• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Endor

Run along now

Recommended Posts

G'day! I'm a Ranger, back after a hiatus and decided to join the scouts for a challenge as I've recently taken up running.

 

2 weeks ago I finished my first Couch to 5K, culminating in an organised 5k event for charity (31:22 finish) and then didn't run for 2 weeks. Not wanting to let all that hard work training up to the 5k distance go to waste I've signed up for a 10k running over the Sydney Harbour Bridge and started training for it using a 5k to 10k app from the same company that I followed for the C25K. 

 

Bit of background, been on NF for many years, live in the land down under, ex-crossfitter gone to seed (broke my foot and stacked on weight), done lots of weight training and general fitness stuff in the past but no running other than cross country at school 25 years ago (yikes!). 

 

Goals for this challenge:

- Run 3 times a week (follow the app)

- No alcohol

- Eat real food only (mostly this means no trashy snacks like chips and chocolate)

 

Starting weight: 95.2kg

Finishing weight: sub 90 would be awesome, let's see....)

 

I like memes and gifs so feel free to spam me :)

 

Image result for running memes

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been getting pain my left shin area so i decided to try some different shoes as my existing ones are donkeys years old Colombia trail shoes. They're too small really but i didn't have anything else.

New running shoes!

Asics GT-2000 7

Hope they are good for a beginner training for a 10k, i did zero research.....

67a22eba7f03d62bb51607427d2b8f7d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Endor...I'll try to move your thread over to the new forum once it starts. I'm a newbie at this, so it's good practice.

 

For your shins a little bit of warming up can really help. Just sit in a chair and rotate your foot in a circle 10 times each way. You can also tap your toe from side to side. Or may favorite, draw the alphabet with your toe. Of course this can also be good after a workout.

 

Another thing that helps is running on a softer surface. Are you on concrete? Asphalt is softer. Trail is of course even softer, but that's it's own beast.

 

The shoes are a solid brand, but I couldn't see the model name. The most important thing is that the fit (as you know!). Sometimes I still get this wrong...I think they fit in the store but then they aren't actually as awesome as I thought they were. The second most important thing is the amount of support vs. cushioning. That depends on your own biomechanics, like if your feet "roll in" (over pronate). If you don't know at all, the easiest thing is to get a "stability shoe" with is pretty much middle-of-the road. The other thing to consider is the "drop." Most running shoes have a drop of ~6-14 mm, meaning the heel is higher than the toe. "Zero drop" shoes have become popular. I don't have a strong feeling about them, except that people need to be careful when they first start using them. Lots of people try too much too soon and end up with Achilles injuries.

 

...So if you want to do a little after-the-fact research, google your shoes and find out if they are cushioned/stability/motion-control and check into the drop. Or just post the model and I can take a look :-)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Xena said:

.I'll try to move your thread over to the new forum once it starts

D'oh didn't realise I had posted in the old one....there was only 1 thread in the scouts so i assumed it must be the new one!!! 

 

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Hi Endor...I'll try to move your thread over to the new forum once it starts. I'm a newbie at this, so it's good practice.

 

For your shins a little bit of warming up can really help. Just sit in a chair and rotate your foot in a circle 10 times each way. You can also tap your toe from side to side. Or may favorite, draw the alphabet with your toe. Of course this can also be good after a workout.

 

Another thing that helps is running on a softer surface. Are you on concrete? Asphalt is softer. Trail is of course even softer, but that's it's own beast.

 

The shoes are a solid brand, but I couldn't see the model name. The most important thing is that the fit (as you know!). Sometimes I still get this wrong...I think they fit in the store but then they aren't actually as awesome as I thought they were. The second most important thing is the amount of support vs. cushioning. That depends on your own biomechanics, like if your feet "roll in" (over pronate). If you don't know at all, the easiest thing is to get a "stability shoe" with is pretty much middle-of-the road. The other thing to consider is the "drop." Most running shoes have a drop of ~6-14 mm, meaning the heel is higher than the toe. "Zero drop" shoes have become popular. I don't have a strong feeling about them, except that people need to be careful when they first start using them. Lots of people try too much too soon and end up with Achilles injuries.

 

...So if you want to do a little after-the-fact research, google your shoes and find out if they are cushioned/stability/motion-control and check into the drop. Or just post the model and I can take a look :-)

 

Thank you for the awesome advice, I didn't consider any of this apart from the fit. I have pretty wide feet so the store assistant put me in some 4E Nike's, err they were black and expensive is all I know about those ones! They felt pretty good but then I asked to try a 2E and he gave me the different ones which I ended up buying, they are  Asics GT-2000 7These immediately felt like they supported my feet better and then he said oh yeah i forgot to ask about your arches, they look partially collapsed so these are better for you because they have arch support. This is a link to them: https://www.asics.com/au/en-au/gt-2000-7-(2e-wide)/p/0020003756.003

 

They also have all these fandango "technology" features which I have no idea about! I walked in them for about 6k yesterday and they felt pretty good. I get a bit of a weird feeling right in the centre of the bottom of my foot but I think that will wear in hopefully. 

 

I just looked them up and they are for people who over-pronate, so now I know that's a thing! I looked at my old shoes and they are worn on the outside edge more so it seems he got it roght and I do over-pronate/have collapsed arches to some extent. Seems I got the right shoe! I can't see anything about "drop" but they have a pretty big heel and I feel like they "push me forward" so that kind of matches what you said. 

 

I'm running on concrete footpath and asphalt for about 1k until i get to the sports fields then grass for about 4k then 1k home again. I'm doing laps of a the fields, just 2 laps so far but I expect this will increase as I progress. 

 

I'll have a go at the warm up tips too, all I do right now is walk 5 mins before I start running. 

 

Of course now I have new shoes it's immediately turned to torrential rain and is set to last for next 4 days!! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Zero research is just the right amount sometimes.

Apparently you are right in this case! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GT2000 is completely legit.

Worn on the outside isn't always a sign of pronating (worn on the inside would be), but they guy looked at your feet and most people tend to overpronate at least some. Sounds like you are good to go!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Endor said:

D'oh didn't realise I had posted in the old one....there was only 1 thread in the scouts so i assumed it must be the new one!!! 

Nope, it was just a super lonely forum last time around. We're gonna fix that!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

boohoo.gif

 

I went running in my new shoes and it rained really hard and now they are wet and dirty with mud.

 

Then I got home and got in the shower and...

 

giphy.gif

 

Jeebus my nips are so sore!! I'm guessing they got hard in the rain and then chafed on my shirt, muthertrucker they are stinging!! 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Endor said:

I went running in my new shoes and it rained really hard and now they are wet and dirty with mud.

But that's the great part, right? :D

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Endor said:

I went running in my new shoes and it rained really hard and now they are wet and dirty with mud.

Do you have a moment to talk about Obstacle Course Running? :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stay a while and listen!

D6C3A0DD652DBBD84A2EFAE4740699035825A788

 

I found that shin compressions, specifically Zensah, helped me alot when I was having trouble with shin spints

 

As for the Nipples - you use body glide, Vaseline or even deoderant basically anything that has a gel that help reduce chalfing.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, zenLara said:

But that's the great part, right? :D

Nooooo, not my beautiful shoes!!

 

giphy.gif 

 

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

drax.jpg?resize=640,360

Yes yes, I feel your pain! 

 

8 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

giphy.gif

Ooh I never knew Homer has a nubin! 

 

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

f63b93d5e85b326eb54dc0c41def18de.jpg

Ermagherd, that's where I was headed! Deffo need to sort this for next time!

 

7 hours ago, Strickland5 said:

Stay a while and listen!

D6C3A0DD652DBBD84A2EFAE4740699035825A788

 

I found that shin compressions, specifically Zensah, helped me alot when I was having trouble with shin spints

 

As for the Nipples - you use body glide, Vaseline or even deoderant basically anything that has a gel that help reduce chalfing.

Thank you, I have not heard of shin compressions, I will look them up. I tore the calf in that leg playing squash a few years ago, I'm thinking maybe it's a weak spot. Body glide sounds kinky! I'll look that up also, thank you for the insights. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Endor said:

Body glide sounds kinky!


Not necessarily, but I would be nervous about borrowing some from anyone else except in an absolute emergency.

 

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Do you have a moment to talk about Obstacle Course Running? :D

Have you heard the good news?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Endor said:

Have you heard the good news?!

ERMAGHERD YOU'RE PREG..... I mean, no, absolutely no, I haven't... Please tell me...

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ERMAGHERD YOU'RE PREG..... I mean, no, absolutely no, I haven't... Please tell me...
Lol i look preggers at the moment! No, that's what the johova's say when they knock on your door

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Run 3 for the first week of 10k training. 30 mins steady run, I got around 5k which surprised me, I was pretty knackered at the end, didn't have much left in the tank. 

 

Running is turning out to be a learning experience, today I learnt about Runner's stomach at the end of my run, pretty unpleasant. I think I was quite dehydrated before I ran and I don't take any water with me, guess I have to get in the habit of that. 

 

Do people generally take water on runs? How far is it worth it for? (e.g. you wouldn't bother for 3k but you might for 5k?)

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Endor said:

Do people generally take water on runs? How far is it worth it for? (e.g. you wouldn't bother for 3k but you might for 5k?)

As long as you're well hydrated before and remember to hydrate after, you should be fine. I've done a bunch of races up to 10k and more, never carried any water with me, mainly because I find the sound and sensation of shifting water way too distracting. Sure, some of the races had hydration stations along the course, but more often than not I skip those, drinking anything mid-run goes to my stomach like lead.

 

Depending on your personal variables, you may want to look into energy jellies. Super light and easy to carry/consume, packed with energy to keep you going and electrolytes to prevent muscle cramps.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now