• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

6 hours ago, Rinna said:

Thank you, no.  Hell no, even.  What the devil s touching the food?  Never mind, I don’t wanna know.

It has to be a concept.

4 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

That's not a fridge. It's a disguise.

https://images.app.goo.gl/TYcyubHGXFwM2veR8

Now it makes perfect sense.

1 hour ago, Raxie said:

Congrats on the move!! Hope all went smoothly :)

Thanks!

• Like 2

Today is a good day. Sleep was great in the new house. This is all out of order but today we: set up the kitchen, did work in the master bedroom, got blinds exchanged, and I moved things to make room for other things so I can set up the office. The water softener people came out for an install but have to come back tomorrow. It's complicated to explain and I'm on mobile, but nothing bad, just technical. The handyman came back to finish installing blinds. One issue, the handle in our tub/shower is weird; I'm gonna replace it. That led to looking up how to do it on YouTube. That led to the realization I am handier than I thought and an increase in DIY self confidence. Not going to change that fixture yet, but I know I can do it.

• Like 20

Phew. I have just caught up on five pages of a wonderful house-moving saga, and it makes me happy to think that maybe, I'm a little more caught up on how you guys are doing. I have been away too long. Allow me to once again extend my congratulations to you and Sra. Tanque on this exciting new phase of life, and especially the new life you are bringing into the world! 

Also, as someone in the very first phase of moving (looking at properties), I see that I have a long road ahead. But hopefully my journey will be as rewarding as your own. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Yay for being in the new house! So excited for you guys. And woot for youtube and DIY projects

We are excited too!

9 hours ago, deftona said:

HAPPY NEW HOUSE, GUYS!!! 

OMG IT IS AWESOME!

6 hours ago, Terah said:

Congratulations on the new house! 

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

Phew. I have just caught up on five pages of a wonderful house-moving saga, and it makes me happy to think that maybe, I'm a little more caught up on how you guys are doing. I have been away too long. Allow me to once again extend my congratulations to you and Sra. Tanque on this exciting new phase of life, and especially the new life you are bringing into the world! 

Also, as someone in the very first phase of moving (looking at properties), I see that I have a long road ahead. But hopefully my journey will be as rewarding as your own. 

I'm so glad to see you here. I hope you have a place you love like we love ours.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That led to looking up how to do it on YouTube. That led to the realization I am handier than I thought and an increase in DIY self confidence.

Awesome! Just remember that on YouTube they don't show that you have the wrong wrench and that the years of accumulated gunk means that the new one won't actually fit... so you have to find some way to ream it out without damaging the pipes that you can't easily replace... and now the pipe is weirdly offset... and the first time you do it, even following explicit instructions, you will install it upside down... how do I know this? Experience, my friend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

55 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

Awesome! Just remember that on YouTube they don't show that you have the wrong wrench and that the years of accumulated gunk means that the new one won't actually fit... so you have to find some way to ream it out without damaging the pipes that you can't easily replace... and now the pipe is weirdly offset... and the first time you do it, even following explicit instructions, you will install it upside down... how do I know this? Experience, my friend.

Those guys don't have a former master plumber for a dad. He can't see as well as he used to, but he still knows what he's doing, and even if I do all the work he can still keep me from attaching the flux capacitor directly into the plasma feed from the warp core and running it through the Heisenberg compensators instead of the structural integrity field.

48 minutes ago, tishnicden said:

following along. When I was last here, you guys were planning the wedding! Time flies.... 

Welcome back! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

25 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

attaching the flux capacitor directly into the plasma feed from the warp core and running it through the Heisenberg compensators instead of the structural integrity field.

Don't you just hate it when that happens. 

• Like 5

Today is a good day. We got the water softener installed, set up the living room, cleaned some at the old place (big clean and hopefully turning in the keys tomorrow) and went to the monthly Wednesday service at church. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We got the water softener installed,

Ok, I need to ask now you've mentioned this so many times. What the heck is a water softener and why is it important? I live in a hard water area too and I am assuming it's a limescale thing?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deftona said:

Ok, I need to ask now you've mentioned this so many times. What the heck is a water softener and why is it important? I live in a hard water area too and I am assuming it's a limescale thing?

As someone who hates the hard water in my area, I too am eager to know...

• Like 1

Water softeners.    The thing that requires you to carry 40+ bags of Morton salt into your basement every few months and show off those sexy stronk-girl muscles.     They do stuff for water too I hear.   

So glad to hear that you are settling in and loving everything. :)  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Those guys don't have a former master plumber for a dad. He can't see as well as he used to, but he still knows what he's doing, and even if I do all the work he can still keep me from attaching the flux capacitor directly into the plasma feed from the warp core and running it through the Heisenberg compensators instead of the structural integrity field.

That is some high quality technobabble... 

OG6sHkf.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, deftona said:

It is indeed a limescale thing. See below.

14 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

As someone who hates the hard water in my area, I too am eager to know...

See below :) 

3 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Water softeners.    The thing that requires you to carry 40+ bags of Morton salt into your basement every few months and show off those sexy stronk-girl muscles.     They do stuff for water too I hear.   

So glad to hear that you are settling in and loving everything. :)  

Thank you. 

Ok, so yes, a water softener removes the minerals from hard water. San Antonio gets its water supply from the Edwards Aquifer, which is an underground limestone cave system and apparently geologically significant. All that water filtering through limestone means that minerals dissolve into the water (in our case calcium and magnesium) and when that water comes out of the tap and evaporates it leaves the mineral deposits behind. Those of you who asked above probably know that as you deal with hard water (I had no Idea GB had hard water issues). A softener runs the house's water supply through resin, which changes out the magnesium and calcium ions for sodium ions (that's why you have to buy those heavy bags of salt Starpuck mentioned). When the resin gets full of those minerals, it dissolves the salt in question and runs that water backward through the tank and drains it out again. Therefore your water supply is soft (no minerals) and things in your house don't get all that mineral buildup. This link is to the company we went with and I'm pretty sure is the model we got:

https://www.alamowatersofteners.com/care-soft-elite/

2 hours ago, Moros said:

That is some high quality technobabble... 

OG6sHkf.jpg

I've logged enough Trek Hours to Technobabble fairly well.

• Like 6

Being gone for a few days = lots of happenings on Tank's thread.  :D  So proud of you guys and managing something this big with so little help, and so immensely happy that you like (kinda sounds like love?) the house!

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 2:45 PM, GoodDoug said:

In my house, no project is complete until someone cries (me) and someone bleeds (usually my husband, occasionally me as well).

• Like 5

3 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Being gone for a few days = lots of happenings on Tank's thread.  :D  So proud of you guys and managing something this big with so little help, and so immensely happy that you like (kinda sounds like love?) the house!

We had help, we paid movers! And we do love the house.

2 hours ago, Rinna said:

In my house, no project is complete until someone cries (me) and someone bleeds (usually my husband, occasionally me as well).

Projects that don't involve multiple trips to the hardware store don't count either.

Today is a good day. We cleaned our old apartment and turned in the keys. My Mother in Law was a huge help. We are exhausted though, the parts that involved carrying things out to vehicles and throwing away trash were through brutal heat. (High 90s in sun with humidity). We then went to small group where we nerded out more about the Enneagram. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We then went to small group where we nerded out more about the Enneagram.

I had an hour-long discussion about the Enneagram with my grandma the other day ... I wish you could have been there. It was epic.  :D  I've been thinking about my type; I need to go back and find the sermon on Fours again. We tend to think about our massive emotional-ness as something to be toned down or controlled or put in perspective, but I want to think about whether it's also a gift to be celebrated and employed, too. What are you guys learning about yourselves and your types?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

I had an hour-long discussion about the Enneagram with my grandma the other day ... I wish you could have been there. It was epic.  :D  I've been thinking about my type; I need to go back and find the sermon on Fours again. We tend to think about our massive emotional-ness as something to be toned down or controlled or put in perspective, but I want to think about whether it's also a gift to be celebrated and employed, too. What are you guys learning about yourselves and your types?

https://www.iamalivingstone.org/content.cfm?id=213&download_id=247

That's the link for the sermon about Fours. We discussed the head triad last night, and there were several sixes there. As a nine, my stress point is a six, and it was difficult to see the positive side of the six. It also helped me realize why I acted the way I did as a kid when I was so unhappy, and why I was scared of so much. We also learned the couple leading our group are a six (the wife) and a seven (the husband) which we suspect is the same combo as Sra. Tanque's parents. A lot about them made sense that night.

For those lost with all the numbers, this site may help. https://www.enneagraminstitute.com/type-descriptions

• Like 1