Xena

Xena makes a new start

Hello there! I'm a long-time veteran of the Rangers Guild ready to make a new start with the Scouts. It makes tons of sense...I'm mostly a long distance runner and a good fit with Scouts. I think I resisted joining for all these years because something insides of me says "but but but...I do other things!"

That's true, I do lots of other things and I bet you do too. But I have a big old dose of endurance training mixed in there. I'm also trying to think more broadly about being a Scout. With all that time on the road/trail, I have some time to think, look ahead, and reflect back. We are each on our own long journey, and I think everyone has at least a little bit of Scout in them.

So my goals this time:

1. Run 100 miles (4 week goal). I'm working with a coach, so I mostly just do what he tells me. It should work out over 100 miles. If I do cardio cross-training, I'm also allowed to count that (1 mile/10 min) up to a total of 25 miles per week (running plus cross training). I can only count more than 25 miles for the week if it is all running.

2. 60 min plank and 3 sessions of Ab Ripper (Start in zero week, take as long as I need, no deadline). The plank can be broken up as much as needed into segments of at least 30 seconds. Last time I did this, it took me about 9 weeks. This time I'll aim for much shorter. I added the Ab ripper this time to force myself to do more than just planking. I'm also adding a new restriction. Each day that I do planking, I have to do include some variations (3 leg raises on each side, or 10 "rainbows" or 10 "back and forth").

3. 16 days under 2300 calories. I'm going to start this in zero week and skip the week of July 22 (will be traveling).

4. Mobility 3x per week (at least 10 min), best 4 weeks out of 5. So I'll start in zero week and run through the end of the challenge. Success will be meeting this goal for at least 4 of the 5 weeks.

I also have some leftover goals:

1. 99 pushups (no deadline): The original goal was 100/200/100 knee/negative/full pushups. At time of writing (Sat 6/22), I've done almost all the knee and negatives (95/163/1). I should have just full pushups left by the time this challenge officially kicks off.

2. Sushi list (no deadline): I started with a list of 10 tasks. When I finish it I get to treat myself to a couple of sushi rolls. At time of writing I have 5 things left. Exciting things like cleaning all the refrigerator shelves, making a will, and moving a whole bunch of computer files from one cloud-based account to another.

• Like 14

I love all your goals so much I want to steal them all but I might have a modicum of decorum and just steal your sushi list

Looking forward to seeing you do amazing things with the Scouts!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Here to watch you rock out at scouting.

6 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Xena leading the Scout Guild makes so much sense!

6 hours ago, deftona said:

I love all your goals so much I want to steal them all but I might have a modicum of decorum and just steal your sushi list emoji3.png

Thanks everyone!!! Deffy, I'm honored that you are stealing the sushi list. It's probably the best idea I've had in my many years on NF :-)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, deftona said:

I love all your goals so much I want to steal them all but I might have a modicum of decorum and just steal your sushi list emoji3.png

Be easier if you just stole the sushi.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Big double take when I saw a 60 mins plank goal!!! Then I realised it's broken up, but I was curious what the world record is......4hrs20mins!! Insane.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Endor said:

Big double take when I saw a 60 mins plank goal!!! Then I realised it's broken up

Yup...it's fun to make it sound more exciting than it really is.

2 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

I'm pretty sure half the Ranger guild followed you here to cheer you on, and I'm one of them! :lol: Following to cheer you and your incredible goals on!

Thanks Nic! Look forward to seeing what you're up to this time around too :-)

Today

• 5 knee and 5 negative pushups. Not much but something (and finished out those knee pushups) 100/168/1 out of 100/200/100.
  • (Running goal hasn't started yet) Ran 2 miles...that's my usual Monday morning shakeout run.
  • 1.5 minutes plank (1.5/60 min done)
  • Made calorie goal (1/16 days)
  • Mobility. YES! I was feeling pretty stiff this morning, so I did it first thing. It really helped (1/3 for this week).

Tomorrow

I'm hosting a dinner party, so I may not be on the forums too much. I will be back in full force on Wednesday.

• Like 7

On 6/25/2019 at 1:40 PM, Mistr said:

Following!

Happy you're here!

Yesterday

5 miles. 15 negatives (183/1 of 200/1 negative/full pushups)...tried really hard to get a full pushup! Stretching (2 of 3 for this week). 1.5 min plank (3/60).

TACO TUESDAY PARTY...did not even try to make calorie goal. Had too much wine, but it was worth it. Was able to hang out together with good friends from out of town.

Today

Recovering a bit from Taco Tuesday. Hard exercise didn't seem like a great idea. This is not a common occurrence...I'll be back on track tomorrow. Actually I mean that literally...I need to do a track workout. I also unexpectedly had to buy a new fridge. This was mostly unrelated to taco Tuesday, except the Klondike bars I offered as dessert were pretty mushy. Not sure about calories today. Will do some math after I log off.

• Like 4

My sympathy on the death of your fridge. I hope you didn't lose too much food. I know how much work it is to find a fridge that fits your kitchen and has only the bells and whistles that you will really use.

Nice that you got to spend time with your friends.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DJtrippyT said:

Hi!!!!!

image.png

9 hours ago, Mistr said:

My sympathy on the death of your fridge. I hope you didn't lose too much food. I know how much work it is to find a fridge that fits your kitchen and has only the bells and whistles that you will really use.

Not so bad. Since I live alone, I could get a pretty simple one (one of those dreaded 18 cu. ft. stacked fridge/freezers that @Tanktimus the Encourager doesn't like). The one I had came with the house 9 years ago and was old then. This will be an improvement. PLUS cleaning the fridge was on my sushi list....now I don't exactly have to do it.

I'm gonna throw out a few freezer things, but I think most of it is ok. The bigger problem is really that I made way too much food for taco Tuesday. Some of it will go bad before I can finish it.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:07 PM, Xena said:

Recovering a bit from Taco Tuesday.

Fully recovered and did legit exercise today. Got in my interval workout out the track (10x400 with 200 jog between). 11 negatives (194/1 neg/full) and 2 min plank (5/60). Made my calorie goal (2/16). Planning to do mobility later, but we'll see. With the pushups, I'm going to keep trying full pushups and doing either 10-15 negatives or ~30 knee pushups each day. I'll report what I do, but it doesn't directly count toward the goal.

• Like 6

THERE you are.

Careful, all this Ranger/Scout mixing could lead to some real shenanigans!

Sensible move though - you may actually get some useful advice instead of just awe!

Goals look great as usual!

I always wondered why you weren't a Scout! It makes so much sense. 

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

What you want is freezer on the bottom and French doors on top. Maximizes usable freezer minimizes scan time when searching the fridge. This is the hill I die on

I recently had to get a new fridge and this is the exact kind we ended up with.

On 6/22/2019 at 9:40 PM, Xena said:

2. 60 min plank and 3 sessions of Ab Ripper (Start in zero week, take as long as I need, no deadline). The plank can be broken up as much as needed into segments of at least 30 seconds. Last time I did this, it took me about 9 weeks. This time I'll aim for much shorter. I added the Ab ripper this time to force myself to do more than just planking. I'm also adding a new restriction. Each day that I do planking, I have to do include some variations (3 leg raises on each side, or 10 "rainbows" or 10 "back and forth").

So...what does "Ab Ripper" mean? It sounds brutal.

5 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

What you want is freezer on the bottom and French doors on top. Maximizes usable freezer minimizes scan time when searching the fridge. This is the hill I die on

The reason we didn't go with those is that the French doors on the fridge are so deep you don't get much square footage on the shelves in the fridge, even on the deep models.

22 hours ago, Xena said:

one of those dreaded 18 cu. ft. stacked fridge/freezers

I would like to put in a vote for the stacked style. We bought a nice fridge when we moved to our current house (side by side style) and there isn’t a day I don’t regret not getting the stacked type. 

On the other hand anything was an improvement from the circa 1984 fridge in our old place (shudders)

edited to add: I had not heard of the French door type @Sloth the Enduring Mentions, but now I like that idea even better. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DJtrippyT said:

I would like to put in a vote for the stacked style. We bought a nice fridge when we moved to our current house (side by side style) and there isn’t a day I don’t regret not getting the stacked type. 

On the other hand anything was an improvement from the circa 1984 fridge in our old place (shudders)

edited to add: I had not heard of the French door type @Sloth the Enduring Mentions, but now I like that idea even better. 

He means something like this:

EW23BC87SS-HOV_628_HERO.png

I never want to have a freezer-on-top style fridge again. I'm 6 feet tall. I hate having to bend down to see stuff in my fridge.

• Like 3

Been unofficially following, might as well make it official :)

I thought about stealing your cumulative goals setup but decided it's probably best to wait a challenge or two

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 6:57 PM, DJtrippyT said:

I would like to put in a vote for the stacked style.

I see everyone's points, but....I have a small kitchen, I'm just one person, and the freezer on top style has never bothered me. I'm gonna go with it and save all my extra $$$ for more beer and tacos.

On 6/29/2019 at 12:49 AM, jedi_mind said:

These goals look awesome Xena I'm taking notes on how to structure my challenges better

Thanks! As you know, it takes some fiddling to figure out what works for you.

20 hours ago, Maigs said:

Been unofficially following, might as well make it official :)

I thought about stealing your cumulative goals setup but decided it's probably best to wait a challenge or two

Good to see you, officially or otherwise! If you are following along the track you mentioned earlier, you'll have some awesome OCR training coming up! Will swing by and check it out.

Today

11 miler in oppressive humidity. Will start earlier next week to try for more of the morning coolness. Some planking, some pushup attempts. Not sure yet how the calories are gonna shake out or if I'll make the calorie goal (think so, but gotta do some math).

Zero week:

Running...something like 28 miles this week, but doesn't count toward goal

Pushups...finished up the negatives and have been working on them every day. But still only at 1/100 full.

Plank: 10.25/60 min done. No ab ripper yet...will do tomorrow for sure.

Mobility: At least 3 times this week. Weekly goal made

Calories: So far made goal twice this week, and probably a third time (2/16 or 3/16). This goal kind of suffered from taco tuesday party. I was eating weird leftovers and too lazy to calculate calories. Might be sketchy for a couple more days. I'm reluctant to buy more food until my new fridge comes on Wed.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:42 PM, NeverThatBored said:

So...what does "Ab Ripper" mean? It sounds brutal.

It's plenty hard enough for me, but not as bad as it sounds. It's a 15-min video from Tony Horton/P90X/Beach Body.

• Like 4