact position.

• Like 1

FWIW, I found that beyond moving regularly (I set an egg timer to make sure I get up every hour if I'm doing computer work) and finding a more comfortable chair (I use a saddle stool these days), the best thing I've done to reduce hip pain has actually been resistance training for my core/glutes.

For myself, my hips were effectively compensating for my weaker areas, tightening up and aching because I wasn't supporting the sitting posture properly with the muscles that are actually supposed to. In this context, rolling and stretching really didn't help much, but working on spine/hip alignment to sit on your sitbones (not your tailbone) can kinda FEEL like stretching at first. :P 

It may/may not be similar for yourself, but I think that most people can benefit from extra glute work regardless, so that may be something to look at!

EDIT: Just remembered as well, leg swings are an awesome 'reset' quick movement you can do at work every hour to shake things out. And using a vibration plate or percussion massager at home can maybe help with the pain. Worth trying!

• Like 2

Ooo, interesting! I do have a weak core, and I'm constantly stopping myself from being hunched. I've been working on building a strength training routine to do, so I'll add resistance for my core/glutes!

• Like 1